Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

CharlieWhiskey posted:

BMW drivers in the US also feature "alternative parking" on all models.

I think the worst thing about this photo is that some rear end in a top hat was too lazy to walk that shopping cart 10 feet over to the holder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

I have never had any problems gauging distance based on a vehicle's lights, no matter the shape, size or whether or not one was broken. Look twice before turning, always err on the side of caution.

I'm one of those overly cautious people who I'm sure is infuriating to wait behind, but turning out of our parking lot at work to go left, there are telephone poles, trees, and a sign for the complex blocking the view of traffic. You can pull up just far enough that if you don't see a car, you've got enough time to make it across to the northbound lane. But if I'm leaving at night, If I can see the road lit by headlights, I just wait until I can see the car its attached to and wait for them to pass. I know I have plenty of time to get out there because if anything the lit road is saying hey, the car is this far back from the visible area so you know you have time, but there's just something movie-esque about oncoming headlights that triggers caution in my brain, and since I'm in no hurry I just wait. Apologies to people behind me, I am the person you share your office parking lot with.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I saw someone recommending free buses in NYC. They calculated that the time and gas spent collecting fares is greater than how much money the fares bring in.

By "gas spent" you just mean the gas the buses burn while idling as people board and pay? If so yeah that's pretty crazy. I figured by now they had integrated the subway MTA cards or something so you just swipe them by an rfid reader. The World's Capital my fanny, get on your game NYC.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Edward IV posted:

In Taiwan, some traffic lights, especially ones with large traffic volume, will have a countdown timer to indicate how long the red light will be.

We sort of have that here, in terms of watching the pedestrian crosswalk signals for your cross side that have countdowns. Likewise the crosswalk countdown for the side you're driving on is used on the approach so you know how long you have until it turns yellow.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Beach Bum posted:

Who the gently caress gets it on in a LIT gas station parking lot at 3AM?

Meth addicts?

Also regarding the dick husband, I know she said the guy could have just passed on the right, but then it sounds like there wasn't room to get around because otherwise how was he able to spend the next 30 miles keeping the truck boxed in?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

StormDrain posted:

The car is your 'personal space' where the road is 'public', it's the feeling of being in your home despite being out in the wild. We don't think of the car as our clothes but a fort.

Do people with convertible tops down subconsciously act more polite?

Obviously the Camaro was the cause and the truck driver was a dick agitator, but my question is about the semi driver. If you see something like that going on right next to your rig, wouldn't you just be freaked out by the potential of damage and start backing off just to remove yourself from the situation? I just wonder what kind of costs/insure/lost time an accident like that brings about and how paranoid that would make truck drivers in that situation. Does being independent vs. working for a giant corporation affect your mindset? Do you start thinking you're the Titanic and nothing can sink you so no need to worry about icebergs brake-checking each other?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

From the youtube comments it seems that the mustang owner was charged with driving w/o a license and driving while intoxicated.

Did you mean the Camaro or was this calling back to that Mustang that went into the oncoming lane and drove the semi off the road? Too many drunk people in muscle cars driving semis off the road itt.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

-S- posted:

Who taught people that it was ok to do this?

What's going on here is that I'm sitting in there waiting on the W->E traffic to pass so that I can turn left onto the Hwy on ramp. The fool to the North is exiting the highway and has a stop sign, and he wants to turn left, so he has to cross the center. As I'm sitting there waiting on traffic so I can make my left turn, he pulls directly in front of me, blocking me so that he can go when traffic is clear. This happens at least 3 times a week at this location. I've started pulling all the way forward to where I basically have to make a near u-turn to make my left, but it 100% blocks them out of doing this. The last lady that did it got so mad at me when she realized she was going to be stuck across the lane, blocking the E->W traffic and raged out like it was MY fault. What the gently caress is this and where did people learn it?

