Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

I love how he is complaining that no one can take him seriously.
Also what is it with them loving Tolkien? The guy might have been a person who looked kindly on the middle ages but he was no friend to the capitalism they jerk off to.

Do they jerk off to capitalism? Like, neoliberal capitalism? I figure they'd be into fascist-style corporatism or something. I thought the idea was that they were pathetic weirdos who weren't into bourgeois liberalism, since that would just make them libertarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Who was the guy, I think maybe he was a game designer, who laid out his "philosophy" at great length in shameless, incompetent imitation of Nietzsche's writing style? It may not have been mentioned in this thread, but it was amazing.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thanks guys! Hahahahaha orgyofthewill.net is absolute gold.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Alien Arcana posted:

(And on a less mystical note, it makes certain conventions simpler - "a == b" becomes logically equivalent to "a - b", for instance.)

Useless as this is in practice, I do find it pleasing.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jack Gladney posted:

Is he one of those people who thinks that neanderthals were the superior species of human?

Neanderthal babies were too smart to get into catapults, but this proved maladaptive, leading to the inevitable demise of their species. :biotruths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94_omZ2RnfI

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wales Grey posted:

Morals are irrelevant in establishing effective policy because morality is a set of personal beliefs. Your quote is asking an irrelevant or meaningless question; social structures such as "the economy" cannot be "moral" because are not individual persons and as such cannot hold a belief.

All societies which have heretofore concerned themselves with "public morals" were wrong and stupid because such a thing cannot exist, got it. If only they had had copies of Wales Grey's dictionary, so many errors could have been avoided.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I take it you linked this ironically.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

esr posted:

An IQ you or I would consider "average" is three standard deviations beyond the mean there.
I like the bit where he doesn't understand the STD of the metric he's using, so he puts 68 at 3 STDs below the mean instead of 2. (A standard deviation in IQ is 15, not 10.)

If you want to treat IQ like it's a meaningful thing, that's pretty dumb, but at least respect its internal logic.

(I don't believe in IQ at all.)

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Silver2195 posted:

Slightly off-topic, but if you don't believe in it at all, how do you explain the correlation to, e.g., reaction time?

I don't mean "I don't believe in it" in that sense. IQ isn't abjectly worthless; it would have been abandoned by now if there weren't some correlations with interesting factors. But as a math nerd, and as someone who views intelligence as multi-dimensional, well: assuming you've identified all the applicable dimensions, you're then applying a norm to a vector. But there are many norms you can apply, and the results will differ, so there is an arbitrariness built in to the system.

There are plenty of empirical reasons to distrust IQ as being something quote-unquote meaningful. But perhaps I'm biased, as I also don't believe in the left-right political dichotomy at all, beyond "where did you sit in the French National Assembly." Whenever you take something multidimensional and turn it into something linear, you necessarily lose a ton of information.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

You're bad at stats.

Or, to be charitable, you were too quick for your own good here.

I don't know what you mean.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

Why do you assume the SD of Haitian IQ is 15?

Next assignment: why should you not have thought so?

(I'm not defending the original statement, which was probably also made by a statistically illiterate person.)

That's a very good point, although I maintain my bad logic was better than his bad logic. I prove theorems in statistics, I don't generally apply them.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

At worst, he made your mistake plus mixing up 15 with 10. At best, he either knew or estimated the IQ SD of Haitii.

(I'd extrapolate it to be around 10 actually, if you'd ask me.)

You could question his general approach - for example, is it even valid to compare IQs across completely different cultures and living conditions? (Probably only to a limited degree at best!)
But math wise, I don't think you're much ahead of him, if at all.

Given your contrarian nature, you might do a better job of explaining your objections, since that's the whole point.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

(I'd extrapolate it to be around 10 actually, if you'd ask me.)

Why?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

Google tells me US Black IQ mean/SD is around 85/13, so maybe Haiti is at 60/10?
I'm not saying it's a smart guess.

Nothing necessitates variance decreasing with mean, though. So what's your criticism?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

Sorry, criticism of what?

