Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Tea Bone posted:

The Jonestown massacre, from wikipedia

The really chilling part is the audio tape With Jones encouraging the mass suicide and the sound of children screaming in the background. The entire thing is eerie as gently caress but the famous part starts at around 35:40.

:nms:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Peoples_Temple_Cult_Death_Tape_Q042.ogg:nms:

Every child you hear crying on this tape is about to die, most killed by their own parents. Completely crazy that one guy could bring people to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

dpack_1 posted:

Its interesting, so much so that you should go start it's own thread and not turn this one into a 4 page derail about that one subject.

I don't know about you but I prefer a post about an operation I've never heard about over the loving Bloop, which gets posted every 20 pages in threads like this. And which has been resolved.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I remember reading a story about an american pilot that was shot down after the bombs were dropped, and he was interrogated about them. Having no idea what they were, he just made up a story about new superweapons and how there were 100s of them in stock, in the hope of not getting killed and tortured too badly. So they sent a Japanese scientist, to get more technical details out of him. The scientist saw through his story right away, but wanted the war to end, so he just confirmed everything the captive said.

Anyone remember this?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Back of the Bus posted:

Holy crap; this was one of the most interesting documentaries I've ever seen. Frederic Bourdin seems like a mastermind. I would like to know more about the military condoned rape buffet that the FBI lady seemed to think was actually about Frederic's background. The video picks up the thread then drops it immediately after. That's both interesting and unnerving.

Edit - Along the same lines: Laurel Rose Wilson who claimed to be a satanic cult child abuse survivor, as well as claiming two of her children were killed to produce snuff films. She also pretended to be Laura Grabowski, a Holocaust survivor, so she might just be crazy.

Keep in mind that before anything else, the documentary is about an unreliable narrator, it's literally titled 'The Imposter' because you can't truly believe a word it's central character says. The only thing you can really establish about him is that he is a pathological liar.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I like reading this kind of threads so after a while the same things keep coming up over and over, but I'd never heard of this before:

Mass suicides in Demmin (Germany) during WW2

The coming of the Red Army to Germany triggered mass suicides everywhere, typically in 2 waves: One wave before the Russians were there, triggered by fear through Nazi propaganda, and another wave after the arrival of the Russians, when it became clear that for once the propaganda was real.

Demmin was apparently more pro-nazi than most places in Germany, and towards the end of the war had a native population of about 16000 and roughly the same amount of refugees. When the Russians came the remnants of the Wehrmacht in the town killed the Russian negotiators and promptly fled, after blowing up the bridges leading in to town, which effectively trapped the civilians. When the Russians marched into town there were still some fanatics shooting at them, including one schoolteacher who, after killing his wife and children, shot a panzerfaust at the Russians and hanged himself.

The Russians retaliated, or maybe would have behaved in this way regardless, and after 3 days of looting and raping not much was left of the town.

All this led to a mass panic (for good reason) and mass suicide attempts. You should really read the article but here are some quotes:

quote:

Several mothers killed their children before killing themselves, or walked into one of the rivers with a rock in a backpack and their babies in their arms. Some families committed suicide by walking into the rivers, tied together.

quote:

In another recorded case, a daughter cut the wrists of her parents

Estimates on deaths by suicide range from 700 to 2500 people over a 3 day period. After the war the mass suicide was made taboo in pro-Russian Eastern Germany.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

pookel posted:

Irish Travellers and the Roma are two completely separate ethnic groups, aren't they?

Yes, the wikipedia article about them is pretty interesting:

Origins of Irish travellers:

quote:

In 2011 an analysis of DNA from 40 Travellers was undertaken at the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin and the University of Edinburgh. The study provided evidence that Irish Travellers are a distinct Irish ethnic minority, who separated from the settled Irish community at least 1000 years ago; the claim was made that they are as distinct from the settled community as Icelanders are from Norwegians.[28] Even though all families claim ancient origins, not all families of Irish Travellers date back to the same point in time; some families adopted Traveller customs centuries ago, while others did so more recently.[29] It is unclear how many Irish Travellers would be included in this distinct ethnic group at least from a genetic perspective.

