Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fix posted:

It does not appear that there is any change to the initiative penalty.

quote:

A unit that contains at least one model with this special rule rolls an extra D6 when rolling to move through difficult terrain and is not slowed by charging through difficult terrain.

But initiative is the speed or order in which you strike in close combat. Ergo, vis-a-vis not being slowed by charging through terrain, you can strike at the same initiative order!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apoc supplements that go over specific battles by forces. Supplements that define a specific army at a specific time. Unbound armies.

The future just got historical.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fix posted:

So Germ just pointed out to me that the Aegis line is gone from this book, which means that if you want one you have to get it from the Stronghold book which is…eh... not exactly the best-written collection of clean rules in the universe.

For example, there's now technically no limit to the number of quad guns you can buy for one.

Unless I miss something, you can only take one battlement & battlefield upgrade per fortification (see page 18), so no you can't take unlimited quad guns. Stronghold Assault works really well IMO.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 24, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arson Fire posted:

I have come to the conclusion that there aren't enough bugs in this thread. I'll help out.

All I see are nids with lightsabers. Awesome work!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty much, though they do have all the turret and sponson options in the kit (original LRBT kit only had HB sides and a Las front). Guess it's a trade off.

If you only want Dozer Blades there are a bunch of 3rd party manufacturers who make those, e.g. Puppetswar http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=71 - however they're not that much cheaper than just getting the sprues.
To be fair, that the sprue hasn't been a part of the lemon russ kit for quite a while now (last codex).

ijyt posted:

Personally I'm surprised that gargoyles aren't going for less than 50% off RRP.
What's wrong with gargoyles? (I just rounded out my army with 30).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DO IT TO IT posted:

I use them, but don't play Skyblight. I just make a big stupid line of them across my deployment and use them as meatshields until they die. It's silly how many times people will spend their entire turn 1 just gunning down 15 unupgraded gargoyles and not even looking at the more important stuff.

For laughs I took a chunky unit of gargoyles in front of a brood of 3 CC carnifex. Cheap as hell.

Opponent took his 5 man kitted out thunderwolf squad, charged into the gargoyles because they were in the way, and killed them all. So I charge in, smash attack with 9 attacks rerolling to hit all at S10 to instakill the entire squad in one go. Best thing ever.

I was a fan of the ultralisk/zergling build in starcraft.

quote:

I just noticed they severely nerfed Blind. It now works like a grounding test - a single roll made at the and of the phase regardless of how many Blind attacks were successful. So Gargoyles can't benefit from it on the turn they charged, and there's a good chance most units will just pass the single test anyway.

Seriously? I would say they are taking the "throw changes at the wall and see what sticks" approach, except that they scrap the wall clean every other day!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ijyt posted:

It'll only be 3 smash attacks now, because monstrous creatures shouldn't be too monstrous. :shobon:

While true, adrenal glands on CC Monsters are a no brainer because fleet is SOOO loving worth not rolling snake eyes. Furious Charging carnifex with D3 S9 autohits at I10 should be enough to deal with most tanks.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They limited the magic power dice in Fantasy to 12 for a reason. I'm surprised they don't have the same thing in 40k.

At least they fixed the burning chariot!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Genghis Cohen posted:

The funny thing is the mullet and vest. The less funny is that that army would probably be about 500 points in WHFB by now. Number of models in an 'average' game has multiplied in both 40k and Fantasy.

What? That's easily 1500 points, even if you assume one of the blocks are marauders (and are 6x3), and the knights are marauder horsemen. The only illegal thing in the list is you need a minimum of three ogres/trolls in a unit.

US PLAYERS are the ones that insist on huge point games. 1500 works fine. It's just like fantasy when every butt-hurt daemon player had to up the points from 2000 to 2400 to fit in the most broken mage in the game.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 25, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Genghis Cohen posted:

@ LordAba: you sure mate? He's got like 60 infantry in blocks, while every fantasy army I've ever seen played has 100+. I don't know much about the different armies, maybe my assumption was wrong.

Oh yeah, a 6x3 squad of chaos warriors with full command is 282 without any other upgrades. The chariot plus the 4 characters (assuming they are only hero level, not lord level) are 550 points.

Honestly, points haven't changed too much over the last three editions. There are always exceptions, but core Tac squads are about the same. Rogue Trader and 2nd edition are different beasts. It's just points per game have shot up in Fantasy because people want to include broken combos.

