Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

dennyk posted:

At least you were doing replication as well as your regular mysqldumps/XtraBackups, so you didn't lose much, right?

Didn't lose anything as it was the old DB server I was decommissioning and it promptly died when I tried to copy some
stuff off it. Glad we moved production off it a month ago.

However, asked our hosting company to power cycle it to see if I could get it responding again and they switched off a different machine which is still down an hour later. :argh:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

3 hours later, hosting company still apparently unable to locate on button for server they switched off by mistake.

:shepicide:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Rhymenoserous posted:

This is code for "The server isn't in the rack where it should be".

I worked in webhosting, I loved finding a server with an asset tag on the opposite side of a 2000 square foot datacenter from where it should be.

Turns out this was code for we've hosed up the config on your server and are frantically trying to fix it before you notice.

Server was running xen hypervisor. After its unexpected power cycle it came backup up with a non xen kernel which fucks up the networking but its no biggy, you just have to reboot it with the right boot image selected. Unless you're our hosting company who try to 'fix' the networking by running system-config-network and overwriting the quite fiddly setup needed to get xen to bridge vlan'd connections.

Took them a further 4 hours to get a kvm connection that actually worked setup up so I could go in and fix it.

Only an 11 hour outage because they mislabeled the servers.

:black101:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Next time you buy mission critical hosting make sure your server has ipmi/kvm access.

Of course that doesn't help when the colo customer below you comes in and rips all the cables out of your servers, removes them from the racks and just tosses them on the floor because "it was easier for me to work on my server."

All of our newer gear does have ipmi on it for this very reason, it was one of our ancient ghetto servers that was getting binned in a week anyway. If they'd waited a couple of days to kill it the last of the traffic would have been moved and I wouldn't have cared.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Yes it really happened. It was a couple
of years ago so beer has kind of hazed up the memories but in a nutshell it was a shitstorm of fuckups.

:wtc:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

:j: ... I don't think hes going to like that

If there was ever a situation for dealwithit.gif this was it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

Stupid problem with Trent Micro Worry-Free Business Security 7. Each site for this client has their own trend micro server and with our domain name change a few months ago an issue has cropped up with one site. Trend is dumping can-to-email documents from the MFP into the jumk mailbox. We have verified it is trend doing it as outlook reports that it is a third party application filtering the email and there is no other non-standard software installed that is setup to filter email in any way. I have been through the configuration for the server, desktop and everything top to bottom and I cannot find any settings for email filtering. I have checked the trend servers for each site and they are all configured the same as far as I can tell. My googlefu has failed me as when i search for any kind of trend micro issues, I just get setup documentation for it.

When you say you can't find the email filtering settings, do you not have this screen?

Accessed via menu->security settings, then selecting the exchange server name from the list, then configure.

jre fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 9, 2013

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

Hmm neither the current or old Exchange server is setup on any of the trend servers.. All of our other servers are

Have you seen this page?
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1056742.aspx

Section 4 talks about the MSA which has the behavior your talking about.

quote:

For WFBS Advanced only: Configure the MSA.
You will be prompted to install the MSA at one of the following points:
Note: This procedure applies to both local and remote MSA installation.
The Configuring Messaging Security Agent page highlights the local MSA.
When installing the Security Server on a computer that has Microsoft Exchange server installed on the same computer, Setup prompts you to install a local Messaging Security Agent.
When installing the Security Server on a computer that cannot detect the existence of local Microsoft Exchange servers, Setup prompts you to install the remote Messaging Security Agent to remote servers.

quote:

Spam management
End User Quarantine - If selected, WFBS creates a separate spam folder on Microsoft Outlook in addition to the Junk E-mail folder.
Outlook Junk Email folder - If selected, WFBS stores spam mail into this folder. Since Outlook typically moves spam mail in the End User Quarantine (EUQ) folder to the Junk E-mail folder, Trend Micro recommends to select this option.

Edit:

Have you tried accessing https://yourexchangeserver:4343

jre fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 9, 2013

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

nitrogen posted:

our mssql, mysql and oracle teams are now combined.

Historically, i've mostly done oracle and mssql. Whenever i need a private interconnect for oracle (for heartbeat, cluster stuff) I have always connected it via a switch. It's just better and safer and makes sense.

Apparently the mssql guys just connect servers directly together, sans switch. Which is fine, really.

But today, I just had a call for a 3 node oracle cluster and the mssql guy is telling me "ABSOLUTELY NO SWITCH! WE HAVE TO CONNECT THEM DIRECTLY TOGETHER."

I'll just sit back and let the fail become evident, but jesus.

Nice, I would want to be in the room when they try to wire that up.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

A ticket trojan came in, and trend micro WFBS can't detect the new version of zBot/Zeus.
:suicide:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Potato Alley posted:

loving fixed.

