Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Conversation in the pub about Californium Astatine (CfAt2, using 211At, 252Cf) as a possible "what's the most batshit compound we can come up with" (no, it's probablynot possible, but fun to think about). I needed a refresher in just what astatine entails.

Per wiki:

quote:

All of its isotopes are short-lived; the most stable is astatine-210, with a half-life of 8.1 hours.

Elemental astatine has never been viewed, because a mass large enough to be seen would be immediately vaporized by the heat generated by its own radioactivity.

In total, only five isotopes have half-lives exceeding one hour (those with mass numbers between 207 and 211). The least stable ground state isotope is astatine-213, with a half-life of 125 nanoseconds.

Okay, that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

I saw a mention of dioxygen chlorine trifluoride in that article's comments. That sounds like the most unholy molecule in existence that will kill you in any number of terrible ways just for looking at it wrong. We've already got a molecule that is evidence there is no such thing as a kind and loving god, let's cram some extra oxygens on the ends of it and see what happens :stonklol:

One of my favourites from TIWWW is the updates from Klapötke, like the merely (hah) ridiculously explosive C2N14.

Yup. Fourteen loving nitrogen atoms in a single molecule, with a couple of carbons acting like nightclub bouncers between two armoured divisions.

It explodes if you so much as look at it funny. As in, "The sensitivity of C2N14 is beyond our capabilities of measurement. The smallest possible loadings in shock and friction tests led to explosive decomposition." It explodes if you try to get an infrared spectrum of it. Naturally, as eating a tube of Pringles on the next planet over will cause it to go "boom", its main use is in the field of getting rid of spectrometers you didn't like anyway.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

No, but it may be inspired by the story they're actually talking about, which is in Ignition:

No "may be" about it, Charlie's a big fan of Ignition, and of the kind of chemistry that amuses this thread in general.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Chemistry is really very simple. It works like this:

1) Tell chemists they can't possibly synthesize some structure.
2) A chemist will find a way to make it. The crazier the compound sounds, the harder they will try.

That chemist's successor publishes the results posthumously.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

"Things That Suddenly Want To Turn Back Into Elemental Nitrogen"

"What are the most exciting things to watch someone else synthesize from a safe distance?"

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Not strictly dangerous, but one of the best chemistry papers I've read for a while: A Simple and Convenient Synthesis of Pseudoephedrine From N-Methylamphetamine

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

Opium doesn't really make the symptoms go away though. They're there but you just stop giving a gently caress.

No, it's an actual cough suppressant, and it does indeed stop diarrhoea. You also stop giving a gently caress, but that doesn't mean it doesn't fix the symptoms.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

"And one more nitrogen..."

"This reaction's mostly useful if you've got a molecular printer that you don't want any more."

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Psst. The old adage "give chemists a challenge and they'll try to make it" is true once again.

General article about N60
Theoretical research article, not freely accessible

The abstract of the latter says that the reaction N60 --> 30 N2 releases 1622.9 kcal/mol. That's 6790.2 KJ/mol.
According to the former article, the explosive energy of N60 would be 50% more of that of CL-20, that's hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, which was featured on Things I Won't Work With (see OP) as 'that thing that gets less explosive by mixing it with TNT'
:froggonk:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not acknowledging its existence may anger it as well. You really can't win with these things, but those drat Germans seem to love to play anyways.

I'm actually getting slightly scared that just typing hexadecanitrofullerene now may cause enough residual vibration at the time when those [del]idiots[/del] fine experimental minds at Klapötke create a molecule that it spontaneously detonates.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kinetica posted:

You know, I would be quite happy and interested in watching any of the hexanitro or other nitrogen hell compounds be made and tested. -Via webcam on Mars.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hard to open the conference room door when you're missing your arms.

Any excuse to link Derek Lowe on hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane:

I'd call for all the chemists who've ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I don't have access to the full paper, but would this be any help in figuring a potential detonation velocity for N60?

It isn't what you do with it, it's how quick it's done that counts.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The brass apparently kiboshed the proposal for cyanide-based fuel.

And yet they were fine with testing FOOF as an accelerant.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

What's the V8 for then you ask? That's the oxidizer pump for the rocket.

WITNESS ME! :black101:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo's crazy up in this joint.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Stagger a poo poo-ton of probes so they'll be at a distance from one another that allows them to relay the data back in a timely fashion. :science:

Ah, the Vint Cerf method.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

A while back we were talking about octanitrocubane and other fun explosives and I swear someone mentioned one with a detonation velocity greater than earth's escape velocity but I can't find it.

Octanitrocubane has the highest detonation velocity, 10.1km/s; escape velocity is 11.2km/s.

I think that was when we were trying to work out the detonation velocity of hexadecanitrofullerene. And cackling madly.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Luneshot posted:

I'm not a chemist- is there some layman's explanation somewhere about nitrogen groups and why they're so explosive? A lot of you react to these names with utmost horror but I don't know what they mean.

Nitrogen atoms really want to be in N2 molecules --- that molecule has a triple bond, meaning it takes a lot of energy to break apart, and thus, it releases a lot of energy when it forms. Most explosive compounds have many nitrogen atoms in a larger structure, so they've got weaker bonds to the surrounding atoms. Add in the energy needed to weaken those bonds (the activation energy), and all of a sudden the nitrogen atoms' desire to be in a low-energy state overrides the existing bonds. They snap back to N2, releasing a lot of energy and generally going from a dense-ish solid to an expanding cloud of gas, both things that we give a poo poo about as people interested in the kind of chemistry that requires running shoes.