[edit] I should note that fantasy undead armies had their troop points chopped drastically because of how fear used to work. If you caused fear, outnumbered the enemy, and won combat the enemy would auto-break, which could cause huge bullshit. So you had skeletons, who basically have the stats of conscripts, at ~11 points/model is I remember right.
The new edition had fear work differently, so now they are around 5 points and priced roughly right for the stats (though zombies/ghouls are generally seen as better).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 25, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Because thats the way it is in Fantasy. One ruleset to rule drown them all.

Meh, the fantasy magic phase has its flaws, but it's actually pretty neat. The psker phase doesn't sound as interesting... instead of playing against the enemies dispel dice and wizard level like in fantasy, it's more "what are the odds of a power going off vs the odds of getting perils" since your opponent doesn't have any real actions other than throw all the dice at it.

Actually, can a Deny the Witch roll fail because you throw too much dice at it?

Plus fantasy has modification for shooting because of cover, not cover saves. :P

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AgentF posted:

90 free summoned models by Turn 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMAAP6HWfw

Welcome to 7th Ed.

I could only make it 4 minutes in. Anyone want to summarize?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

From a tournament standpoint you're screwing yourself with the All Daemons All the Time list. It took those guys six hours to play a full game, and most tournament slots don't go past four. Even granting that you'll get batter at massive Deep Strikes with practice, there's still a really good chance that you'll never complete a full game. And short games prevent you from getting all those new Daemons into play.

What screwing yourself? I'm not sure how the new phase works, but wouldn't a daemon player be able to take monstrous fliers/chariots, zoom over to enough objectives to win a game, and create a ton of daemons on them? Then slowplay by creating a million units of daemons with the rest of your force. Heck, can't you summon screamers/flamers who can jump on objectives as well? You might only make it to turn three, but you would have a big advantage.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

Whatever. I like gaming and I loathe other people’s drama, and I find that mixed gaming groups tend to have way more drama than male-only groups and that drama tends to make gaming groups explode, which is why I’ve run so many unfinished campaigns. The drama really gets in the way of the gaming. In fact, I’ve been getting way more into wargaming and getting away from RPGs just because there’s so much less drama with the almost entirely male wargaming scene.

There is a girl in my shop right now, so of course one of the group comes up to me and says "I'VE NEVER SEEN A [i]GIRL[/i} LIKE THAT BEFORE". I almost walked out.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

Oh, only MY vehicles can take damage like that?

It won't have that much of an impact, honestly. You should be able to charge out of normal flamer range anyways, and heldrakes will still vector strike+flamer guys over just flaming guys. Nobody is going to load up on hellhounds and the pipeline terrain pieces just to counter the ork/dark eldar threat.

However it is still a random poo poo change that just punishes orks and dark eldar for no reason seeing as those armies aren't very strong on their own. Coupled with the assault out of closed vehicle changes it seems GW loves random rules for the sake of random rules.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ $78 USD.

Tadhg posted:

That's the project, yup! Still not commercially available, it looks like, which makes me sad. The scrapyard board is exactly what I want for my Orks to play on.

I;ll be sure to take pictures once they do come in. It looks like they are leaving china at the end of the month, so another two months after that? Bleh shipping: you would think it would be easier to make it in the US and not deal with a boat getting kidnapped by pirates.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

Re: Orks. Why aren't you skipping transports all together and taking loads of Shoota Boys? I still don't understand why hordes of Shoota Boys aren't a list that is often discussed. That it is not fun at all to paint hasn't stopped Imperial Guard hordes, that it isn't fun to play hasn't stopped other horde players.

Some people don't want to run green tide but trukk/transport heavy? Marines, tau, and eldar have multiple builds, why not orks?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Holy poo poo, Stompa, Meka Dread, Mega Dread(s), Gork/Morkanauts, Deff Dreads, and Killa Kanz :orks101: . Walker lists are going to be even more hilarious now, if completely glanced to death.

We will see what happens with the KFF, but it should be an epic list. Are MANz bulky or extra bulky?

A Stompa filled with Gork/Morkanauts, each filled with MANz.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question time: where can bastions be deployed? Valedor tyranid terrain apoc only?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 28, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the whole difficult terrain thing was justified by "let's be cautious in these woods because enemies might be near" and not "let's not sprain anything".

Eh, either way the game is about calculated risks. Some of the stuff can be too random, but for the most part it works.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adamantium|wang posted:

:psyduck:

One step forward and three steps back.

