Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never bothered to set up anything minecart related. It just seems like a lot of work and complexity for little immediate benefit. One day I'll learn how to make dwarven rollercoasters though.
Minecart-powered quantum stockpiles just take one square of track and one minecart to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

Apparently raising all the dead in masterwork, the undead that are raised by doing that are hostile to you and friendly to orcs. So much for that fortress :what:
As warlocks?

Don't they need like, pylons to control them?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

If I may again talk about Warlock Fortress, its also like having the fire minions that warlocks summon cause they keep shooting fireball AoEs whenever something hostile runs by. Oh that sasquatch got a bit close and we are all grass. Here we have a !!Warlock!! and a !!Ghoul!!

Really can anyone give a good reason to keep them? They aren't really great for defensive means, I can only really see keeping them cause they can produce offspring if you get lucky and a male and female of the same species spawns.
Can you arrange to put them behind like, fortifications blocked off by raised drawbridges? So you only expose them when none of your guys are in the line of fire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

The material a tool is made out of doesn't matter so yes. You can dig through everything short of slade with a mere copper pick, so a wooden axe could fell trees that had the toughness of solid steel. The problem was I couldn't get the game to treat the logs as metal. At least I think that was the problem. Technically it wasn't a tree made out of metal but rather a tree made out of wood with properties identical to that of iron. I may have changed something to fix it and forgotten since I tried making this like, a year ago;

Game should treat it like wood that can be made into metal if it was working properly. Its a pain to test stuff like this though since arena mode is just for seeing how well creatures eviscerate dwarves.
You'd need a custom reaction to turn the wood into actual metal bars. I'm not sure how you'd make it so it's just that type of wood and not any wood though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I'd hope "beer is made of barley" would not require a huge amount of evidence to prove.

Also there isn't hops, but there's a notation for bitter melon saying its leaves can be used instead of hops. Maybe hops is in a different raw file.
I don't think he's gotten to affecting how you cook/brew things enough that you actually make boozes out of more than one material yet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

I turned off the player civs I'm not using and rerolled a world, hopefully it's one of those.
Doesn't the Masterwork launcher say to not have more than one thing set to playable at a time?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I was going to flatten around 80 levels of mountain for aesthetic reasons, then I decided it would just be easier to cut it in such a way that I can collapse off half the cliff.

5 dwarves are dead so far just channeling a third of the cut into the mountain.
You do realize it's all just going to fall straight down and make a pile there right?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, natural formations retain their shape when they fall. Only constructed things crumble.
Well, they collapse to fill all empty space but don't spread out. Anything in any empty pockets is gonna get crushed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

drat you're all right, I don't know why I thought it would just collapse.

Well I guess it's still easier to just keep collapsing it level by level and just dig out the bottom because my dwarves seem to have issues with channeling large areas at once.
I think it's relatively safe if you just channel the top layer off and wait for them to finish before ordering the next layer. Plus you don't need to keep buidlign remote-activated supports and keeping your dwarves out of the danger zone.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nietzschean posted:

I want to read more about broken dreams and values, and how this affects dwarfs and their fortress. :allears:
Urist Brokendreams yearns for a *gibberish, game crashes*

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Anyone ever form & pour an obsidian tower? I'm thinking of doing it, since I'll be close to that point anyhow. Plus, hey - unlimited stone.
It's a lot of work, you need to do it layer by layer. Otherwise you'll end up with a layer of obsidian capping your tower full of lava.

However the end result would be totally awesome.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I no longer recall how I managed to get the forms for the water/lava... Maybe I just never removed the ones from the bottom?
Most likely. Pretty sure you're not getting whatever the floor is back out unless you actually fill the level below where you want the obsidian, drain it afterwards, and deconstruct the stuff. Which seems like a lot of work to get some crappy wood or whatever back.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daaaamn, I wouldn't have thought dwarves went over 1 or 2 cubic meters. :staredog:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

On the other hand, a) dwarven water reactors do bad things to FPS and b) one steam engine can do the work of up to 5 DWRs. Given that, I'm not too upset about boilers occasionally exploding to balance out their advantages.

ETA: Also, my problem with the engine solved itself after I rebuilt the engine in that same place and hooked it up to the existing assemblies.
I'm pretty sure if you make your waterwheel engine a closed loop with 7/7 in all tiles the game just changes it to "flowing water" tile types and it stops murdering your FPS actually moving chunks of water around. You'll need a pump in there to keep it "flowing", though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

Succubi fortress:

I... what? They weren't even part of my civ :psyduck: Moreover HOW was this done?
The kidnapper put them in a sack, duh.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe you guys see something I'm not seeing.

First, I make sure all of the civilizations I DON'T want to play have the red X under Playable (Fortress).

