Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fix posted:

Hello gentlegoons. Selling some Nids over here. Probably another army or two as well.

You know the game is in a sad state when even Fix is selling off stuff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cooked Auto posted:

Lost the chance of getting a Mars Pattern Leman Russ hull as a command tank by getting sniped at the last second. :arghfist::sigh:
Back to bidding for random bitz then I guess.

I bought a Stygies Vanquisher turret and Mars hull from Forgeworld very shortly before they stopped selling both of them. It makes a loving badass command tank. They have so many cool things they've stopped making, it really sucks.

China might still be making them though :china:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cooked Auto posted:

I still have a Gryphonne IV Vanquisher turret or a Demolosher waiting to get a body aside from the crapRuss that I've got still soaking. In this case it was just the hull and no turret.

Also you sure about that because I can find the Stygies Vanquisher turret on FW still. Although I think they've stopped making the Gryphonne turret. Now the Mars pattern hull is sort of the same but that's only the Krieg one that's available, and even then its usually a complete kit or such.

Oh my bad you're right they do still make the Stygies turret. They used to have Mars hulls by themselves until a year or two ago though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
That scorpion is loving incredible.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DJ Dizzy posted:

Misfortune

150 conscripts.

Awarded a medal for efficiency.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

CyberLord XP posted:

I'm working on some barrels for Necromunda terrain and I'd like an opinion.

Should I do warning labels on all of them, just a few, or ditch them altogether?

I think those are pretty neat! I'd probably just leave it at 2-3 though. It kinda places them in the modern day but it's not totally out of place and really who cares? It's a fun little detail especially if you know what they mean.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

big_g posted:

I've been following this thread since its first incarnation burning spiders in the name of the Emperor in GBS, but rarely post as I tend to stick to the scale modelling thread. I've just been working on a Tau Ghostkeel though and as it's just about done I thought I would share some pictures. Just a small snagging list then it's done.

A good robot in a good post.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

holy crap the Chinese are getting advanced

They've been putting out recasts that are higher quality than anything you'd get directly from Forgeworld for years. And the resin recasts of plastics are almost as good as the originals. Once you've painted up a resin recast knight anybody is gonna have an extremely difficult time telling the difference unless you weigh it maybe.

Actual plastic sprues are pretty neat though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

T.G. Xarbala posted:

But if GW shuts down, won't their stuff become collector's goods by default?

None of this stuff is worth poo poo unless there's a game to back it up.

MAYBE unbuilt models of certain cool things would be a collector's item but I seriously doubt the market for used 40k stuff would get better.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just got my hands on a recast kit but have no clue what extra care needs to be used with this stuff.

All I know is the dude I got it from, got it from China and that you have to be extra careful. Any tips before I poison myself ?

I mean there's really no way of knowing what they used. It could be deadly nerve toxin or something safer than what Forgeworld uses, who knows!

I do know that I put a bunch of them together and I appear to have been unscathed. But yes like BlackIronHeart said just observe normal resin safety and don't hit it with a belt sander and then huff all the dust.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
About 10,000 posts behind and a couple years out of the loop. I just saw the thread title and checked the GW website. The new edition FAQ seems promising. Did someone take the GW execs' families hostage and force them to be more straightforward with the community?

Is GW better now or does everything still turn to poopy ash when they touch it?

edit: I missed all y'all (formerly ghetto wormhole here)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I am very excited to play 40k again. I wish the Imperial Guard preview went into a little more detail than "a bunch of units are good now!"

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

raverrn posted:

Not only that, you can apparently slap silencers on them.

I would like to know more.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
All marines should be male but they should also all have huge tits.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

moths posted:

Wow B&C is useless garbage. "Per mod request, leaked rules now scattered across several threads."

Does anyone have a link to the whole thing?

TheChirurgeon posted:

seriously, what loving idiot mod thought it was a good idea to have a separate thread for each fuckin phase?

Every 40k forum is run by the dumbest motherfuckers on the face of the earth.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
This whole game is Very Problematic.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Der Waffle Mous posted:

edit: Is this :filez: if its a book that's been obsolete for 15 years?

AFAIK the mods don't really give a poo poo if it's something you can't buy anymore.

Really as long as you're not uploading high quality scans of entire current books nobody is gonna care.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
One hostage will die for every hour that the Imperial Guard rules are not leaked.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
FW said all of their rules will be out by the end of June.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

xtothez posted:

I remember reading a fuzzy scan showing a special rule for russes where they take mortal wounds for misfiring plasma weapons instead of exploding.

