Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SaberToothedPie posted:

they put sky in a darby allin/dante martin/jungle boy type spot vs jericho in the early dynamite days and people were just not into the follow up build of him.

I do feel like they've been pretty half-hearted with Sky ever since he left SCU. Like, he had a feud with Shawn Spears ... on Dark only, and it got forgotten for weeks at a time, and it was never really blown off (Sky threw Spears through the wall of Britt Baker's Waiting Room, and that was it). He won the "Face of the Revolution" ladder match, and all it got him was a big fake gold ring. And the Men of the Year seems to have benefited Ethan Page more than Sky, if only because Page is so much more natural as a heel. It is a bit frustrating for me because I like Sky and it constantly feels like he's just on the verge of catching on, and never does.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

The business evolves too. A Destroyer used to be an auto win and now it's not. They need to get over it.

Hell back in the day slamming a dude's head against the ringpost on the outside could potentially lead to a countout win. Same with a chair. Now they're just regular things people do. It's fine.

I have actually seen someone claim that "a superkick is a finisher" and that it's unrealistic that people get up from the Bucks' Superkick Party.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Wasn't he using it when he turned up in AEW? I've got memories of him murdering Big Dustin with it.

Yeah, he has used it a few times in AEW.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The Beatles original manager, Brian Epstein

The sculptor Jacob Epstein.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/S3AN2DR/status/1457702587252281346

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I've never been a bartender but I have been a bouncer and the bars I worked at were real picky about what "sport" type stuff they could show. Like TVs in bars have to buy special expensive packages to show football, ufc, soccer, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if, given that wwe is a subscription/ppv system, most bars just don't want to deal with getting sued or fined and just blanket ban wrestling.

Also, I notice the original Reddit poster said he was in a chain bar. I would expect a chain to have stricter rules about what can and can't be shown, rather than leaving it up to the discretion of individual bartenders/managers.

Back when I was a WWE fan, I used to go to a bar to watch PPVs. It actually wasn't too bad an experience -- they were smoke-free and the food was decent, and even with the cost of food and beer it was usually cheaper than buying the PPV for myself. Although Wrestlemania was always standing room only.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

What's weird to me is that Raw wasn't notably awful last night, just ... same as always. Yeah, they did another iteration of CAN THEY COEXIST for the main event, but it's not like they put on, say, a five-minute squash preceded by 25 minutes of stalling as the main event.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Of WWE's initial NIL class of 15, nine are white, so not really a bad ratio, though obviously the discourse there ain't in good faith. I also don't think they've revealed the terms of the deals, so while I *suspect* "exploit young college athletes" is a correct read on it just from WWE's past performance, it's possible they're actually getting paid decent cash. In reality, we don't even know if a WWE NIL deal means they ever even make it to the PC. There's at least two football players in there who are potential NFL draftees, and even literally the last draftee is making waaaaaay more than a WWE developmental talent (and even more than a lot of main roster types).

If this article is anything to go by, quite a few of the NIL signees have no interest in or understanding of wrestling -- for them, it's just another way for them to draw eyeballs and, hopefully at some point, money.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jason_demoe/status/1481732315629985795

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Now I’m wondering what Scotsman and CRZ are up to these days. I will not look into this further.

CRZ's forum, the-w.com, is still alive even though there are like four people who still post there. Based on the threads, the regulars seem barely aware AEW even exists.

How about John Petrie of Slobberknocker Central? I can't find anything about him other than a few archived recaps floating around.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Being a WWE fanboy means believing that AEW is both pathetic and dying but simultaneously has all-powerful influence over all media and could kill WWE at any moment

:umberto:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Wonder if anyone pointed out to him that WWF hired Leslie Nielsen to find the real Undertaker, or that Crash Holly hired Shaft to protect his Hardcore title.

Or more recently, Miz was eaten by zombies.

Or there was that time the Muppets were guest hosts of Raw. (I remember that night because Hager got the most heat he's ever gotten by holding Kermit's mouth shut.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheEnemiesPE3/status/1496184630575259655

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

Based on what I know and the supposed story, there's nothing racist about that mudshark, it's about an actual fish. Probably not the best idea to google it at work.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Zappa's song predates the use of "mud shark" as racist slang by quite a bit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/IAmGenuineOne/status/1501995070697922567

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

When alternate universe WWE has a big sale on citrus fruits it's called a Premium Lime Event.

Sounds like a good venue for Sheamus.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Should also note that some Black News Channel staff are saying the company has not paid out their final paychecks, which is indeed lovely behavior that should be called out ... but has nothing at all to do with Tony Khan or AEW. At least with the XFL, or the WBF, Vince was deeply involved.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Missing "x is not a draw/won't move the needle", "wonder when Tony will get bored of the toy", and endless talk about ratings because 50 million people aren't tuning in to watch Dynamite every week

The second one is often seen in the form of "New AEW Hire X will just be on Dark/Elevation within a couple of weeks."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/JobberNationTV/status/1547401191381942274?t=ruSBa7ppCMkwibhxPQxOzQ&s=19

Wouldn't usually post from the gimmick accounts but this is so beyond the pale and talking about themselves it's insane.

