Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I've been looking into a new living room TV for my parents to replace their old 46 inch Sony KDL-46V25L1 with a 60-70 inch TV that they can have wall mounted and have a couple questions.

They explicitly told me that they do not want a Plasma TV and after looking around on cnet's review site the Samsung UN65F6300 looked like the best option though it's on the very edge of their price range ($1000-$1750). I chose it because it sounded like it this model has a good picture quality. Still, would rather take them to a store so they can look at it and some other models, which brings me to my first question.

Are there any similar quality alternatives out to this Samsung that are within their price range. I know that my dad likes the picture on my 37 inch Vizio VX37L-HDTV10A better than the Sony he has in the living room. Only difference I can tell between the two is that the colors pop/are a bit more vivid on the Vizio.

My second question involves wall mounts. I saw several listed back a few pages though they varied in price from $45 to $120. Besides the VESA hole patterns is there anything else I should look out for? What do you do about the cables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Where did you find the input delay? And is lower better with delay? Right?

Lower is better and he found it at here or here.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Ahhh, I see thank you! I do use it for gaming from time to time. Yeah if the difference is that I'll definitely go for it.

Keep in mind that those values could also be for when the tv is set on game mode only.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I'm not familiar with Game Mode.

Some TVs have a setting called Game Mode that turn off some of the image processing effects which in turn reduces input lag.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Oh cool. I see the F says "slim" but they seem to be thicker in the specs section. Strange. Either way I'm going to go for an F if I can.

The F has a depth of 1.9" while the EH has a depth of 3.7". The F's depth is larger than the EH when you take the stand into account though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

So pissed off. My wife and I were going to purchase http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46EH5300-46-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0074FGP4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385705403&sr=8-2&keywords=46%22+Samsung today at $497 and they all sold out. There goes our Sub $500 TV deal. I wonder if they will ever replenish since they are last years model?

If you don't mind ordering it from Samsung's website or checking at your local best buy/walmart/target/sam's club/etc. that price is for all authorized retailers. If it is in stock, it'll be at that price.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

False posted:

I cant seem to find a TV audio thread.

The audio thread is here.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Then there's the case of the Samsung F7100 my parents have that has the audio go out of sync sometimes with 24p playback. I've googled around and it's a rare issue that no one really found a solution to other than "don't play the content in 24p or get a receiver and let it handle everything."

Still sucks and nothing besides turning 24p playback off on the blu-ray player could fix it. I'm sure I could find a way into the service menu to change things there but that would put everything else out of sync so isn't worth it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Lawen posted:

Any thoughts on or experiences with the Samsung F7100 series (specifically this UN60F7100AFXZA)?

There's a mostly positive AVS thread about it but I'm always wary of new buyer confirmation bias and can't find much in the way of 3rd-party, independent reviews from e.g. reviewed.com or cnet. Anyone have thoughts or links to reviews you could throw my way?

My parents love ours but it does have issues sometimes when playing blu-rays at 24p. Once in awhile the sound will go completely out of sync. It only happens when 24p is activated. If you turn it off the movie plays fine. I saw one or two other people with this issue on the AVS forum but it's not that widespread. Still kind of annoying though.

e: I've also seen the video lag sometimes if you have auto-motion plus set on deblurring 10 and dejudder 0 so I just turned it off completely on the set. I'm not sure if the tv's firmware is up to date either so that might be why the tv is having some of those problems.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 23, 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The Samsung Plasma is on sale right now on Amazon for $1700.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

Jesus that's ridiculous. That would have to be free before I'd even consider it.

They've had these banner ads since their 2012 TVs. C.Net has a guide on how to turn them off: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-off-banner-ads-on-your-2013-panasonic-tv/ (complete with second guide for the 2012 TVs since Panasonic changed how you turn the banner ads off between the two years)

I wonder if they'll leave that option in on the $200 50-inch.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Mandals posted:

That's awful and hilarious that they leave the ads on by default. Is this just a Panasonic thing or are other manufacturers pulling this poo poo, too? I ask because I just pulled the trigger on a Vizio P70 and this 'feature' would equal an instant return.