The trick with nitrogen-based explosives isn't getting them to go bang, it's getting them to a state where the activation energy is high enough that they don't go bang when someone decides to open a bag of Doritos in the next building.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Someone just linked me to a very interesting paper. It coined the term "buckybombs".

quote:

Abstract. Energetic materials, such as explosives, propellants and pyrotechnics, are widely used in civilian and military applications. Nanoscale explosives represent a special group because of high density of energetic covalent bonds. The reactive molecular dynamics study of nitro-fullerene decomposition reported here provides, for the first time, a detailed chemical mechanism of explosion of a nanoscale carbon material. Upon initial heating, C60(NO2)12 disintegrates, increasing temperature and pressure by thousands of Kelvins and bars within tens of picoseconds. The explosion starts with NO2 group isomerization into C-O-N-O, followed by emission of NO molecules and formation of CO groups on the buckyball surface. NO oxidizes into NO2, and C60 falls apart liberating CO2. At highest temperatures, CO2 gives rise to diatomic carbon. The study shows that the initiation temperature and released energy depend strongly on the chemical composition and density of the material. The established explosion mechanism provides guidelines for control of combustion and detonation on the nanoscale.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Hexadecamatryoshkanitrofullerine?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Hexecontaazabuckminsterfullerene is the full 60.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Reminds me of cleaning out our equipment store at work. Our ancient computer graveyard is also the electronics hardware lab store room. So in addition to our junk, it's got lots of fun things like half-etched circuit boards. One day, we were having a clear-out and cracked open a cupboard that hadn't been opened in about ten years. At the back of a shelf was an old sealed jar. The contents looked a bit shiny, so we took it out. Fucker was heavy, and the contents sloshed against the side and went 'clunk.'

We look at one another, and my coworker gets to make the call.

"Hi, yeah, this is XXXX in the School of Engineering. We've just found some mercury."
"No, a bit more than a couple of old thermometers."
"About a pint."

Cue the guys in hazmat suits turning up and whisking it away. Since we're a university in the UK and we have lots of interesting chemicals to dispose of, it turns out it's cheaper for us to get a license as a hazardous chemical disposal facility than it is to hire the appropriate certified transportation each time, so somewhere under one of the Chemistry buildings is a room full of Cool poo poo™. One day, I shall find it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I mentioned this on Twitter and someone pointed out a paper written way back in 1999:

The Effects of Moore's Law and Slacking on Large Computations

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

the thing I've found that works best for cleaning electronics at work is an old bottle I pulled out of our "chemicals people have dropped off as e-waste over the years" shelf from Fisher Scientific labeled "100% 2-Propanol" and it'll strip gross degraded soft-touch coatings off of 90s cameras but hoo boy are the fumes potent

"2-Propanol" is just another term for isopropyl alcohol. We use it as keyboard/whiteboard cleaner, don't think it really belongs in this thread.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

IGNITION is being reprinted!!!!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Syd Midnight posted:

"For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes." - Ignition 6:3

I hadn't thought to do it before, but treating Ignition! as the holy text of this thread is very suitable.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

:perfect:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Planck time is just a 1.0×10-64th note.

Good luck writing a note with 211 beams.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

New Derek Lowe. Choice quote:

quote:

You’re not going be able to cram more nitro groups onto a tetrazole system that small, darn it all, that’s all there is and there ain’t no more. It’s fair to ask whether this hexanitro beast can even exist. As you read the paper the answer turns out to be “Just barely”.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

I know it was someone here, were you the one with the story about getting stuck in traffic with an alarming amount of ammonium triiodide sitting on your lap?

It was indeed Camrath

Camrath posted:

I have a story about this stuff..

Back in my school days, Chemistry was the only subject that I really excelled in. My love of practical chemistry caught the eye of my amazingly charismatic (and somewhat insane) polish Chem teacher (this guy- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbigniew_Szydlo) when I was in the lower 6th (17 years old), who had a side job of doing lectures in schools and universities around the south of England. He needed an assistant for his lectures, and recruited me to help out.

As the wiki article describes, his lectures used a /lot/ of pretty violent chemistry- regularly I'd be found in the lab preparing nitrocellulose gun-cotton, thermite and other stuff that a 17 year old really had no reason to be doing. But to get to the point, in spring 1999 we were invited to do a demonstration at a girl's school in Eastbourne, about an hour and a half from the school. The high-point of the finale would be a demonstration of rockets powered by gun-cotton being fired down wires along the length of the auditorium into little parcels of nitrogen triiodide, while assorted other things bubbled, changed state or blew themselves to pieces for the delectation of the audience.

We mixed all the chemicals up and set off from the school in his horrible clapped out Triumph Herald (I literally had to hold the door shut at one point). I had 20l of liquid nitrogen in a vacuum flask between my legs, half a pound of guncotton sitting on my lap and on top of that the parcels of triiodide, carefully moistened with ammonia. As stated, it's stable when wet- but this is time limited. And we hit traffic on the motorway. Sitting there with literally a bomb that could be set off with a feather resting in my crotch was certainly one of the more nervewracking journeys of my life, as time ticked on.

Eventually we got to the school almost 45 minutes late, and putting it bluntly we were out of time. The iodide exploded literally thirty seconds after we pulled up and got out of the car- I tossed it behind a tree when we saw how dry it was. It went off loudly, and blew a small flowerbed to pieces.

So yeah, that's how chemistry nearly killed me. Frankly I'm amazed looking back that Andrew was able to get away with it all- most of the experiments we did were completely banned in state schools at the time even for demonstration.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Placeholder posted:

My brain absolutely refused to read this sentence in something other than the voice of Professor Farnsworth.

How's his wife holding up? More absorbent than clay, you say?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

:stonklol:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

What did NO ever do to you? :colbert:

Bought them dinner?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yellow Cake is actually very dangerous, leading cause of Czech Neck