No idea, that's just unacceptable since you completely have right of way. I can say I did that to someone once, but it's at a place where instead of turning left you could only make a u-turn, so if you're sitting there for minutes being a sissy who can't make a u-turn until there's a 20 second gap in the oncoming cars and all I need is one lane to merge into traffic then you can just keep sitting there all day, I'm leaving.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Hikaki posted:

No one got hit so that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. She didn't pull forward enough before backing in and realized her mistake, no harm done. Although I don't know why she even wanted to in the first place since it would have given her less room to open her door.

I assumed since the parking space looked reserved for people with babies that maybe she had a kid in a carseat on the rear left side. Certainly with the time she wasted she could have gotten them out from the opposite side easily enough though.

Edit: vv I heard your grandma passed away.

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 1, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I don't think he's actually dodging. He's running into the guy's arm which pushes him around.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Negromancer posted:

Yea, thats from one of the old Mischief videos from ~2003 I think? Basically a bunch of assholes driving around in fast cars filming their shenanigans. 17 year old me loved watching them.

What was the name of that video back then with the Porsche in Oslo I think that gets pulled over by the police at like 3am, then runs off into the city and all around through red lights and ends up pulling in front of a house?

ninja edit: it was Getaway in Stockholm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE3Zjcngj74

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Killstick posted:

Came across this scene yesterday on my way home from work. At first i thought there had been an accident but after i stopped and got off my bike i realized that no, an XC90 (brand new 2015my!) had just decided to stop in the middle of the road with the right side indicators on. Not only is he blocking the road but also the exit from the parking lot. By the time i got there a queue had already formed behind it (this is 5 o'clock rush hour traffic) and while i was watching it sat there for at least 5 minutes while being constantly bombarded by honking. Now and then cars would pass but there was quite a lot of cross traffic so progress was slow. I was intrigued to say the least by this spectacle and i had to know what was going on so i stuck around. After 5 minutes a middle aged woman comes out of the store across the parking lot and walks down to the car (this alone takes like 45 seconds), get's in the passenger seat and the car drives off. I don't understand. There is no explanation.

5 Minutes really? I understand that no matter how dumb and selfish people are we're not supposed to gently caress with other people's cars, but sitting there for that long is that the kind of thing you can just walk up and let most of the air out of their tires? Not so that it'll slice them up as they drive off but enough that they'll notice and have to pull over somewhere close and re-inflate them. The kind of hassle that may take them I dunno, 5 minutes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Crotch Fruit posted:

Sorry, you are full of poo poo if you say it's not inconvenient to come to a stop on a bicycle. I ride an aluminum framed Trek, it's not a pro bike but it's better than a Wal-mart special and the aluminum frame makes it pretty light, but I still dislike coming to a stop. If I leave the bike in hi gear pedaling from a stop takes a lot more effort, if I shift to second gear it my derailer takes a while to switch gears. Both of those options require more effort than a driver moving their foot two inches to a brake pedal. My point is that if I am driving and I see a bicycle who is not acting stupid, I will try to brake for them because I like bikers and I don't want to force them to stop.

Alternatively though, if we're trying to promote biking to reduce carbon emissions, stopping a car is a lot worse for the environment than stopping a bike.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Sometimes I'll drive with two feet if I'm in stop and go traffic where everyone is packed in pretty tight. Like sanity said, you don't actually rest your foot on the pedal, so I wouldn't recommend it for the elderly or infirm.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Pixelated Dragon posted:

One's mental illness does not mean he is not to be held accountable for his behavior.

Plus if he's mentally ill he'll just be a financial drain on our healthcare system so you're doing a public service running him over. See PT6, now you're not such a horrible person by comparison :)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

The Mandingo posted:

What do you goons think about this?