Just Panasonic. Well my parent's Samsung F7100 from 2013 kept throwing "check out this fantasy thing" for this sports team that was on TV til I dug my way into the smart tv stuff to turn off the yahoo add-in that was installed with the TV. My Samsung F6300 from 2013 keeps bugging me about the new updated Smart Hub and I can't get it to shut up about it now that I updated the firmware. Really though none of it is as bad as a banner ad on the volume bar.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Next-Gen posted:

I've been streaming through netflix with h.265 at 16 megabit for the new 4k content they have and it looks amazing.

I would love to do this but for the past three months I go from 30 mbps to 3 mbps during peak hours because comcast over sold my neighborhood.

I'm going to have to try calling them again.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Are there any specific specs out for the new Vizio M-Series? How is it compared to the P-Series?

Looks like rtings has some info on it now. The main differences are that the 2015 M-Series does a better job at upscaling 1080p content than the 2014 P-Series but the 2014 P-Series has more local dimming zones than the 2015 M-Series.

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/m-series-2015

edit 2: Doesn't do as good of a job as the 2014 P-Series at upscaling 480p or 720p (they had to raise sharpness to 25 to stop it from being blurry) and there's a firmware bug with the 2015 M-Series that keeps the soap opera effect on when you set it at 0. They would have to move it to 1 first and then back down to 0 to fix it.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 16, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I have a 5gig .mkv file on my PC that I want to play on my LG Smart TV downstairs. The TV is too far to connect to the wifi. I have a 16 gig USB flash drive that I bought to put my .mkv file on and plug it into the TV. Problem is (according to google), my USB cant have a 5gig file on it if the drive is formatted as FAT32. Google suggested I reformat it as exFAT. Problem solved! Now I can put my 5gig file on the flash drive no problem!

New problem: TV wont read the flash drive and says its broken. Google tells me that the TV will likely only detect flash drives that are formatted in FAT32.

So now I'm trying to see if I can split this 5gig file up into two parts. I'm using HJ Split to do this and it hangs at 100% and wont split the file. Maybe I'm using the program wrong or it doesnt work on .mkv. I'm googling that now.

Is there a better way to do this? There has got to be a better way to watch a 5gig movie file on my Smart TV than what I'm doing here. Using a flash drive and breaking big files in half every time? This is crazy. I feel like there must be a much easier solution.

Well your alternative option is to buy something that can play mkv files from a usb hard-drive/stick/whatever. Since wifi won't connect to the tv that means a firetv would only be sort of worth it (you could install kodi/xbmc and play stuff off of an external hard-drive. You'd need to first setup the fire tv in a place with wifi to update it since usb storage wasn't enabled until a later update and then sideload kodi though). A WDTV would work. Both probably would have problems with 10 bit mkvs.

Your other option is to just connect your laptop to the TV and play it through that or to just buy some sort of htpc to run kodi/xbmc off of it though that's more expensive than a wdtv/firetv

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Just to let you know but the speakers don't come with any speaker wire or the cable for the subwoofer.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Well it seems like you can turn it off: http://www.vizio.com/smartinteractivity

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Thirteenth Step posted:

Can I play Sky Go on a Fire TV stick?

I'm torn between that and the Roku and can't decide.

Sky Go support is sporadic on the Fire TV stick. Officially it doesn't work. Unofficially version 4.13 of the apk works for some people (minus Sky News). Sometimes even then that doesn't work. So if the Roku has official support and this is a deal breaker just get the Roku.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Craptacular posted:

I don't want a smart TV, and Vizio only appears to sell smart TVs.

