Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Forums, gaming, and personal schadenfreude.

Forums first. I'm sure some of our readers have heard about Reddit and Pedogeddon. When their jailbait subforums were aired on Anderson Cooper from a "Holy poo poo this exists I'm Anderson Cooper and I'm loving horrified" point of view. Many of us were disappointed at the outcome, overall. Reddit took over a year to genuinely shut down the CP trade going through their site. They shut down the primary subforums complained about, but Reddit can just pop up new ones and did. The guy (Violentacrez) who was basically the ringleader seemed like he was just going to go about his merry life stealing pictures off of facebook and posting them into a creepy subreddit.

The last I heard until the new GBS 2.1 Reddit.jpg thread, that's where it ended. Reddit finally self policed, dude got away scott free, life went on, and the pedos probably just took that poo poo to PMs and IRC or something.

And then I got to watch the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6plIjdaVGA

That is some weapons grade loving schadenfreude there :allears:

Next, gaming schadenfreude. Hopefully this story reaches some new ears, because it's my favorite. For those that don't know, EVE online is an MMO that is "being a psychopathic rear end in a top hat in a world with no consequences the game" basically. You buy ships and stuff for those ships, and then people blow your ships up and you lost most or all of the poo poo you were just flying and go buy new ships and poo poo. They let you buy in game currency with time cards or spend currency on those cards to extend your playtime without paying, lets people buy EVEgold(isk). So any ship has a dollar amount based on how much it's worth and how many cards you could buy for that value. The big ships are worth literally thousands of real world dollars, but take a shitload of people to destroy and enough time that usually the big ship owner has time to try to summon help and get himself out of the situation.

And then comes this story. Plex (time cards) are actual items in game until you use them, which is what lets you list them on markets. You can give them to a character, you can sell them to people, you can use them.

And you can put them in the cargo hold of a ship and transport them.

Cue some idiot flying around in one of the weaker small ships with a cargo hold of destructible money. When you blow up a ship, everything is either blown up or dropped into a salvageable wreck, cargo hold stuff included. What survives is pretty random, but there is a chance that blowing up a ship with good poo poo means you might get to take some of that good poo poo for yourself.

Well, that didn't happen this time. Two dudes encountered a ship which they scanned (because you can do that) to see 74 plex in the cargo hold. That's a little over 1200 dollars in real life dollars. So they blew it up, hoping for spoils of war. They got none, all 74 plex were destroyed when the ship was. And because the rules specifically allow this kind of thing, that's 1200 dollars that CCP (the owner of EVE online) received from a customer that just vanished into a black hole afterwards, basically. Gone and unrecoverable. And the two instigators, though they did not get money for what they did, became somewhat e-famous for having blown up 1200 dollars of someone else's money in a manner which was both legal and acceptable to the rules of the game. Further, unlike a Titan kill, this was some tiny cruiser that probably died in less than four salvos. Probably less than a minute from when he got scanned to when he died, with zero chance of doing a single drat thing to stop it or save himself and his cargo.

And the absolute best part? There is never, ever a reason to load a plex into a ship, really. Plex are given to an account, which can then be given directly to a character wherever that character is. You can fly your character in the cheapest shittiest newbie ship that you get for free for dying, and then once you arrive at your destination you can give that character all of the plex you want and move it directly to the station, never exposing any of it to the guns of other players. This is the preferred way to get plex to a major market hub.

Many tears of laughter were shed the day this story broke.

And personal. I'm in school right now getting a basic electrical/electrician certification for work, and electricity and stupid people mix constantly. My favorite event so far has been learning about capacitors. Little doohickeys that store electrical energy and then release it all at once to give a motor a large current boost when it starts up. Reduces wear on the motor by letting it start up faster, basically.

