Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've heard 3G Watchdog touted here a few times.
The "per-app" measure is only available in the pro version though. Still, it's pretty good in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone have an IRC app they'd like to recommend?
Yaaic is okay. Has nick coloring and highlights, is quite easy to setup and also rather ugly.

Personally, I use quassel, but that requires you to have a core running somewhere to connect to.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a calendar app that will let me place an event on two calendars at once? I want to add events to my work exchange calendar and my Google calendar at the same time. This way people don't schedule meetings with me while I'm at the dentist or something, but I can also see my appointments at home from outlook.
I haven't tried it myself, but jorte might be able to do that.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

computer parts posted:

Is there an all-in-one IM app sort of like Adium on OS X? I need to chat with a friend who uses QQ but (predictably) the official mobile app is in Chinese.
I use imo, it's pretty good. The beta is much better than the stable version though. Heard good things about im+ too, and I think it's developed by a goon even.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

The main thing pissing me off about flow is the stupid notifications. Stop hassling me to leave feedback or share you.
Go to the advanced settings, scroll down and uncheck "show tips and statistics". No more notifications from swiftkey.

E: sorry, "tips & achievements".

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

I was mainly looking for a good blog or site that posts highlights, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. Thanks for the help, though!
http://android.appstorm.net/

It's pretty hit-and-miss, but sometimes you get quite nice suggestions.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

More interested in what your battery indicator is in your notification menu.
Cyanogenmod has that option built in. You can use an icon, plain text, circle, circle with text and dotted circle I think.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Nope, it's icon, number with vertical indicator, circle with percentage, circle without percentage, or no indicator at all.
Aha, I thought they added an option for a dotted circle two weeks ago or so. I'm probably thinking of another rom or something.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Mierdaan posted:

Is there an IRC that doesn't completely suck? I've tried

AndIRC: history scrollbar in a channel resets to the top every time I switch back to it from another app.

AndroIRC: slow, and seems to have problems reconnecting when I switch WiFi networks, requiring manual intervention.

SimpleIRC: can't see a channel and that channel's user list at the same time.
I use quasseldroid, but that requires you to have a computer running the core component. You then just connect the client to the core and you're done.

I also sometimes use yaaic, which I think is decent.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Skywalker OG posted:

LMT's pretty cool. It's basically a non-rom-dependent version of ParanoidAndroid's PIE. It's more of a Navbar replacement but I like it because I can trigger the notification and quick settings menus from the side where my thumb can actually reach.
Only bad thing about it is that it requires root for pretty much anything but the recent apps switcher. The official explanation is that it needs it for things like menu key or back key, but for whatever reason it'll also require it to launch any apps.

Still, it's not bad I suppose.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Party Boat posted:

With Tweakdeck due to die soon, what are the recommended twitter apps? Ideally I'm looking for something that looks good across my phone (Galaxy S2 running 4.0.3) and tablet (7" Kindle Fire running Cyanogenmod 10.1 (shut up)) and supports multiple accounts. Facebook integration is by no means necessary, it's what drew me to Tweakdeck but I'm really not that bothered about it now.
I hardly use twitter myself any more, but your post reminded me of this article: http://android.appstorm.net/general/opinion/whats-the-best-android-twitter-client/

You should be able to get a few tips from that at least.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

jalopybrown posted:

Are there any really basic money tracking apps? Something I can just throw expenditure and money received into and it'll keep track of what I have remaining, I don't need any breakdowns by categories or even a history to look back up, just an app that would be the equivalent of banging +X or -X into a calculator would be fine.
Guilt looks kinda nice.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

the kawaiiest posted:

What's a good IRC client?

kirbysuperstar posted:

AndChat is really good, especially on tablets.
I use yaaic mostly because of nick colours, though either is good enough I suppose.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

A few pages back, but:

Penguissimo posted:

Your two-app solution is definitely the way to go, since I don't believe there are any third-party apps that are allowed to connect to the Skype servers.
IM+ pro can use the Skype text chat, you don't need to have Skype installed.

