Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My doctor atm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAx1_CsJc1k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If nothing else I like Emmie because I know when her name pops up as someone escaping raiders I know to ignore the call so I don't get a worthless colonists who can't fight or do research.

You're either gunning or researching advance methods to gun to earn your keep in colony dongs :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

would only buy our smokeleaf and simple meals.

Living in an extremely poor town, I can assure you this is completely realistic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DontMindMe posted:

Just picked this up and did the tutorial. Anything I should know/do before I dive into first actual run?

Cannibalism/pyscho are broken traits, reroll/harvest the organs of and euthanize anyone who is incapable of violence (especially Emmie)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What mods are you guys running that makes your colonists never go to their bedroom? Even with a social gathering area complete with a table, chairs, chess table, TVs and horse shoe pins my guys still love heading into their room to meditate or pray and bitch that their rooms are poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Caconym posted:

Bahaha, yes!
Trading muffalo had a heart attack inside my walls.
I got my alpaca wool clothes back to sell all over again, and some shells and waepons to boot.
I love this game.

E: (Also, happy I saw that before those shells deteriorated and made a mess.)

I had an alpaca get self tamed and decided to slaughter it cause I don't want to deal with feeding it, just then a trader caravan came in. I decided to sell the alpaca but funnily enough my colonists still walked up and slaughtered it, and apparently right after buying it the traders threw a bunch of goods onto the alpaca that I got for free.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shirec posted:

I had a very mature colony and one of my pawns was constantly hitting on married ladies, and then another survivor joined with the same problem. Even after installing a drugged rib, they were both getting constant near major break downs. So I popped on developer mode, changed them to bisexual and added them as being in a relationship together. One problem solved cause gently caress that noise. My number of breakdowns dropped immensely.

The mood drops because of romance is absolutely insane. They never learn their lesson, never stop and the effect loving stacks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So if he can make females bisexual outside of the trait system why can't he make sexuality as a whole work off that system instead of blowing limited trait slots on whether or not pawns prefer the d?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does that mean I can finally have Emmie :frogout:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are the sexy young lesbians still the biggest cause of colony collapses in the new patch?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God I hope they don't add children because I hate children I deal with enough of them at work I don't want to deal with another mouth to feed that'll be worthless in contributing to the colony. It'd be like Emmie but more of her, except they'll even do less then her incompetent rear end.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Beef Hardcheese posted:

But it's so much more efficient to just drop raw meat in a pile on the floor, walk over it to get to the stove, then drop the finished meal in a pile on the floor. :saddowns:

I mean it works for me irl, and if nothing else Tynan and his weird rear end name has shown he is up for putting dumb mechanics in game for the sake of reality.

I'm of course talking about leaving in the "Went to bandage a toe, ended up cutting out the spine" because uh, apparently that happened in medieval times? Which means it should happen in a space age technology setting?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Elth posted:

Do different operations have different chances and severity of failure or does tynan really think that sticking a peg leg on a stump is just as difficult as giving someone a brain implant?

I wasn't kidding when I said Tynan left in failures like that because it happened in medieval times. He legit thinks that since some hicks who thought attaching leeches to your cock made you more virile would do things like that during 1100 AD that a space faring civilization should have the same medical understanding.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's understandable if the surgeon is completely untrained. Surgery is loving hard, and you need to know where the arteries are to not murder your patients constantly. But above 15 skill or so your pawn should be a better surgeon than most that exist today.

I get failing surgery, but some things they fail at is just too much. I went to stitch this guy's leg and ended up slicing off his ear. I'm not surgeon but even I, some random retail worker, could probably successfully stitch up a guy or at the very least not slice the man's ear off.

And speaking of doctors, my current game's doctor is a man named Giggles who was a traumatic child and a mental patient. For some reason this makes him have the highest medical abilities, I mean this guy has mental issues so at least then I guess I can accept him slicing off a man's dick when trying to bandage a pinky.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

blood, unsurprisingly, is FILTHY, but as long as it's kept in the abattoir it bothers nobody.