These things can be like batteries, in a way. Once charged they can store the current for a decent amount of time, even if taken out of the electrical circuit they're attached to. And they can be dangerous. A large fully charged capacitor can store enough voltage and amps to kill you, and we got very specific instructions on how to make sure that we depleted any charge before handling them. Most of the people in my class are late 20s or older, and we take the class seriously. But we've got a few very early 20s, including the 20 year old dumbass who is the subject of this story.

Basically, dude still has his "I'm an invincible teenager" perspective and has gotten the most bites from things since the class started. Well, when we first started capacitors and got the warnings, we then were handed a bunch to play with and voltage test and attach to circuits so we could get a feel for them and how they fit into systems. We got the smallest ones you can find, capacitors for very small electric motors. Can't store enough amps to kill you, basically.

So, knowing this, dumbass decided to prove how much of a man he was by licking the contact points like you'd lick the end of a battery.

Now, these things didn't store much in the way of amps, but they could store somewhere over 600 volts. Wall outlets are a little over 200 volts, and power lines are tens of thousands, to give you an idea. In laymans terms, pretend it's a pneumatic system and amps are the volume of water and volts are the pressure the water is under. High pressure low volume, you get a super soaker. Low pressure high volume, you get a garden hose. High on both is a riot truck with a water turret.

Or back in electrical terms, high voltage low amperage is a taser.

He got drat lucky in only getting 1st degree electrical burns on his tongue. He got less lucky in that the voltage was running through his goddamn head and must have scrambled his brains a little or something, because he dropped like a rock and smacked his head on the floor and was dazed for a few seconds. Even less lucky, his stupidity got him immediately ejected from the program (to the relief of everyone else present)

The best part about this particular story was he told everyone he was going to do this. The teacher just watched him. He'd given fair warnings and have given us parts we couldn't really hurt ourselves badly with, and so he sat there and watched his student minorly taser himself and then busted a gut laughing about it so hard that it took him 10 minutes to calm down and tell the guy he was kicked out of the program, while the guy sheepishly nursed his burnt tongue and collected his things to go stop by the local emergency room.

He's fine by the way. He came back to try to talk his way back into the program yesterday. The burns and a lump on his head from the fall were the only injuries sustained.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

I tried to figure this out too, but it's just that the phrase is ambiguous, he meant "had spent" as in somebody else spent that money in CCP's game.

Sorry I wrote that after a test after an all night cram session. I just got a nap and a better wording would have been "That's 1200 dollars someone paid CCP for the privilege of watching someone else blow it up live over the internet" or something. It's the only game out there you can pointlessly throw money into like that.

Also from the Reddit thread again!

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Nov 22, 2013

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Sgt Showtime posted:

I never really understood the whole "it's his freedom of speech to be a pedo" argument. Even if it were the case, it would then be just as much a freedom of speech for someone else to out him for his shittiness.

The thing about this idea that really gets me is that there have been actual pedos who have posted "I have never abused anyone, I just have no sexual desire for anyone but kids and it sucks" posts in AMA or something and even those guys don't get outed. You really have to cross a bunch of very fat red lines before anyone on Reddit is going to start trying to take internet into real life. And people who bitch inevitably pretend that what was said is no different from someone posting they're an Atheist on /r/Atheism and then having someone contact that person's very religious family and outing them as non-religious or something similar.

I don't have a goddamn clue though, where these guys got the idea that anonymity is part of free speech rights. It takes a particular kind of person to think that they have the right to say anything they want and never stand behind it. If anonymity was part of free speech we'd have no anti-bullying or harassment laws anywhere.

Grem posted:

I can't understand people that are ignorant of the fact that the Bill of Rights was created to protect people from the government, not other people.

Basically this.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Neurion posted:

I heard Robert Pattinson actively hates Twilight and Stephanie Meyer, so it shouldn't be a stretch at all that he'd love to gently caress with her fans.

