Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm waiting with baited breath to hear Totalbiscuit do a WTF is of it and bitch for 20 minutes about how the options menu isn't up to snuff. "Ugh. No FOV slider that goes up to 120. What a bunch of bollocks :britain:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mimetic posted:

I'm already thinking of an Indiana Jones build for a second playthrough. The whip is obvious, but I'm thinking pyromancy as a "gun" so I can reenact this scene.

edit: it's going to mostly hinge on whether I can find a hat. I think most of my first playthrough is going to be planning my outfit

You'd probably be better off with a crossbow rather than a pyromancy for somethin' like that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Internet Kraken posted:

I beat Dark Souls on SL 1. It has nothing to do with skill, its just a lovely system and I mad because they hosed up a really good system rather than fixing the minor problems with it.

This is literally just "They changed it now it sucks :qq:" bullshit. The lifegems+flask strikes a good balance between what DS1 and DeS did.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
FINALLY got an Old Whip from the stupid crows. What armor would make for a good Simon Belmont cosplay anyways?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm getting a micro-stutter issue. The game runs fine maxed but it 'skips' a little every few seconds, it's really noticable when walking somewhere. I had a similar issue in New Vegas and I recall having to futz with the ini settings to fix it. Is there any solution for it yet in DS2? I'm not seeing vsync or any sort of framerate lock. It's also worth mentioning this only happens when fullscreen.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tracula posted:

I'm getting a micro-stutter issue. The game runs fine maxed but it 'skips' a little every few seconds, it's really noticable when walking somewhere. I had a similar issue in New Vegas and I recall having to futz with the ini settings to fix it. Is there any solution for it yet in DS2? I'm not seeing vsync or any sort of framerate lock. It's also worth mentioning this only happens when fullscreen.

Hate to quote myself but anybody have an answer?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Control Volume posted:

There's a bone something or other that you get at the beginning of the game that you could try that restores world links if you're not invading as much.

Try using the dried finger. I'm fairly sure that rests any sort of invasion cooldown timer.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Attestant posted:

lol pubbies :smug:

There is something hilarious that goons refer to people in games as pubbies no matter how nonsensical it is.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

StashAugustine posted:

Goddamn bonewheels :argh:

More so than the Old Dragonslayer they caught me off guard and gave me the biggest "oh gently caress :gonk:" moment of the entire game.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Rolling with whips is actually staggeringly fun even if they're aren't that great. A bit sad that I can just switch to a basic club and mash things into paste while it takes a good number of hits with a rather upgraded whip just to do the same damage.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Callick posted:

if a whip did the same damage as a big fuckoff club per hit there'd be a lot less reason to use a club wouldn't there?

Eh, I may have misspoke there a bit. It's just that whips feel a lot more technical to use with lower returns when a simple club that I'm not even statted for just does a hell of a lot more damage with a lot less work.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Minorkos posted:

Doesn't the Old Whip do kind of damage? Maybe get that whip, then skip DEX just and put an enchantment on it. I like the idea of a lightning or fire whip.

The old whip does absolutely insane damage but it breaks so fast that you need to use repair powers every 10 attacks or so.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Minorkos posted:

:shrug:

I guess you could always use some other whips power stanced, I'd imagine that's pretty good for PvE. Then use the Old Whip if you're at a boss or a tuff enemy. I don't know.

It's not really a big deal, it just felt a bit noticeable going through areas using them compared to basically a stick. They're not bad by any means just a little underwhelming.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Been doing a Simon Belmont playthough and its been going pretty drat well. I didn't appreciate just how good thrwoing knives and bombs were till now. Whips are seriously great too, power stancing them or even just two handing one.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

turtlecrunch posted:

FROM realized the Old Whip was way too much fun which is why they gave it a durability of fuckyou/20. :(

The whips that Gilligan sells are actually not too bad and don't break after literally five attacks. Is it worth infusing whips with any sort of element?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tahjir posted:

Okay I want to know how long it took them to write that list. I didn't even know the word waffle could be offensive.

Because of blue waffle is my guess, same reason lemonparty is on there. The funniest thing to me is "qq more" however.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gus Hobbleton posted:

People complaining about the two easiest bosses in the game make me wonder how they deal with actually hard bosses.

Regardless of difficulty it's kind of a poo poo fight for a number of reasons.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, what do you lose when you go to NG+? I'm assuming you lose some keys, but do you lose any boss or giant souls? If so I'll just eat them since there's no "get every weapon" achievement anymore.

You keep the souls but lose everything in the key items tab.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Iron Keep is probably my favourite level idea.

A giant-rear end keep made out of brick and iron built on top of a massive loving volcano, so heavy that it starts sinking into it after they wake up a demon in the iron they were mining to make it.

I basically imagine the Old Iron King having the same thinking from the Holy Grail. "When I first came here, this was all magma. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a volcano, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the lava. So I built a second one. That sank into the lava. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the lava. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Chosen Undead, the strongest castle in all of Drangleic."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'd just crack two basic life gems and not worry about poison when going through some areas.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ariong posted:

Is there a way to make white soapstone signs appear? I need help with a boss and I haven't seen any since before the first.

Are you human?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

poptart_fairy posted:

I've got nothing against people waiting for Bellbros to summon in and taking advantage of that, but the emote spam and smug little roll dance is kind of over-celebrating your victory, dude.

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, getting a steady stream of Sentinel invasions now, but few of them seem unprepared for the maniac charging at them with a claymore and little else.

Think I'm going a bit power mad with my victories though. I keep being a needless dick and chugging Estus over their corpse as it fades out, regardless of whether or not they hit me.

