Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Passed its sell-by date. (I'm disappointed that history's greatest monsters doesn't just list movie monsters, today of all days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fluo posted:

Why is Robert Webb and Russell Brand in the monster list? Is it a parody of this thread or something because Brand said not to vote and Webb said to vote?

I'm serious Mahmoud, can we just replace it with

History's Greatest Monsters:
Dracula
Bride of Frankenstein
Mr Hyde
Imhotep
Morticia Addams
James Sullivan

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

What the hell was happening in '88/89? :psyduck:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fans posted:

It's more some people being pissed off that people vaping seem like they're getting around the smoking in public ban. Which they are, but it's a stupid reason to ban them as well.

But vapes smell amazing :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Best history snipe ever :golfclap:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There is not a single part of that draft from which I can derive any kind of meaning :psyduck:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Before reading the subheading I assumed that was going to be about immigrants somehow (the real reason for the housing shortage, according to my dad :cripes:)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HortonNash posted:

Is it toeing the line to report what a minister says?

That article looks like a straight up news report, without any comment/opinion in favour or against the government position. To be honest, I'd rather news organisations separate their news and opinion pieces, otherwise you end up with Fox News.

IDS' opinions have nothing to do with facts though, reporting them in a factual manner (as-is with zero commentary) lends them an authoritative weight they by no means deserve.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ferrosol posted:

Imagine President Charles representing our country

:suicide:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Larry_Mullet posted:

if you just left some seeds out or grew some heather

Leave some seeds out, gain their trust, eat them when they're not paying attention. :chef:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

hookerbot 5000 posted:

And tomorrow is the anniversary of Margaret Thatchers death (and my kids first birthday which is why I remember).

Really? Wow, feels like it was just last week. Perfect timing, I have an interview tomorrow and it's always good to look cheerful :toot:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

I have an interview tomorrow and it's always good to look cheerful :toot:

Job status: :getin:

It's only temp admin stuff for the Lancashire care trust, but from the sound of it I'll have plenty of hours at more than minimum wage and a real contract, all in all a step up from the crappy bar I was stuck in before.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

General China posted:

Its more a question of making decent cheese on toast than the fire risk. You need to toast your bread on both sides before you add the cheese.

Bung it in the toaster, take it out, on with butter and cheese, under the grill for all of a minute :effort:

If you need some quick energy to keep you going through this lengthy and arduous process, I guess you could always open a bag of crisps :btroll:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Seaside Loafer posted:

Are we allowed to use the c word in this special circumstance?

Conservative? Yes, I think that fits well enough to be allowed for once.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just taking their :911: fanboyism to the next level.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
DIY isn't an ideological battleground ffs, if you want to do it then do it (just don't suggest that if wage slaves are struggling to make ends meet they should try living The Good Life to save money)

LemonDrizzle posted:

The truest labourites: the affluent and cosmopolitan hand-wringing middle classes

"Calm Persistence" aka "[recent conservative policy] isn't working and has never worked, obviously this means we need to do it harder"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

peanut- posted:

I grew up going to church every week (evil Catholic church even) and the only thing priests ever talked about was that maybe we should all share things and be nice to each other. It never seemed terribly malicious tbh.

The new rector at my local CoE can't get through a single sermon without stressing the importance of shame, it's pretty :smithicide:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Any farmers? I hear pirates are basically the same as farmers but with boats instead of cows.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
She what :psyduck:

I googled the name and saw a picture of them together under the name Wendi Deng Murdoch and assumed he must have adopted her or something :gonk:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bozza posted:

The Mail at its finest, the doublethink in this article is staggering.

Really? "There's not enough houses because of too many people coming into the country and also nobody wants to live together any more" seems fairly internally consistent, if still aggravatingly stupid.

Unless you mean doublethink in the sense that the classes forced to rent are those the mail hates, yet the tone of the article is still one of wistful regret rather than cackling glee, in which case I totally get you.

SybilVimes posted:

I hate the word 'rentier', it sounds like someone trying to be fancy and coming up short.

One step short of "rentiest".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

McDragon posted:

What, Conservative? :v:

Conservatives would more usually be described as cold and shallow. Also, don't steal my jokes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I like how the one on the right looks like he's already being punched in the face by an invisible hand.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fluo posted:

Punters can wash it down with a range of "spectacular British wines".

No beer? No mead? loving :wankah:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

There's plenty more fish in the sea.

lol :smith:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you recall that certain social models automatically exclude non-virginal women from the pool of "people I want to get with", then yeah, that's a thing that's already been done. :reddit::japan:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Elfface posted:

Sanctions are awkward, but there needs to be some sort of incentive for people to actually attend the Job Centre. And to get a long-term sanction, you have to keep failing to attend while an existing one is underway, and there's plenty of letters, time to call in sick and other opportunities to stop it happening.

The shortest sanction I ever received was three months, for failing to attend the first day of an optional unpaid work placement due to getting the date wrong. The only thing I learned from this is that sometimes things start on a Friday (also never ever trust the JCP)

When the point of your organisation is to give people the bare minimum amount of money they need to survive (it actually says this on the letters) when they have little or no other income, "incentivising" people by threatening to take that away for months at a time if they slip up just once is loving terrible.