Pattinson posted:

You know, I’m going to go get a sandwich for the next few and let him riff. Miss you! : “When I read it ... I was convinced that Stephenie was convinced that she was Bella, and ... It was like it was a book that wasn't supposed to be published, like reading her - her sort of sexual fantasy about some - especially when she says that it was based on a dream, and it's like, 'Oh, then I had a dream about this really sexy guy' and she just writes this book about it, and there's some things about Edward that are just so specific that ... I was just convinced that this woman is mad, she's completely mad, and she's in love with her own fictional creation.” - 2008 video interview with E!Online.

That face :allears:

On the end of the series...

That's all if we stick strictly to his opinions on the movies. There's plenty more out there on his opinions about the fans. It's hilarious because he completely acknowledges that these movies made him and did not shy away from movies 2-5, but at the same time he thinks it's pathetic that these movies made money and hates the fans for validating Stephanie Meyer's inane sexual fantasies.

Personally, I think Dumbledore said it best.

quote:

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Stephanie Meyer. Remember Cedric Diggory."

Spalec posted:

If I was him I'd be scared she'd try and kidnap or murder me.

He commented once about how he was afraid he was going to get AIDS because girls kept running up to him with freshly opened cuts on their necks asking him to suck their blood. I legit feel bad for the guy a little bit. When he did the first movie I don't know that anyone knew how big it was going to blow up. I saw it in the theaters because the girls in our group suggested a vampire movie and the guys thought we were going to see something made to capitalize on and compete with Underworld. And then one day he realizes that he's at serious risk of contracting blood borne illnesses from random strangers.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Dec 2, 2013

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I don't think his future is that dire, guy is talented and has had pretty steady non-Twilight work in decent films with even more in production. Save sympathy for Taylor Lautner who is forever typecast and has has all the acting range of a squinty potato.

I was going to be all "yeah who gives a poo poo, he's a nobody with more money than me" but then I hit a mental tangent into a question.

How does merchandising and royalties work for people like Lautner, Stewart, and Pattinson? They've become the face of Twilight and their images are loving everywhere, on books and movie covers and merchandise. There's a Robert Pattinson shower curtain and team Jacob shirts. Do the actors get a piece of that action, or is that a part of their movie contract that Meyer gets to market their faces as the face of Twilight?

Sorry for this random derail I'm just suddenly curious how merchandising with actors faces works. Like, does Daniel Rad-whatever get money for being the face of Harry Potter, or does that all go to JK Rowling?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea if you play a prank on a cop, and the cop knows it, there are many different ways they can legally gently caress your day right up. You can't expect them to laugh about it because these are guys that go to work every day knowing their life may be in mortal danger, they don't want to also deal with your bullshit shenanigans.

Being a cop is not overly high on the list of dangerous jobs, it's beaten out by just about any other non law enforcement job with an active danger component. If you prank a cop you can't expect them to laugh about it because they're very used to being on top of the power balance in just about every interaction they have excepting other cops and pranking flips that momentarily which makes them want to remind you exactly where the power rests aka finding any way they can to gently caress up your day with the law. You know or just shooting your dog or something, cause they like doing that too.

I guess I'm saying that I salute anyone with the balls to grab that tiger by the tail.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

All on Black posted:

You know, I think this is really funny but the mom's behavior still irritates me. I mean, the kid is obviously young enough to be living at home, so did she need to sink to his level and post a like-baiting response instead of just telling him off in person? It reminds me of that kid who was made to buy presents for other kids with the money from his returned PS3 - good lesson, but the whole thing was just such a blatantly obvious attempt by the parents to gain e-fame.

We live in a world where parents find all kinds of ways to publicly humiliate their kids to teach them lessons involving social media and your immediate assumption is that the parents posted that publicly in order to gain likes. I would have posted that too as a parent. I could give a poo poo less about likes. Calling my kid out in front of the friends he just lied to impress, on the other hand, is a drat good lesson to teach. It takes him down a peg and forces him to address the fact that he lies for stupid rear end reasons to friends in one fell swoop. Teenagehood is a time of unrestrained and unrepentant ego, and I think that taking your kids down a peg in a way they can recover from is a drat good lesson to teach before you unleash them upon the world.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I worked security/bar back for 8 years off and on and I have almost no great stories. I usually missed all the best stuff because I was hauling kegs in the back.

