Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

losonti tokash posted:

Also, I think the codex would be vastly improved if the entries were all read by Simon Templeman.

The same could be said for pretty much anything. He could out-narrate Morgan Freeman by merely phoning it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blue Raider posted:

The Elder Scrolls games do this, too. In Skyrim, Alduin flapped around and killed some random city guards, but in the next one, guaranteed, there will be books that talk about him leveling cities and razing the countryside and such. It doesn't bother me too much.

Imagine Skyrim on the Frostbite 3 engine. That whole Helgen sequence would have been monumental and elder dragon attacks on the towns and cities would have been hilarious. "So, uhm, I was supposed to meet Delphine in Riverwood but the map marker takes me to a crater. Help!"

I agree on the lore thing though, Alduin will be played up as a world-ending titan come TESVI. The historical accuracy lens has always been a bit cloudy and warped.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Merry Magpie posted:

Arlathan being the Black City would require the following:

1. The Arlathan Forest located east of the Tevinter Imperium being a misnomer.
2. The magisters of the Tevinter Imperium, who named the Golden/Black City, somehow failing to notice that the elven city they destroyed was located in the Fade.
3. Every geographic detail provided in the Codex Entry: Arlathan being incorrect. Example: "The humans first arrived from Par Vollen to the north."
4. The statement, "it is said that the Tevinter magisters used their great destructive power to force the very ground to swallow Arlathan whole," being a metaphor.

Regardless, Bioware will do whatever. Flemeth could be an Old God. Anders/Justice/Vengeance could reappear in the Fade. Leiliana could spontaneously reattach her decapitated head.

It would be stupid, but it would not be the first time.

It wouldn't be the first time that misleading lore had been inserted into a video game, or indeed into real history to mask the actual facts by those who did not wish them known. In this case it's an enormous stretch, though one I wouldn't exactly be completely surprised by if they did decide to throw it as a curveball to keep things interesting, despite the fact that as you said there are several large fallacies that it would create.

quote:

Leiliana could spontaneously reattach her decapitated head.

Wait what? I don't remember this and I don't have it in me right now to reinstall DA2 and play through it to find the beheading you're on about. Where did this happen?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

losonti tokash posted:

He just means that you can literally cut her head off in DA1 but she'll still be alive in 2 if you import that save.

Oh, ok. Yeah that's a pretty glaring inconsistency right there.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

Conan was a rogue. Dude was always sneaking around and stealing poo poo.

Except for when he was a pirate.

He was a rogue who on occasion wore lamellar or scale armour and knew his way around bigger weapons, so I guess that would mean he was a rogue who opted to go dual class, and he did so six years before Gary Gygax was even born, that's how badass he was.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't know if I'd even call Witcher combat legitimately tough. It's more that there's a right way and a wrong way to fight. The right way is to use Quen, even after the nerfs. The wrong way is to not use Quen.

After getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly by Letho at the end of the game on Dark difficulty I decided to try mixing it up, Quen was fine for regular engagements with regular enemies or earlier minibosses but let me just say that Aard is woefully underappreciated. With liberal use and knocking him backwards into a wall, I was able to kill that baldy bastard in under a minute.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

After spending 20 minutes trying to kill Letho the first time I just let him walk. Plus it seemed thematically appropriate at that point. Got Triss back and just went "gently caress it. Got mine. Later assholes."

I was all "nobody kidnaps MY totty, die"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Opposing Farce posted:

Some of the templars are decent, others are dickheads, but in general the order's got a self-righteous streak and a paranoia that never seems totally justified. I mean, maybe it's just game balance getting in the way of the story, but "demons and abominations run amok in the Circle" seems like it's basically the worst possible scenario in terms of mages gone awry and I fixed that in a couple of hours with three dudes and a rock monster. Besides I have to be against the "these people scare us let's lock them up" faction just on principle.

As for Anders, he's definitely an rear end but I'm okay with that. Some of his banter is funny and he's generally affable. He's pretty callous about those two dead templars, but his very first reaction when you meet him is "I didn't do it!" (because he knows he's going to get blamed, which he does) and considering his relationship with templars/the circle I can't blame him for not getting torn up about it.

(Of course he's apparently a totally different character in DA2 so I can't speak to that.)

Then there's the whole "let's abuse lyrium" angle. It's ok for them but not for the mages. Riiiight.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crabtree posted:

Does our Orlesian Voltaire have a name?