Edit: it looks like this is just for the Tank Commander Russ, not the regular one :(

Emergency Plasma Vents, take 6 mortal wounds and it can't fire plasma cannons for the rest of the game. The regular Leman Russ probably has the rule too it's just cut off in the picture.

Although 6 mortal wounds is still pretty fuckin' brutal. Fortunately there's that order you can give them that rerolls 1s to hit.

Tank commanders have a 3+ to hit so Vanquishers might be pretty good command tanks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Awww damnit, they made the Deathstrike Missile real lovely now. One shot 3d6, 4+ to hit, then each hit is a mortal wound. Then you roll a d6 for each unit within 6" to and they take d3 mortal wounds on a 4+. That's like 5.25 wounds on average? What a fuckin' joke.

And it's harder to activate!

edit: It actually might be pretty good (or at least funny) for nuking expensive characters but it's garbage against weak troops lol

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 31, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

xtothez posted:

So.... check these matched play rules

The way I read that, you need to keep reserve points for everything restored or summoned. Even Necrons will have to pay for units brought back from Reanimation Protocols.

It's only referring to whole units so unless Reanimation Protocols do something entirely different than before Necrons should be safe.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Crazy Ferret posted:

I've not gone though all the sheets yet, but did the Vendetta disappear? I see the Valkyrie in the guard but it does not have the options to turn it into the Vendetta.

It may be one of those "wait for Forgeworld" things but I thought everything that currently was in the books was going to get updated.

As far as I can tell it is indeed gone. Technically FW are the ones who produce the kit option for the Vendetta so it's probably in their book.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SteelMentor posted:

Forge World's timing the release of their Imperial and Chaos books for the edition release, then all the Xenos stuff will be out steadily until the end of the month.

Has FW said if they're releasing their rules as books or for free online?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The volcano cannon on the Shadowsword is S16 now!

Am I missing a rule or can battleforged armies bring detachments from different armies so long as the detachments are made up of units from the same faction? IE a Necron detachment and a Chaos Daemon detachment in the same army?

Also is there anything stopping you from taking so many auxiliary support detachments that you have zero or negative command points? Other than that you won't have any command points to use obviously.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

Every unit in a battleforged army has to share a faction keyword.

And, I don't think it says you can't have negative command points.

Thanks, I finally found it. Says it on p.214 in the matched play rules which is a ways before the battleforged rules.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

PantsOptional posted:

RIP power armor inquisitors, apparently.

Inquisitors seem pretty garbage now. 55 points base, they get to choose a pistol and a ranged or melee weapon (but not both!) No power armor or any other upgrades. I guess they can be a psyker for free now though? I'd rather have all the customization instead.

Also why would anyone ever take wyrdvane psykers over an astropath? For 15 points the Astropath removes the cover bonus from an enemy unit within 18" and can actually have a decent chance of casting his non-smite power. A minimum size unit of wyrdvane psykers costs 24 points and can't pass psychic tests worth a poo poo. For 48 points they can be slightly better at passing psychic tests but still worse than a regular psyker...until they get blown off the board because they're T3 models that can't hide like a character can. I guess they don't have a chance of rolling perils and dying from that at least?

Primaris psyker seems ok but his improved statline and force stave isn't really worth paying 40 points when he still isn't going to do well in real combat and I could just get two astropaths for 30 points and cast two powers instead of one.

An astropath backing up a Leman Russ or conscript blob with psychic barrier would be pretty sweet for really cheap.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

chutche2 posted:

The astropath costs 21, but yeah. Seems good.

Switch his staff out for a laspistol and save 6 points. He's got a better chance of hurting something with the laspistol anyway.

edit:
Ministorum priests are about the same as before, so meh, but even less potentially useful now that regular guard blobs are gone. Might be ok-ish with bullgryns now actually!

Techpriests are much more resilient than before and don't have to pay the servitor tax to repair stuff. Not too bad not too good either. Why is a servo arm 12 points???

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 1, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Corrode posted:

Yes this. I still don't see what was wrong with USRs conceptually - yes there were too many niche things which were USRs, but the basic concept of "when a rule is generic it should be defined once and referenced everywhere" is a good one. The current version is like if you reprinted the movement rules on every dataslate for ~easy reference~.

Agreed. They definitely needed to clean house and get rid of the 54 USRs which were only used by like 2 units each (Zealot and poo poo) but the concept itself just makes sense.

fake edit: I'm the flayed ones' charnel pocket-dimension. :gibs:

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 2, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Zaphod42 posted:

The leaks didn't include anything for renegades and traitors, so that'll be interesting to see.

