Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's something very satisfying about hearing people sharing my hatred for auto-correct telling me I'm wrong for spelling "colour" the right way. Also I wish I was a rad animator person so I could do something with that Ikea segment from this week's podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hubris.height posted:

its hella weird that pat thinks "begins to cry like a little bitch when you leave the room" is a selling point on dogs

Not to mention some dogs will literally destroy your poo poo because they think you left forever when you stepped out for a few hours. Object permanence my rear end. That aside, cats vs. dogs is always a dumb debate because there will always be poo poo dogs and poo poo cats just as there will always be awesome dogs and awesome cats. If you dislike one or the other is probably just because you haven't been around the right dog/cat.

From last week's podcast, regarding the Reboot reboot - Pat (I think) was saying he was disappointed they ended the original on a cliffhanger with Daemon - or was wondering if the new series would touch on that. Woolie pointed out that they wrapped it up with a whole movie (which got divided into a season for tv play later) but I don't think he mentioned the part where they sort of ended on a whole nother cliffhanger of Megabyte being back, free, and being able to shapeshift and disguise himself as anyone.

Or did I forget something?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress yes Mechwarrior 2. The best and truest of mech games.

But goddammit I wish Woolie had know about the override shutdown key. If you're going to go all in, you might as well melt yourself down doing so.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The CAD is currently worth $0.78 USD because Canada is a petrol state and petrol is worth jack poo poo right now. It's what happens when your economy is dominated by a single commodity. It's especially bad since CAD was averaging $1.02 USD before oil's price crashed.

We've had an extra $10 or so tacked on to game prices for quite a while but it's getting worse. :rip::canada:

I know it's been bitched about on the podcast, but it's bullshit because when the dollar was strong, and in particular, stronger then the American dollar, nothing got cheaper. But you can bet your rear end stuff goes up when the dollar gets weak! (And then doesn't go back down when the dollar gets strong again)

I think I remember paying like 80$ after tax for Hyrule Warriors.

Steam switched over to Canadian dollar awhile back. I wasn't sure how to feel at the time because I figured it would mean they could follow retail price bumps and poo poo or charge us bullshit amounts like Australia.

Thankfully it doesn't seem too bad currently. I just got Hotline Miami 2 the other day and it's a bit cheaper then if I was to pay for it in USD.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

When Woolie got talking about the Reboot comic on the podcast I actually looked it up and paused the podcast to read it, less then halfway through I couldn't help but think "man the art isn't that good..." like the moment after I unpaused the podcast after I finished reading Woolie says "yeah but watch out the art isn't good."

Although Megabyte looks pretty rad in robes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A few pages late, but Pat kind of had a point about fire alarms, he was just too busy being Pat to make it well. False alarms ARE bullshit. I've been in the same spot where fire alarms were going off to frequently (once or twice a month for a few months) and it got the point where people just started ignoring them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glTnjGmjTcQ

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why is every loving character just like, constantly wiggling. There is no tit that goes unjiggled for a moment. This is like a level above fan-service.

Charles Martel posted:

I didn't just watch snailborne again at work.

"Annntiiii-clooockwiiise Metaaamorphaaasissss WHAAATT THE FUUUCK IS THAAAAAT?"

*rising picture of dumbfounded Woolie*

"Thaaat's a whoooole lotttaaa wooorrrrdddsss...."

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > Super Best Friends Play - THAT IS AN ............ ALLLIIIEEEENNNNN

I can't get snailborne out of my head. Everything is so fantastic about it.

"woooooooooooow"

"speed."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

You guys have a lets play or specific video you go back to and watch every couple of months? I like to watch through Rustlemania every now and then.

It's not SBF, but this Best of Giant Bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTatkYU8wJQ

I don't know why, but their reaction to beaning a virtual person in the face with a baseball kills me every time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tae posted:

Podcast curse AGAIN. They missed news that Platinum's showing a new game at E3. Also bloodstained gameplay.

Also, the ReBoot reboot got greenlit....granted they've talked about it in the past and its high potential to suck due to the new premise.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheRealestMatt posted:

Yeah, I've been pushing for a Sub-Zero LP. No one wants to do it.

Also, tonight is JP Genesis. And honestly, it's aged very, very poorly. Control is awful, level layouts are confusing, it's hard to see anything, and overall, it's not very fun. It's a shame, because it's one of the few Genesis 3rd party games I saw growing up that looked cool.

