Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I work in the office for a roofing company. We're cleaning up after one of those dipshit 'handyman' guys right now on someone's roof. He took this poor slob's money and installed architectural laminate shingles on a dead flat section of roof. Jesus Christ. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Blistex posted:

The contractor could have sprayed it with a real reserving solution (similar to the that green PT solution). Or he could have stained it or. . . so many options if you're already spraying it.

It's the sketchy principle of the thing, man.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I just have one last picture of the disaster that I met in March: the aerial view.

Organic! :suicide:

Oh my god.

I know enough about roofing to get hives just looking at this.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

pac man frogs posted:

Oooh, chandelier chat. I've been waiting for this.

This is in the bathroom of the house I just rented:

I dunno much about whether things are up to code, but this can't be anywhere near it.

I think we may have this exact same fixture in our dining room.

Somewhere, there is a catalog of cheap fixtures that you get sent by some all-knowing supplier that finds out as soon as you buy a rental property.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Yeah, maybe it's gas! Turn it on and find out. :v:

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Hooray! Where's my prize?

Also, what is a natural gas line doing in a closet? Think maybe there was once a gas water heater in there or something?

Think of it like an entomologist's killing jar, but fun size.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

ShadowStalker posted:

Trying to get some repeat business with a guaranteed future roof leak.

There are good roofers and bad roofers. I had to get involved with the roof replacement on my parent's house that they are trying to sell. They replaced the roof and it leaks when it rains because the idiots didn't do the flashing around the chimney correctly. Finally got them out there to take a look and they tried to say it looks good, must be the plumbing leaking. I got on the roof with the guy and had to point out the gap and he played the "I didn't see that" card. This guy actually went to his truck and grabbed caulk because he was going to use that to fill the gap instead of removing the flashing and doing it correctly. Finally, after threatening a lawsuit, he sent a crew out to fix the chimney flashing. I supervised those idiots to make sure they did it right.

People kill me sometimes. It wouldn't have taken them an extra 5 minutes and less that $20 worth of materials to do the job right the first time. Have some drat pride in your work.

My dad owns a roofing company. It's been in business for 28 years now. There is no touching the hate he has for lovely, fly-by-night roofers that pop up and disappear all the time--it's him that has to deal with everyone starting out suspicious and paranoid after getting burned. I imagine decent auto mechanics have the same peeve.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

nthalp posted:

Agreed.. I've seen things man.
I have… seen things you people wouldn't believe…
Switches hanging from power cables off a jury rigged outlet wired into an emergency exit sign.
I watched power lights glittering like a tiny star on and off on an inaccessible router someone cemented into a floor drain.
All those… moments… will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears… in… rain. Time… to die…
:smith:

Go with "All those... packets... will be lost in transit" and you're golden, I think.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

FCKGW posted:

This guy is possibly the most annoying person on YouTube but if you put it on silent you can see this guys amazing Bitcoin mining shed. Gaze upon the power extension cord hanging from the second story air conditioner and through several puddles, pushing an obviously higher load than rated for. Marvel at the single 120mm computer case fan cooling the entire operation, a fan exposed to the elements and letting rain inside on a frequent basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ylVOLvoiY

Dude needs to clean off his upper lip real bad. You got to commit. Grow that stache or don't.

Had to skip around on that video. Looks like he's about ready to start using some all-natural free water cooling from the sky.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

We refuse to do it, professionally. Not willing to warranty it, and state law requires us to provide a warranty. Or rather, if we hedged a warranty with enough caveats to make ourselves and our insurance happy, nobody would read it and then they'd get really pissy later. Much simpler to just refuse that kind of work.

Usually when we finally get called in to tear some three-layer monstrosity off, there's godawful plywood damage. But we're in the PNW, so that may vary with climate.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Your warranty is what, 8-10 years tops? You don't think multi-layered shingle sandwich will last?

The real issue is that it muddles the question of responsibility too much, and the last company that touched it will catch the blame. So if their 30 year shingle is shot in fifteen or twenty because the bottom layer is curling or some drat thing, who are they mad at? If something is leaking because the old roof is doing something weird, who do they expect to 'just fix it'? It doesn't matter if we're right about what's causing the problem, and we can have given them as many warnings as we like beforehand, all the customer will remember is that we 'didn't take care of them'.

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 20, 2015

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

That looks depressingly like a lot of my neighborhood. You can play Spot The Foreclosure because banks will repaint to sell them, but they seem to be allergic to fixing roofs.

Weird. We end up dealing with a lot of realtors, and the impression I'd gotten is that lenders will kill the deal if they can't get either an inspection saying the roof has at least 3-5 years of life left in it or at least a signed contract to have the roof replaced.

Maybe they're hoping to pass it off to a cash buyer, and waiting until a buyer forces the issue to do anything about it.

Motronic posted:

This is because you work for a legit company that doesn't go out of business and reform every 2-5 years to escape liability.