Origins of Romani communities

quote:

The linguistic evidence has indisputably shown that roots of Romani language lie in India: the language has grammatical characteristics of Indian languages and shares with them a big part of the basic lexicon, for example, body parts or daily routines.[89]

More exactly, Romani shares the basic lexicon with Hindi and Punjabi. It shares many phonetic features with Marwari, while its grammar is closest to Bengali

quote:

Genetic findings in 2012 suggest the Romani originated in northwest India and migrated as a group.[83][84][95] According to a genetic study in 2012, the ancestors of present scheduled tribes and scheduled caste populations of northern India, traditionally referred to collectively as the Ḍoma, are the likely ancestral populations of modern European Roma.[96] In December 2012, additional findings appeared to confirm the "Roma came from a single group that left northwestern India about 1,500 years ago,"[84] They reached the Balkans about 900 years ago,[83] and then spread throughout Europe. The team found that, despite some isolation, the Roma were "genetically similar to other Europeans."[83][84] The Romani are of Eurasian stock. Many Romani people have South Asian and European admixture.[97]

Genetic research published in European Journal of Human Genetics "has revealed that over 70% of males belong to a single lineage that appears unique to the Roma"[98]

Genetic evidence supports the mediaeval migration from India. The Romani have been described as "a conglomerate of genetically isolated founder populations",[99] while a number of common Mendelian disorders among Romanies from all over Europe indicates "a common origin and founder effect".[99][100] A study from 2001 by Gresham et al. suggests "a limited number of related founders, compatible with a small group of migrants splitting from a distinct caste or tribal group".[101] The same study found that "a single lineage ... found across Romani populations, accounts for almost one-third of Romani males."[101] A 2004 study by Morar et al. concluded that the Romani population "was founded approximately 32–40 generations ago, with secondary and tertiary founder events occurring approximately 16–25 generations ago.

As a continental European, I can confirm that racism in Europe is alive and kicking, mostly because people don't seem to be aware of it. My stereotypical view of racism in America is a white person hating black people and being proud of it. In Europe people will almost never think of themselves as a racist, while at the same time agreeing that gypsies are basically garbage in human form.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

How could someone not notice the gorilla?

It's all about the setup. Tell the audience you will do a great about concentration and ask them to pay close attention to how many times the ball if bounced around. In the group I was in more than half did not see a gorilla.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Madkal posted:

Thanks to Longform I found article courtesy of the Texas Monthly. A really bizarre situation where a teenager disappears in the 80's only to be found attending school on the other side of the country in the late 90's. Everything about this story is sad, especially the ending. It really brings into focus the lovely state of mental health care in the states.

You really need to watch The Imposter, a documentary with a similar premise.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

For 3 years in the 80s, Belgium was terrorized by a team of bandits who used highly excessive force for petty robberies such as grocery stores and gas stations. They likely made away with less than $200,000 but killed and tortured 28 people and wounded 40. One member, possibly the leader, may have been killed in their final raid, but his body was never found and nobody arrested has ever actually been connected with the crimes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

You should also mention that their extreme violence was directed at civilians and policemen, to really unprecedented levels, and how it (understandably) made the police in the area quickly adopt a 'shoot first, ask questions later' mode of operating. It really changed the country. Everyone growing up during the 90s will remember occasionally seeing the police drawings of the perpetrators, when there was a new drive to try and find them. At this point it's pretty safe to say we'll never know who was responsible or why it happened.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Speaking as a life long Juventus fan with a lot of family in Italy, this is still brought up today and is pretty fresh in the mind of a lot of fans. They're still building memorials to this very day, I'm pretty sure the last one was less than two or three years ago.

Similarly everyone in Belgium, even those that weren't born when this happened and don't care about football, knows about this.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Knormal posted:

The New York Times article has this picture of some of the bystanders, that one dude on the right just doesn't' give a gently caress about no assassinations.

He probably thinks that it's some elaborate candid camera thing because Ricky Gervais is sitting to his right.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I saw a documentary yesterday that is very much for this thread: God knows where I am (https://letterboxd.com/film/god-knows-where-i-am/).

