Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

GargleBlaster posted:

More Apple poo poo that pisses me off

Every time it does this, it's 6 hours or so to recreate the backup from scratch.

I wonder if duplicity's available or something...

I've had this same issue a few times now, I eventually found this guide on how to fix the sparsebundle though and it works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
poo poo that pisses me off for some reason, people who never clean their poo poo.

Every time a laptop gets passed to me after a staff member leaves, or someone needs me to fix something they're always smeared in dust, hair and hand grease.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Our old san is really pissing me off at the moment, a disk has failed in it which is causing everything on unrelated LUNs to slow to a crawl. as in unusable for a day

I wish I could change the rebuild priority or something, I'm just glad we're in the process of migrating all the data off it.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

poo poo pissing me off today:

-lovely colo servers and providers
-openfire and jabber in general
-bitlbee.

Argh. This will be a long weekend unfucking server poo poo.

Openfire was a pain for me too, switch to hipchat and never look back!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
sometimes I don't know whether I should drink or just laugh at work.

One of the "senior" windows admins at work today was talking about privileges, in that Deny takes precedence over Allows which he classifies as a bug and hopes is fixed in windows soon...
Pretty sure the reasoning behind this is even covered in one of the many certs he's done but whatever.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Ghost Cow Goes Boo posted:

This is going to be a such a loving trainwreck.

Start looking for another job!

Is MS just going around paying people off to switch to their garbage? this isn't the first instance I've heard of.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Today it's me pissing me off. Having a text file of passwords on a network drive finally bit me in the rear end.

Who thinks this is acceptable?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Both ends are supposed to check, but neither is absolutely required to by the spec. Windows Server's default configuration is going against the recommended behavior but is technically still OK. Every other DHCP server I've used (various distributions or embedded vendors versions of ISC DHCPd and dnsmasq) defaults to checking on its end as well rather than relying on the client.

Windows checks would be pointless, just about every server in a windows domain is going to block ICMP completely for "security" so it'd really only slow things down.

Actually I'm retarded, even if they do block ICMP completely you'll still get an ARP reply right?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Blocking ICMP on a domain network is not default behavior, so this would require that someone already went out of their way to be stupid. Not saying it doesn't happen, but the majority of the times I run in to "blocking ping makes it more secure :downs:" it's on firewall appliances rather than endpoint devices.

ICMP Echo definitely is blocked by default on domain members, Domain Controllers do not block it by default though.

A new install with a new domain:

quote:

ARP actually doesn't work for a server-side check because a DHCP server may be serving (through relay agents) a number of networks that aren't local to it and thus an ARP would never reach.

Hadn't even thought of that situation, very good point.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

I stand corrected, forgot my machine was not bound to the domain at the moment. Looks like Windows 8 differs from 7 on the defaults as well, my machine shows it as allowed on Private networks and I know I haven't manually modified that where yours has it denied across the board.

I still don't get the reasoning. Sure, let's throw away a useful diagnostic tool just because Microsoft hosed it all up once nearly 20 years ago and some Windows 95 machines crashed.

Probably worried that they've got other bugs or security holes i guess? even if it wasn't blocked by default you'd find a lot of morons doing it themselves.

Had a customer recently with a routing issue, needed a traceroute but they wouldn't allow traceroute through their firewall outbound because it'd be a "Security Risk"

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Great idea, lets cheap out on the office fitout and have ethernet cables coming out of the desks instead of fitting sockets and using patch leads.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Office fitout going great, it's friday, we have to start at the new office on monday.

The electrician can't find the correct line in the MDF so we might end up not having any internet

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

Alas, it doesn't work that way here. Our direct supervisor is not on our side, he is simply a mouthpiece for his managers now, and they simply repeat what is passed down from above. The only person who actually stood up for us left earlier this year since he was sick of that, so here we are. Going by what some coworkers have said, they are handing our a ton of "meets expectations" this year, while a year ago all of us were seeing higher scores. Maybe this is due to the new review program that was rolled out.

