Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

7thBatallion posted:

I'm thinking of stripping some of my Tyranids and redoing them as such. http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/homehort/pest/tent_caterpillar_biology.htm
http://imageshack.com/a/img835/4851/u3oz.jpg
What do you guys think?

There was an article in one of the recent GW publications (WD I think, though I can't find the article) that explained how Phil Kelly did his swarm (google 'phil kelly tyranids' for pics), which was incredibly easy and quick - Black Spray, followed by Gloss Coat, and then Yellow detailing on the ridges. Might help for what you're going for.

Fix posted:

The example of Citadel-only scenery rules in this book has a particular other close-to-home example. Recall that a little while ago our own goon Germ was selling vehicle explosion markers via a kickstarter campaign. Guess what doesn't exist anymore? When Chimera explode now, they do so so completely that they don't even leave a crater behind anymore. Thanks, GW, for sticking it to a man!

How ripped off everyone who bought that stuff will feel when they realise that all they're left with is just some great looking terrain pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

As many detachments as you want, eh?

500pts per, 2k on the nose.

gently caress everything.

I'd introduce that junk to a couple land raider redeemers full of assault terminators, maybe throw in an imperial knight or two for good measure, and then afterwards discuss the merits of not trying to take the fun out of playing a game about plastic spacemans.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

I've finally answered my longstanding question of what I'm ever going to do with all the space marine captains that keep piling up.
Unfortunately I didn't quite have enough to fill 1850, so I had to add a few other HQ choices in the mix as well.
This is a really brutal Unbound army list no question about it, but I'm not sure I want to run it because my opponent might think I'm too cheesy. What do you guys think?

code:
Captain, Artificer Armour, Power Sword 125
Captain, Artificer Armour, Power Sword, Storm Bolter 130
Captain, Artificer Armour, Power Fist 135
Captain, Artificer Armour, Power Fist 135
Captain, Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Storm Bolter 140
Captain, Artificer Armour, Lightning Claw, Plasma Pistol 140
Chapter Master, Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Plasma Pistol 190
Chapter Master, Artificer Armour, Bike, Thunder Hammer, Shield Eternal 250
Chaplain 90
Librarian Epistolary 90
Master of the Forge, Power Axe, 4 Servitors, 2 Heavy Bolters 165
Command Squad, Company Champion, Apothecary, Bikes, 3 Storm Shields, 2 Power Swords, Power Fist 250

Total 1840

Texmo fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 27, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

You'll get a dual plastic vehicle kit that is a support/transport. It's the 7th thing. One will be called the Angrinator, the other will be the Bloodcry.

The Angrinator comes equipped with a Blood Cannon and two twin-linked Blood Hoses.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Wow it sure seems like GW Management really takes the whole imperial doctrine a bit literally.

"An open mind is like a fortress with its' gates unbarred and unguarded" indeed.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

William Murderfang Murderfang Murderfang

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

PantsOptional posted:

There has to be a way to convert up a BA Dread to look like Scorpion.

I'm thinking I'll do this with my Deathstorm dread, assuming its two grapples fit nicely in the palm of the two power fists like I think they will. Also assuming they don't look totally stupid.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Who else has money on the next of these campaign sets being Sisters of Battle versus Necrons?

I really doubt that, but if it is, I certainly have some money for it.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

So the gist of the last few pages I'm getting is that Blood Angels players have the black rage about the fact that the GW design team has decided their codex-adherent chapter really ought to act like one and that they now have to use formations, or *ugh* unbound (which is as good as forcing you to spend money to keep playing the game apparently), if they still want to run their assault-marine-only armies, and are pounding their blood fists on their blood chests for the return to the heyday of the Matt Ward codex?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

It's ok for GW to invalidate my army and invested hobby time/money because

no, it's never ok for GW to update the rules to the game, especially not when there is an explicit exception in the rulebook called 'unbound' which allows people to continue playing with their existing collection even if it no longer adheres to the updated rules' force organization. Really we should all still be playing rogue trader.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Exinos posted:

Well, you have invested a lot of time and money into the game already so now you should be prepared to spend even more time and money to keep playing.

Besides, it's only $86.00 of tactical marines. And $239.00 of blood angels rules. Don't forget the new $100.00 core rule book that just came out I guess.

See, practically nothing.

Or you read the core game rulebook and then keep playing with what you have anyway, because that's actually a rules-legal thing to do.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

Unbound was an extremely clever move by GW because it can be used to justify literally any design decision they make. But it's nothing new. You could go unbound since the game was written. It doesn't justify poor design choices or business decisions.

GW can and should constantly improve the rules for their game. They should not be doing this by punishing players for being loyal consumers, especially when its the factions entire gimmick. Gamers get very very upset if their 100+ hour saved games are suddenly corrupted, a new patch removes characteristics of their faction, or a new DLC invalidates the gear they spent many hours grinding for. That's why, despite the complexity in video games, studios find ways to appease their player base by adding options ontop of existing. They avoid making their consumers upset, because we don't like thousands of 1 star reviews on metracritic or sending our users away to the competition.

