Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W424
Oct 21, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

The G707 is awesome as hell and the only acceptable guitar synthesizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Here's my guitars for your consideration. Sadly my first guitar is missing, it's in the basement or something, a repainted and burned strat.

From the left:
Ibanez rga121, my newest and best baby. Got it for writing a new album and stuff, band imploded and now im doing electro industrial.

Ibanez rg 550ltd something. The RGs are called the Toyota Corollas of metal here, everyone starts out with one. From the late nineties bought used from a dude who's band got pretty big later on. Sold a loving SG for this and have hated floyd roses ever since. Now the trem is properly blocked, earlier I used a 9v battery.

Gibson SG faded 08. Always liked SGs, played most of the last tour with this and second fave to play.

LTD vb300 27" baritone. Got it because we played in drop B, like the scale but I think the monged SG shape sucks poo poo rear end. Got damaged on a gig (I threw it and there was an unexpeted concrete block on the stage) so I put some instant rust on it. Fugly.

BC Rich Bitch 30" baritone. Its a BC Rich so it's ugly, but it tunes to E an octave down. And it cost like 200€ because nobody wanted to buy one. Used it a lot on a post rock type of project.

Because I played brutel metalz, the rga,sg and rich have Bare Knuckle pickups in the bridge (2 warpigs and an Aftermath) and some random stuff on necks.

And check out that carpet, got it for free today.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

a kitten posted:

kmfdm sucks

W424
Oct 21, 2010

killhamster posted:

I think that's a GK synth pickup, so it's not quite as terrible, but yecchh :gonk:

Have you ever tried to use one? Ugh.

Edit. I also have owned this at somepoint:
http://www.matrixsynth.com/2011/08/yamaha-g10-guitar-midi-synth.html
Tracks better than the GK setup but it's made of plastic and uses only 9s or someting for all the strings. Plays like a futuristic banjo.

W424 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 14, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

a kitten posted:

smdh at people hatin on Albini

i assume his tone is only enhanced by wrapping the strap around his waist like a freak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qh6zUFvEE0

that and the blood
all the blood probably helps his tone too.

90's alternative/noise rock has to be the most boring poo poo in the universe.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

HollisBrown posted:

Because they look kinda cool to some people, but they are completely useless and only serve to make tuning a nightmare.

So, much like a Floyd Rose and it's hellspawn?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Harry in Rio posted:

that baby is all mine, you jelly?

At first I was like "lol valvestate" but then I was like "wait a minute, a CD input?"

So, am jelly.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Klas posted:

So you had a Floyd Rose or similar? Correctly setup they never ever go out of tune no matter how much you dive bomb or whatever. That's sort of the whole point with those.

Well, I have an Ibanez with a lopro edge (supposedly high end Floyd Rose clone) and that poo poo just would not be in tune no matter how many springs etc with heavier strings. I tried everything for a few years untill I blocked it. I put a Tremol-no in it a few years ago and it was still a piece of poo poo without everything locked down.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Bufonide posted:

A black metal punk band invited you for an audition?

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Check out my beautiful new guitar!

I dug it out of storage and slapped in some new parts and gave it a setup.
-The body is from my first guitar from -96, a Falcon strat copy. Been burned among other things, all other original parts destroyed.
-The neck and pickguard are from another strat copy that I bought drunk off a dude in early 2000, the neck has been hand sawed to fit (check that neck joint/pickguard combo)
-Pickups are Dimarzio AT-1 and Fender classic 60's (or something) on middle and neck, all bought second hand.
-New tuners and electronics.
-It plays just fine, no dead notes or anything.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

comes along bort posted:

the lower bout on their superstrat models is slightly angled outward and it's annoying when you notice it like shannon doherty's droopy eye

Motherfucker I've owned an RG for 15 years and noticed this just now.

(not mine)

W424
Oct 21, 2010

strangemusic posted:

In a similar vein: the Model 42 Rackmount Vaporizer.

I would actually buy this, if not for the fact that a heating element in crowded 19in racks sounds like a bad idea, as most rack gear generates a fair bit of heat to begin with and the cooler you run, generally the better it is for the life span of the gear.

Buy a bigger rack and put spacers around it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Chrpno posted:

My god, 80's keyboards(in particular the DX7) have ruined and dated many a good performance. Check out some mid 80's Bonnie Raitt or Stevie Ray to see what I mean...

FM rules, what is dated about it is 99% of retards using the presets because they never learned to program it.

Edit. Here's one ugly FM synth from the eighties

I just got one but it's bricked. I may have to set it on fire or something.

W424 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 23, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

yeah you might as well complain about all guitarists because some people use lovely tones

Well the dx7 is kinda famous for being "difficult" to program, most units sent for repairs had factory patches intact etc. And the presets are mostly lovely imitations of "real" instruments, such as a loving tuba.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Jedrick posted:

80's synth chat:

I have one of these and it's the most gloriously 80's thing ever.