Lol, We're considering replacing trend when the subscription comes to an end. Eset seems to be well considered, any other credible alternatives?

edit: The eset exchange plugin is licensed per mailbox not per server :stare:

jre fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 19, 2014

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

sfwarlock posted:

I do. Hence how I knew about the hour long rant that the nephew (let's call him Sean) went on about me "wasting money": in my billing, in "over"paying for Windows and Office, in "setting up an expensive computer no one uses" (?? I hope he wasn't referring to the DC); and the plan to throw me under the bus when the BSA came by.

I kind of want to quote them a massive gently caress-you rate, like $200/hour, but on the other hand I just don't want to touch the situation at all.

I hope when you saw what the nephew had done you just went "lol nope"
and moonwalked out :slick:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

An unhelpful webchat came in ......

So dell appear to have completely removed the ability to customise optiplex pcs on their UK website. You can no longer change the graphics card, ram or hd :stare:

Used to use that to get an idea of price before hitting up our account manager

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

lampey posted:

Dell has some items that are fixed config, and some that are fully configurable. Its generally the same underlying hardware, but you have to talk to a sales guy to find out some things.

They've removed the ability to customise the hardware on all the desktops on the UK website, it was there last month when I was pricing up some machines to replace our remaining XP machines still not done :emo:
I asked one of the online chat reps for which machines are still configurable on the site and she none of them were now. So the option is spend days emailing our rep or bug them to upgrade us to premier.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

sfwarlock posted:

This link has been going around work supposedly to test for Heartbleed; not sure if it's actually accurate: http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/#google.com

SSL check which includes heartbleed

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

On my last call I spent 5 minutes explaining how to type a website into the address bar.

"alright sir now type https://www.websitename.com in the address bar"
"... what's that you mean my bookmarks?"

On the other hand, I just spent 40 minutes talking to a really nice old dude who kept me on the phone asking questions on how to fix all sorts of things. The guy wanted to learn all about that stuff.

I guess you just take what you get.

ask them to hit CTRL L ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Entropic posted:

How in the hell?

By "desk phone" do you mean "mains power"?

The digital desk phones we have in work use a Ethernet connector and go through the same patch panel. They draw their power from the exchange similarly to POE. That should be enough to blow up the ethernet port if you were to plug it in by mistake.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

GreenNight posted:

That's hosed up. You'd think there would be some intelligence so that wouldn't happen.

It's an old style system that pre-dates proper converged ethernet / phones networks. The plugs on the phone aren't Ethernet but we use converters to share the wiring. Thankfully no-one has managed to use the wrong socket yet.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sickening posted:

Sounds like a safety hazard?

Possibly, I'm not sure if our setup would actually nuke an ethernet port or if the exchange can tell its not a phone plugged in , but just suggesting how it could have happened.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Lareous posted:

I work for a copier company and some of the networks I see are...well I've learned some things.

For instance, how to confuse the poo poo out of a Canon copier:

- Have no server to scan to, and set up Scan to Folder via hostname.

- Set every computer on the network the exact same hostname.

That doesn't sound so ba .... wait what ? :stare:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wintermuteCF posted:

The point that was being made is that "mint chocolate chip ice cream", when encrypted, is just 29 characters that for all you know are random. Even if you guessed "mint" was the first word, you don't know you got the first word right, because you still have 25 characters. As someone pointed out, this isn't a guessing game where someone is going to go "OKAY YOU GOT ME MINT IS THE FIRST WORD, WANNA KEEP GUESSING?"

Even so, you're correct to point out that that password is more vulnerable to a dictionary attack. A password like "correct horse battery staple" (as made famous from the XKCD comic) is more secure.

It's not more secure because its based on chained dictionary words. Are you familiar with the bitcoin concept of brain wallets ? Basically there was a system to create a cryptographic private key from phrases so that you would never have to write down the private key but could reconstruct it from a long phrase. Some enterprising genius was able to clean out lots of people by brute forcing billions of combinations of dictionary words then cleaning out the wallets as soon as anyone put money in them. It was trivial for this person to precompute the private keys using quote files, books , wikipedia etc.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

nielsm posted:

Except that you have to know the password has that form.

Install Windows posted:

If you know the system you're attacking allows very long password lengths, you can make sure your bruteforce attempts will include combinations of dictionary words with spaces before it switches over to iterating through aaaaaaaB and after running the first 2000 most common passwords in password database leaks.

If on the other hand you know the system caps at 16 characters you're not going to bother with sentences.

Many people overestimate how strong these passwords are because they don't appreciate how trivial it has become to brute force combinations of dictionary words.

Hacker finds sql injection in dickbutts.com which is still using md5 for passwords and steals all the hashes. Even if they are individually hashed this does not significantly slow the the attacker down.