Funny how things change.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

armoredgorilla posted:

I cooped with a Simon Belmont last night. Leather armor, leather shield and a whip. When he realized the whip wasn't doing enough damage, he switched chucking Witching Urns. :allears:

I've run a similar gimmick. It really made me appreciate how good holy water and throwing knives are.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Doctor Zaius posted:

Are the servers down or something? My internet connection is doing fine but I'm not able to go online in the game.

It's Steam making GBS threads itself. It does this a lot these days.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Isn't there a boss whip that has amazing poison scaling if you infuse it?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fargin Icehole posted:

What, like the spotted whip?

Yeah, that's it. I've not given it a go but reading a bit it sounds like a good dex weapon

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Raygereio posted:

If you can't tell the difference between me and the Persuer: DON'T USE THE DAMNED BALLISTAS!
The rudest host so far has been the guy who killed me with the ballista after the Persuer was dead and I was in the middle of my waving-goodby animation.

Thats the best part of the fight though :frogout:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Raygereio posted:

Dark Souls' servers are fine. The problem seems to be with the steam community service which has been struggling for some time now.

Its getting really goddamn annoying how poo poo the Steam servers have been getting on top of all the other garbage going on with Steam these days.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Splurgerwitzl posted:

I love everything about this game except Huntsman Copse. gently caress that place and its lovely bosses.

The Skeleton Lords own and I will hear no different :colbert:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

buzzsaw.gif posted:

I have no idea. I didn't get invaded until NG+ on PS3, and I haven't been invaded at all on PC. I went to the Namco forums to see if there was anything on there about the servers being down, but I just saw thread after thread of people bellyaching about the CONSTANT INVASIONS INTO THEIR GAME.

It's as if they are saying that invasions should be removed entirely. SOmeone even suggested that you should be able to "opt out" of pvp.

You mean like burning an effigy at a bonfire? :rolleyes: The official forums must be absolutely insufferable.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Nahxela posted:

While I do agree that there's not really any large advantage to upgrading armor in PvE, I don't agree that you rarely find yourself with an abundance of souls. This game throws tons of souls at you, a lot more than the previous games.

It's odd, compared to Demons or DS1 I didn't find myself getting all that angry when I lost a large pile of souls since they really didn't feel that hard to amass. Hell, I even found myself sitting on a couple dozen usable soul items at a time before realizing "Oh yeah, I should eat these."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I even bonfire aesthetic'd the place and i haven't gotten a single bite

How do people still get this wrong? :argh:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

rear end-Haggis posted:

Oh there's plenty worse than that, brother.
I used a thing called GeDoSaTo for increasing the prettiness of DS2 and that is flagged by VAC. Now I have a VAC ban incoming for my account and cannot summon, invade, or be summoned or invaded in DS2 anymore. You can still see ghosts and bloodstains, and read and write messages, but anything involving interacting with players is disabled on that Steam account forever. Not even a Bone of Order fixes that poo poo, like it would anyway.

In addition to the other problems, I think this release hasn't been a very good one considering you can get a VAC ban for a graphics mod.

Yeah, any sort of injector can get you VAC banned apparently. So not everyone who gets canned by VAC was going for :sicknasty: headshots in CS with an aimbot and even worse is if you get a VAC ban that's it. They won't even consider looking into it ever no matter what for any reason. Much as people laud Valve they have literally zero customer service in most cases.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I'd really say this is OP worthy so people can check their names before they end up as ****** ******.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

404notfound posted:

Freja's one of the great souls, right? For some reason, her soul in my inventory just looks like a regular one, instead of the big, orange one that the other three great souls are.

Look up in her arena and look at the red spot on the floor after you beat her.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Wild Knight posted:

So wait, does GeDoSaTo VAC-ban you or not, because I've been looking at this nexus mod all weekend (it's just Zelda textures, don't worry) and was wondering if rolling a Link character would be more viable in this game than the first because you can actually use swords in your left hand now, but if I might get VAC-banned for it theeeen it probably wouldn't be worth it.

ninja edit bahaha posted right after that huge cheat experiment, I feel awkward now.

Wow that actually looks really nice. I was expecting basically crap and someone to copy-paste textures from Ocarina of Time.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Sober posted:

Still running GeDoSaTo and no bans. I can still connect online, if that's what you can call it right now (lovely servers :argh:). I think VAC would know the difference between something modding actual game files versus an injector. As Durante stated, basically even poo poo like FRAPS, Mumble, SweetFX would be grounds for a VAC ban if it counted it as much, since those and plenty other programs essentially do the same thing on some level.

It's hard to say. Watched a video about someone using a hooked file for the original Half-Life to add bloom and tweak the graphics, he got a VAC ban for that years ago that was never overturned and never will be. All VAC bans are final no matter what.

Here it is if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6fo34JOAk

Tracula fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 4, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hahah that happened to me once. You'd think people would at least not fire if there's someone standing right in front of the ballista, but no. It's upsetting to get killed by your own guys but a little funny at the same time.

Yes. It's totally an accident whenever I do this :getin:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Isn't the Ancient Dragon actually some science experiment on a Giant? It does drop a giants soul when you kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The flow of PvP depends on where I am. When I'm being a dick and invading in Drangleic I do my best to wedge myself behind enemies and do whatever I can to get the host distracted with PvE stuff while I swoop in for the kill. Best was invading someone with two phantoms trying to clear the sentinel room just to lightning bolt him in the back while distracted. Sure I'm being a cheap gently caress but if I invade I'm gonna do everything in my power to win, especially if they have backup.