Slow as poo poo envelopes, even with the mexx (or someshit) multitimbral/performance boost board. Really lame pcm sample mangling, the ringmod is just on/off. Terrible ui without the programmer or a computer.2/10 would maybe drunkenly fondle at a party.

Edit. Slightly nostalgic atm, play a beautiful song on yours.

W424 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 23, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What synth doesn't have knobs to twiddle, though?

If there's no knobs, it's automatically a piece of poo poo that you don't want to be playing.

Wrong

W424
Oct 21, 2010

tacodaemon posted:

All those synths that have buttons instead of knobs look like they'd be about as tedious to program as an '80s VCR

Typically with a computer editor, sysex/cc box, ipad etc. Editing from the frontpanel is total bullshit.

W424 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 24, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

strangemusic posted:

Here are some people who agree: it's an EQ with no panel controls, software/plugin only.

Two versions of Microwave 2/xt

edit. stick around till 1:08 to hear the sound dudes been looking for over 23 years, people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud5cia_s2ZA

W424 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 24, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

strangemusic posted:

SERIOUSLY a synth that fits in an optical bay??

Well poo poo. Now I need like ten of them and a Thermaltake case.

It also needs the included ISA soundcard, good luck with that.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Fax Sender posted:

is the epiphone valve jr good

I don't know because I haven't used mine about never, but just realized I've had one since they started making them. There's better be a market for mint VINTAGE valve jr's so I'd finally get something out of it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

My old guitar was probably the nicest guitar I've ever played, an rga121, and I got it in pristine condition for £400.

Same, paid like 400€.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Aoi-chan posted:

Er, perhaps to the average Miku fan? I dunno, they're totally ignoring the M1 synth for DS and 3DS.

Everything M1 should be ignored and purged from this earth.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Aoi-chan posted:

But... 90s dance music..!!??

That loving house piano.

Fax Sender posted:

iirc when i opened my old yamaha drum machine there was a big korg branded chip in it. yamaha used to own the majority of korg

I had a Korg 707, it's a 4op Yamaha FM synth on the inside.

W424 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 6, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Aoi-chan posted:

Guitar + MIDI = might as well just play Rock Band.

The midi stuff I've tried was more like guitar+midi=spend aeons editing the piece of poo poo because of the latency and tracking sucks and/or end up playing the track on keyboard.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Quickscope420dad posted:

think they'll recognize speedcore as a religion?

"sorry, i won't be in to work tomorrow, it's stapletapewurmsonmypenis day in the church of Passenger of poo poo" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5KJM4XCLSQ

gently caress a speedcore, have some extratone:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SeQ4hKr1IZI

Edit. Fucka extratone, have some black midi:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-VzmF3KhVWw

W424 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 7, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

gently caress Your Website posted:

Music is bad and people who make music should feel bad.

I need drugs to cope with the pain.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Still needs a bit of cleaning up around the edges, but...

Picture doesn't show it, but this stuff sparkles like crazy, I think the proper name is chameleon finish? It's a bit like a foil sticker I guess.

Comic sans? I applaud your excellent taste.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Gibsons a cool company http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gibson-Guitar-Reviews-E6869.htm
Maybe gonna scrape Gibson off the headstock and put a Epiphone decal on to lessen the shame on my sg.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Quickscope420dad posted:

yeah the problem is a "new classic shape" looks like this:

Who the gently caress uses Reason?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

Logic is better than both of those for both applications hth

Logic better than Cubase? Woah.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Concatenation posted:

have you ever been disappointed at your mid-level RG's inability to make stupid noises, or felt that it had too much wood in the body, or thought that it needed some mediocre built-in distortion well don't worry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW3ITodF6u0

Or you could just buy the kaos pad for 71€ and velcro it on if you absolutely must look like a retard.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

This thing also has iphone dock IIRC

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ElectricHeir posted:

Guitarists like tube amps right? Carve out another chunk of wood and mount a vacuum tube like that one korg piano has. It doesn't even have to light up or anything, it just adds tone.

the Behringer tone.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Ahh, the BC Rich "testes" headstock.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

lol dude grunge has more feel than any shredder has ever felt in their life

I don't know about the feels but it should be pointed out that grunge is the worst poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

actually steve vai et al is the worst poo poo imo forever listen to punk

The great thing about punk is that for ~40 years they've stuck to the same look/uniform so you can immediately go "gently caress no".

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

lol why would you go gently caress no to punk/hardcore unless you are a boring grandpa

Because it's loving boring rock music for grandpas.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sleepflower posted:

If we wanna talk SG-like things, and ugly guitars, this is one of my favourite looking guitars:

That pickguard is atrocious.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

why are there only two octaves on those

Obvioulsy you need all three, both hands and the dude looks so happy because he finally found a use for his penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

As a person who grew up in the 80s and 90s I am sad you young people are reduced to listening to the good music I listened to 20 years ago.

My hometown seems to be travelling backwards in time, all the kids play retro metal/punk/rock.
I started in mid nineties and we were laughing at the "old dudes" in denim vests playing 80's metal back then. Now it's all about the denim vests with patches from bands their dad's might have listened.

• Locked thread