It was one of the few non-Sonic genesis games I had. Sucks that it's bad and it wasn't just that I was bad at it. I thought it was super cool how Grant and the Raptor had separate levels / level layouts. On the other hand, gently caress the river raft level as Grant.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Childhood validated: Matt and Pat are pro Raptor: Call of the Shadows.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can't remember who's video of Ride to Hell it was, but there was literally a duplicate of a character T-posing in the background of a cut-scene. It was a thing of beauty.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That was probably the one. The mark of a truly so-bad-its-good/entertaining game: multiple watches still prove funny.

Also, along with Freedom Planet, Shovel Knight and Life is Hella Strange are on Steam sale today.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 18, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Liam is on god-drat fire in the first Shattered Memories video.

"Trade your daughter for more time on the phone" and "If I stare at this long enough, will all the enemies look like him?" both loving ruined me. Any of their "Trade <x> for more time on the <y>" references crack me up way more than they should.

Is there an original source for that line? Or is it Zaibutsu-grown? It's one of my favorite gags, I always assume it's a reference to a fighting game or something.

TheRealestMatt posted:

<How to improve Nintendo's conference>

I thought the Fire Emblem trailer was kinda lame too, I don't think it told me anything new at all about that game and didn't show gameplay. The FExSMT or whatever that followed was even worse because I only knew what it was by process of elimination. I think it actively took away knowledge of that game.

Couldn't agree more about ending the show on a high note.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Watching the Korra playthrough from awhile back - I love how Liam, despite (apparently?) seeing all of ATLA and S1 of Korra forgot Lightning bending was totally a thing, saying it was just a technology thing. Meanwhile Woolie, who's seen nothing thinks if it were to be anything, it'd be a subset of firebending.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Isn't there some weird feature where you can touch the ladies? I heard the internet freaking out about something but I never went to investigate what it actually was and now I'm probably grossly misinformed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The problem truly is that it's not on vita so the rubbing feature can't make use of the back touch panel.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I would sacrifice terminator week on the altar of not having to hear pat talk about superman ever again

I would sacrifice superman for more time on the clock.

Pat continues to be totally right that superman is poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno, I kinda get where Woolie is coming from. I recall there being bookfairs, which would visit your school, and also order catalogue/forms you'd get periodically. Scam might be a strong word but it certainly had an air of siphoning money out of kids.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I remember some games in the catalogue back when I was in elementary. Granted it was mostly edutainment stuff. I regretfully made my parents buy some really lame/crappy math game that i barely ever played.

e: Also, I think there's a certain aspect of peer-pressure/kids not being smart with money aspect to the book fairs. I always remember feeling like I didn't want to leave with nothing / hated the times where I didn't get to bring money or was the one kid who didn't get some neat pencil, pencil topper eraser, etc.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 7, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

Hold on a minute...Jake, Vietnam, Ride to Hell...Jacob's Ladder...

It finally makes sense. Jake died in 'nam

quote:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wow you guys really Liam'd up this thread for a good solid page.

How come Her Story isn't tagged with a 'final'? It didn't sound like they were planning a bonus episode.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Sonic twitter also promoted Freedom Planet.

Which spawned this exchange in the SBF subreddit comments:

quote:

They're just preparing us for the announcement at TGS of Sonic the Hedgehog 5 being developed by GalaxyTrail.

But don't they have to finish Sonic 4 first?

They never finished Sonic Boom

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wow, holy poo poo the backlash on the Her Story LP is loving insane. The comments section is a complete trainwreck, but I can't stop looking at it. I wonder if these people feel the same hatred towards visual novels.

I really don't get it. I thought the play-through was legitimately interesting and entertaining, and I'm not really interested in visual novel sort of stuff. Like, to me it's a huge bonus to see people LP stuff I would have never played.

I suppose people would have rathered videos of Matt and Woolie making GBS threads on it or something because it fits there preconceived notion that the game can only be bad or something? :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ApeHawk posted:

Basically, if the game was named "His Story" and it was all men characters and stuff, the game wouldn't be getting flak.

Maybe half as much considering the hatred for "walking simulators" and pure narrative games.

Stairmaster posted:

Oh did they finally stop playing bloodborne

Quite awhile ago actually. Gamegrumps, who started a less-blind playthrough around the same time is apparently still going, granted they do 10-15 minute episodes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

Korra, Life is Strange, and Freedom Planet all both got poo poo on when they first showed up. Korra because apparently it wasn't an amazing Platinum game. Life is Strange because apparently it's tumblrbait. Freedom Planet because furries. People came around on Korra and Freedom Planet, but drat if people don't relentlessly poo poo on Life is Strange.