If I were treated the same way I'd start merely "meeting expectations". No use putting in extra work just to help fill someone else's pockets.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Gotta love staff that go MIA when they're supposed to be on call. splitting the on-call with a colleague but seriously gently caress that guy.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
On the flipside, We have Prosupport 4HR onsite and we do most part replacements ourselves because nobody has ever put in the effort to get the dell techs Datacenter access and a rack schema.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
You may find that you need Enterprise Admin group membership

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Got a server throwing SCSI Abort errors in the VMWare logs, but the RAID status is optimal, and no smart errors.
Guess it's time again to phone Dell's useless support

dissss posted:

I'd have thought that in most environments each user would have a CAL anyway which should cover the printer (and whatever else) too.

If you had something like a linux web server for instance you wouldn't be covered by any user cals I don't think.

I wonder if anyone has been hosed over on auditing for poo poo like this.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 12, 2015

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Be a sys admin they said. You'll make a ton of money they said.

It's challenging, to not kill yourself at least.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Nagios is the worst piece of poo poo I've ever used.

It's hella useful though.

I've been using Centreon for a few years now, it is basically a better web interface for nagios.
You configure everything through the web ui (or an API if you want to automatically add things eg post deploy) and it generates the nagios confs,

It's pretty sweet, I haven't had to touch a nagios conf in years!

theperminator fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 12, 2015

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

dennyk posted:

Honestly, I'll take the flexibility of a Nagios (or Nagios-like) back-end over an easier but more limited product, because you might be able to put together an off-the-shelf commercial monitoring setup in half the time, but then when you release it to the users and the flood of one-off custom check and configuration requests begins, you'll spend the next several months trying to force a less flexible product to meet all of your users' obscure demands. Hell, you can write a script to create a Nagios check for literally any quantifiable condition in like ten minutes, in whatever language you want.

Precisely why we continue to use Centreon/Nagios.
We have spent time looking for alternatives but nothing beats the amount of plugins, and we can just write our own if we want to.

If there are better alternatives I'd love to hear them, because I'd like a product that people who aren't linux admins can manage but I'm not sure we're going to find anything with the kind of flexibility we need.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

<STYLE="Four Yorkshiremen">
God, when I was in support, we had some 12 hour confcalls. I've fallen asleep on them. In fact, when I was moving over from support to engineering and implementation, I got to miss a 22 hour call by mere minutes due to timing.
</STYLE>

I find it funny when customers specifically say, "we don't want to pay for your services to run X" but then start throwing tickets at me "X doesnt work, fix it!"

"uh, no."

Sales: "If we help them for free now they will give us more money and buy more services for sure"
Sales somehow convinces manager that this is a good idea, even though the customers never do actually buy more

sfwarlock posted:

Update! Paraphrased slightly...

I'm still trying to figure out if I'd stick around to watch the trainwreck or quit.
Probably quit, but that's because working with a muppet like that would make me irrationally angry.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 28, 2015

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Simpleboo posted:

Anyone have experience creating and configuring a squid installation? Boss wants me to get one sorted and its frustrating me. Source code compiled for LDAP integration won't work and my googlefu is failing me.

What OS are you using that means you need to compile from source?

Anyway, here's a configuration guide for centos, but the config should be basically the same. you may need to substitute the correct path for "/usr/lib/squid/squid_ldap_auth"

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, if the DHCP server goes down and you somehow can't spin up a temporary replacement within 8 hours or whatever your lease time is, DHCP isn't the problem.

When has anyone ever had an issue with a DHCP server long enough for it to be a problem though? in 10 years I've seen one client have an issue with it and it was because they decommissioned their DHCP server by mistake.