You're going to want to buy a smart tv anyway. It's in everything and adds maybe $5 to the price. Manufacturers that still make dumb tvs put their worst panels in them.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

One of mine has a different issue. 2013 Samsung UN60F7100 likes to just disable/remove the "update firmware" option so that's fun. Not sure why it does that sometimes.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

on HDMI you can't do above 30hz with your laptop.

on display port using Multi-Stream Support you can do 60hz but only if it is a 15 inch rMBP (late 2013). 13 inch from late 2013 can't support it either way.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

You need a graphics card that can put out hdmi 2.0 but nothing apple currently has out will do that. For display port the late 2013 rMBP the 13 inch is not capable of 4k @ 60 hz. the 15 inch can do 4k @ 60 hz on a few specific panels that suppport MST (the ones listed in that apple support link).

Even if your tv has a display port if it isn't the right sort of panel (which in most cases it won't be) it will still only do 4k @ 30 hz on the 15 inch rMBP late 2013

The only mac hardware that can do 4k @ 60hz (without using MST) over display port are the following computers after updating to Yosemite 10.10.3 or later:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 and later)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later)
MacBook Air (Early 2015)

No mac hardware can do 4k @ 60hz over hdmi at this time since none of them have hdmi 2.0.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 26, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Also, I feel bad sending a still working tv off to the graveyard. My 42" Sony Wega has been limping along in the bedroom for far longer than it has any right to.

I keep wanting to replace my 2 year old Samsung for no reason other than "get a bigger TV" but I'll probably wait until next year.
Someday I'll get rid of that old first(?) generation 39 inch Vizio that survived 2 years of college and another 6 years as a living room/bedroom TV.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

$2398 - Samsung UN75JU641DFXZA (75", 4k, Smart)

Anyone know much about this tv? One of the Best Buy schmucks was saying that TVs from Sams club are often a slightly different model so as to get the lower price. Is there any truth to this?

Rtings doesn't come up with anything when you search the model number.

It's probably a modified (less ports, maybe lower quality screen) version of the JU6400 or JU6500. Probably the JU6400 though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

UN75JU641DFXZA
I can't find any info about this tv that Sam's is selling. The info on the Sam's site is super sparse.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/75-uhd-smart-120hz-3-hdmi-wifi/prod19540478.ip?navAction=push

Samsung's site doesn't come up with anything for the number. My dad will actually be in town visiting for Thanksgiving and has a Sam's card, so I'm trying to decide if this is actually a good tv or not.

Price per inch at 4k is good, but just wondering what all has been cut down compared to the TV every where else.

It's probably a cut down version of the samsung un75ju6400.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Originally, before I bought my PS3, I built a media pc with the intent to be able to play both BD and HD-DVD. I still have that player in fact running in my current pc. This was back before BD had truly won the war and HD-DVD went away. The biggest problem was finding a program that would play BD properly. There were lots of movies coming out that required me to go and update to a new codec and it became more effort that it was worth. When I finally started looking for a dedicated BD player, even the cheap ones were only slightly cheaper than the PS3, so I went that route. Don't think I ever tried a movie that the PS3 couldn't play, where as my media pc would almost always have issues with a brand new release BD.

Had that PS3 until about a month ago when I decided to go ahead and get a PS4 because I had almost 200 bucks in BBY rewards from buying my new tv, so I just assumed Sony had stayed on top of their game.

Should I hang on to my PS3 for dedicated BD playback or is there not enough of a difference between the 3 and 4 for playback to matter.

Main difference is some region free 25/50 fps blu-rays (if you're in north america) won't work on the ps3 but will work on the ps4.

Now wrt to games the ps4 is not backwards compatible with the ps3 so if you were using it for more than BD playback keep that in mind.

edit: Other difference is the ps3's native codec support for stuff off of a usb stick/ps3 media server is better than the ps4's media player app that they added a few months ago. Kind of a moot point now though since the PS4's plex player works fine and doesn't need plex pass anymore so you can just go that route if you have to play stuff off of the ps4.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 5, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Serephina posted:

Is this the thread to ask for recommendations for TV/home media sound systems?