But none of those things were hated on because of the female protagonists (I think), in a sense that holds to the point Beep was making. The backlash was for all the other reasons people get butthurt about things. Life is Strange is also a a walking simulator game, but again, gently caress the haters, it's kind of interesting and I'm totally enjoying watching someone else play through it.

Not denying people probably are being butthurt over Her Story being female-centric, just pointing out that it's not the only reason.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm in the same boat. For me Her Story is way more interesting to see LP'ed than to actually play myself. And I was really hype for Freedom Planet, but then after watching the videos (while I enjoyed them), I don't really feel I want to play the game myself. If I have a few extra bucks lying about I'll totally kick the devs some money, but it will probably stay uninstalled and unplayed in my Steam library for ages. :smith:

I felt this way initially but picked it up and just played as the other character and had a lot of fun!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Choice quote being "I know how to drift in these kind of games" not even 5 seconds before eating poo poo and piling into a wall.

Wasn't the context for that pretty much that he can't figure it out in Driveclub (that is, the normal technique to drift in racing sims doesnt' seem to work for Driveclub)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nah, it's not news because it's just the South-East Asia version that's already been english but was blocking IPs, just with less IP blocking now. Pretty sure they've established that one as not counting in the past.

Doesn't help it's way behind the JPN version in features/contnet.

Like, it has to be a -release- in NA, iirc.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tae posted:

I also can't tell if Matt was serious about distracting dinosaurs, because players at that level react to anything, including whiffs and fake fireball motions.

Isn't there that whole thing of fighting games of not making up excuses why you lost? "no johns"? "The dinosaur distracted me" seems about as john as "the sun was in my loving eyes" (which is usually one of the examples I see for explaining "no johns")

I kinda get both sides of the argument though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Holy poo poo that story about pat ordering/having a box of Fatal Fury hats was real

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can't see that company name without thinking of this dumb/hilarious thing someone made:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Pokken would be way better if it was just dumb lovely fightning pokemon no-one cares about"

e: Okay, but yeah, the lack of Hitmonlee/chan/top is kinda dumb.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

When Metal Gear Solid wasn't another 2D game, did you say the same thing?

A series changing mechanics isn't a bad thing. Now, if they hinted at or advertised it as a platformer, that's a bad thing, but shouldn't be held against the game itself.

Its kinda of the same thing with C&C Generals. It's a fun RTS, but it was poorly received because it deviated from the C&C theme and mechanics pretty heavily the the point it might as well not have been called C&C.

Like why did Nuts and Bolts need to be a Banjo game? It's not like Rare couldn't have just come up with another wacky cartoon world with googly eyes on everything. Conker might have even made more sense. It's literally just dangling the IP to push sales.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Kins posted:

The other would masquerade as a HD remake of the first game, except each level would freak the gently caress out and take a weird turn (like the termites in the first world taking over the place entirely) halfway through. I don't remember why that was scrapped.

That sounds kind of awesome. I wish I could remember what game I played that did something a little like this. Defying (well-established) expectations can be one of the most awesome things in games.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It looks like you pay 3$ to use that entire site, which seems like a sort of netflix but for "indie" creators?

The site isn't owned by machinima either. I think.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

They may not own the site but they've sure slapped their big loving logo over all the best friends stuff they could.

Yeah, that seems weird and kinda gross? Although I've never been too clear on how SBF works with machinma - I thought the stuff they put on their own channel was separate/their own, and what they produced for machinma...was well for machinma.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Haven't gotten to the Retro VGS part of the podcast, but this had my eyes rolling.

No patches and system updates! Because I totally trust that games made by the indies that they'll be able to goad into make games for them will be perfect, because not even NES and Genesis games ever had revision versions.

Wii U's boot time is not exactly a travesty that makes me pine for ye old days of cartridge games.

They say that they know a console is only as good as it's games...yet do nothing to really sell me that this won't just be another Ouya with a bunch of whatever games that will just be ported to another system because the dev actually wants to make money.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

I totally want to play $300 for a a console than only has new "retro" games that cost between $30-$60 that can't be patched and are available for much cheaper on other platforms.

The low price of 100$ cheaper then a console that will play "retro" games and new ones alike.

Also I wasn't aware discs were fragile media.

E: Also, Pat got the WoW character boost thing wrong. There is one that comes free with the expansion (and there will be another with the next), it's just that you can buy more separately.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, but you only get those by paying extra for the special editions, so you're still pretty much paying for a character boost.

No? Both the base and collectors edition of Warlords come with the character boost. Now, the expansion did cost 10$ more then previous, but that's just keeping pace with other games. There's literally no option to get the expansion without the free boost.