Goddamn I'm glad I've never worked with people as moronic as some of you have had to deal with.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 11, 2015

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
That just reminded me of the issue that one client had, Windows' Default lease time for Wired is 8 Days

They didn't know anything was broken for a week. we were lucky they hadn't trashed their server.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

There's no reason we should be charging them so little for this.

Sales: if we give them x for a steal we'll totally get more business from them later!
*customer never increases spend*

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Venusy posted:

Found out why my supervisor wants to remove DHCP from our branches: the branches are not trusted to power in their own workstations. So each morning, a huge script - a mess of PowerShell, netsh, and regexes - runs to grab workstation names, IPs, and MACs from DHCP, output to CSV, then uses that to send the Wake-on-LAN magic packet. Same CSV is then used to turn them off at night.

I'm not seeing anything in the WOL part of the script that needs the IP address. I think a static CSV of names+MAC would work if anything needs to be static.

Eject!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Baxta posted:

6. Why, when the server starts randomly powering off, do they tell us the firmware is out of date and that can cause the server to shutdown for funsies?

Dell does this too, ever have any problem at all and they tell you to update every piece of firmware/drivers possible.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Baxta posted:

I still have some coprocessor device that isnt installed and is showing up in "Other devices"

Fujitsu haven't been able to tell me what this is.

Youd think that maybe if a particular firmware can cause shutdowns.... dont ship it with the system? Cockfaces. All of them.

Maybe an IPMI/BMC controller?

poo poo that pisses me off is always Dell.

Had a blade just turn itself off the other day, the only info it gives is "Power Management Firmware unresponsive"
The blade is out of warranty though and the boss is a tightarse.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Maniaman posted:

Did I mention our 4000 machines with static IPs get entered into a hosts file? Not DNS. A hosts file. That gets replicated once per day.
(granted there may be magical voodoo I know nothing about that imports that into our dns server)

I wish I were joking.

I don't think I could handle working in a place that has shonky poo poo like that going...

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Anyone tired of hearing me talk about how great working from home is?

"Company policy" if you work from home and are assertive enough, is anything you want to do. This, I love.

But how do you deal with the masturbation?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's practically no laptop models out there that actually support Thunderbolt in the first place though. It's mostly just Macs.

There's hardly any worthwhile peripherals becaus Intel are retards holding back the licensing of devices.
Without a peripheral market there's no point making computers with TB ports because the consumers have no want or need.

Intel are killing thunderbolt through incompetence.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Don't they also do suicide a lot in animus?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I deployed a 45 drives pod with 45 4TB Drives, 3x RAID 6 devices striped, with linux' md raid at my last job.
Probably not ideal... It was only used for long term backup storage.

Sorry future <workplace> sysadmins!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Which model pod did you have?

I had the pod 3.0 or 4.0 or whatever with the direct wire backplane, when i triggered a rebuild of one of the sets it was a day to rebuild but that was without writes going to the array at the same time.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Harry Lime posted:

Who in the gently caress gives "Domain Users" db_owner rights in SQL???

People don't think.

In my last job one of my clients had set a computer accounts primary group from "Domain computer" to "domain user" so they could make the computer account the DB owner... Took too long for me to figure out why it kept losing its domain trust...

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

ElZilcho posted:

Would maybe have been better to inform users and get then to ensure their master key is changed.

That's a good one!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Dell's website is such dogshit. Do they have 12 year-olds designing it or something?

There are literally no competent people at Dell.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

If you are buying separate certificates for subdomains: That's dumb as gently caress.

Because using one cert everywhere means using the same private key everywhere, gaining access to that key allows interception of traffic to all servers using that private key.

If it's a wildcard for like one server, with many sites then I don't know what the concern is.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

lol whoever runs your operation is a rube

Yeah, I worked for a company that did a bunch of poo poo for free with sales always saying "they have a potential to bring in millions!" Then they'd move to another company. The previous employer is circling the drain now, wonder why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
"This lovely OS phones home even when you tell it not to, *inserts hosts entries*" - The guys responsible for Jurassic Park security