A dead woman is found in a house that has been for sale for a while. It's obvious she's been dead for a while. Her diaries are found next to her. She got to the house in october and moved in, enjoying the solitude, and she managed to hide from the neighbours all the time by mostly going out at night. The house used to be a farm, so she lives of water from a nearby brook and apples from a few old apple trees. Shortly after getting to the house she is nearly discovered by the owners, who drop by occasionally to check if everything is in order. One of them thinks she sees someone standing in the windows, but they check every room and don't find her. Unfortunately the woman never writes down where she hid. She continues living in the house, waiting for someone whom she is convinced will come and find her on the first sunday of lent. She harvests as many apples as she can, but unfortunately that year (I think 2008), the winter is very harsh. She rations her apples so she would have enough to last until the first sunday of lent. As her supplies dwindle you can tell from her diaries she gets nervous about it, but at no time does she seek help from her neighbours, who live only 500 yards away. She can actually see them watching tv from her window at night.

The guy who was supposed to come and get her never comes, and on the 5th of december she eats her last apple. She keeps writing in her diary. Somewhere around the 18th of december she writes down what she wants to be done with her body after it is found. Because there is so much snow she can just crawl to the door and get some without expending too much energy, which is probably why she lived for so long.

Christmas comes, new years eve comes

"12th of january: Snow very dirty"

"13th of january: -"

That was the last entry in her diary.

She was schizophrenic and often refused to take her medicine. Thought the chinese maffia was out to get her (she worked at a chinese restaurant). She was comitted to a mental hospital but was discharged because she constantly refused treatment. None of her relatives (daughter, sister, best friend) was informed of her discharge. They thought she was still in the hospital when they heard about her death.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Here's another antiquated method of execution, popular in the 16th-18th century. It was usually done using cannons:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_from_a_gun

"The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some forty or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen."

That doesn't seem that bad tbh, quick, little chance of failure, most of the current execution methods in the US are worse than this I think.

The one I will always remember is a medieval technique where you hang a person upside down and just saw them in half with a huge saw. Supposedly the rush of blood to the head meant they could remain conscious quite a while before they passed out from blood loss.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Sarcopenia posted:

That one always gives me a very physical reaction and the paragraph about how polite she was always gets to me.

Hot take. Humans are garbage, trust no one.

You'll be happy to know that most of the people involved have been released for at least 2 years, including the woman who seems to be the principal torturer. Her time in prison might also not have been to bad, as she had an affair with the prison governor.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Varkk posted:

One of the cases covered in this thread may have had a killer identified.
The Brabant killers in Belgium conducted a series of armed robberies in the Early 1980s. A former policeman apparently confessed to being part of the gang shortly before he died.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/98167835/crazy-killer-confession-may-help-solve-30yearold-belgian-mystery

I wouldn't say it's cut and dry yet, but it really does seem like they finally identified one member of the gang. This is pretty huge in Belgium right now. And he wasn't just a of the police , he was a member of the police special forces, I guess more akin to SWAT in the US.

The guy's name also starts appearing as a possible suspect in the files in 1998, but was never seriously followed up on, even though he applied for leave on some of the days the killings took place etc.

There's always been rumours surrounding the gang and their motives, because they never seemed all that interested in money, just violence. Him being an outspoken right-wing racist gives a bit more credence to the theory that it was an attempt by right-wingers to destabilize the country and install a more authoritarian regime.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Tendai posted:

There is a movie called Nobody Knows that was inspired by or partially by this story. I watched it once, wept, and have never been able to watch it again. I really do recommend it though it's beautiful

I knew the story was familiar, thanks

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

This is almost incredible. I actually remember the kidnapping being in the news in Belgium when it happened.

quote:

Six months later, swayed by the victim’s vivid testimony and by lab tests on the semen taken from her body immediately following the attack, the German judge convicted Krombach of raping a minor, ordered him to surrender his medical license, and sentenced him to two years in prison. Then, citing Krombach’s lack of a criminal record in Germany and his prestige in the community, the judge suspended the sentence and set him free.

WTF Germany

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

It pisses me off that there is publick footage of the two brothers meeting in jail. There is no reason for anyone to ever see footage of a private moment like that.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Something strange is unfolding in Germany right now
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/13/three-people-shot-crossbow-german-hotel

3 people have been found dead in Paschau, all killed by crossbow bolts. One man in his fifties and two women in their thirties. One of the women and the man were found lying on a bed, with several crossbow bolts inside them. The other woman was next to the bed, with only a single bolt. She is believed to have killed the other two.