Elfface posted:

Secondly, when people do find work, they're not best pleased with JCP, so instead of actually signing off and letting the know, they just sever communications.

I wonder why.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Elfface posted:

That seems off, to me. As I say, maybe JCP do it differently, but at the Work Programme we could only sanction* for a mandated activity, and they started at two weeks. There's no way we'd make a work placement optional, though we did only use ones with job offers at the end of it rather than the poundland-slaves.

When I say "optional" what I mean is I got suckered into putting myself on the Mandatory Work Activity list as soon as I signed on, instead of going on it automatically 6-12 months later. I was depressed and thought some shop experience would do me good, and also wasn't told that one mistake would net me a £700 fine.

Elfface posted:

And yeah, sanctions aren't perfect incentives, but what else is there?

Any system that doesn't treat bottom-rung benefits as a privilege. (this is why we should stop calling them "benefits" btw)

e/ It's like, I keep wanting to talk about our current system in terms of carrot and stick, because somebody clearly thinks of it that way, but it's really not comparable at all. There is no real reward in this system other than the promise that you get to live for another fortnight; the only punishment is taking that away. It is supremely hosed up.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 17, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

:roflolmao:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah, but then you invite a bunch of terrible jokes about laundering and/or "this is a clean operation"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
He looks so loving angry as well, surrounded by the spoils of communism charity. I hope the bastard chokes on it :allears:

e/ I say communism because if you break down his argument it's basically "look how easy it is to fool people for personal gain when they trust everyone to be honest in social interactions" which I'm most familiar with as a lovely excuse for why communism will never work.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 20, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

kingturnip posted:

It's quite interesting, as someone who's known a few Muslim people, to see who will happily go to a pub and who won't.* I'd say it's almost the same proportion as will cover their head (outside a mosque) compared to those who don't.
Which, by itself, tells me it's more of a cultural than a religious issue. (Although, if you were to argue that there's no point in going to a pub if you're not going to drink alcohol, I doubt I'd disagree with you.)

Depends on the pub, really.

I don't know if it's because I just got home from work or the cider or what, but this is completely hilarious.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 21, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think anyone's OK with Labour here. It's just that when your choice is between cartoon supervillainy and diluted cartoon supervillainy, there's really only one pick.

Doodling leftist obscenities on your ballot paper?

Umiapik posted:

if Scotland votes Yes, the first thing David Cameron would have to do is visit Buckingham Palace for an extremely awkward conversation with the Queen about how he's managed to mislay her country. The second thing he'd have to do is resign - there's no way that he could continue in office as the Prime Minister who Lost Britain. Aside from DC, it's important to realise now just what an extraordinarily bitter post-mortem there'd be at Westminister in the aftermath of a Yes vote. I'm quite sure that the Coalition would be ripped apart and there'd be nothing left to do except call for new elections.

Good thing it's not happening then eh? :smithicide:

Is it just me or does the actual function of referendums seem to be to entrench the status quo by asking if people want to change something and then taking the inevitable "no" as an excuse to never ask that question ever again?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

If we ever get to a point where TEH GREEN LOBBY actually does wield it's mythical power over us all we'll be in a much better place, and so will the Greens

Either that or they'll go mad with power and decide to switch off the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjg3Ene7UY

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Larry_Mullet posted:

private companies creating mini suns that can't be turned off when something goes wrong

Everything I Need to Know About Nuclear Power I Learned from Watching Spiderman 2

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

Anyway, tory_equality_consultants.jpg:

I suppose racism is pretty traditional.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Everybody occasionally falls asleep during test matches. :goleft:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just write "party donation (bullion)" on it, that'll do the trick.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Loonytoad Quack posted:

No discussion about the new signing on rules?

I heard it on the radio this morning while I was still half asleep, screamed internally, then fell back asleep and had a dream about cathartically screaming some more. Woke up feeling pretty good! :downsgun:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
IDS will never be dismissed, for he believes he is doing the best possible job, therefore it is true. Such is the power of the dread solipsist :tinfoil:

Fans posted:

You only have to go every day if you've been out of work for two years. It's still poo poo, but that group of people is small enough that it's workable for most of the country. They're not really meant to go everyday, they're meant to be bullied into taking the lovely "Voluntary" jobs that are on offer.

And if you don't volunteer eventually they'll cut your benefits anyway even if you do go to the job center every day. "Voluntary" sounds a lot better than "Forced Unpaid Labour" I guess.

Can't wait to see how this intersects with people getting kicked off ESA.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

Regarding the headline, if you take it literally then yes that is reasonable

I dislike Yorkshire Tea so much I refuse to allow any in my houses that I own because I am a peculiar homophobic landlord, how's that? :smugbert:

I also never shut up about how much I dislike this one kind of tea. Anyone mentions tea, I'll be sure to air my opinion that all tea is ruined by the mere existence of Yorkshire. But it's okay, because it's just tea! (all analogies are poo poo, hth)

• Locked thread