As it should be.

But my point still stands......this is general practice and is normally okay. Unless the deck is already soft (which is usually is because people wait until poo poo is leaking) in which case you're just polishing a turd.

30 years this year. Your 'unless' is the real catch, though. People looking to have an actual roofing company do a roof-over are being cheap, but aren't ambitious enough to do it themselves. There is a high correlation with pre-existing roof conditions, there.

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 20, 2015

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Javid posted:

We're doing four nails/staples across the middle of the shingle, about an inch above where the next row will overlap. We started hand nailing Monday, then yesterday he brought a staple gun and we were making good time using 1" crown staples, today the customer showed up and pitched a fit about how staples suck and all the shingles would blow off, shortly before idly musing that he's not a roofer and doesn't know how we can manage to walk around up there.

Staples do suck. They provide a nice bend point for the shingle to tear along and do indeed result in more blow-offs.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wouldn't nails that long penetrate through the roof deck? It's presumably not thicker than 3/4" at the very most and I doubt you have another 3/4" worth of roofing material on top of that.

I need to see if my framing nailgun can take roofing nails. It's supposed to take the kinds of nails that are connected together by plastic, not wire (EDIT: answer: probably not; it only takes nails down to a length of 2" at the shortest, which is definitely too long).

The nails are, in fact, supposed to go all the way through. Well, specifically, it's supposed to go into the deck at least 3/4", and through the deck with at least 1/8" showing on the far side if the deck plywood is less than 3/4" thick. Most deck plywood is 1/2".

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 22, 2015

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

He actually painted some other rooms pretty well (from a technical point of view), but his color choices were...questionable:

This was one of the walls in the master bedroom. Our theory was that he didn't have enough yellow or red leftover from other rooms to paint this wall, so he just smeared them together...or something.

For optimal clashing, the other 3 walls in the bedroom were blue:

Hollywood Movie Poster color theory. Nice.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I actually hope that's in a snow-prone area so that it collapses before some poor schmuck roofer is walking around on it trying to bid a reroof.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Drake_263 posted:

"Shitter's clogged."

Jesus Christ. :stonk:

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

A lot of people in the margarita machine community have already put together some pretty good margarita mixing trucks. Common thing to do is get an old Unimog flatbed, mount an Albers and Tomlinson rotary with external drive so you can hook it directly to the PTO, and tack up a dispensing frame that hangs off the back. You can easily get 12 MPM out of that without stressing the engine, and the diesel is fuel-efficient enough that you can run that rate consistently through an entire sporting event on a single tank and still have enough to get home. Can't say I've ever seen a mobile unit built out of a cement mixer, though; that'd be a sight.

I'm not sure if you're making GBS threads me or not.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Wiring in the UK is on totally different principles than wiring in the US, I've discovered. We do things that are horribly against each others' code, IIRC.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Motronic posted:

Stop talking out of your rear end, Zhentar.

You need at least one rated and certified valve at the beginning of the system. Otherwise you can't service it without shutting off domestic water. You also want/possibly are required to have a water flow switch in there tied into a panel or at least a water gong. You also need to have a rated pressure gauge so when the system is tested (which requires more valves and fittings) so the inspector can see the residual water pressure and confirm activation of the flow switch. And very likely a rated expansion tank.

We aren't talking about installing this in a chicken coop . You don't just guess at placement, k factor, pipe size and waterflow. 13d has reduced requirements, but they aren't simply "have your plumber cobble some things together with pex and we'll call it good." Depending on jurisdiction and placement you're looking at a minimum of blazemaster for risers along with full waterflow calculations, line drawing, floor plan with placement and pressure certification from the water company and cut sheets for every component. Stamped by an engineer.

And if you give a poo poo about what your house looks like you don't use $12 heads. Drop pendents with escutcheons are pretty standard.

And let's not even get into areas of the country where you'd need an antifreeze mix or a dry valved zone when installing into an attic space.

And what c0ldfuse said.

Great post+red text combo here.

Just to throw some context numbers out, I found the escutcheon for a Viking concealed head, and that's $25 by itself. Can't find a price for the head itself--I suppose that's proprietary information or something.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

ductonius posted:

Where are you that mobile dishwashers are common? I have seen exactly one not-built-in household dishwasher in my life. It was my parents, when I was a child, over two decades ago.

I think he means built-in in the sense of having cabinetry fronts so you can't tell they're there when the doors are closed.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I’m a fan of the oriel window, not so much the rest.

It’s presumably been standing since the Year of Our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Ninety‐five, though, and it looks to be in good shape, so I have to give it credit for that.

Would be pretty badass with a matching oriel on the other corner.

I mean, if you're gonna be a castle, be a castle, right?

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I can't have houseplants because the cat will relentlessly seek them out, eat parts of them, and then barf those parts up. Every day until the plant is gone.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Sounds like you need to switch to terrariums, which also gets rid of the whole "maintenance" issue. I have one in my bedroom that I haven't touched in three years except to dust, and the plant is perfectly happy.