Everyone's pretty much answered this correctly but I'll extend it further to say that when I leave work and make a right turn into 3 lanes of traffic, I know that I only need one lane free to turn into, but I tend to wait until there's space in the middle lane also for me to either get out before the next car or right after. Even though I won't stick my nose into that second lane, if the driver in it is anything like me expects that I'm an idiot who simply doesn't see him, and may take evasive maneuvers. If I was the red turn dude I'd stick my nose out but I wouldn't dare make the turn simultaneously with green because people get freaked out when they see a car heading towards them. There is no way to know whether someone sees you and is an idiot or not.

Same goes for if there were two turn lanes at green going into 3 lanes southbound. I make a turn like that every day and if I'm in the top turn lane and there's no one coming from red's side, I'll take that far lane even though I know I'm not supposed to, because I've seen more than enough people in the bottom lane go straight into the middle to fear for my safety. If there is someone waiting at red then I'll manage my speed so I'm not parallel with the other guy turning, because if I don't then that'll be the day someone merges right into me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Smoke posted:

I was lucky enough to not be liable for this type of accident about 2 years ago. It helped that the other party was driving drunk and our statements of what happened matched. He wanted to "teach me a lesson" because I was driving the speed limit in the left lane of a 2-lane road with another car in the right lane pretty much matching my speed, on a road littered with speed/red light cameras and traffic lights.

He felt I should have been speeding to pass the other car to move over to the right, and tried to make this clear at first by aggressively tailgating and flashing the high-beams, then illegally going straight in a left-only lane at a traffic light, pulling out at high speeds(lane light was also red) and cutting me off, then slammed on his brakes the moment he got in front of me(the "lesson")

I ended up pulling over and calling the police(while being threatened by the guy at first until he saw that I was serious about calling the police), breathalyzer test concluded that he was drunk and the officer told me I was not at fault(Along with informing me that he was at fault for also creating a dangerous situation by abruptly braking for no good reason, along with drunk driving)

The other guy ended up having to go to court over it, and his insurance company waited with payment until a week or so before the court date(9 months later, the Belgian legal system is slow as hell)

Alright, is it my turn to be the one to say that despite everything being this drunk assholes fault, the situation could have been avoided if you had just been in the same lane as the person whose speed you were matching in the passing lane for some reason? I'm glad you didn't because I like stories where drunk drivers get their comeuppance, but most of us would have prioritized our car and our safety and avoided the situation entirely.

Edit: vv oh yeah, he mentioned there were lights on the road.

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 3, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsZ6Fwdpo0

Always respect your elders, giving them a wide berth.

e: vvv It's from the China.jpg thread in gibbis, the comments say it's an 80+ year old man driving to the hospital to get meds. Or maybe he works for the hospital and is drumming up business.

I wonder just how many 30-somethings he thinks are worth murdering to save his own life.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

GramCracker posted:

"Sport Mode" and "Corolla" generally have never been seen before in the same sentence.

But in the S model that CVT is getting 132 blazing horsepower thrown at it! It's got almost as much torque as an FR-S and that's sporty!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My car has bluetooth and in 3 years I've never bothered pairing my phone to it. I keep my mp3's on a usb drive in the port so I don't need music or anything from it. But I usually don't answer it while driving and no one calls me anyway.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I'm the person you share the road with. I was changing lanes in D.C. tonight and I completely missed one of those tiny smart 2go or whatever rental cars on my left. He had to honk to let me know he was there. It's so embarrassing to be schooled by a dinky smartcar horn but I had it coming. Later that night I was triple-shoulder checking before lane changes on the beltway. That kind of thing must happen a thousand times a day in any major city but not to me dammit, I'm one of the good ones!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ geez at 75mph how far is 8 seconds? I feel like there's not landscape flat enough for me to even see 8 seconds in front of me here.

Cakefool posted:

Anecdatally but if I drop back a couple more car lengths every time some wazzock cuts into my braking gap, I end up adding nearly 2 minutes onto my hour-long commute. Intolerable I tell you. So now I'm the wazzock that cuts everyone up, knocking nearly 2 minutes off my hour commute. Worth it.