Next, I start up my game and hit Play, choosing Dwarf Fortress:

Did I miss something somewhere? Do you have to Apply changes in the Masterwork GUI or restart before they take effect? It must be something...
I'm not seeing "generate a new world" in between these here. Did you do that?

EDIT: Because changing the raws won't affect things like that for already generated worlds. It's already figured out what civs are playable in that world.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 18, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Met posted:

It won't appear as a road on the map, nor would it be perfect because you can't build on the map edge, so there will be a blank couple tiles along the road every map site distance.
You can build roads on the map edge, I think. Maybe also floors.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I mean which stones to use in loading stonefall traps, not in making mechanisms.
Set up a one-tile stockpile for the jet, either by dumping or by the use of a minecart powered quantum stockpile, and forbid it when it's time to load traps?

Or just make serrated disc traps instead.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm trying to get the flow of materials in my fortress in better shape, so I'm looking into linked stockpiles. Example: a finished goods one restricted to masterwork crafts, which is the only source for my gem setting workshop (along with a cut-gem one, obviously).

One thing from the wiki I didn't understand is how stockpile chaining can speed things up:

How is that better than just having the "primary" one and the one near the furnace be independent, and skipping the one near the collection area? It seems like having more intermediate stops is only going to make things slower, maybe unless I'm using a minecart to move from outside to in.
The dwarf cuts the wood, takes it to the stockpile right nearby, and then cuts more wood, getting more wood cut per period of time.

... Wait no, if you turn off wood hauling on the woodcutter he just lets it fall where he cut it and somebody else has to haul it. Hm. It would improve efficiency if you used a minecart, yeah, but otherwise you just have more steps involved. Having the furnace one pull from the primary one means it's always stocked, though, rather than requiring a dwarf to decide to put some wood in it instead of the main one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Right, my wood-cutters don't haul anything. Putting the furnace "downstream" of the primary seems like it would mean that I'd have to wait for someone to move something to primary and *then* someone to decide to haul something to the furnace one. I guess that only matters if they both get really low, in which case I have more to deal with.
Don't make the furnace pull exclusively from the wood stockpile adjacent to it, just have it there so when they finish they can grab one from a couple tiles away.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

28: Emloxsnosm, "Jackalgrooved", dark fortress
Owner: The Lamented Horror, goblins
Parent Civ: The Barbarity of Torches, goblins
lord: Amxu Poisonpleated the Ugly Venoms of Frenzy, goblin
134 elves
59 humans
25 dwarves
8624 goblins
1 fuchsia demon
4300 trolls
73 elf prisoners
23 dwarf prisoners
7 human prisoners

:stare:
I actually made a adventurer with the goal of wiping out a civilization once. Trained up some still,s became a vampire, found a necromancer tower and learned how to make zombies, and then I spent like a couple real world hours trying to kill everybody in a village before realizing that that people wouldn't stop spawning, because of exactly that.

Hm. With the way things keep going when you're not actually right there now, maybe if I found a way to become something hostile to all life and that makes more of itself on its own...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sum posted:

Doesn't that line mean you're in conflict with other dwarves? Can you be seiged by dwarves now?
I think that's by the goblins.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do you wake people up if it's night so you can request permission to stay?

I got murdered by a bogeyman because I was too loaded down to get inside fast enough, since when I tried to rest inside I just got the mayor going "can I help you?" without waking up.

Also you can't put people in chokeholds if you grab their NECK. You have to grab their THROAT. :downs:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

Usually if you try to go to sleep inside of a house without asking someone will magically wake up and ask you what you want.
Oh so maybe I needed to go that when he was close enough I could see him to talk to him.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I just got my face smashed in by boogeymen again. Why did I not consider them a threat last time I played adventure mode :psydwarf:

... Oh wait I was a legendary shield user vampire, right. Is there a way to wait a significant amount of time now? I recall grabbing some inoffensive wildlife, lying down, and letting it flail helplessly at my shield to level my shield skill.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ignimbrite posted:

I'm used to making rock pots for drinks but wooden pots don't seem to work. Barrels do though. :v:

e: uhhh I think my dwarfs just robbed a trade caravan of its cloth to put in the hospital :stare:
Rock pots are what barrels are called when you make them out of rock, I think.

TildeATH posted:

Is it actually a little generated kobold town or is that just a name for one of their filthy caves? Because if it's the former, then the sheer cuteness might overwhelm 4Chan's ability to post hentai for at least an hour.
I'm guessing kobolds were kidnapped into a goblin civilization, then a site they were at was conquered by humans so now they're part of a human civilization, and now there's a hamlet populated by kobolds.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HFCS posted:

When I got the patched game I deleted the bad one. Everything about this fort is entirely separate from the old. I listed the comparison to show that it seems to be a bug caused by this patch. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer on that before.

As I write this, it appears the farm crop list bug has returned?
by "patch" do you mean "Deleted the old version and then put the new one down"? Because if you just slapped the new one over the old one that could cause strangeness.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Elth posted:

Wait, you can peek into someone else's conversation? How do you do that?