I really hope the accents are understandable, because that text could be incredibly painful to read if there's too much white or bloom.

If there isn't an arrogant Orlesian noble twiddling his moustache with a throaty "au-hauhauhau" laugh I shall be deeply disappointed.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lotish posted:

Bees?

Bees.

Also while we may only be able to take a limited number of potions with us from a camp we can clearly keep plenty on hand.

"My father was a beekeeper before me, his father was a beekeeper before him. I want to walk in their footsteps, and their footsteps are AAAAAAH I'M COVERED IN BEEEEEES"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

and those gold teeth! I would have thought being pimpin' was against the Qun.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom, the Magnificent Bastard was also a great character and I liked the verbal duel with him.

Absolutely this. I loved that guy. John Cleese really brought it, as usual.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Batham posted:

There was a lot of things wrong with the Mass Effect 3 ending, but "they made the reapers too strong" is a poor excuse for straight out terrible writing. The reapers could've been dealt with in many different ways, they just weren't ways that Bioware wanted to take. The pointlessness of Mass Effect 2's main plot and Bioware's obsession to make Mass Effect a trilogy, also didn't help.

Well, it's not like they had us just pick a col-- oh wait :v:

quote:

It's a common subject in Dutch gaming communities, but it's often joked about how translated/dubbed Dutch versions of games would be like. Considering that the companies that do these Dutch translation often take the literal translation route, we'd end up with for example a "hamstring" ability being renamed to "vlees-onderbroekje" or, when translated back to english, 'meat underpants'. :haw:

This is awesome. "Engrish" should be a valid language choice.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Dragon Age: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I would play the gently caress out of that with a crossdressing Qunari adherent of Orlesian fashion.

edit: First DA:I character runthrough decided.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gotta say, I'm liking the breadth of choices you can govern through the keep, I was even able to put my rear end in a top hat rogue noble on the throne and sacrifice that whiny bitch Alistair to the defeat of the archdemon so my Warden could bag the queen himself, when in my playthroughs I never actually managed to get a character into that situation. I also like the ability to save multiple worldstates and share them (well, when it's working).

This is my favourite piece of concept art ever.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm trying to download Elite: Dangerous on a hilariously slow (~90KB/s) connection right now, so I'm not watching, but are we talking Skyrim Nexus levels of pelvis-dislocating hipsway?

edit: As for what I'm playing to pass the time between now and Inquisition time, a bit of Nosgoth, King of Fighters 13, Van Helsing 2, Shadow of Mordor and as with the poster above, I recently acquired Crusader Kings II. Also my Iceni campaign in Rome 2 needs attention.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 20, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Does this mean syncing is back now?

I'm not sure syncing is, but it allowed me to save a second non-default worldstate earlier.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Drifter posted:

I was expecting at best to have about four in game and the rest would be separate DLC purchases.

Fingers crossed for a day one Squig mount mod.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

SgtSteel91 posted:

Doesn't Tevinter have giant scorpion mounts?

I hope so, that would be badass. A Qunari mage with his mouth sewn shut and giant, gold-ring-pierced horns adorning his mutilated head, hurling lightning bolts and death clouds from the back of something out of Clash of the Titans is so loving metal.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zzulu posted:

Uhm, Mass Effect 3 is literally the worst game ever made. Except for Dragon Age 2, which is literally the worst game ever made

Someone's never heard of Derek Smart.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm curious as to why you give Isabella a special pass. What set her apart from the others?

This is the character who cannot go one single conversation without making (multiple) sex jokes after all.

Case solved.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

and horse armour

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Drifter posted:

You're really hung up on this whole slavery thing.

At least they get some nice bracelets and stuff, you know?

Yeah, at least they're doing something useful and not sitting around soaking up Fereldan welfare money.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Drifter posted:

A true Grey Warden would convert the slaves, too, imho.

"Drinks on the house" *secretly adds Darkspawn blood to keg*

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:iceburn:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Operation Get Behind The Pointies.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Spoil it, for those of us who don't really fancy playing through DA2 again.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That is truly glorious and I salute your dedication.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mymla posted:

Filling out the DA1 tapestry was easy.
Filling out the DA2 tapestry is hard as gently caress because I can't remember who any of these people are.

A bit more context for the various sidequests and minor NPCs would be nice.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Dragon Age is not, is nowhere close to being dark or gritty. It's a bog-standard fantasy setting with a ASOIAF style seasoning of rape and people being assholes. It really, really isn't dark, gritty, or low-fantasy.

