Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Are all those areas grey because of terrorist groups/anarchy, or just because it's the Sahara and there's nobody there to govern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It means embracing a spirit of thrift, frugality, and hard work.

Sounds awful, can I switch to Catholic?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Quorum posted:

For some reason, white supremacists have a hard-on for the Holy Roman Empire and its various descendents and bastard children with Christian Scandinavia. I wonder why this could be. I mean, this map is literally just HRE.jpg plus the most Normanized bits of England and the populated parts of Scandinavia, leaving out the bits that stayed with ancestral belief practices longest.

That's not the HRE, it's Charlemagne's Empire.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Level of theocracy?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Killin' Natzis

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

It's the twelve "super states" representative districts as envisioned by the US Parliament.

The thirteen Commonwealths of Fallout's America.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

In the Fallout universe, were the states intentionally grouped together in ways that would undermine the power of the state governments? I can't imagine New York City working well with Charleston.

They never go into much detail on it even in supplemental material (since it was really just so they could use a snazzy 13-star flag), but given the authoritarian bent of the Fallout US...yeah, probably.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Peanut President posted:

New Mexico and "Arrizona" being split along an east-west line instead of a north-south one is pretty interesting.

That's the original split of the territory - roughly, New Mexico was the part we got in the War of 1848, while Arizona was the Gadsden Purchase.

Arizona seceded and joined the Confederacy, while New Mexico sided with the North. By 1863, Confederate Arizona had been conquered; the territory was reorganized with a north-south split to spite the secessionists.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There's that ancient shoreline again.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Russians are white though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Inaccurate, Sparta was never parta Alexander's empire.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

(I recently read a book of essays from 1930s that contained a hateful takedown of the Straussian waltz as a taste ruining pop-culture fad)

Can you get scans of this? That sounds hilarious.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Quorum posted:

I agree, the 4th Crusade is responsible for everything that is wrong with the Middle East today, and modern-day Venetians and Frenchmen should be punished for it.

I concur, especially the Venetians.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also, Portugal moved to Brazil.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

what if you froze it and lifted it all out in one piece

Giant blocks of ice are actually how the lakes got there in the first place.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rather unnecessary, since it was done so Stalin could keep his chunk of Poland from the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Fair enough, but New Orleans sure as hell is "the South" and it was a pretty vibrant place throughout the 19th century. For whatever reason, people seem to forget that one of America's most important ports, a critical city to the entire economy of everything west of the Atlantic seaboard, is in the Deep South.

It's all the Frenchness.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Schizotek posted:

These are the same people whose historians repeatedly named entirely unrelated foreign pantheons after their own, even if they were monotheistic. Sometimes they wouldn't even be bothered to record what the natives actually called them. I'm looking at you "Scythian Ares".

When they encountered the Jews, the Romans decided they were worshiping the Sky Itself, Caelus (aka Uranus).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So, a reformed Holy Roman Empire.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The first Kingdom of Italy was Odoacer's in 476. I wouldn't include the Roman Empire as 'Italy'...not least because the Roman Empire was still around at the same time as the Kingdom of Italy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

And also the army that attacked DC was a bunch of Royal Marines shipped over from Europe, not guys from British North America.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

fishmech posted:

Considering this map was made well past 1993 and isn't meant to be historic...

Shh, don't tell him! This is some Goodbye Lenin thing where he was to keep believing Czechoslovakia still exists.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Golbez posted:

Really illustrates what a pretty great choice for capital location Washington was. The true center was closer to Baltimore, but that wouldn't have flown with the south.

Maryland was part of the South. The only reason it didn't secede was Lincoln declared martial law.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

That's probably also (one of) the reason(s) US presidents in official speeches regularly use the phrase "these United States" rather than "the United States".

It's also why it's pretty stupid when other New World inhabitants get all bitchy about us using "American".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Are the ex-Soviet *stans actually nation-state countries? I always kinda figured them to be like Syria/Iraq/Jordan, Pakistan/India/East PakistanBangladesh or nearly all of Africa, where the European Powers just slapped a bunch of lines on the map for internal administration and now whoops they're independent.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 31, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

computer parts posted:

Iraq and Syria were made out of existing Ottoman provinces.

Constantinople is in Europe.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Quorum posted:

Incidentally, this is a fascinating example of a distinct brand of historical revisionism which marks the period of Reconstruction and the early 20th century. Basically, following the trauma of the Civil War, white Northerners (principally) found themselves with a problem: Jamestown was inconvenient. Located in the former Confederacy, and the site of the first imported slaves in the New World, it was frankly problematic that it had in fact come before Plymouth, which had become invested with all the virtues of the Progressive Era: religious reformism, moral purity, temperance, et cetera. So what you see is that Jamestown gets neatly sliced out of the American founding myth, replaced almost wholesale with Plymouth. This is where Schoolhouse Rock and modern America at large get the popular image of the first settlers being Pilgrims on the Mayflower with buckled hats, when in fact the Mayflower came thirteen years after the Susan Constant, and was a delivery vessel for Jamestown on which the Pilgrims hitched a ride. It's also why the popular image of The First Thanksgiving involves merry Pilgrims eating turkey with jolly Indians, rather than hungry Englishmen giving thanks to God with no natives in sight; it's just a more politically palatable image, especially once it's been thoroughly whitewashed. The narrative worked, too-- I did archaeology at Jamestown for a while and I was always surprised how many people walked up to me and were genuinely surprised that the Pilgrims did not live at Jamestown and in fact came later.

This picture is basically emblematic of that whole movement, and it always makes me laugh to see it posted since it's been one of my areas of study. I'd quarrel with it in one regard, though: if from Jamestown came slavery, then from Plymouth came religious fundamentalism, and between the two you can explain quite a lot of America's modern problems.

Yankees did and still do a whole hell of a lot of revisionism to pretend that all of America's racial problems are confined to the South.

Which sometimes manifests as expanding the South, like claiming Kansas is a Southern state.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cyprus is geographically part of Anatolia, which also suffers from Turkish invasion

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Canadian Azerbacon

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To celebrate the eminent reign of Donald J. Trump, here's the world in its full post-climate change splendor. Yes, a few people will have to move, but Germans will be able to enjoy a nice tropical beach resort without ever leaving Germany. Gonna have to go to Antarctica to go skiing though.

For comparison, Earth at the end of the Cretaceous Period.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

West Prussia, obviously.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

a bunch of loving racist songs for Japan. Good job whoever made this crap. :thumbsup:

And House of the Rising Sun, which says it's in New Orleans in literally the first line.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

What on earth is making so much pollution in the Sahara?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

US balkanization maps are always funny because there's the obvious ones - the old Confederacy, Texas, California, New England, maybe the Rust Belt - and then there's the vast expanse with all the food and nukes nobody knows what to do with.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Patter Song posted:

The California state on that map is clearly reaching out to steal Las Vegas

NCR go home

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Return Britannia to Italy, evict the Anglo-Saxon invaders.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

HookShot posted:

YugoGREECEia

I see no problem with this.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shamefully, the collapse of Imperium caused the Franks to lose their way and descend into arguing which heresy is proper.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 10, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pakled posted:

The one for Canada would probably be "The War of 1812 was a draw."

"No Canadians were involved in the attack on Washington"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007