I bounced a gay bar. There were less of the usual bar disagreements and alot more sexual harassment leading into fights. Way too many guys who are about what you'd expect a gay neckbeard shutin to be who thought that liking penises gave them free license to grope any and all men they decided they want to. And then I'd end up having to break up a fight before they got their face pounded in by the guy they groped and his boyfriend.

The one truly hilarious story about this that I have was the time that one of these guys groped a gay dude who was there with his boyfriend who happened to be an off duty cop. Me and another bouncer moved in to break things up and the guy pinning Mr. Handsy to the ground pulled out his badge and everyone in the crowd agreed that there had been some serious sexual assault, like dude walked up and stuck his hands down an off duty cop's pants with the apparent intent of sticking a finger up his rear end or something.

When I got there the dude on his face had a bloody nose and a quickly darkening black eye, and he looked up at me like I was going to pull the cop who was pulling cuffs out of a back pocket off of him.

Yeah, nope. I called my manager down and told him what was going on and the cop had his picture put up behind the bar and his first two rounds were free whenever he showed up. The story got around and the next few months were really quiet as that cop started coming just about every night after work.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn1X4lVtJmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIn_HSt9UE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x36vjAykJMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YZIhlWpS0

loving with squirrels is a national pass time.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Bruc posted:

I love Shepard Smith as much as I hate Fox News.

You don't hate Fox News nearly enough.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I have to admit that the ability to completely ban a steam account and remove someone's access to games they have purchased should flat out violate first sale doctrine. If you buy a game you have rights to play that game, even if you cannot use steam services to do it, and any online retailer you deal with who is still perfectly functionally in business should be required to provide you offline access to titles you've purchased.

It's kinda bullshit that they can do that to an entire account that way. I could laugh if he was just bitching about losing DOTA items, but losing your entire steam library as well shouldn't be legal.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jan 21, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Aerdan posted:

They really only do it when e.g. you make death threats (which this guy apparently did), but my understanding is that he was kind of a douche across multiple games.

Yeah I mean I get why they'd ban him, it's just if they were providing physical copies it's not like they'd have the right to come get their copies of their games. Changing someone's steam account so that they had zero access to community sites, couldn't even get achievements, but could log onto steam and install or uninstall games and functionally use steam to access their games library would be easy as poo poo to code and would be in line with first sale doctrine, which has not caught up to online retailing yet.

Sorry I don't want to derail I just have issues with end user rights and online retailers taking liberties they shouldn't be able to because consumer protection laws haven't been updated or else are completely unenforced (not sure which)

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Midjack posted:

From a superficial reading of the situation they probably both deserve what they have. Really if you care that much you don't yell at the kid, you just unplug the box.

This.

When my kids eventually get video game consoles they will have the intrinsic understanding that disobedience involving the consoles will eventually lead to youtube videos of me taking them to donate their consoles.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Bill Nye destroying angry stupid creationists live on Youtube right now itt. Thread in GBS, it's the sweetest schadenfreude ever.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

This totally qualifies.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

As much as I enjoy Ken Ham being shown up, polls like this are really meaningless unless you also poll the people before they watched the debate.

It's not about meanginful statistics it's about the fact that Ken Ham knows he was made to look like an idiot and even if there aren't any numbers to post about it there are tons of Christians scrambling to disavow his view of the bible.

There are Christians posting on his facebook page telling him that Genesis isn't literal. Glorifying God and a metaphorical interpretation of the bible. Because it's Christian on Christian they're back and forthing with condescension and "You need to come back to the true Christianity" at each other and it's loving beautiful to watch from the outside.

:Edit:

And /r/Atheism probably

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Feb 6, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Preem Palver posted:

Unfortunately, it's more like 2/3. According to a Gallup poll in 2012, only 39% of Americans believe in evolution. Something like 1/4 believe that the sun rotates around the Earth.

