Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's me, the engine that renders absolutely everything regardless of whether or not the player can actually see it, or is even capable of ever seeing it
I loved your work with those buffalo in FFXV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Swole-butt.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, really? (checks) Well I'll be, they really did program him with 1 charisma, he also has 5 intelligence. So he's good with machines, but bad at understanding and dealing with people, and he's smart, but nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is or even close to the smartest person in the Mojave, and they found a way to reflect this in his stats.

The people who made this game really put a lot of thought into it, I love it.
Canonical NPC SPECIAL scores are awful though, Caesar has like 4 Charisma or something stupid.

(the Brotherhood needs a shakeup but Veronica has the right idea and they could ultimately become a force for good, fight me)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neurolimal posted:

It just seems callous to favor an autistic technocrat instead of a recovering earth littered with terraforming kits and factions that are actively trying to learn from humanity's past mistakes.
hey now, not littered, it's really hard to find a GECK given the sample size of every Fallout game

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure you still get the battle at the dam even if Caesar's dead.
You do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

El_Elegante posted:

God bless gamepedia’s fallout wiki.

characteristics: had a long fuckin dick

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Raygereio posted:

Concidering he wrote Grieving Mother & Durance in PoE, we're in pot calling the kettle black territory.
fiery whore of a goddess

that's five words, Durance's wordcount must be like ten total right

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, I remember Kreia being kinda hit and miss for me, but various factors I never ended up playing through her endgame screed more than once. Kotor 2 also did that thing of sticking actions into the player character's past without telling you about it first.
As someone just playing through KOROR2 for the first time, holy poo poo is Kreia ever an Avellone character and I hate her so much.

E: and Durance is an ok idea ruined by his huge misogyny

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ilitarist posted:

Van Graffs are hard to miss
Goddamn right they are, with your guns, when you shoot them to death

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
All right, you've all sold me on Viva New Vegas.

...so I got like ten minutes into setting up and Vanilla UI+ is complaining that it's overwritten by another mod. Yes it is, it's intended to be, "Vanilla HUD Remastered" has a deliberate patch to be compatible with VUI+ and I selected it, so why is it complaining and how do I stop it? I want to overwrite it. I know my load order.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 16, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

albany academy posted:

I just ignored anything that wasn't specified in the guide basically. are you using mo2?
I am. And it is specified in the guide - I'm not going off the rails here because I don't trust NV to hold together if I do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SpookyLizard posted:

if its crying in game i have no idea because i dont like vnv's choice in mods (and i dont trust anyone who thinks YUP is necessary)
It's crying in-game. A large red-texted black box that reappears/moves around the screen to stop you from trying to do anything. So I just disabled the offending patch-for-the-patch etc.

Now I'm able to start the game but the Vigor Tester model's missing (got a red triangle with a ! instead) and I can't figure out what mod's overwriting Doc Mitchell's house/the intro quest.

e: yeah I disabled everything I could find changing his house, and also no conflicts on the intro quest proper, nor the vigor tester model in the house itself...

edit: yes, apparently I needed to edit fallout.ini so that
SArchiveList=Fallout - Invalidation.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Textures2.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Meshes2.bsa, Fallout - Voices1.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa

that is... a weird fix. Must have missed that.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 16, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

steinrokkan posted:

Piper is specifically the one character where they did some motion capture animation for her cut scenes, and put some care in animating her conversations as well. But even she is wooden in most of her dialogue, and so is literally every single other character in the whole game. It's not as bad as FO3 / NV, but that isn't exactly high praise.
Nick Valentine at least has an excuse. I honestly felt like the engine handled his face pretty well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Getting there is not the hard part.
It's finding the speakers along the way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
have you considered toilet skeleton

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's weird how nobody actually gets mad at that one, because it's literally environmental skeletons and a nearby minute-long audio log about them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly California should be pretty well off, because the apocalypse happened in the 50s, so there wouldn't be the last 70 years of ruining the state's environment underground. No emptying the aquifers or fracking, possibly even more oil left underground since the US was moving away from fossil fuels. Maybe after nuclear fire and radiation devastated the forests, there wouldn't be enough growth to constantly catch fire either.

Although there already has been a Fallout with a lush, fertile environment, and it's Horizon Zero Dawn.
...uh, the nuclear war happened in 2077?ish. The 50s aesthetic is deliberate, the historical divergence was sometime in the 1960s, but the nuclear war was not in the 1950s.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Australia totally just truckin' along with infinite clean energy and all that, but they're still postapocalyptic aesthetic because, come on, it's Australia

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

whydirt posted:

Is Outer Worlds worth getting at the $30 sale price? My expectations are pretty low based on reviews around the forums, but I figure there are probably still a handful of cool moments in there?
Nope. I paid $0 for it when it was on Game Pass and I had a free month and it was... wow, was it ever bad. Gunplay's mediocre, gameplay's a straight line, no depth at all to the story.