The terrariums are full of snakes.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I think it's concrete.

How much concrete, would you say?

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh god there's no bathroom

Pictures 16 and 17 seem to imply a bathroom, but there is no positive proof of the existence of a toilet.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

When you want to bump off the health inspector, just show them this and wait for the coronary.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

If the cheapest house shape to build is a square, I hate to think how much this one cost:

Looks weirdly normal on the inside though.

I said to myself, "Oh man, that's right out of 1985 in the PNW" and lo, it's in Tacoma and was built in 1986. That interior is hitting a direct wire to my childhood.

I love this house with absolutely zero irony and would happily live in it as soon as I changed the countertops and got those hosed up skylights fixed.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You would think that the economics of house building would work out that it'd be cheaper to hire the people that don't gently caress up.

There's only so many of those guys in town, for starters. Also, piece work is really common in construction. You tell a dude 'I'll pay you fifty bucks to do that', and he gets fifty bucks for it regardless of how many times you have to tell him to fix it. The worker still tracks his hours, and you work out what his hourly pay for that chunk of time is when you pay him (because everything government-related is in $/hour). If that goes below minimum wage, you still have to pay him minimum wage, but now the dude is at the top of your 'replace this guy' list. If it goes into overtime, you figure out the flat time rate for whatever piecework he did in overtime, and you pay time and a half on that rate.

That's all if you're an above-board contractor. If you're not, then the only hours going on his time card are the ones you think it should have taken, and overtime mysteriously never happens. That's one of the ways wage theft happens in construction, and it's always an open secret among construction workers in town as to who will engage in that kind of dicking-around. That circles around to point one--especially in a hot building market, some companies will find it completely impossible to hire good workers because they've been effectively blackballed by every skilled guy in town.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Anybody remember those pebble-filled walls, like at an Elementary school, where the pebbles were like 2-5mm in diameter and sometimes had shells?

I know this seems like a fever dream, but I distinctly remember my Elementary and Junior High years picking rocks/shells off of the wall.

I never picked the aggregate off myself, but I remember seeing the pits where other students had.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

how the hell else am I gonna become a jedi if I don't start out as a moisture farmer in the middle of nowhere

You could definitely farm a lot of moisture near Eugene.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I hate stoves with controls at the back. Yeah, lemme just reach over all this boiling poo poo, it's cool, nothing will ever go wrong.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Spoken like someone without a toddler.

Got a 19-month-old, actually. She's reached up at the controls a couple times, gotten very firmly scolded, and now prefers to spend her time in the kitchen unloading all the ground-level cabinets.

It's a gas stove, so she wouldn't manage to turn it on and burn herself anyway--just asphyxiate or blow us up.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

This really is the wrong thread for this reddit find.

I had to take a moment to compose myself when I got to the mechanicals.

I've got something wrong with it--the roof.

Yes, the manufacturer says you can use those shingles down to 2:12, but the manufacturer also says they warranty the shingles to last for as long as you own the house, and we know that's bullshit. It'll be fine when it's new, and I have to concede that at R-80 (holy poo poo) he is unlikely to have a lot of ice dam issues on it, but it just saws across every instinct I have. Also, it looks like they installed it when it was really cold. You can do that, but asphalt shingles like that are relying on an adhesive to stick the bottom of the tab down to the course of shingles below. That adhesive generally relies on being sun-warmed to actually stick. Installing them that cold, you're either using a lot of labor to stick the tabs down by hand, or just waiting for summer for the roof to actually stick itself together. I've seen that go wrong, and doing that on such a low-slope roof feels extra risky. Also also, OSB just flies the gently caress apart if you do have a leak and it gets wet, and the way he's got that thing insulated, not realizing he even has a leak is a very real possibility (seen that too--customer says they have a little wet spot on their ceiling, turns out he's had a pinhole leak slowly soaking the plywood for the last three winters, everything is awful and then he claims we're trying to scam him). Those also look like pretty base-level shingles--they don't match the finish quality of the rest of the house, to me. Furthermore, what is this torchdown poo poo in 2017?

The way he's spending on everything else in that house, and with the way it's designed aesthetically, I'd suggest standing-seam metal on it. But the roof is so often the first thing to go when people need to trim the budget somewhere.

EDIT: Oh, right. And inward-sloping roofs are always stupid. You're pointing the water at your interior walls and making it so that when your flashing does eventually fail, it has a hose pointed at it. He at least has decent crickets built in there. I've seen houses that somehow got built with a roof slope just dead loving ending into a wall, with predictable results.

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Standing-seam steel roofing runs about 50% more than arch shingles here if you're doing, like, two plain straight sides, and quickly skyrockets to 2x or more if you've got a bunch of cut up valleys and/or skylights.