And plenty of churches believe in creationism, even if it's not the denomination's official doctrine. I grew up an unaffiliated Baptist that constantly harped on complete and total creationism; the church fired a youth pastor once for offhandedly saying that maybe intelligent design was true. We also believed crazy poo poo like, "The Earth is perfectly placed in the universe by God. If it was shifted only a single foot in any direction in space, gravity would increase to the point that it would take the force of a tractor to move your arm." I'm not even sure how anyone over the age of five could believe that.

I remember that poll. If I remember correctly the 39% are the proportion who believe in secular scientific evolution. There is another like 30% of the population that do not have any problems with the scientific model of evolution but simply say that it's "Guided" aka intelligent design. So, I mean, yeah there are people who bring God into it there's still really 2/3 of the population who accept evolution exactly as science presents it and tack on "Because God" as an afterthought so it meshes with their worldview.

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school and this is exactly how it was presented to me there in the early 90s. The Big Bang was "let there be light" and Genesis is a metaphor because we're too small to truly understand God so he dumbed it down for us and evolution is God's way of creating new species and such.

It's not perfect, but it's also not "2/3 of Americans believe evolution is complete bullshit"

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Ein posted:

A moment of schadenfreude that still makes me smile whenever I think of it was when a work mate's younger brother made a single pot brownie using around 15 grams of weed(around half an ounce). He figured you can never get too high, so he ate the whole thing, plopped down on the couch in front of the tv and chit chatted while waiting for the moment when he would start tripping mad balls. He went quiet after a while and 15-30 minutes later he suddenly shouts "YEAH I'M GOING TO BED NOW", and he did, then he slept for ~30 hours.

I had some friends do this. They were all excited and made their edibles and chowed down, eating a pan they put like two ounces into together. There were about four of them. They had all the usual freshmen in college activities planned. Watch The Wall followed by Grandma's Boy, listen to Bob Marley, etc.

I left them to it, came back about an hour later, and all four were passed out on the floor around the brownie pan exactly where they'd been sitting when I last saw them. We threw some blankets over them, shut the door, and didn't hear from them until the next day.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

darkhand posted:

I like the guy in the hat just immediately comes back into the line "Yeah I'd like some Marlboro Reds please"

No cuts :frogc00l:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

"Welp."

God, I love these super benign gently caress ups. I don't know why the simple stuff pleases me so much.

It's easier to empathize with "oh... well gently caress" moments than "I jumped off my roof to powerbomb a dude and broke my spine" moments.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

bpower posted:

That got the nerves going on the back of my legs.

You too, huh?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Squinty posted:

I'm not 100% sure that dog is even being aggressive? Just super excited.

This was my first thought. My cousin has a pair of pitts that love jumping on people and slobbering, and doing what that kid was doing is exactly what you do to get them in the mood for that. His neighbor tries to catch him off guard when they go out for walks by enticing the dogs, they will yank him off his feet like it's nothing if he's not watching them trying to get to someone sending them "Play" signals.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man, does anyone else remember Sir P Grothsmore, that kid who sued to get into Goonwaffe?

He paid 3 months worth of subscriptions on my pair of accounts when I convinced him I could get him in.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

Sometimes I think about getting back into EVE and reactivating my Goonwaffe account, just to spend my spare time scamming idiot publords. I'll never actually undock a ship or blow anything up, I just love to scam.

I quit the game when I realized that with an equal amount of time spent doing industrial things on an individual scale and scamming the recruitment channel I was pissing my time away doing anything but scamming people. The game basically became Evil Customer Service Chat Center Simulator.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

This is from way back, but it's absolutely incredible. "I'M YOUR SON!" :cry:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

snortpocket posted:

what if you had multiple personality disorder

Doesn't matter. The personality who experienced it cannot experience schaudenfraude and the nature of the disassociation there means that the other personalities by definition did not experience the bad thing and thus can experience schadenfreude. Even Schizophrenics can't have that both ways.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

:stare:

So many links...too many links...