I would have respected Bioware if it was in more than the most token of ways. If killing Connor at Redcliffe was actually the morally right decision because running off to get help would have resulted in the demon returning in your absence, for example, my respect for the game would have gone up a notch.

As it is, it's just an off-brand Forgotten Realms with more blood and rape.

Everything needs more blood and rape.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Shugojin posted:

Bioware seem to THINK it's dark and gritty though and that's a problem.

All told I hope they manage to make mage/templar decision hard in the way that The Witcher made the "who do you support?" decision. By putting some likeable dudes as your contacts and leaving you with the feeling that you made a mistake :v:

I think that would give the decisions a greater sense of impact, affecting the player more personally and making them weigh their decisions more thoughtfully, so I'm all for it.

Of course I've already pre-planned my first character to be an absolute anti-Templar rear end in a top hat but that's beside the point.

edit: ^^^^ get ploughed like a whoreson :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A. Beaverhausen posted:

God I loving hate Liara so much. She's the epitome of dev crush plot armor baby shoe horned love interest to me. And she's boring as all hell.

Might as well throw totally-not-loli into that assessment because she looks a wee bit young for snausage-related shenanigans but she's totally not underage because Asari live for centuries!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Archimago posted:

3 minute sex scenes of blowjobs from Morrigan

Googling this instead landed me a cosplay POV video of Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers. Win/win, I'd say.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Basic Chunnel posted:

Isn't there still a Bioware branch working on the new Command and Conquer

You mean the F2P browser game?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

Need the option to mockingly scream ZUT ALORS as a conversation-ender with every Orlesian character

There'd better be at least one Napoleon-esque "MERDE! MERDE! MERDE! MERDE! MERDE!" tantrum rant in there somewhere.

Also I was informed earlier (without a cited source, mind you, other than the guy works at Gamestop, so take that as you will) that the PC version will be frame-locked to 30 because they just can't get Frostbite to run it at 60fps like they can on the Xbone and PS4.

edit: day one DLC, 60fps pack. :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Shugojin posted:

Holy lol at the very idea of thinking this.

I had to suppress the urge to laugh my rear end off at the statement and tell him he was talking utter bollocks. Downplaying PC gaming must be corporate policy for Gamestop or something because he's done this before and told me completely ridiculous anti-PC, pro-console nonsense. I just thought it so entertaining I had to share with you guys.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

There is no way that's true. First of all, to state the massively obvious for anybody reading Something Awful -> Games, "the PC" isn't even a single thing you can point at. It's an abbreviation for a computer running Windows that is made up of an ever improving collection of hardware, each piece more powerful than the last. Second, the Bone and the PS4 are both very close in architecture to a modern desktop computer, except less powerful than the average gaming PC built within the last year or so.

Basically the guy at Gamestop is a gullible idiot.

I get the distinct feeling he's spouting the party line and has absolutely no experience with PCs, and continues to talk bollocks despite him being aware of the fact I know my poo poo.

Archimago posted:

Did he have a neckbeard? That's how we'll know if he knows what he's talking about.

Not so much a neckbeard as a full one actually.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Brony Hunter posted:

Does his uncle also work for Nintendo? And did he tell you that you can catch Mew, but you have to move the truck first?

:laffo: I would not doubt that he has in fact drank the kool aid and fallen for that poo poo himself.

edit: having watched the Vivienne trailer I'm very happy with how ridiculous the Orlesians sound.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 5, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Archimago posted:

Also, only console peasants shop at Gamestop. You, sir, are a race traitor.

Where else can I piecemeal pay off my Limited Collectors Edition of Witcher 3? Granted, my nephew now works at Walmart in the electronics department so I can abuse his 10% discount and not deal with Gamestop employees but when I have half a dozen games coming out I want to pay off in advance I simply gird my loins and armour my intellect with the "nothing is true" mantra.

Also I can't stand French people but Leliana's accent makes me hard.

GreatGreen posted:

I for one think that accent wasn't nearly French enough because the actor clearly did not start literally every sentence with "Aw haw haw" and he didn't even say "wine" at least seven times.

Also the guy wasn't wearing a beret and black and white horizontally striped shirt so yeah, definitely not French.

You sir think exactly the way I do, I mock the French incessantly with the "au-hawhawhaw" laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I just hope I can pork Leliana again. Hot ginger :love:

• Locked thread