Incidentally, you're supposed to spread your fame and increase your party size by spreading tales of your exploits. Does telling some random shmuck in a tavern work, is shouting out more effective or am I better off seeking important people like lords and ladies?
Maybe the Spread Rumors option?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think those are lesser goblin sites. That's just Goblin Island.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nudipedalia posted:

Just a reminder (mostly to myself as I am rediscovering Dwarf Fortress) that embark points-wise most efficient industry is glassmaking.

Let's take an example: I want to make some large pots because they store twice as much as barrels and look better. I assume here you have a fire-safe building material such as can be made by deconstructing a wagon and making ash.

Metal pots. Bring 2 bituminous coal (cost 3 per unit), 1 wood (to booststrap coke production, cost 3), 3 units of native copper (cost 3*6). Bituminous coal gives 9 fuel per unit giving you 17 fuel that melts 3 ore into 12 bars of copper. From 12 bars you make 12 pots and there's two fuel bars left over. 12 pots for the cost of 27 embark points.

Glass pots. Bring coal and fuel same as before (cost 9), and 16 units of sand (cost 1*16). 16 fuel gives you 16 pots. As a bonus you get 16 bags previously used for sand. 16 pots for the cost of 25 embark points.

Stone pots. Bring 9 stone (cost 3*9). 9 pots for the cost of 27 embark points.

And other industries just get more efficient since you need wood only to start coke production, and this doesn't even take into account larger items that require several metal bars such as doors.
Does "Take one unit of all the cheap meats/fish and cook them into roasts to free up the barrels" not work anymore or something? that gets you a unit of food and a barrel for 2 points total. so basically on embark point = 1 barrel.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

How well do pits and walls work now that enemies can climb?
If they're smoothed or made out of blocks they aren't climbable.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

They cannot exist indoors, or during the day. Because days are so abstracted in fortress mode, they would pop into existence for a couple seconds then be wiped out.
Or near more than one person. I don't think anybody in the fortress counts as traveling alone at night.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Constructed walls/floors don't burn, and are in fact perfectly suitable for containing lava, but things like workshops and supports and grates do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Trundel posted:

So I'm trying out a reclaim of a game-generated fortress and only just noticed 2+ years into it that the previous dwarves constructed their fortress mostly out of lignite blocks. So I'm screwed if a fire-breathing beast shows up, right?
Wait, can you use lignite blocks to produce coke? Because if so you have a shitload of fuel there ocne you deconstruct that and rebuild with something sensible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hm, maybe a reaction which takes more than one block to produce the corresponding amount of what you'd get from a full boulder.

It'd just be nice to not look at things like "the NPCs who built this fortress I'm reclaiming made it out of what" and have no option but to lament the waste.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tunicate posted:

My basement is full of forges made out of gold nuggets and iron thrones.
Oh, gold nuggets sounds like the raw smeltable "stone". And even if it isn't, you can melt down metals. If it's magma down there you can even melt all that poo poo down without using a ton of fuel!

When they use something you want in its raw form as blocks for structural purposes, on the other hand...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cr4zyd posted:

I threw two military squads at it expecting them all to die and....

How underwhelming... (This is the entire combat report)
Well, go find a snowman and kick them in the head and see how they hold up in real life.

Random beasts made out of materials like sand or snow or mist are extremely flimsy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

thunderspanks posted:

hahaha oh my, units can jump in fortress mode now. Farewell, Leakedanvils, done in by a goblin siege jumping over a moat.
They cannot however climb walls that are smoothed or made out of blocks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

But like someone already mentioned, this isn't really needed at the moment since all you have to do right now to foil climbers is smooth the walls so they can't grab on to them.
Or make them out of blocks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Duckaerobics posted:

I'm not sure if it works against invaders, but I had dwarfs climb over block walls.
Well, I've had a lot of NPCs fail to climb block walls in adventure mode, and when fast travel plopped me on top of a building made out of them I fell down when I tried to climb down carefully.

Maybe they need to be 2 squares high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gimmick Account posted:

Really? Even just a 'the side with more soldiers wins automatically'-sanity check so that situations such as those unstoppable handful-of-men-armies don't occur anymore?
Keep in mind that fortresses you made actually have really low populations. A few versions back I became a necromancer and set out to exterminate at leasto ne civilization, and then after hours of killing hundreds and hundreds of people in a farming hamlet with no sign of their population dropping when I walked away and back to spawn more dudes out of the offscreen population I just loving gave up.

So anybody who could put together a decent sized force would still steamroll your forts when you looked away from them.

GorfZaplen posted:

If you retire a necromancer with their undead minions, the undead minions will attack them when you unretire them. The worst part is I have no idea where I died so the slab is lost forever. :smith:

Check legends for where you died?