:Edit:

Welp I got to "It's a boy" and I am scarred for life in a way that I did not think was possible. It's been fun SA :suicide:

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Jul 7, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Olewithmilk posted:

Unbelievable that after so many years of medical practice these things can still shock me. Still doesn't beat this classic from the textbooks though:

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/145Zwrl.jpg:nms:

:golfclap:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Merijn posted:

Cool, incoming double derail.

Here, have some destroyed supercars.

Supercar Schadenfreude is still the best Schadenfreude. I've never seen someone driving something that expensive who didn't drive like a complete rear end in a top hat and almost wreck constantly because in their minds Ferrari = Legal Right of way.

No, seriously, my mom was a paralegal in a building dedicated to solo lawyers and small firms and there was a douche-y family law dude who made a few million helping the wives of rich husbands walk away with half the assets. He got thrown in jail for a week for pissing off a judge arguing that because he was so rich he should have been ceded right of way blowing through a stop sign at 80 on a residential street and plowing into a car at the next intersection (in front of a cop).

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If I ever become so rich money is not a problem I'm going to just buy a fleet of 1990 Toyota Corollas and just drive them around smashing them into exotic cars.

Unironically the funniest post I've read in a week.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I could just post some Hot Tot articles and we can laugh at how stupid the guy who roasted his kid is and the fact that he's going to get murdered in prison, if you want.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Palpek posted:

Some brain damage schadenfreude. A scientology 'success stories' video leaked: http://www.56.com/u73/v_MTE1MDcxOTQy.html

I made some gifs from a few bits but honestly the whole thing is amazing.

:allears:

:magical: The crazy emanating from my computer screen... I've never seen people talk so enthusiastically about nothing. I mean, when Louis Thoreaux went inside the WBC at least they had concrete ideas to talk about and a party line for their cult that made a twisted sort of sense. This...this is just complete insanity.

I just heard the words "When she opened the indoctrination booklet" and that sentence ended with "This is what I've been missing?!"

I fundamentally do not understand how you lose your mind enough to join a cult and not have something you do or say just snap you out of it entirely. I watched a netflix documentary about this a few days ago and I still just don't understand at all.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jul 11, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

You have a choice at that point. You can leave the church knowing that you have no friends, no assets, and that once you're gone you will be labeled a Suppressive Person and the people you considered your brothers will be duty-bound to destroy your life, or you can stay and try to reconcile things in your head.

Duty bound to destroy your life? Like, specifically to work to undo someone or something like that? Not just amish style shunning but active life sabotage?

I don't know that much about scientology except what pops up in a thread now and then and the jokes I've seen and the lawsuits I've heard of for people who say bad things about the church. What exactly do they do to people who leave? I'm starting to go through that operation clambake website, is it all there? Sorry to scientology derail this stuff is just fascinating and I know almost nothing about them.

flakeloaf posted:

The psychology of cults is fascinating and I don't pretend to understand it all, but it has something to do with how smart people are used to understanding things the people around them don't, so when someone shows them "secret knowledge" they glom onto it and twist their minds into weird shapes trying to understand it while denying that they really don't get it. The fact that it's incomprehensible bullshit all the way down isn't a deterrent, it's just another "level" with a nugget of truth to be revealed at the end of it like a mental mouse snack at the end of a seriously hosed up maze.

I give Hubbard no credit at all for knowing any of this, or for deliberately crafting such a concentrated form of loony.

You know I can kinda get this as a former catholic. I tried to make it all fit. I learned about evolution and I tried to fit it in with church dogma (not all that hard, Catholics ascribe to intelligent design which is just "Evolution Because God". At the same time, Catholicism has had forever to flesh itself out into the War and Peace of religions and Scientology seems more like The Hardy Boys meets the novelization of ET or something. Really, what it comes down to is the difference between Catholicism which can and does allow for you to form communities with people who are not Catholics without it threatening your faith and Scientology which purposefully isolates you from anyone and then uses blackmail and threats to keep people in line.