Forgeworld not the regular indexes that got leaked. I doubt we'll see anything from those until it's actually shipped to customers.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Endman posted:

I would unironically love a race of space frogs to join my Guard as abhuman auxiliaries.

Forgeworld's got you covered! https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Daemon-Plague-Toads-of-Nurgle

Yeast posted:

Not to poo poo on you dude, but a squad of infantry was shot by 4 pieces of artillery and died, I think that's - to be expected?

Yeah 2 Manticores and 2 Basilisks will kill most things in one turn!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 5, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Huh, Forgeworld is still including rules for the Dominus Siege Bombard in the new index despite it never having a model. Even in 6th and 7th editions I don't think there was anything else that remained in the rules unmodeled that I can think of?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Painting for profit is basically impossible unless you're very good AND very fast. Even if she's an accomplished artist she's never done miniatures before so it's pretty silly to say she should sign on with a professional company. And really the only one of those I've heard of was Blue Table Painting which was essentially a first world sweatshop pumping out poo poo quality paint jobs.

By all means try and make a little side cash painting, but do it on your own terms.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
BROKEN LOOSE, BROKEN LOOSE, BROKEN LOOSE!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

TKIY posted:

I read that after the obvious ones (starter set armies so DG and SM/Primaris) the armies that didn't get a proper 7th edition Codex were up next and that's mainly Orks and Nids.

Looking at the list Orks are the first 7th ed codex?

It would be Tyranids, Eldar, and IG/AM I think.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

panascope posted:

Warhammer 40k: I drat near glued my dick to my leg

It's gotta be this, no other choice.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Thundercloud posted:

At my local club the super beardy 40k tournament players have all quit because they can't take formations that give them 800 points of free stuff anymore.

Wait, there are people who actually *liked* formations? I was largely out of 40k during 7th and a lot of 6th when they were a thing but I always thought they were a really lovely annoying way of doing things.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The consequence of rolling a six is that "the model suffers D6 mortal wounds". Mortal wounds spill over, so if the model is killed then the extra mortal wounds continue to move on. The thing that really interests me is that, for Orks, is one of the most viable ways to inflict mortal wounds on a target. Orks seem to be really good at doing lots of damage to hordes, but suffer against monstrous creatures and vehicles. As variable as this weapon is it definitely seems like it could do some serious damage to nearly anything. The other advantage is that it protects anything inside it (like Lootas) with 30 wounds at T10. Another option that appeals to me is to look at Plasma Obliterators fitted with 10 lootas. The fortification is only 190 points (versus 430 for the missile strongpoint), but it really runs the risk of hurting itself with a mortal on wound on every 1 in 2d6 attacks.

The thing that really gets me about the Vortex Missile is that it has the potential to be absolutely terrifying. On average it's going to do 4.8 mortal wounds per turn (3.5 Shots/Turn * 33% Hit Chance * (3.5 + (1/6)*3.5) Mortal Wounds / Hit). To put that into context here are some other weapons going up against a T8, 2+ save target (Land Raider):

SM Lascannon: (4/6)*(4/6)*(4/6) = 1.0
IG Battlecannon: (3.5)*(3/6)*(3/6)*(3/6)*(2) = 0.9
Deathstrike Missile: (10.5)*(3/6) = 5.3

So on average you're doing the equivalent of the output of a Land Raider, or about 90% the damage of a Deathstrike Missile. Every turn. Against anything. Meanwhile your opponent has to chew through 30 wounds at T10/3+ in order to stop it (and the BS never degrades).

I really like it, especially for protecting a large shooting unit like Lootas. If the Big Mek rules didn't require that you repair vehicles of the same clan it would be even better.

I'm so mad about how bad the Deathstrike is. And it's equally bad against everything! For 163 points you get to kill 5.3 grots or take 5.3 wounds off of a knight. What a loving rancid pile of poo poo. You're going to do about the same amount of wounds (albeit with armor saves) with the stock heavy bolter over the course of the game! And you have to roll an 8+ on a d6+turn to even be able to fire the loving thing. gently caress you whoever wrote this poo poo, you loving suck at your job.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Geoff Zahn posted:

Flamers really should have a rule like "an additional D3 hits if unit has 10+ models" or something

Blast weapons badly need this in general. Their potential number of hits is WAY down in 8th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeast posted:

Feel free to use any of these for the Guard/Astra Militarum

These are :krad:

I *love* the FW Hellhounds. And the Leman Russ Tank Destroyer is sweet too.

Those are exactly what I've always wanted my Steel Legion to look like but :effort:

• Locked thread