Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InfinEight posted:

Second is something that was an instant classic: i.e. the biggest spacers you'll ever see ever:

Oh god, the unsprung weight. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

RIDE OR DIE. :black101:

*sits in a neon*

*sits in a neon*

*slowly dies inside*

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

This gentleman has not painted ALL the poor choices he has made in a garish color, only some of them, so see if you can spot the rest.

:stare: Oh god those welds (can those even actually be called welds?).

E: Are those shocks in the last picture fully compressed while it's just sitting there?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm sure that they have applied the worlds simplest solution to the bump steer. Springs and shocks so stiff that the suspension can't actually compress! :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well, lightening is the only good move I can see on that entire car, they just went about it in a really stupid way (and undoubtedly for entirely wrong reasons).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

leica posted:

I just bought a Samsung oven/range :(

Check with your agent, make sure your homeowners has good fire coverage.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Logged into youtube for the first time in 3 years just to tell them that they suck.

Currently at 21 thumbs up, and 2425 thumbs down. It was 750'ish this morning when I gave them my down vote.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Best commercial.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Congrats on getting it past the sniffers!

Not sure what year is the cut-off here, but I'm kind of surprised you had to smog the '73 too.

Edit - Looks like 1966 and older don't have to test.

Edit2 - FYI if you get collectible car insurance on it (say... from Hagerty!) you can get a 'collectible' exemption from the smog tests in the future.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 6, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I understand that. I've never seen it this way with tens x 100 before and was wondering if that was commonplace or a weird Italian thing.

It seems like a few cars I had from the 70's were like that, but it's been a long time, so I might just be remembering wrong. It does look kind of odd now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

Uhm, that was a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr v12 coupe. Also, they were doing at least 55mph in the right lane, which is hardly so slow as to constitute a hazard -- trucker wasn't paying attention.
Car is owned by the owner of one of the only officially commissioned Contential MKII convertibles. (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/look-at-what-i-found-1956-continental-mark-ii-convertible-by-hess-eisenhardt/)
I assume this was in similarly good condition before the trucker murdered it.

drat, just watched that walk around video, that thing was immaculate. Did either driver survive that wreck? It looks pretty bad in the photo's.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PhoenixWing posted:

Wheel spacers for sale on a local car FB group
:stare:

Super light weight mod!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Powershift posted:

Those are $10,200 wheels.

:stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Deeters posted:

Just a bro truck to start the day:

That's a pretty special hitch cover he's got there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sucks. A lot.

Hopefully the guy had decent insurance from the financial side at least, and hopefully he'll get to spend some really warm time in Joe's tent city. Drunk drivers are terrible.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Considering the latter of which is at the discretion of the arresting officer and contesting their "discretion" results in a year suspension of your licence regardless of the outcome of the case it's effectively zero.

I get what you're saying and yes it's a scare tactic but it works. Especially considering the demographic its targeted at.

You contest their discretion in court, not in the street. The year suspension is if you refuse to consent to the testing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Or they can stop drinking beers, imagine that

What? Impossible! Obviously drinking beers the night before work when they know that doing so will endanger their employment is entirely beyond their control. Kind of like smoking weed in the days leading up to a drug test for a job is something that simply can't be avoided. It's a miracle anyone has a job.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The cockroaches in Wisconsin are loving huge.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Valve/cam cover?

Looks like a standard BMW I6 valve cover, yea.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Spiders are fine except when they make stupid little webs in the window and corners of the room that I have to clean up. Outside I leave them alone unless it's a black widow, I hate them and their webs and they get nuked.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Trying to clean around the car in the garage, and finally take bottles to recycle.

Black widow crawled onto my hand out of a bag, and I almost knocked the car off jack stands.

I was working in my folks shed when I was probably 18 or so, had been in and out of it all day. Was starting to get dark and I walked back into the shed to start putting stuff away, and a loving black widow had made a giant web across the doorway in the couple hours since I had last been in it, and I walked right into it and got a black widow close up as it was on the right lens of my glasses. I'm pretty sure that's the closest I've ever been in my life to a heart attack.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

hi i'm johnny knoxville and this is the law of gravity

Gigantic gif...