It's also developed by a goon or something.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Evil Vin posted:

What's the oldest version of Android does Hangouts accept? My friend has Froyo and even though my googling seems to mention it rolling out for them, he's not seeing it.
I think it's gingerbread according to google play.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Also, I think it already switches to GSM only while on wifi automatically. Could be wrong though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I had actually tried it out when I was just going through a poo poo load of ones trying to find something I liked. I'm just going to stick with ES even though I don't like it much and I'll plop down $2 for Solid if the dev ends up fixing the r/w not sticking but I just wish someone would make a no-frills file browser in Holo. I just want inKa to be full-featured, really. :(

Thanks for the advice, though.
I use explorer+. It's holo and pretty decent. Free version has ads though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

berzerker posted:

Skype isn't free though. Try Talkatone. It and GrooveIP and very similar, but one uses their own server and one goes straight through GV. Not sure which is which, but sometimes Talkatone is better for cell data.
I think he meant skype-skype calls, not calls to cellphones from skype. The former should still be free (excluding data of course).

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

hooah posted:

How can I get Better Battery Stats to show stats since the phone was fully charged? My Nexus 4 did this last night, and I can't figure out what did it (other than LG) because BBS will only show since boot or screen off. I'm rooted, if that matters.

Looks like it shut down there at the end due to low battery. BBS stats won't survive a reboot if I remember correctly, so it'll always fall back to "since boot" or "since screen off" when that happens.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Has there ever been a point in Android history where the Facebook app didn't suck?
This one looks promising: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spatiolabs.spatio

Can't turn off ads yet though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

FordPRefectLL posted:

I know in Textra I can configure certain contacts to not give me notifications, but is there an app that will make it so certain contacts don't alert me during certain times?

e.g. I am okay with MY GIRLFRIEND texting me at 6 AM but not my boss. I don't want my phone to ding with a text message from my boss until at least 10 AM and not after 10 PM.

An app that does that would be fantastic.
I've done this through llama. Only calls from my family will sound off after 10PM, the rest are silent.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

How can I disable screen lock (no PIN or slide-to-unlock) when on certain WiFi networks or connected to specific BT devices?

I know this has been talked about before but I just skimmed over it because I didn't care. Now I do.
Llama can do it too, although you'll have to enable it under device administrators. Straight up disabling the lockscreen is buggy though, it's better to set it to disable after unlock. That way it you'll still have to unlock the device when you first connect to wifi, but after that it'll be gone.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

interrodactyl posted:

Any suggestions on IRC apps? I'm using AndChat right now but I'm not too sold on it.
tiny tiny irc seems interesting. Haven't tried it myself, but I could see myself using it if I wasn't already using quassel on my home pc.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

pun pundit posted:

My tablet came without a file manager- and when I search for "file manager" on the play store I get many results, all with 5 stars and nothing to tell me which has which features and so on. I was hoping some of you have already sorted through them and could advise me. I'd prefer one that can do multiple panels, so: What are your favorite multi-panel file managers?
Also, can Android do symlinks and if so do these file managers support making them?

v v v Thanks!
file wrangler is pretty decent and looks nice. Don't think it does root though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

DNova posted:

Irssi Connectbot is made especially for interfacing with irssi. It's based on a good SSH client called Connectbot.
It's also still actively maintained, unlike the original connectbot.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm looking for something that would mimic the iOS Do Not Disturb feature where only my contacts I choose can ring my phone during time frames of my choosing. I see a few on the play store but not sure if any are worth it or would it be better to root?
Llama can do this, and I'm sure tasker can too. Not sure if they require root though.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

2) What's the best navbar replacement for the Nexus 5? I hate the soft buttons taking up so much space...
There's a thing that mimics the ICS browser thing where you can swipe in from the side of the screen to access navbuttons, but it requires root. Not sure if you can hide the navbar on stock though.

I can link you the xda thread tomorrow if you want, though you can probably find it pretty easily yourself.

There's also something similar built into cyanogenmod and probably about every other custom rom these days.