I bet these colonists eat their steak well done

With ketchup.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Randy is my boy. Sure sometimes he turns into Randy Ravage and will give all your colonists the plague but not having your "reward" for thwarting raids be "OK increase the size by 25% next time" is more then worth it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
E: How did this double post happen :psyduck:

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 6, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

I swear there is some kind of bug where traders don't show up for years

Yeah there is just some... thing going on that makes traders rarely if ever actually show up. My last colony just flat out had zero traders for the year it lasted. I guess now you can make caravans to get around that but jeeze. Consider how rare space traders could be and it almost feels like NPCs coming to you for trade is bugged in some way.

E: Maybe it too was just a hacked together job like the romance system and Tynan used UPS tracking data and averaged out that most people in some random city only got 1 package (from UPS) and put it in the game that traders only happen once.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 6, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Is smokeleaf addiction bad? Can't they just smoke a joint every day or two to be cool with it?

I'm sure it runs off video game addiction, IE you want your fix so much you literally cannot go a minute without going into a debilitating withdrawal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh wow, I had my first rescuee actually join my colony after I rescued them. I was actually just trying to get my doctor some experience that wouldn't be too bad if he ended up slicing out their spine trying to bandage their arm.

E: Was checking out different mods and the psychology one looked promising... until I saw this

Individuality: Pawns don't like looking the same as everybody else. They will get a gradually worsening mood penalty depending on how many other colony members are wearing the exact same outfit.

Why did they think this was a good thing to have, did Tynan make this mod :eng99:

Leal fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 12, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It was a known bug in a previous version of a mod that's since been fixed. You just triggered the event and saved your game before the fix rolled out.

Don't rely so heavily on outfitting everyone in exactly the same clothes, scrub

They will all be wearing cotton hats and they will loving like it :mad:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They can all wear cotton hats as long as they're not the same color and they're not also all wearing the same color alpaca wool jacket, the same color devilstrand button-down shirt, and the same color beaverskin pants.

They'll also enjoy their human leather tshirts and pants, less they become next year's model.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also what is the combat like in the medieval times mod?

I'm actually running medieval now with a primitive start and uh.. I'm a touch worried about actually using the majority of the weaponry in the game. Namely the melee stuff, melee is way too over lethal to make me want to do anything other then use ranged weapons.

E: A squirrel scratched my colonist's finger and now he has ebola and the plague also swine flu from being infected. Also the doctor chopped off his left arm trying to bandage it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 13, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If nothing else, get prepare carefully, sit and reroll your starting pawns and when you find the ones you want use prepare carefully to save them. Bam, you technically are using pawns that are completely kosher in the confines of the game just without the tedium of spending half an hour smacking the reroll button.

E: Not having to deal with "wow this pawn has some awesome skills and interests too bad they're a depressed pessimistic pyromaniac" or "same but they have every single age related injury possible" is worth it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 15, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

Sounds like they wanted to be the best doctor around.

Well yeah I mean, you would only have the best doctor do all the important stuff right? Well if you chop off the head of the best doctor you're now the best doctor

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

drat a highlander mod would rock. You get 1 colonist and gain skills by chopping off the heads of other pawns.

E: Or hell, no need for restricting to 1 colonist. Fed up with the conundrum of "I can't tame animals cause no one has animals 4, they can't get animals 4 cause they can't tame animals"? Have them chop off the head of some invader with animals skill.

Leal fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 21, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SirViver posted:

/\ One thing I do find annoying about his mods though is that he puts these "funny" mini-fanfiction stories in front of the actual description of what his mod does, making the Steam Workshop preview/hover blurb absolutely useless <:mad:>

Yeah I skipped over pretty much all of their stuff because mousing over the mods gives me 5 sentences to the start of some wacky story that makes my eyes glaze over. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't

First sentence

Second sentence

Third

Etc

So even if you do go to the mod page you still have to scroll through his entire story to finally see what the drat mod does.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817231829

By the guy who sticks these big useless stories before mod descriptions so alt-text is entirely worthless.

This story is 2 and a half page downs. What the gently caress man, bible verses aren't this verbose.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a dummy's guide to the cthulhu mod? There is a surprising lack of information available on both the steam workshop and the forums.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also is there any mod that makes plague and malaria not a "gently caress you this person dies" unfun mechanic for tribals that isn't just turning them off?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

if you are unlucky enough to get nailed with malaria or plague in your first 4 months then yeah that is pretty bad, but beyond that it is eminently doable to navigate that particular problem with no deaths.