Now two more dead women have been found in the flat of one of the dead women, on the other side of Germany. No crossbows seem to have been involved here.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

1stGear posted:

This is probably the important thing. A lot of people will only interact with a small number of elderly people in their lives: their parents and grandparents. And if you're lucky (like I was with both sets of grandparents), they'll all pass still relatively mentally intact. So you never get a picture of the full horror that is dementia.

I've worked in healthcare the last few years and the opinion of every colleague that I've asked is that they were going to off themselves the moment their mind started going.

This is a point in Amour, by Michael Haneke. It is about an elderly Parisian couple where the woman has a stroke, after which she makes her husband promise her to not let her go to the hospital again, because she doesn't want to die in a hospital.
The husband has a conflict with his daughter, who visits them occasionally, but is unable to understand the enormity of the burden her father has to deal with.

Ending spoiler (don't read, just watch it, it's extremely good): When she is far gone, her husband sits by her bed, telling her a story, then smothers her with a pillow. He leaves the house to go buy flowers, puts them around her bed and leaves again.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

1stGear posted:

Should probably make sure it has a DNR then.

Fun anecdote, when my grandfather asked his doctor about having a DNR and asked for a form to get everything sorted, the doctor made a mistake and made him fill in and sign a form requesting euthanasia (which is legal to some extent where I live). Luckily it was quickly rectified.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Busket Posket posted:

The Most Gullible Man in Cambridge A Harvard Law professor who teaches a class on judgment wouldn’t seem like an obvious mark, would he?

Just... holy poo poo.

“Hay remains mystified about what the women really wanted from him. Money appears to be a factor but not necessarily the only one — after all, theirs was a long, expensive, and punitive game with no guarantee of a big payoff. Hay says Shuman once told him they’d targeted him for signing an open letter in late 2014 calling for more due process in Harvard’s Title IX proceedings. (Shuman denies ever saying this.) ‘I don’t know if that’s the real reason or something she made up later,’ says Hay. In May 2018, Hay received a barrage of text messages from an unknown number: ‘Find a way to connect if you want a chance to take the last exit before HELL … Take my word, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I promise. Oh and as to your quest for motives? Don’t bother. I just really hate the patriarchy, that’s it.’”

If a man this gullible can teach a class on judgment I think I'd end up frustrated with the patriarchy as well.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Busket Posket posted:

NdT is getting his shows back after the heat has died down from his multiple sexual harassment charges, so he’s back to full strength and going straight to Dr. Manhattan

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928?s=20

The 500 deaths due to medical error is also a massive overstimation.
https://www.sciencealert.com/no-500-people-don-t-die-in-the-us-every-two-days-due-to-medical-error

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

cinni posted:

We interrupt this pedo broadcast to bring you breaking horrific news from the daily mail:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7575595/Family-lived-Dutch-cellar-nine-years-discovered.html

Father and six adult children who lived in Dutch farmhouse cellar for NINE YEARS waiting for the 'end of times' are discovered after one escapes and asks for help in nearby bar

Well, they didn't really live in the cellar all the time, but the farm was super isolated and surrounded by trees so no one could see in or out. And there are conflicting reports whether the 'father' is really the father. But close enough!

"Dutch police have found a father and six 'adult children' living in the cellar of an isolated farmhouse waiting for the 'end of times'.

Officials found a secret staircase behind a cupboard leading down to the basement after they were called to the secluded property in the village of Ruinerwold in the northern province of Drenthe.

There they found a man lying in a bed and six adults aged between 16 and 25. Some of those freed 'had no idea that other people existed'.

Local media said the family were found after a 25-year-old entered a nearby pub in a confused state on Sunday, drank five beers and then asked for help, saying he had not been outside for nine years.

Police arrested a 58-year-old man at the scene for failing to cooperate with the investigation, but he was not the father.

Local news station RTV Drenthe, which first reported the story, said the family 'have been living in a basement for years, waiting for the 'end of times'.'

Drenthe police said: 'All scenarios are still open. Our research is in full swing and we cannot share more information at this time.' The location of the mother is unknown, but officials told RTV it's possible she's 'buried' on the farm.