Keep in mind that you're defending codex design decisions introduced by Matt Ward that GW are rectifying while also not completely invalidating people's collections.
The Blood Angels are a codex-compliant chapter; only Ward's book has featured assault marines as troops. It also featured Blood Fists, and infinity-attacks death company dreadnoughts, so make of this what you will.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

4th edition white dwarf codex first introduced them as troops, actually.

I stand corrected.
However, my point still holds about people still being able to play with their collection while still having the rules updated to reflect their codex-compliance. Those who want to field lots of jump troops in battle-forged armies have also been thrown a bone in the form of some pretty ace looking jump-centric formations.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 18, 2014

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I seriously don't remember the Ork players losing their poo poo over losing speed cult. Did that happen? Oh no it's only Space Marine players that lose their minds at not having the best army in the game.

This may as well be a thread on Dakkadakka.

Da Tin Speed Freeks are squiggin' out rite now becuz their stormboyz and madboyz are too busy runnin off into da fite to sit around and hold objectivs any more, nevva mind that their regular tinboyz are more angry than before and can take 'eavy burnas and fasta trukks.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

DJ Dizzy posted:

Can someone identify what sort technique is used for the red here?

Chiming in a little late here, but I don't think this is the usual mephiston red + agrax wash + highlights which produces a blood angles type brownish-red, the overall tone seems more crimson than brown to me.

My guess is the basecoat is Mephiston Red, then washed with either Nuln Oil or Carroburg Crimson, followed by a layer of Mephiston (leaving the shade visible in places), a highlight of some pinkish-red layer like maybe Evil Sunz Scarlet or Pink Horror with the red glaze, and possibly finished with a glaze of Bloodletter (more certainly if nuln was used earlier, this would give it a more reddish tinge).

Try experimenting on some things with those colors (What, you're saying you DON'T have the complete paint box? what kind of Imperial Citizen are you?), you'll probably figure something out.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Hollismason posted:

In actual 40k news, have they released the Harlequin Painting guide yet or is that still unreleased? I wanted to see if it was any good. Most of their painting guides are good. Specifically want to see how they do their diamond pattern.

The diamond pattern had a guide in the first Harlequin WD; the gist of it was do a full coat of brightest color, then draw diamond fishnet outlines on with a thin brush, fill in the pattern with the second colour, and then tidy up the black lines and add highlights to the color.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Safety Factor posted:

Does Wazdakka make Tigurius count as troops?

Wazdakka rides Tigurius as a bike.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

I wonder which number is higher: the number of posts in this thread by Hollismason, or the number of posts by people who can't stop talking about Hollismason? I'd wager it's the latter.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

panascope posted:

The results don't look like they were dominated by Eldar, what happened?

The result of Games Workshop's ever-awful rules writing and bland, worst-yet codex releases trending towards a slightly more balanced game with fewer loopholes is my guess.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Warhammer 40k: Share your opinion of Forums Poster Hollismason here

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

ProfessorCurly posted:

"I'z Murdah Wrathbeard, Kaptin of Industry and da Orkonomist, and I ask you: Iz a boy not entitled to da loot of 'iz fights? No says da lootaz, dey belong to whoever can grab 'em first. No says da mekz, dey belong to whoever can bash 'em togeva best. No says da boss and da nobz, dey belong to da biggest. I rejekted all dat. I pulled on me boots and built me a couple 'a megablastas. Now da loot belongs ta me, hur hur hur..."

Now dis is a fing of bea... of beuu.. a fing dat wot looks good and is a larf.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

:black101:

Took some work getting there though:

This is absolutely loving absurd. There is no way that thing could store more than two shots in its' entire interior with a barrel that size, and firing it would probably tear it to pieces.

I love it.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Fluff wise, do they really put on their power armor before putting on centurion armor?

You can see the power armored legs standing on stilts if you look at the model from behind.

AndyElusive posted:

If so, that's loving silly.

I think you might just be playing the wrong game.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

I feel the need for an Public Service Announcement, and also I guess a cry for help because there is an IRL Scrunt in my house right now.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Got White Dwarf 62 sitting in front of me, with the Skitarii Ruststalkers/Infiltrators. Both variants have the same Dunestrider rule that the chickenwalkers have, the +3" move/run/charge, as well as 2W, 4+/6++/FNP. Kinda makes up for their wimpy T3.

They're a bit pricey, but I can definitely see them getting some use.

Imgur album with pics of the WD datasheets and wargear I just snapped.
http://imgur.com/mNnie4a,jNFYdYj,20ITaLc#2

Texmo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 2, 2015

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Cataphract posted:

9" move and a 2d6+3 charge means there's potential for some sweet charges on turn 1.