Yeah this is the issue, my boy randy decided he is going to be randy ravage and has consistently smacked my colonies with plague in the first 2 weeks. When I rage restarted and did a scenario edit to disable plague he went for malaria instead. Thats not even enough time to grow any herbal medicine to treat more then 1 person, and he either goes in pairs or targets the village witch doctor.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Or maybe make a second base that's just an operating theatre on an adjacent map? Two people leave, sometimes one comes back?

Doesn't the game give all your colonists the organ harvest debuff regardless of if its in the same colony? I want to assume its because multiple colonies is pre-alpha but I wouldn't put it past Tynan to use it as a balancing thing so players can't have one psycho live one tile away that harvests and butchers people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Salean posted:

Is there a way to add more factions to a game in progress? I installed the more vanilla factions mod but it doesn't seem to work on an active game

I believe there is a faction discovery mod that will pop them into your game when you load it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Humans are easy because they try to be smart and end up splitting up or getting confused, changing targets, and retreat after some losses.

This led to a funny raider death in my current game, we're just a bunch of tribals and 3 raiders appeared. One decided to run all around my base to attack a wall, right where ~12 traders were hanging out at. Also this is with the c'thulhu mod so the traders were wearing bowler hats and wielding canes, the image of 12 gentlemen going to town on a single guy with canes amuses me.

Also this game is weird when it comes to things breaking down, the game demands components to fix the item even if the item didn't have components in it in the first place. Why do I need components to fix my fuel stove? Why do I need components to fix my grinding wheel

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man gently caress chemical fascination/interest, quit randomly binging and do some loving work you shits. 3 of my 5 colonists have chemical interest and its annoying that they'll "binge" the last 2 cigars then just wander the rest of the day. And they always go berserk if I arrest them :argh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Threw every bit of vice we had on the visiting traders, even if they only had 40 silver to their name. This is a clean colony now

Slung Blade posted:

Then they'll just brew it in the tub or the back of the crematoria, there's no stopping the drug trade.

Yeah I'm waiting for tynan to implement bootlegging cause we can't let the player do anything to get around any in game annoyances.

Also I just had a trade caravan come in and bit by bit all but one plus the animals died :psyduck:

E: Wait I found the problem, they're all starving. Livestock too now. E2: Well I guess they got hungry, went berserk and infighting happened. Now the single "survivor" is slowly starving.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 15, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Even my longest "I'm building a pretty and long term town" rarely go 15+ years, so kids are probably not worth it.

Yeah, unless you're someone who knows the ins and outs to actually make a colony last long enough past Tynan's "You're supposed to leave the planet stop trying to stay in one place HERE HAVE PLAGUE SOLAR FLARE AND A HEATWAVE" vision I don't think most people will see those children turn 3. He'd be putting work in putting something completely worthless in the game. Then again it would be an annoyance to the player so maybe he'll put it in after all.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Get the realistic rooms mod so colonists aren't demanding a palace for every building for a minuscule mood boost.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Had 2 raids thrown on me at once, the first raid was just a single guy and I almost felt insulted. Then the second one arrived with 5 guys. I get read to take out the single guy when I see 2 guys from the other group broke off to attack that same direction, and this single man who only had a hammer on him proceeded to murder the other guys no sweat, which were the only 2 of 3 who had ranged weapons. I captured him, I *almost* want to keep him just for that bit of badassery but you know... C'thulhu is feeling particularly hungry for souls, and the kibble is running a touch low...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
"im not a hauler! im not a haler!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into an onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

I think the Psychology Mod has jumped the shark for me since the social traits and election update. I'm now on two colonies where after about a year or two everyone hates each other because of how many traits there are and how few combinations result in positive conversations, and my major and at least one colonist are constantly in meetings yelling at each other. It was fun at first but now it's just a pain in the rear end to have my colonists beating the poo poo out of each other regularly.

Are there any other social mods out there that don't make your pawns such powder kegs the moment someone insults glitterworld fashion trends?

That happens a lot in vanilla for me too, for some reason colonists just never have anything nice to say to one another, ever. It made me wonder if using the sacrifice to give a colonist psychopath would be a downside since they can't get social mood boosts, then I learned that they don't ever loving play nice and I never get those boosts anyways. Psychopathy for everyone!