(okay there's one funny quest where you commit insurance fraud and threaten a health insurance saleslady whose insurance only covers paper cuts, and a mostly-good joke about a depressed corporate mascot)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elderbean posted:

Is FO4 worth beating at all? I was dumb and bought it on release when I should have known better.

I remember spending most of my time making my own fun by building my base because everything else was bland. I especially didn't like having a voiced protagonist.
building your bases and doing the sidequests for whichever companions speak to you are the only two fun things in that game

like I had a blast running around with the snarky robot detective, the snarky reporter lady, and the robot butler for a couple hours each, that's the only truly memorable part of the entire game as far as I'm concerned

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Utgardaloki posted:

I look forward to every DLC except OWB every time. Love 'em all.
I look forward to OWB every time :colbert:

(between the two of us I guess we cover the entire audience, right)

(I do in fact hate the other three)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SkyeAuroline posted:

from the other thread

Please God don't let this be as much of a disaster as New California, it's sure shaping up that way though.
this is a joke right

like if you say this you get yelled at by that... bug or whatever it is

right?!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Walker posted:

My expectations are not high; if the writing as a whole is on par with the dumbest parts of 3 (Republic of Dave, "I'm a big, strong guy/lady") I'd be ok with that.
that's treason against Dave

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OldMemes posted:

Why are they making synth animals?
I think this one is literally "cause they wanna". Doesn't one of the other named scientists poo poo-talk the synth gorillas and the scientist who makes them for being completely useless?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OldMemes posted:

It's not a surveillance state? The securitrons just stand there passively, and only intervene when there's violence.
...And how do they know when there's violence? By watching.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Raygereio posted:

Always choose aesthetic over numbers.
That's why I use nothing but This Machine :911:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1361166912567140353

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gaius Marius posted:

It's the five tons of gold I stuck into Elijah's eye.
honestly I couldn't figure out how to make it out fast enough while carrying a body part

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Some of those bigshot mod teams should just remake Van buren so they don’t feel tempted to come up with their own writing/ideas and ending up with sex lizards and dubiously aged slave girls talking describing how their feet smell
okay I heard about the sex lizards but please tell me you're joking about the pedophile foot stuff

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's time to shamefully admit that several hundred hours into playing New Vegas I've still never recruited Raul or... the nightkin one with the Leo alternate personality, I literally only went up to that settlement once ever and I'm drawing a blank. I think I recruited Cass on one playthrough. Mostly just didn't want human companions after I did their stories once but those two were either painful to get to trigger (Raul) or too easily forgotten (... yknow).
poor Lily :(

the irony of her being forgotten when she, herself, is about forgetting is palpable

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

moot the hopple posted:

Whereas everyone else is a hater, I kill Oliver only so I can have more lottery tickets to leave on every Legion body at Cottonwood Cove as a calling card.
...can you pick them out of his pocket instead?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jisforjosh posted:

Outer Worlds is far more forgettable than Fallout 4
I wish that quest where you commit insurance fraud and threaten the insurance agent and she's like "please don't, my health insurance only covers paper cuts" was better. Mostly because it's literally the only thing I remember from that game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madeintaipei posted:

The sucidally depressed, moon-headed item vendor sticks out. Only because I know people like that.

I felt bad for laughing.
I totally forgot about him and he was great. So two things in that game that were strongly okay.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Discendo Vox posted:

(and some more self-inflicted quasi-immortals)
yeah don't forget the entire family of alien-blooded whatever the gently caress they are in 4

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's only one sentient creature in the series who definitely wasn't human, and the games don't seem very interested in exploring that concept further.
what about Mothership Zeta? the aliens were like actual aliens right

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
look it already dropped
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1071130/The_Procession_to_Calvary/

sorry rope kid I don't make the rules

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Clever Moniker posted:

Lmao!

Also thanks for reminding me this game is out.
It's also free on Game Pass (or was as of a few months ago) - I actually quite enjoyed it!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DaysBefore posted:

The NCR won't arrest you for the murder but you will have to pay import duties on the gold
look, we gotta pay for monorail repairs somehow

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
help me goons, I'm sure someone here knows the deep lore. I have this vague memory that the Nipton Lottery winner was like, a real person? a contest winner or something? a goon? I know rope kid posts here but I'm sure someone else would know as well. hook me up with knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arc Hammer posted:

The Lottery is a short story by Shirley Jackson that served as the inspiration for the Legion's actions at Nipton and even moreso as the inspiration for Vault 11's social experiment.
yeah, I know what The Lottery was, I mean literally Oliver Swanick the person, rather than this instance of "the guy who won the lottery"