9" move, 2d6+3" with Infiltrate on the powersword-or-teslastick guys. More or less guarenteed to get the charge.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Phyresis posted:

ELDAR SHINING SPEARS Finecast Box
ELDAR AUTARCH SKYRUNNER Finecast Box

loving lmao

looks like the existing shining spear and autarch upgrade boxes getting a rename and going direct only, considering they only have D in the route-to-market column

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

So, as the saying goes, even a stopped bell tolls twice a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7qAWauBAkM

In other news, how the hell are other armies supposed to kill a single wraithknight, now that they're gargs? The only things I can think of are blasting it with your own D, or meleeing it with TH/SS terminators, or force hammer GK's.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Uroboros posted:

I suppose snipers in general always wound on a 4+ right? then again the chance of them saving is pretty high so it isn't reliable. Grav-Cents, or a couple squads of bikers with Grav/Combi-Grav could likely put the hurt on one. Also, a Lascannon team might be able to put a couple wounds on one per round, but yeah that is still a bit of time to burn through 6 wounds. I don't know what else you would do other than tarpit it...

nope; sniper wounds on 6, as does poison, thanks to it being a garg creature.
It also has FNP, and will always be able to have at least 5+ cover due to being able to place it's toe in some crater somewhere.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

There's also fleshbane for that, but where the hell do you get massed fleshbane shots?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

PierreTheMime posted:

How has no one posted this yet?

Well I got the GW teaser video, but hot piss!
Realy hoping the rumors of the opponents just being chaos cultists and marines turns out to be not entirely accurate though, models for imperium citizenry or somesuch would be fantastic

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Hollismason you've made everyone real aware that you're gay, I'd think you of all people would be happy about getting the D.

This Eldar book is looking really bad. They fixed the wave serpent problem, and yet managed to make the book apparently MORE powerful than it was before. Wraithknights with perpetual 4+/5+ from having their toe on cover, and wizard babysitters, were bad enough already without them being FNP gargantuans with stomp and D-Guns.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Hollismason posted:

That's kind of homophobicish but not super offensive but still kind of weird to say and not cool ,also I'm a total top. So I'd like to give you the D.

I'm not phobic of you or your D

because Necron's c'tan powers only have a one in six chance of bringing the D

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Out of all the things you can make fun of Hollismason for, you choose the fact that he's gay? You idiot.

God forbid I make a D joke suggesting that a gay person might enjoy D, how insensitive of me. You idiot.

TKIY posted:

I'm confident in my masculinity.

Assassins!

I *think* that Termy Sorcerer is new...

The assassins are the only new things. And they use the snap fit chaos marines. And that board looks tiny. Which means it's probably a "board game", and not a board game.
Disappointing, but drat if the assassins don't look good.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Moola posted:

hahahaha

I would rather play 40k monopoly though, where you use skulls as currency

and hotels

and player pieces

This would probably be the only way to get me to play khornopoly.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Jesus loving christ lads, this loving thread has gone full retard.

Also keeping on topic:

I can't believe you would go and post something so violent, I am extremely triggered by this graphic picture.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Looks like "Assassinorum Execution Force" is a proper boardgame and not some dinky little thing, which is a pleasant surprise. Shame it's loving $125USD, though I can't say I'm all that surprised, this is Games Workshop after all.
Flicking through the white dwarf, the rules for the assassins are identical to what's in the existing dataslate - it says as much in the issue.

I took a couple of shots of the game board here: http://imgur.com/2ij57cI,Uu7UwXN

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Doctor Borris posted:

Hey guys I played my friend and I have some more questions. The sisters codex is up to date with 7th edition so its pretty competitive or at least up to date right? How do I get saves from dispersion weapons? He had some kind of template weapon and Saint Celestine got killed in one hit, even though she wasn't instant killed. Whats the best way to get around that?

Also the advice about the Exorcists didn't work very well. The Wrathknight didn't seem to care they were s8 and instead he teleported or flew or something across the board and killed all of them and some sisters. Whats the best sister squad build to kill him in melee? Should I try to outfit the cannoness with melee or should I swarm him with lots of just sisters with chainswords? Also he didn't seem to worry about my flamers as much as I hoped and instead killed everyone.

Advice please. I am using the updated codex with the new cool rules.
Thanks!
Also how do I get Jinx saves on my rhinos? That seemed to work really well for him and he said the points for his Wave Serpents wasn't that much higher then what I had.

You need to take some flamer weapons, and lots of melta weapons, to cleanse the xenos.
More importantly, you need to pray to The Emperor, a lot, because you're going to need all the blessings you can get.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Sorry to break up the PYF Spaceman armour discussion, I hope you'll forgive the intrusion of English WD Rules Pics for the new Mutoid Man mechanicum units:

http://imgur.com/xl4u2p1&efsxwYF&SOF2oDG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

TKIY posted:

Why give them the rule to fire two weapons if they can only ever have one?

There are three pictures in that album; the second is the Destroyers, which come with a Plasma Culverin and Phosphor Blaster, as well as crappier armor.

• Locked thread