Hashcat on this hardware

2x AMD HD 6990, 880 MHz GPU (clocked from 800), 1250 MHz RAM (stock)
Catalyst 12.1
Windows 7 x64

can bruteforce md5 at

MD5 23083.9 M/s
md5($pass.$salt) 23082.0 M/s

http://thepasswordproject.com/oclhashcat_benchmarking

That's 23 Billion passwords checked per second. If you were to use one of amazon's GPU compute nodes it would be even quicker.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

martyrdumb posted:

On the topic of password requirements, systems should not be vulnerable to brute-forcing in the first place. Three tries = lockout.

:ughh:

Multiple people in the thread have explained that it is in reference to attacking hashed passwords where the hashes have been stolen via sql injection or similar compromise.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

:siren: :toot: :yotj: :toot: :siren:

Good luck with the new one !

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

OH! I forgot to post in here about that. After months of nothing, I got an email from them Monday. They sent me a cheque. I'm waiting for it to clear, then ill release the domain to their new developer.

Im buying a lotto ticket tonight I think,

Get back in your pod!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sirotan posted:

A hilarious bug came in! I tried to add a work item on a ticket, and was met with this error:

Apparently writing '<user name>'s office' breaks the ticket!

KACE :allears:

:aaaaa:

Seriously. Non parameterised SQL in 2014 :wtc:

jre fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 2, 2014

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This was my first suggestion. They were not happy with it.

It keeps getting better though! Now they want to be able to present some sort of ra-ra go us slideshow! Outdoors, in the full sun! I had a 30 minute conversation on this will in no way shape or form work. So now I'm wasting more time in my busy day to explain that not even our super expensive boardroom projector that is ceiling mounted would work outdoors.

:allears:

They're just trolling you at this stage. I love explaining to people that , no you can't really see the multi kilowatt lighting rig during the day because the sun is actually quite bright :sun:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:suspense:

Multiple people being dumb with their aws credentials / spear phishing or flaw in the aws console ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I'm the arse-technica link used to support my irrational hatred of microsoft.

Jesus that is incredible, what was his reaction when he was let go.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sirotan posted:

Make your users buy you beer.

I think I'm about to print this out and stick it on the front of my cubicle and see if anyone bites.

I strongly object to the assertion in that poster that sysadmins would fix some's computer :argh:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Seem to be quite a few of the DUKW's running around - not bad for a 70 year old truck/boat hybrid.

Death traps

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-22922039

quote:

"It only took about four minutes to go down. The police, ambulance and air ambulance services arrived on the scene quickly and I think they got everybody off OK."

The incident is the second sinking involving one of the vessels this year.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Agrikk posted:

A sev 1 ticket came in...

...for an unreachable and therefore auto terminated instance...

...in an auto scaling web server pool...

...currently numbering over four hundred servers.

Dear User:

You don't "get" architecting for the cloud, do you?

(Remember children watching this at home- servers are cattle, not pets.)

Lol,

but seriously, what the hell are you hosting that requires 400 servers in the pool :stare:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Kurieg posted:

Fined for hanging up an auschwitz joke.

:ughh:

double woosh

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

go3 posted:

Two different jobs, two different things we networked today.

A 4kW laser cutter.
A piano.

How many pieces is the piano now in ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Renegret posted:

An ISP.

I'm literally the enemy, I guess.

*pbbbbbbbbt*

This is what I'm going to imagine every time I have to phone an ISP now

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

evol262 posted:

VSS has been dead for years. Please move onto TFS or something. There are no source control systems shittier than VSS anyway, except maybe Clearcase

Volume Snapshot Service, surely ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Prescription Combs posted:

But the cloud!!

Shared resources are a bitch. Hosting your critical poo poo on a shared box is asking for trouble. So far my experience with cloud servers is either a ton of small web heads behind a beefy load balancer during peak season or small bullshit servers that aren't really important for anything.

I loved having the "Why aren't we just putting everything in "the cloud" conversation.

Why not just get someone else make our SaaS product magically have 5 9s, it can't be that hard a problem .......

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:argh:

Gilok posted:

I may just keep doing this all day

:argh:

you as well

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Inspector_666 posted:

I think we're confused about why Parkinsons adds to the humor of the situation.

One of symptoms is uncontrollable hand tremors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BrainWeasel posted:

Quick update on BOFHMan; looks like his stunt is sort of working, because our corporate overlords sent an investigation team to our location, and invited sysadmin to prep some Powerpoint slides and sit in on a meeting with them and the people who set our budget to determine the root cause of the outage. I was not privy to the meeting, but I understand from a coworker that the sysadmin's slides included not just some strong language, but several clipart cartoons of a man pointing an accusatory finger out of the screen. He is still employed; I can only assume that corporate is still too stunned by the magnitude of this near-miss disaster to get defensive and retributive about him speaking truth to power.

That must have been :suspense: for your coworker

• Locked thread