'They lived an isolated lifestyle,' he said, adding that they had been living on the homestead for the past nine years and several of the children 'had not been taken up in the birthing register'.

The owner of the bar, Chris Westerbeek, told RTVDrenthe he had spoken to the 25-year-old man who told him he had 'run away and needed help. Then we called the police.'

He said the man, whose beard was 'dirty' and hair unkempt, said that he had been inside for nine years and that he wanted to end the way his family were living. "

Some more info from reliable Belgian newspapers:
The land was owned by someone else, who brought in supplies for the family (necessary, since the father has been bedridden with a stroke for the last 3 years), this person is also arrested and not cooperating with the police. He was known locally as 'the Austrian' because he spoke German. It seems like the landowner had a conflict with the 25y old, which may have stopped supplies from arriving. That's problaby why the oldest was going to the outside world to look for help. The family was found in a separate room, only accessible through a staircase hidden behind a cupboard, they are all between 18 and 25. There were security cameras on the property. People in the neighbourhood assumed it was a drug plantation.

The 25y old had started visiting the pub, it was on his third visit that the police have been called. On his first visit he seemed very impressed by the 'flashing discolights and general atmosphere'. He claims never to have gone to school (homeschooling is quite common with conservative dutch christians i think). The 25y old was looking for help, but didn't know where to start, didn't have ID (mandatory for all adults in the Netherlands), so nobody could help him. One of the men in the bar offered him a job. The pub owner claims the 25y old spoke in a child-like manner (there's no mention of him speaking German, so I'd assume he spoke Dutch).

According to the 25y old 'daylight was evil', he also kept referring to 'Het zware geloof', which translates more or less to a 'faith that's heavy to bear'.

Also note: Meppel lies within the 'Dutch bible belt', where you will regularly find ultraconservative christians

A less reliable newspaper has started reporting that the 25y old has online profiles (Facebook, LinkedIn) set up or reactivated in June this year, and that he has posted about starting a job in a company linked to the personal business of the German-speaking guy who has been arrested. He has no friends on facebook and posts about nature, the climate strikes and Greta Thunberg.

kanonvandekempen has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Oct 16, 2019

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

Some more info from reliable Belgian newspapers:
The land was owned by someone else, who brought in supplies for the family (necessary, since the father has been bedridden with a stroke for the last 3 years), this person is also arrested and not cooperating with the police. He was known locally as 'the Austrian' because he spoke German. It seems like the landowner had a conflict with the 25y old, which may have stopped supplies from arriving. That's problaby why the oldest was going to the outside world to look for help. The family was found in a separate room, only accessible through a staircase hidden behind a cupboard, they are all between 18 and 25. There were security cameras on the property. People in the neighbourhood assumed it was a drug plantation.

The 25y old had started visiting the pub, it was on his third visit that the police have been called. On his first visit he seemed very impressed by the 'flashing discolights and general atmosphere'. He claims never to have gone to school (homeschooling is quite common with conservative dutch christians i think). The 25y old was looking for help, but didn't know where to start, didn't have ID (mandatory for all adults in the Netherlands), so nobody could help him. One of the men in the bar offered him a job. The pub owner claims the 25y old spoke in a child-like manner (there's no mention of him speaking German, so I'd assume he spoke Dutch).

According to the 25y old 'daylight was evil', he also kept referring to 'Het zware geloof', which translates more or less to a 'faith that's heavy to bear'.

Also note: Meppel lies within the 'Dutch bible belt', where you will regularly find ultraconservative christians

A less reliable newspaper has started reporting that the 25y old has online profiles (Facebook, LinkedIn) set up or reactivated in June this year, and that he has posted about starting a job in a company linked to the personal business of the German-speaking guy who has been arrested. He has no friends on facebook and posts about nature, the climate strikes and Greta Thunberg.