I guess most people don't realize the blackmail and isolation until it's already under way? I just don't understand on any level letting some outside group dictate who you spend time around or associate with, to determine for you who "good" people are and who "bad" people are.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

When I cancelled my AT&T internet, the guy went through the motions of trying to get me to switch to a cheaper plan...until I told him I was switching to Google Fiber, and it's free (for seven years after a $300 installation fee) and he just gave up.

Benign pet pranks.

Hahaha God I'm going to have to do the tennis ball one to my lab shepherd. He'd go bananas.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Indiana Jones and the Castle of Takeshi.

This movie would be amazing :allears:

Scarf posted:

So, I could never be a successful tattoo artist because I lack all kinds of artistic talent... But I like to think that the other reason I could never be a successful tattoo artist is that I'd feel a moral obligation to NOT tattoo stupid poo poo like this on people's loving faces, thereby losing a lot of potential income.

Yeah I lack talent just like you do but if I had the talent I would absolutely love getting paid to be a part of people I don't know making terrible life decisions.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Jul 23, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

sorry double

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Varjon posted:

That day I log on to somethingawful and see my home newspaper linked in the schadenfreude thread

The schadenfreude is on me for living here

Also the alarmed dog picture that is your avatar.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

It...it is magnificent :stare:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

I swear to god if I'm 60 and bitcoin is like apple shares of stock I'm going to blame goons.

This but ironically.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

The head grab at the end like "Uh oh, I did a bad thing..." really makes this one.

Robawesome posted:

[–]Bit_By_BitLong-term Holder 6 points an hour ago*

Every time bitcoin crashes, all I get is phone calls telling me "What's happening with Bitcoin?!?!". I am put down by my peers constantly, and it affects my mental health - especially since I spend 20-30 hours per week writing, speaking and evangelising bitcoin.

Seriously, something has to give. This thing either needs to be killed and go to zero - or - it has to succeed for the people like myself who have been "buying-the-dips" for the past 10 months, only to still be in the red after all this time. You think you've done well by buying a $700-dip from $1000, then it goes to $600. You think you've done well by buying a $600 dip from $700, then it goes to $450. You think you've done well by buying the dip at $450, then it goes to $330. At this current moment in time, bitcoin is 100% a Ponzi Scheme - with "early adopters" slowly bleeding new hopefuls of all of their money. I still believe in the idea of bitcoin as a tool to save humanity, and how desperately we as a human race need something like bitcoin to succeed and save us from rotten legacy systems, but this is just straight-up Ponzi territory now.

Where's the thanks for our shows of support? Is there really no big money out there that believes in this humanity-transforming technology? We spend a lot of our time (i.e. money), energy (i.e. money), and physical money supporting this bullshit, and all we get is red.

Condescending/patronizing "lucky-ones" who were in the right place/time a few years ago, please spare me your bullshit - you cannot empathize with the majority of people who joined this ecosystem in 2014 hoping to make a positive difference to the world.

I have never enjoyed human suffering quite as much as since I discovered bitcoin though.

Robawesome posted:

I didn't learn about bitcoins until they were already $800 or something, then $300 a couple weeks later. I could never "invest" now but the technology is neat and if I had known about Bitcoins when that guy spent 10,000 of them on two Dominos pizzas I probably would have thrown in $10 as a joke as well. It's just as likely you'd have stored your coins on Gox and lost them when they folded.

Same, the first I heard of them was one of the first major crashes when they tanked from like 1100 down to under 700 and all I thought was "this is going to be entertaining as hell when it bubbles again"

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Rapman the Cook posted:

Bitcoin is hilarious someone should start a thread just about bitcoin so people can go talk there about bitcoin instead of in other threads.

Some of us aren't going to mine the bitcoin thread's depths for hilarity and appreciate the occasional snippet posted here :colbert:

• Locked thread