You just know that if Team Taz had won, Jobber would be claiming Starks isn't really black.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Everyone will forget about the Hardys run in a few... now. But Tony now has him doing an awesome swanton bomb on the concourse in their tape library!

The one person who benefits most from Jeff leaving? Nyla, because she'd added a swanton to her moveset shortly before Jeff signed up.

https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1501745987802574848

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

I can't tell if Alfred is just a typical twitter grifter or legitimately one of those "You're not x enough to be x race" type of racists. I just know that a lot of black wrestling twitter absolutely can't stand him

Well, there was the time he used race science to "prove" Eddie Kingston isn't a genuine Latino.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Is Booker trying to suggest that posing for sexy pics is as bad as doing whatever the hell Jeff Hardy puts into his body?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Black Adam and Namor are the only comic roles I imagine Rock having the look for.

Maybe there are some really good Black Adam centered comics out there.

Black Adam did get pushed as a major villain for a while, but if you're not a comics reader you'd have no idea who he is.

I still think the Rock should have made a Doc Savage movie. (Doc is a 1930s pulp hero who was nicknamed "The Man of Bronze" because he was deeply tanned from spending long periods in the tropics.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

xbilkis posted:

Under no circumstances would anyone ever say Tony Nese "has momentum"

Even if Tony Nese was standing at the top of a hill and someone pushed him?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Not only that, but also in a match in which you spend way too much time beating the poo poo out of the champion, coming off like you're loving King Kong.

Didn't Russo also book himself to beat Flair in a match where he spent ages in the Figure-Four without tapping?

I'm not sure if Russo actually booked it that way or if it was a typical late-WCW production screwup -- there was supposed to be a load of "blood" dropped on them while Russo was in the figure-four, but it took forever for the blood to actually fall.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

I interpreted it as body shaming, but racism is probably there too, yeah

I've also seen people equate Nyla with Nia Jax. Apparently all big brown women look the same.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Still want to know who the other jobbers named Uno are

Good Uno, Neutral Uno, Lawful Uno, and Chaotic Uno.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hirez posted:

Huge QT mark here. He was loving fantastic pre-show in Toronto - beast on the stick

I was at a show in DC when QT came out several times during Dark tapings accompanying Factory wrestlers, and every time he came out he'd antagonize the crowd more and more. When, later in the show, Hook suplexed him on the stage, the pop was amazing.

I was also at the show where he made Action Andretti into a star. He's a great wrestler and a great heel and I won't hear anything against him.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

These motherfuckers are so loving tiresome. It's always some fat middle aged white dude with a bloatee running in to breathlessly tell everyone that ACKSHUALLY TRUE STORYTELLING MASTERY IS SUBVERTING EXPECTATIONS with that same loving "I am the expert of everything" voice, while being so loving wrong it would be hard to be wronger if you tried.

And I am also so loving tired of some people who should know better agreeing with them. This is how we get poo poo like the ending of LOST, where writers are so afraid of being predictable that they take the dumbest, worst possible options in an effort to swerve the audience and end up loving over their whole story.

You don't even have to go outside of wrestling: that's how you get Vince Russo and his SHOCKING SWERVES that were all about making sure no dirt-sheet smark could say they guessed his finishes ahead of time, regardless of whether they made sense or were good booking.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Lol at being too gassed to break out of the rest hold, so the guy putting it on him starts struggling for him and then drops the hold without tyrus moving at all

It's not even supposed to be a rest hold -- the full nelson is his finisher (he's the former Chris Masters from WWE). And Tyrus can't even be arsed to sell it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'd also argue that Taker's best matches are mostly remembered for the other guys in them: HBK bumping like a superball, or Foley doing his stuntman act.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Hunter Hearst Helmsly"? And "Sable 42:DD" is the most embarrassing teenage level of horniness ever.

It's probably for the best that the little lettering over Goldust's name is unreadable.

On the other hand, it's funny that Jeff Jarrett is still using that JJ arrow logo in his AEW entrance video 25 years later.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 3, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MJeff posted:

CM Punk made the call to Bob Dot Warner.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Makes me think of Matanza in the last season of Lucha Underground, where he'd "sacrifice" jobbers in the ring and make them disappear from the roster forever (not long before the entire show disappeared forever).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The first wrestling show I watched was the February 21, 1999, Raw, the one that ended with Stephanie's teddy bear being set on fire. That was the middle of the whole Ministry of Darkness/Corporation angle, and yet I was somehow able to figure out enough of what was going on to continue watching until I was up to speed.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

If I can decipher it, I think they’re saying it’s dumb to do two trios matches as main events back to back unless it means The Elite vs CMFTR is coming next. But that’s being generous of course.

I think even Rampage is a trios main event too!

Rampage has a trios match on the card tonight, yeah, but the main event is Soup vs. Bandido.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

From a Cageside Seats thread fantasy-booking a Kenny Omega run in WWE:

Kenny Omega, completely unprepared for an opponent who can chop hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

post hole digger posted:

i go to css to read their rumor round up thing most days and man that m gomez guy sucks so bad. everything he writes is like that.

He's capable of the occasional good opinion but mostly it's just blatant trolling.