Quoting myself again here because some interesting things have come up. The story is way more complicated than newspapers have been reporting so far.
This is the wikipedia page of the father of the family, he calls himself John Eagles (In christianity, John the evangelist is always represented by an eagle. Marc is a lion, Matthew is an angel/human and Luke is a bull). Fortunately for everyone here, he posts in English. The article where I found this also mentions a home-made wiki with thousands of entries, but the link from his facebook page isn't working so I assume it's taken down
https://www.facebook.com/john.eagles.7
http://eagle-rock.org/index.php/ I think this was supposed to be the wiki page but it looks like it was taken down.
EDIT: his wiki is back up again, looks like it had just crumbled under the sudden attention.

kanonvandekempen has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Oct 21, 2019

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Whooooole bunch of dead people found in a truck in England:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-50197691

The people were thought to be Chinese first, because they all had chinese passports, but it seems like a lot of them were Vietnamese travelling with fake Chinese ID. Facebook messages have started surfacing, one of a 24-year old woman telling her mother that 'the trip didn't succeed, that she loved her and that she couldn't breathe anymore.' The last thing she messages is her full name and where she was born, apparently to make sure she's buried in the right way.

It's heartbreaking to think that these people had means of communicating with pretty much everyone in the world while at the same time being unable to be saved.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Hedningen posted:

Hey, I can kinda comment on this! I had a breakdown that presented similarly enough to Cotard that it’s easier to just explain it that way, and I’m beyond lucky that it’s under control right now and I’ve only had one recurrence since a pretty serious inpatient stay.

It’s an absolute nightmare. I was fully convinced that I was dead, but that I had to never admit it because then the curtains would draw back and I would be tortured in the hell I’d slid into. Lost most of my sense of taste, spent my time half-sleeping because real rest would give them a chance to begin the real tortures, and got a horrible hypersensitivity to temperature. Truly bizarre stuff that seemed perfectly rational to me - like figuring out which clothes I’d died in and wearing them would disguise me and that cleaning them would remove the last vestiges of my soul and finalize my condemnation to hell - made it impossible to function. It took a lot to get me to even accept that my worldview was distorted, because there’s just a great certainty that I’d figured it out and denying it would be like claiming the sky was green.

It was the worst loving time of my life, and I’m glad I got help, because it’s still a long-rear end process to manage it and I never want it to happen again, but I always worry that I’ll end up hitting a trigger and sliding into a delusional state again. Which, of course, leads to hyper-vigilance about everything and having this weird sword of Damocles hanging over my head.

This is super interesting, and I'd love to hear more about it. What are the kind of things you have to be vigiliant about to prevent yourself from slipping away into the delusion again? How did you manage to get out of it?
Obviously don't worry about it if you're not comfortable talking about it here.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

The Golden Gael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPg5mPY4nLo

This might not be unnerving, but it certainly harkens back to Killdozer. Meet Jose Bove, a crazy French farmer who decided to tear down a McDonald's with his tractor to protest American tariffs on cheese.

It's sort of misleading to represent him as a 'crazy french farmer'. His parents were highly educated. His father was a member of the French academy of the sciences. He lived in the US with his parents for a while as a child his parents were teaching at Berkeley. As a young man he became involved with counterculture anarchist organisations in France. In 1976 he joined a group of farmers in their protest against the construction of a military base in their area, and after this he became a farmer himself. So to characterise him as a 'simple farmer who stood up against the evil corporate machine is a bit misleading, he is well-educated, and he was politically active before he became a farmer. I imagine he sort of cultivates this image himself, as it makes him more sympathetic.

To clarify, I'm not opposed to his anti-globalist ideology for the most part, although I think his anti-GMO stance is ridiculous and he's said some things about how attacks on mosques are actually a false flag operation by the Israeli intelligence agency that I obvioulsy do not agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Sir Not Appearing posted:

That story just made me remember one within the past couple years that I lost track of just after the news broke. A 20-something guy ended up in a bar that nobody knew and turned out his family had been living on a property that was secluded and no modern amenities, yet the actual owner of the house had cameras on the property and when the story first broke it was speculated that they may have been forced to live there by the owner for "reasons".

Anyone remember this? I'd like to read about what was actually going on once an investigation took place.

The place was called Ruinerwold, so if you google 'Ruinerwold family' you'll find some english language articles i bet.

From a Dutch article of september this year it seems that the children have been moved and given new identities to protect them. They younger kids seem to be upset about being separated from their dad, whereas the older kids are angry at their father and the isolation he imposed. Dad is in prison, but he had a stroke in 2016 so he doesn't really communicate all that well anymore. He pleads not guilty.