Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

If I pre-order will I get the soundtrack now or when the game releases officially?

Unfortunately, it comes with the game release. The way soundtrack bonuses work on steam is you need to download the game, and the soundtrack will be downloaded along with. You can find it in the game files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So whats the situation with hackers? Ran into my first one today, infinite HP black phantom interrupting funtimes at the Belltower. Can I expect steam to crack down somehow, or is this GFWL all over again? Edit: I reported him, for what its worth. Just wondering if the steam report is the right channel.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 25, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Something weird happened to me twice now. First I thought it was my controller bugging out. I was blocking constantly even without the button pressed, and there was an icon of a shield surrounded by a red box under the HUD health bars. Quitting and reloading fixed it. But now it happened again, this time with the dash button, and a new icon appeared of a running man, same red box. Is this an in-game effect? And if so, how do I turn it off?

Edit: VVV You'd think by now I'd know to read the drat manual. Must have pressed X on my keyboard by accident. Thanks.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 29, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So is there a treasure chest for critical items like in Dark Souls 1? The stone mace knight and I managed to kill each other simultaneously, and the sublime bone dust is gone. Let me know if its available elsewhere before I delete this character.

I got his face just the way I wanted, too.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Man, the censoring is something else. I can only imagine what this guy's actual name is, and whether it's something actually dirty or not.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Is it just be or are half the people playing this game assholes? No joke, I had someone black crystal me away while I was summoned as a shade just before my time was up, denying me the un-hollowing and the spell restores.

Don't do that, folks. Just let the small sign shades pal around until the kill/time limit is up and they get their reward. They aren't after souls or boss fights usually.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fuuuuck I literally depleted the Dragon Shrine trying to get the Black Dragon Shield to drop. This thing is so rare I may well need to resort to goon trades. Surely one of you had the good fortune of it dropping, right? Surely...? :negative:

I managed to snag one through dumb luck, but I doubt I'll be using it. Whats your soul memory? Pick a place and a name ring god. Let's make this happen.

Edit: Go ahead and add me here, easier to talk through the overlay.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 3, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Mazed posted:

Dammit all. I wanted dual scimitars (specifically because I like how they looked in comparison to falchions) and I got a metric TON the first time I went through No Man's Wharf. But, I sold all but one off to Gavlan. Now I go back there with ring and Jester hat and everything and none of these drat vikings will just give me a friggin' scimitar dammit.

Did you get the scimitar from the treasure stash in the bastille? From the first bonfire past the boat you took from the wharf, you can trigger the elevator to go down and dash out of it so you can ride the top of it. Should lead to a scimitar and a repair powder.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Mazed posted:

I did, go figure.

Though this is a very good tip anyway and this playthrough was the first time I noticed that hidden stash.

Phooey. What's your soul level, then? I could pass you my scimitar. None of my characters use dex so far, so its yours if we're in range. Hit me up at my steam profile.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I have a question as a hexer, too. I've been using the sunset staff for both hexes and sorceries, and thats been fine, but now that I have infusions unlocked I'm worried that going dark with the staff will make my sorcery suffer too much. What's a good sorcery staff that isn't the end-game one found right before the final stretch of the game?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So this happened to me a while back in the Earth Tower while I was trying to get humanity back as a shade. At least I managed to get him to light up the windmill earlier.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Fair enough. Think I'll just offhand my dagger and not get hit then

Too bad you're not a hexer, the Disc Chime counts as a shield in the off-hand and has absolutely no physical requirements. Great for absolute glass cannon builds. A real pain to get early on, but boy is it a lifesaver. 3 strength for life! Edit: Heck, the requirements may not actually affect its ability to block, so try for it anyway. You just gotta go down the pit in Majula to the Saint's grave, beat the boss, go down another pit past the boss room and then make a tricky jump from your vantage point there. Just don't drop down to the wood bridge, the jump is impossible from there. It has to be from the platform above it.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 7, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

keyframe posted:

What exactly is the use of Ring of the Dead?

I heard stuff like holy water and the Soul Appease miracle can harm you when you are hollow, so slapping on that ring when invaded might spare you from folks trying it on you.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

Speaking of Locked Doors, I just found the door past the Toad Singing Bitch, that's near a bonfire before going down into the Undead Crypt. What's the deal with that door? Just said it was locked.

:downs:

There's no optional boss for that one, actually. Before entering the Singing Toad boss room, did you talk to the hollow lady in the little hutch? If you did, check back at the door after you experience a big change.

Straight answer: The door only opens to hollows. Go suicide off a cliff or stand next to a curse jar. If you didn't talk to the hollow singer and instead killed her, that door is locked forever. Beyond are a few treasure chests and a one-time enemy that can drop a nifty animal skull hat.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

FirstPersonShitter posted:

man, the mad warrior set is a pain in the rear end to get

Do you know all the tricks to getting it? Wearing the red string ring makes him appear more often (apparently), but the real trick is keeping the Task Manager open to the processes page and monitoring the memory usage by darksoulsii.exe or whatever its called. Rest at the bonfire just below the belfry ladder and keep an eye on it (run the game in windowed mode or slap on a second monitor), and after you rest any time the memory usage spikes by 10 or more k it means he spawned. Then you just take the trek up, murder him, then head back down to chain rest until the memory usage spikes again. Its a race to see what maxes out first, the mad warrior set or your Bellbro rank.

Luckily, he seems to work by dropping only one of each piece of equipment per NG+, so you don't have to worry about getting doubles. Any time there's a drop, its one of the pieces you need.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is the drangelic shield good? I just got enough strength to wear it, along with +5 heide knight sword.