Obviously there are a million factors in any hour long commute but imagine that when you choose to allow a ton of people to merge in front of you it isn't just you it's affecting, it's potentially everyone behind you too. It's this same mentality when people don't pay attention at a stop light and it takes them 5 seconds to realize it's green, then they go. They figure hey why'd that jerk have to honk at me, I woke up and we both made it through the light just fine, what's the rush? Well, that's like 4 people at the back of the line who now have to wait an entire cycle because of those 5 seconds.

The guy in the initial video wouldn't have avoided the accident following at what I'd consider a reasonable follow distance, but boy howdy would it have been avoided if the guy who just kept going straight into the barrier when the road bent had just been paying attention.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cage posted:

Im on your wifes side, why use a parking brake in an auto?

Why do you hate parking pawls?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cage posted:

I use a parking brake in my manual car, Ill never touch it in my auto.

Do you leave your manual in gear when you park in addition to the parking brake? If so, why?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I mean if everywhere you park is completely 100% flat I'd say don't bother except once a week just to keep it in use and make sure it's working. I don't bother using it in my garage but that's the only place I ever go that I'm 100% certain is completely flat. My girlfriend refuses to use hers and she parks on my driveway which has enough of an incline that your car would roll if left in neutral. I had assumed Cage's area was not completely flat since you once posted a photo of your car in your driveway on an incline. I guess you never park it on that section of your driveway, or that was some other person's driveway?

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 11, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Whiz Palace posted:

Fun fact: for a while, all Mercedes had these, even the manual transmission models.

That seems crazy. I can't find an image on google of that and I want to see 4 pedals crammed in there together. Any idea what years?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jamal posted:

When I'm driving an auto around I only use the parking brake on inclines.

You should probably wait until you're parked for that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

`Nemesis posted:

First thing I noticed was the cam cars good taste in music.

Heh, peniston

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

The Vantage made him seethingly jealous, but what really pushed him over the edge was seeing the owner exit the vehicle and take a $1200 stroller out of the trunk.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Why are the curb feelers on the top?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I just got off the metro coming out of D.C. When I had parked someone had just left so I had the closest possible spot aside from 4 handicapped spots, and as I was leaving an older guy was getting into his car in a handicapped spot a couple car down. I waited a second after I started the car, thinking if he was backing out I'd wait so we weren't doing it simultaneously, but he wasn't going yet so I headed out. Two exits where the gate lifts after paying and I take the right, he's obviously rushing now because he's almost caught up to the left one, but right after the gate I have to make a left turn at the light so seeing he's in a hurry I give him time to go by so I can merge after him, even though the light is red so what the hell is his hurry? Well he gets up to the light, stops as one does at a red light, then proceeds to make the left turn. Maybe his handicap is that all light sources look like they're blinking?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Why wouldn't he

I was thinking Sam Waterston but he's way too cool for pleated pants.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Geirskogul posted:

Well, if you watch, the sun is directly behind the truck, and the ground is wet and reflective, so that is actually a perfectly good (if lame) excuse that you have to watch out for when you're an engineer on an apparatus. It doesn't change the fault balance of the accident (it is a driver's responsibility to clear an intersection, and if the sun prevents them clearing it, then they should not proceed), but on the flipside, who's at fault doesn't change the physics of what she can and cannot see.

But was she also deaf or do old Pontiac Grand Am's have really good sound deadening?

Edit: nevermind, description said she heard sirens. Boy when I heard siren and I can't tell where they're coming from I go into full alert mode.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 31, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

nitrogen posted:

I was riding home. I didnt stay at the scene, honestly, because it was 92 degrees out and I was decked out in riding gear that is hot as gently caress unless you're moving.