E: Link to the xda-thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1330150

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 20, 2013

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

I wanted to get Moto X-like notifications on my Nexus 5, so I found this app, DynamicNotifications: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications

It actually works pretty well, and it's not a battery hog at all.
A somewhat nice thing too is that it has lockscreen functionality that you can toggle with app shortcuts. I'm trying to make it play nicely with llama to enable a password lockscreen when the phone hasn't been used in a couple of minues and using dynamic notifications to avoid buttdialing when the phone has recently been used.

Tricky part is making it disable the dynamic notifications lockscreen when it enables the passworded one. It works somewhat correctly now at least, but sometimes it still enables both of them.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

hooah posted:

I feel like an idiot - how do I access DashClock's settings? It doesn't show up in the app drawer, and when I set it up on a lockscreen, I disabled the settings button. Do I have to delete that one and start over?
Add it as a widget on any workspace.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is the go to irc client these days?
yaaic or andchat seems popular enough. Quassel is nice if you have a shell somewhere.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What device? I switched to ART today on my Moto X and GB still works fine.
Xposed switches back to dalvik automatically to prevent a bootloop. You should be running dalvik, unless they changed something the last few days.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, the automatic correction is kinda finicky, especially when swiping. Curse words will be in my suggestions when tapping, but never when swiping.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I've recently become bougy as gently caress and got a Galaxy S4. I'm facing a five hour drive tomorrow, is the music player that ships with Android any good? Should I be looking at a new music app? I'm trying to play a mix of FLAC and MP3.
I switched from poweramp to shuttle, both are very good. Certainly better than the built in app.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Zero000 posted:

Is there a app that only does Skype chat? The official app never works 100% of the time and it takes forever to load chats at times. I remembered I used to use imo.im until they got rid of the Skype feature and from what it looks like, the app has changed into something else altogether
IM+ Pro does this. Sometimes it just refuses to sign in to skype for me though, but that's maybe one day a month tops.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is there a reason why Google+ would be causing such a large wakelock on my N7 2013? I've noticed the battery only lasts 4hr 50min if I'm actively using it and it goes for about a day or two on standby. I casually checked the battery screen and there's G+ right at the top keeping the tablet awake.

I force stopped it and it just kept turning itself back on. I'm starting to think I should do a factory reset...
Probably the automatic photo backup. Sometimes my phone is really hot to the touch when I wake up and it's the backup process doing its thing.

It's gotten better since I cleaned out my old photos from the device, but that's not really a solution for most people I imagine.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Black Shadow posted:

Does anyone have any decent AdBlock app recommendations?
AdAway, but you need to be rooted.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

MarkAsRead does what I've wanted the GMail active notification do since day one: Adds a "mark as Read" button next to the "Archive" and "Reply."

Why Google hasn't put in a Mark as Read button I'll never know. There's plenty of emails I get where I don't need to read it (things like order and and shipping confirmations from Amazon, 90% of the emails I get from Tumblr and Twitter, etc...)
Would making a filter work? It might be overkill, and I don't know if you still get the notification, but if it works it should do what you want.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

I would recommend against using the Facebook app in general based on the permissions it requests. They don't need to be able to read my text messages and private calendar.
Keep in mind I've never actually used the app, but supposedly reading text messages is because they let you SMS through the app if your conversation partner isn't online on facebook at the moment. The calendar permission is probably to deal with events on facebook and adding them to your phone calendar I'm guessing.

E: Yep: https://www.facebook.com/help/210676372433246

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 22, 2014

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

spincube posted:

What's the landscape like for Facebook clients? I'm sick of the official app hiding away 'most recent' posts.
Spatio works alright for me. It won't update the feed automatically though, and i don't know if it'll show all kinds of posts like the above poster mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

polynominal-c posted:

Why isn't there a toggle/disable pattern lock app/widget that works on non-rooted devices :confused:
Llama should be able to do this, if you allow it under device administrators.

E: tasker probably too.

• Locked thread