This thread's mainly for TVs. There's a different one for home theater systems and a separate one for quick audio questions in general.

edit: Home theater audio topic and Quick audio questions topic.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

LmaoTheKid posted:

Does it have IR?

There's (what looked like) an IR blaster or IR prot or something on the new xbox one s.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

bull3964 posted:

There's zero licensed 4k content available on the PC. DRM hurdles are so high that no one is bothering.

Skipping PC doesn't even stop it from getting pirated but whatever. There's plenty of amazon and netflix 4k rips out there of the more popular stuff.

An Xbox One S is probably the best bet for 4k stuff right now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that confirmed? I was looking for info but couldn't spot any mention of UBD at all.

Looks like the Xbone with its lack of Atmos glory will be what I go for after all.

It's only one outlet saying it right now so not confirmed.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Can't get much more confirmation than them asking point blank and being told no, it doesn't have one.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/ps4-pro-uhd-blu-ray/

Sony hasn't fielded a standalone drive either. Yes, they pretty much think the format is dead.

I would consider the Xbone even with the gimped audio, but reports are it can't even play all the current titles properly (for example, can't play Lucy.)

I think I'll likey end up with the Philips player now.

Oh alright. Only one I had seen was from a stuff.tv twitter account.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

OK guys. I did some soul searching, realized I wanted size over HDR, and I cannot for the life of me tell the difference between these two TVs:

https://www.vizio.com/blackfriday/e70e3.html

https://www.vizio.com/e70ud3.html

Go to tech specs, what on earth is different about these? They seem identical.

They both are 120hz panels but the black friday one's clear motion is 180 instead of 240.

Black friday one also has one less usb port and doesn't come with an included HDMI cable.

edit: Also the black friday one is a black friday model so I guess it could possibly have a lower quality panel.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 18, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

It's one of those stores that won't actually ship your tv until you agree to pay $400 more for insurance or something else like that.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

The ancient 57" rear projection that's been in the house for almost two decades let out the magic smoke today, now the picture looks like an old 3D image and there was a pretty foul smell coming out of it.

This just means we can finally upgrade :v: Right now I'm choosing between:

Samsung UN65KS8000 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV

or

2016 VIZIO SmartCast™ P-Series™ 65” Class Ultra HD HDR Home Theater Display

I would also need a stand and soundbar either way. Kinda leaning to the Vizio and popping a Roku stick in it or something, but this is all new tech to me.

Of the two per Rtings the Samsung may be the better all around TV but the Vizio may be better for movies. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/65-inch/best

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Alternatively you can get an Nvidia Shield TV and put Kodi on it or something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

sellouts posted:

Alternatively the Amazon app on the LG OLED works wonderfully and does 4K HDR.

Are people really using Kodi or Plex to stream downloaded 4K movies? I didn't know that was a thing yet.

4k tv shows started showing up early this year. 4k movies late this year. However file sizes are generally prohibitive so you're still better off using 4k streaming services even if the stream quality may be worse than the quality of the :filez:. You don't get HDR from plex/kodi either to my knowledge.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've noticed a huge chunk of the back catalog of UHD had been dumped and floating around as 60-100gb x265 file sets. I'm gonna guess it's done via capture hardware rather than direct rips, or have the keys been busted and I've not heard about it?

It's mostly capture hardware and well netflix and amazon stuff. They busted/just did capture hardware for amazon and netflix 4k stuff awhile ago.

edit: Yeah 4k online is going to be WEB (amazon/netflix) Capture hardware from a UHD disc but not a direct rip, or there's the off chance someone in russia got a hold of the masters and just put those online but that's rare.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 28, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

HDR'll be nice whenever cable starts supporting it.

..Oh you're dropping everything to 720p instead Comcast? Well that's just wonderful. You got rid of all the 1080i channels and replaced them with 720p when changing over to mpeg4. Great...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I could see 4k 120hz computer monitors showing up in a year or two. I don't see video cards pushing 4k at 120 fps anytime soon though unless it's old old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Size and the 65" costing a family's worth of arms and legs.