Yeah, its not awful. One of the earliest 100% block shields you can find, so if you have the strength for it no reason not to use it. But if you're intentionally keeping your strength low for your build, there are other shields with 100% phys block that have lesser requirements, so you oughta truck through with 95% until you can get them.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 19, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Go rapiers, poke people to death. About the only thing that made my dex run fun. Ascetic for Flame Weapon and turn the rapier into an automatic shishkebab.

Blacksteel katana was OK too I guess.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

I just witnessed the dumbest attack I've seen in the game. I was fighting a manikin when out of nowhere when I had him in mid-combo he clipped behind me and slit my throat. After I killed it I just sat there dumbfounded at how badly animated and telegraphed the attack was. I literally had no sign they could even do that and nothing even indicated how to avoid such an attack. It just happened out of nowhere and boom, 1/2 of my health gone.

My friend was next to me at the time and was howling with laughter because both of us were in shock.

That was a parry & riposte, something they'll happily do mid-combo while stunlocked whenever they feel like. Sometimes the skellies do it too. One hit stuns them, and somewhere between that and the next in the combo they will break out of stun, wind up a parry, nail that, and then a riposte, all in the split second it takes for one of your strikes to finish and the next to land.

They don't even give you the benefit of an exaggerated animation like the skeletons and balder knights did in DS1. At least they left your character reeling for a sec before going for the riposte. Here you're just left wondering what the hell happened.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

^^^Ugh, yeah. Trying to fire off a heal between the giant lord's feet is frustrating as all get-out.

Rirse posted:

Yeah I think that might work. Also looking at the Dark Souls Wiki, it sounds like the final boss is the one you need to kill for it to count with him.

If none of the other solutions work/suit you, I have a mage character who'll never use the gear. I'll hand it over.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 22, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So who draws those comics of dark souls 2 where Ornstein flips off the dragonrider and the player regrets dying as a phantom because he's disappointing his host ("Ah! He is crying!)? I remember the collection being hosted on some foreign deviantart like pixiv, but I have no idea who the author's name is to do a search. Or even where to find one of the comics and read their signature, its been a while since one popped up here.

Edit: VVVV Thanks!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 22, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

So the ancient dragon is complete bullshit I should just skip right? Ugh.

Its complete BS, but its fun to throw BS back at him. Forget the gower ring method, just get a Gyrm Greatshield. Just need 16 strength to two hand it, and it has 100% fire block. The fire breath hits hard, but it doesn't have the rapid-fire strikes of normal firebreaths. The one where he flies up only hits twice, and that's enough for the shield to absorb before getting guard broken. Just keep baiting that and whaling on his paws/shooting lightning in his face and you're gold. Just don't try to block the firebreath sweep he does while on the ground, that hits three times and the third time will getcha. Use that opportunity to run to either side of his head and get more hits in.

Do it once to say you did, then never bother again.

Edit: just make sure to talk and get the plot item from it first in case you decide its not worth the effort. If you attack first, you gotta kill it and get the item to progress. Or maybe the pardoner might reset him, I never tried.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Iretep posted:

Anyone have a character at the 900k-1.2 mil SM range that wants to help me move the ruin set to a 600k SM character?

A bit late, but if you haven't found someone to help I got a guy in the right range. Steam: TuxedoTed.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Another pro tip for the smelter in addition to the no-summon suggestion and his resistance to back hits: Smelter demon (and other bosses) gain high resistances during power-up animations, and Smelter has two during his fight. He looks like an easy target, but resist the urge to blow hard-hitting spells on him, they won't amount to much until he's done. It'll drag the fight out otherwise.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The real issue with the dragonrider bow is that heavy stamina cost. I've noticed that any time you dip below minimum stamina with a bow shot it takes extra long to draw, and you'll be doing that a lot with the dragonrider any time you try to shoot two or three times in a row.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Does two-handing a shield do anything for you besides more stability?

It lets people with less than the required 32 strength to properly block with it. It is a tower shield, after all. Not every build is beefy enough to use it, but most at least have the 16 strength to two-hand it. A lot of people forget that that is possible, so most folks suggesting it add in "two hands!" as a reminder.

But hey, if you got the muscles for it and like 20 endurance, you should have the stamina to single-hand block with it just fine.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

scamtank posted:

The spearmen are piles and piles of bullshit, though. YOU ARE SWINGING THAT SHIELD ABOVE YOUR HEAD IT DOES NOT PROTECT YOU NOW

It wouldn't be so infuriating if they didn't get the best of both worlds in every way. They're blocking and attacking at the same time, but not if you try to guard-break them. Then it just shoves them like normal instead of guard-breaking and setting up a counter. Their dumb shield whack is flawless except for the fact that they're a weak hollow. Just imagine a strong foe pulling off the same crap.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Apparently there is a rope you can slide down in the Gutter. I have no idea what it leads to or what purposes it serves. Its one of the things I've only discovered while invading a world.

It does make my comparison of the Gutter to a playground even more apt though. Its a fun place to fight but I'm having problems actually reaching the host to fight them.

God dammit, they're all the way over there now? :saddowns:

The only time I ever got invaded there was when I was at the top of that zip rope. The invader apparently didn't know about its existence either, and after a while of dodging arrows and lightning bolts he just gave up. Guess he didn't have arrows or the determination to find the zip line.

PS: Go back to that area later as a human, there's some OK loot there. A full set of tattered gear (pyromancer starter set in DS1), a titanite chunk which is handy to get early on a playthrough, and an evil eye ring.

Just a plain one, already rendered obsolete by the +1 variant you got by going down the well to the gutter in the first place. The only way you could miss it and get the plain variant first is if you rely exclusively on the ladders you can buy later on and get to the gutter via the extra path beyond the Rat Vanguard boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

And they invariably headshot you making you stagger backwards like an idiot for two seconds. OK I GET IT JUST LET ME MOVE AGAIN.