From what I've read it seems like all the terrain rules are basically worse than before...

Someone mentioned that you can only put fortifications in your deployment zone, is that true?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reynold posted:

I would really like this to be the case. Not that I've ever encountered people abusing the system before, but reading about poo poo like an ADL being deployed midfield to grant your advancing troops cover saves and people racing to bastions and poo poo always struck me as one of those cheesy WELL TECHNICALLY I CAN DO THIS strategies that should be slapped down.

I feel the opposite. Let's buff shooting armies with high AV buildings while offering almost no benefit to orks/tyranids/etc.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xtothez posted:

Nids could do a pretty cheeky build under 6E with Stronghold Assault:

Take a Bastion or Redoubt and place it in the middle of the table. Add an escape hatch behind it, on the edge of your deployment zone. Then either include a void shield upgrade and/or an ammo dump on the battlements. Infiltrate some Genestealers inside and go second if possible. The Genestealers can disembark and threaten an assault up to 18" from the building thanks to Repel the Enemy.
You then move a Venomthrope with attached Prime through the escape hatch. You can now measure 6" Shrouded aura and 12" Synapse from the building itself, to help the rest of army move through the centre of the board. Now follow up by moving some Hive Guard through the escape hatch onto the battlements. They can shoot anything within 24" of the centre of the board ignoring cover + line of sight. If you took the ammo dump they can reroll hits of 1, if not they're protected by a void shield and 2+ cover save.

The building also provides emplaced weapons (some very useful anti-air in the case of the Redoubt) to be fired by the Venom+Prime.

Woah, I didn't think of using the escape hatch to slap some models inside. Though a part of me always debated sticking genestealers in for the charge versus lictors for larger area mawloc strikes.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

I'm actually surprised at the accuracy of the description for Necromunda at the end of that article.

NECROMUNDA had nothing to do with the story except that it was used as an alibi. The evil war game player killed someone because he was essentially jealous of his ex-wife's boyfriend.

Then again, it's the Daily Mail.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Tyranids aren't that worrisome in the psychic phase because all of their psykers are 170+ points or Zoanthropes which are in the most hotly-contested FOC slot, granted that's not much of an issue anymore now that we can have as many FOCs as we like. Still, having more than one Zoanthrope per brood is a bad idea because they're a Brotherhood so you don't get extra dice.

Maybe back a couple editions when more transports were being taken and hive guard didn't have a nerf and ymgarl genestealers/doom were still a thing the elite slot was being filled. Now-a-days, not so much.

Zoanthropes only get one dice, but are still good in broods. Three powers (I guess; warp blast+random+primaris) and they provide some nice AP2 shooting for anti-vehicle.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Venomthropes are fantastic, and Hive Guard are still one of our only forms of high strength shooting without being a Tyrannofex and 200+ points, or an easily failed/denied psychic power that still has to roll to hit. Ignoring Jink saves is also pretty valuable, even despite their BS nerf and price rise.

Zoanthropes are ML2 Brotherhoods, so they generate 2 dice.

I agree that venomthropes are worth it, but but running two broods is too much IMO. The changes to zoanthropes and hive guard make the them darn near even: an average of 3 S8AP4 ignore cover vs 2 S10AP2 lance.
The new edition lets zoanthropes can cast 2 powers now I believe. Plus vehicles being a bit more resistant to pen hits. Hive guard are certainly good, but zoanthropes are equal (when last edition hive guard were the no brainer choice).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Direwolf posted:

Alright, so with my shock at my Ravenwing turning into mush, it's been forever since I've run Deathwing, what do we think of this list:

Where you using the 5+ cover save so much? Most of the guns on the ravenwing are twin-linked so snapshots are less of a pain, and you can still cover units with other units I believe. Does jinx stop you from charging the next turn? The stealth speeders will still help you out.
If you use the random objectives bikers should be fairly powerful. If you like ravenwing I would recommend giving them a shot still.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slimnoid posted:

So on the plus side, they went down in points, dedicated transport option, more shots on their guns, no gets hot, possibility for BS3 if they don't move, and can reroll a single charge dice.

On the negative side, no S6, no ignore cover, their save got worse (6+ from a 4+), and no options beyond ammo runts. No painboy, no cybork bodies, nuttin'.