That's funny, but next time maybe a link? That gif completely froze up my phone today, it's kinda sorta large.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Using awful app? Turn off autoload for gifs.

Just a browser, but I'll have to look and see if it can not autoload them I suppose.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Flame-thrower time boys!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

8ender posted:

Oh Jer-Bear, you've just learned a valuable lesson

Yea, foil tape is terrible insulation. :laugh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I don't think they go together that way.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kimcicle posted:

The best part of this video is watching the guy's sunglasses fly off his face.

A magical moment.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Holy crap that's a lot of cones!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

"Structural rigidity of an earthworm" :laugh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's too bad they don't make some simple device that could have prevented that sort of thing. Maybe something that could be stuck in front of the tires on the trailer or even something that could brace the rear edge of the trailer to keep it from tipping. Sadly, such simple devices don't exist, so this sort of terrible thing will continue to happen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

I'll let you all discover the terrible car stuff slowly...

What the hell?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Awful and awesome at the same time:

http://i.imgur.com/gzgaon6.gifv

So good.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yes but if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Nice sludge. Is that what happens when you never change your oil for 150,000 miles or something?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

DiggityDoink posted:

Unironically agreeing. Dogs in the back of the truck is seriously terrible stuff.

drat right, dog in the front. The back is for the kids.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Thank god they only use mag-chloride and sand out here in CO. Although mag-chloride does wonderous things to aluminum wheels.

In northern Arizona they just use crushed ash-rock.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The gensets for our data center (we have two, both able to handle about 2x the max load the data center can draw, plus the emergency stuff for the rest of the building) go from off & cold to 100% output in about 15 seconds, or so I'm told. The UPS systems in the data center can run the data center at full output for about 18 minutes.

In the 5 years I've been at this building, I'm only aware of 3 times they've come on outside of testing, and one of those was when some idiot crashed into a pole and the power companies systems failed to reset and re-route the power properly after the circuit breakers tripped from the downed lines.

Also, I always knew we had a lot of fiber coming into the building, but I found out a while back that each client actually brings their own redundant fiber into the building, in addition to our own main company redundant fiber links for our internal networks, and connections upstream to our vendors. So apparently we have over 140 (or more) separate fiber connections into the building from each side (physically redundant links so that a cut theoretically doesn't take out anything). Would suck a lot to be a contractor that dug across our parking lot and took out one of those sets of conduits.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's a hell of a lot of fiber and bandwidth. Of course that building houses 110 companies/datacenters, whereas we are just a single small 2-story building and a single company (and not the giant HQ which is back east).

With the UPS's and gen-sets, it really doesn't make economical sense for our company to pay for that sort of a power feed either, given that the power here is extremely reliable, and everything we have in our data center is also fully mirrored at the HQ (all of our stuff is hot/hot on both coasts, and hot/hot redundant within each data center as well), with a third 'disaster recovery' data center in another state that is on warm backup.

Also, I have no idea what this has to do with terrible car stuff anymore, I thought this was the general chat thread. Oops.

Edit: Terrible car stuff - I saw a Honda Civic on the way home tonight (too dark to get a picture, even if I was silly enough to try that while driving down I-10) with the most amazing giant fender flares on the front. I think the entirety of the front tires were actually inside the flares, outside of the car's original fenders. It was.. something.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 27, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Some days I weep for humanity, other days I laugh at it. This one could go either way.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I bought a truck when I was much younger (like 20'ish) from the Ford dealership that was on Camelback (don't recall what they were back then, it's changed, as I know it wasn't "Camelback Ford" which is what's there now).

Years later when I knew a lot more about car buying and looked back at that paperwork, I realized that I got royally reamed on the deal. Their service department was poo poo too, I went there once for something unimportant that I can't even remember now and never went back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Alternatively, whatever impact bent the bumper down also bent the hitch.

My old Chevy work truck had a receiver hitch under the bumper. The hitch was attached to the frame via a bracket that was connected with a single through bolt. When the truck got rear-ended and the bumper bent down like that, the hitch bent down too, because the single bolt attachment point worked like a hinge.

The bumper bent down like that for the same reason, it pretty much just swiveled/bent at the bolt attachment points on either side if I remember right.