You should have offered to be her +1 and thrown your bike in the back.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Driving in to work today I was behind this Ford Explorer that looked like they had lowered the suspension. Then I noticed the thing just bouncing all over the place so I assume it wasn't intentional and just had completely broken poo poo, but the guy obviously didn't know where he was going based on his late lane changes for a turn, so I got around him since we had two turn lanes and sped off in order to make a green light. He made the light too and I guess decided I had challenged his manhood so he came zooming up behind me and changed to the left (of 3) lanes at the last second. Just as he did that the guy in front of me for seemingly no reason merged to the left, so the guy swerved back right in front of me, then back left in front of the guy, all the while bouncing his top-heavy explorer all over the place. Whatever, I made all the green lights and work is just up ahead so I merge over to the right lane for the parking, then looking up ahead I see that explorer has now swerved into the far right lane and now has two wheels up on the sidewalk before swerving back down and coming to a stop at the red light. Hopefully he has learned the physical limitations of speeding and swerving in a 4,500 lbs SUV with busted suspension.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I don't get people who drive with lapdogs. I doubly don't get this guy driving with an almost full grown Labrador in his lap, half hanging out of the car window, while he holds onto the collar to keep it from jumping out completely.

Every Monday I used to see this old guy with a white poodle on his lap with its paws on the steering wheel. It was super adorable.

It was in a GT-R.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

you ate my cat posted:

Part of the concept of the Pittsburgh Left isn't just that people here do it, it's also that other drivers at the intersection often expect it and leave the space to allow it. If I'm first at a light, and the guy across from me is turning left, I'm going to delay my start at the green with the expectation that he's going to turn as soon as the light changes. I've seen (and pulled) the same maneuver in other states, but it just doesn't seem to have the same level of mutual agreement between the drivers.

I think it's funny that I had never heard of the phrase "Pittsburgh Left" until today but I immediately and accurately guessed what it was buy just thinking what's the most rear end in a top hat way to make a left turn at an intersection.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Uthor posted:

Last time I was on 88, there was a cop doing about 56 mph in middle lane and absolutely no one was willing to pass him. There were three lanes backed up behind him. Every once in a while someone would pass everyone super aggressively only to get up to the cop and stop behind them. I stayed in the right lane hoping someone would take an exit and let me by, but cars kept merging in at 50 and pushing everyone even further back.

Reminds me of once like 10 years ago on the D.C. beltway they were trying to I think get the speed limit increased, and this group of people went out and drove exactly 55mph in all 4 lanes to prove a point. It was an absolute shitshow.

Edit: and some truckers tried it again a couple years ago but that was to protest Obama.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 10, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

corgski posted:

I always heard drive to the ER entrance at a hospital, because there's always going to be someone there, and their security is actually allowed to intervene.

Yeah that'd also be pretty intimidating. Like "this guy I'm following is so confident that he assumed I'd need an E.R. once he fucks me up so maybe I'll just go home."

That's what I'd imagine anyway, right before the dude stabs me and drives off. Either way E.R. was a good choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

I've completely stopped caring about people behind me who think I'm going too slow.

Yes, I am going the speed limit plus maybe 5kph due to speedo inaccuracy. Yes, the speed limit for this road really should be higher. No, I am not willing to get a ticket just because you want to go faster.

As one of the people stuck behind you, I'm fine with that. If you're afraid of a ticket you're well within your rights to stick to the law. If I'm on a multi-lane highway I will tailgate the poo poo out of some rear end in a top hat blocking the passing lane but if it's some back road then the onus is on me to get around you. If there's no one around and we're on a huge straightaway but its still a double yellow because the government plays to the lowest common denominator, maybe I'll break the law and safely pass in the oncoming lane. If I'm not feeling it I'll just slow down and chill out behind you because if there's only one lane you're not doing anything wrong no matter how much of a rush I'm in.

I guess I'm lucky to live in an area where both the cops and the speed cameras don't care until you're 11mph over the limit. If you want to make a point about the limit being too low on a specific road, make sure you do it when there's a cop behind you. I bet they love that.