So what will end up happening, is that unless you stick their happy asses in a fortification or something, they will most likely cruise around in a battlewagon firing unreliable AP weapons and never get to use their BS3, making them expensive shoota boyz that might shred something important if said target is somehow out in the open. Seems a bit of a wash so far.

I think the gets hot rule is only if you took the APD6-1 shots.
No kaptain character. I wonder if he is moved to the HQ slot. 'Er we go is watered down fleet... if people bitch about tyranids not making it into combat because of random rolls and lovely armor it's going to be the exact same thing with the orks. Better than nothing!

VVV They aren't bad, but it's the same thing as previous flashgits. Let's take an awesome CC unit (nobs) and give them decent guns (APD6 ignores marine armor half the time) that are mostly a trap. Losing the Armor4+ and access to a dok is actually worse, since you will probably lose a firefight against most squads if you aren't ignoring their armor (or they are in cover).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 31, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

So basically Ork Freebooterz?

Battlewagon option:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CyberLord XP posted:

Decided to get a group shot of my army. Hopefully it's workable when the codex drops.

Love the WAAAGH stand. Is that the forgeworld battlewagon in the back as well?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

Tactical genius apotted:
/

Undertow came out on the same year as second edition. Coincidence?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BobFromMarketing posted:

Alright so in my time looking at the Necron rules I have come across the synaptic disintegrator which has a strength of X. What exactly does that X mean? Is the strength variable? Does it always wound on a certain number? I really need to get the main rulebook :vomarine:

I believe that the synaptic disintegrator is sniper, so look up the rules for that.

"SX" doesn't have a meaning by itself, and is usually along with other rules (like something that forces toughness tests might be SX).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

What'd a 1500 point sisters look like nowadays? I'm (foolishly) considering putting one together. I've inherited a few models from a mate and I've always liked the look of the army so I figure I can just trawl eBay, gumtree etc. and slowly add to the collection over time.

Units of sisters in rhinos, a couple of mace-priests, celestine is still good with a unit of seraphim. Exorcists.
Immolators are decent, made better with scouting in the fast slot.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Is anyone here good at math and percentages?

If I have a chart of a 1-6. What are the odds that with 3 Rolls I would get a six. I would get to roll 4 seperate times.

The I would get

12 More individual rolls.

If you are wondering, I'm trying to figure out the possession odds on a army with 6 Pink Horrors , 4 Heralds, 3 Imperial Psykers, 3 Wyrdvane squads.

A bit less than 50% of getting a 6 on three die.
For off the cuff die rolls like that I usually divide each die into D3s. So with three die you can figure 1-2, 3-4, 5-6. Rolling the 5-6 is 50% of the time a 6. Since dice doesn't actually work this way factor in a bit less.

The actual number is ~42%.

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/525641/chance-of-getting-six-in-three-dice

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pacheeco posted:

It's not optimal but there's not that many choices for Tyranid A-T. Carnifexes are officially :sicknasty: though so they are pretty much auto-include in all my lists.

I like the adrenal gland option on carnifex even better now with S10 on the charge and fleet. You just need to screen them (with gargs?) and they are monsters in combat. Given the crappiness of the tyranid CC weapons you won't even lose out much if you take them on a shootie-fex.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

No they don't? Apple engages with its community using exactly the same channels as all of the companies in that field, because they're all tech companies who recognise the value of the internet, chiefly because the products they are sell are the way people access the internet on a daily basis.

You are holding it wrong.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only bad thing is I think one infantry model in the gun unit has to see their target, and I have a different aegis line for my orks that is a bit taller than a grot. I might have to model some on scrap to cheat I mean add some conversions to my army!
(it looks like some of the grots can be modeled on the gun itself, so this isn't an issue. Kind of like the eldar guns)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Esser-Z posted:

So I end up getting one guy and a bunch of spare stuff I may not be able to use. I get the concept, but if it's pushing the price up that high, I think it's time to release separate kits.

Err... it's orks. I don't think you get the concept if you say "spare stuff" and "I may not be able to use" in the same sentence (though I agree 37 is a touch high when the space marine commander boxset is 22).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cooked Auto posted:

No they're still called Rough Riders amazingly enough.

My little rough riders.

I'm sure this already exists. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Does he actually have that many Daemon models? If I could count the number of times people said "well, i don't have the models for the summoned models, so i'll just use a dice" NO NO NO. You cannot summon things if you don't have the models for them.

It may be a minor point, but I don't believe anything summoned has the "objective secured" rule either. Free models are good, but it's a risk.

• Locked thread