Aright, explain in shallow depth for non-mathematical observers of the thread what was wrong with my criticism of ESR's citation of IQ statistics. And and the same time explain this:

Cingulate posted:

Google tells me US Black IQ mean/SD is around 85/13, so maybe Haiti is at 60/10?
I'm not saying it's a smart guess.

Variance doesn't decrease with mean, so aside from the fact that you chose a mean that's eight points lower than ESR's, explain why you assume variance is lower, when variance is independent of mean under your chosen metric.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Peztopiary posted:

Of the two wizards, Moore is preferable.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is good, All Star Superman is good, they're both lunatics.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

- personal distaste for the person making the claim

Maybe with #3 absent, a more, to use that ugly rationalist word, charitable reading would have occurred.

Buy a new account and maybe try to be a better poster next time around?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Speaking of butthurt the comic they're referencing works great with goatkcd:

:nws: https://goatkcd.com/1357/sfw :nws:

:iamafag:

Why does this always work? Does it work with Penny Arcade?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

divabot posted:

Here, for your delight, is Peak Rationalist Tumblr Discourse:

Yeah, a lot of Tumblr users are terrifyingly young, and particularly the Tumblr rationalist crowd. But you should click on the notes, in which rationalists argue that other people did bad things too y'know and literally find the concept of fascism being bad a difficult idea to get their heads around.

...and furthermore, why do people unquestioningly believe that "goodness" holds any positive/worthwhile qualities? Isn't it time for a critical reappraisal of the very idea of "badness"?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Peel posted:

This is the first thing by Moldbug I've ever actually read.

Initial reaction: 'politics' and 'democracy' are not synonyms because you while you can't have democracy (good) without politics (bad), you can have politics (bad) without democracy (good). For example, in a monarchy.

Does his stuff normally just fall over right at the first hurdle like that?

Yep. I actually read a bunch of the intro to UR stuff because it was such a trainwreck. Stuff like (paraphrasing obviously) "the US Constitution is a fraud, because the constitution of the US (as in terms of constitutional law) is not the same as the US Constitution."

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fututor Magnus posted:

Just saw that idiot goons in YCS were bandying around Scott's insufferable "I can't tolerate ... outgroup" essay

Where's that? I only read the Republican primary thread.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hellequin posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much why I find him interesting, even if I rarely agree with him. A lot of the reasons I find Land interesting are the same reasons I like Lautreamont, Rimbaud, and Baudelaire. He approached philosophy from such a fundamentally nihilistic and pessimistic angle that even I couldn't agree with his conclusions, the journey he took to reach them unearthed some neat things. I still stand by statement that his reading of Sade and Bataille is great, and his arguments contra Kant are pretty solid. Plus he introduced me to Georg Trakl's poetry, so I do owe him that.

Sources for his work on de Sade?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hellequin posted:

Most of it is tucked into Thirst for Annihilation when he's reading Bataille alongside Sade. It's been a while since I read it but I'm thinking the last half of the book?

If it sucks I'm coming for you, Hellequin. I don't like paying for things.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I feel bad for that guy's colorless green ideas doomed to sleep furiously.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I still can't believe the "rationalist community" got to give themselves the moniker "rationalist." How poncy can you get?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I read an article on Slate today about how Thiel shouldn't hold a grudge against Gawker and fund Hogan's lawsuit, and I just can't agree. Thiel is a terrible person, but outing someone for the sake of page views is hosed up.

e: Maybe this doesn't pertain to this thread or this post, and the quoted post was about amusing hypocrisy. That article was just fresh in my mind.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Somebody link the dumb Salon pedophilia thing.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Milo is the Uncle Tom of gays.

Someone explain to me why Uncle Tom is supposed to be bad. Uncle Tom was a cool guy.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hermetic posted:

Because he was okay with the system oppressing him, even though it killed him. While he was miles more tolerable than Milo, they still both are okay with a system that rejects their personhood. Hopefully it won't end as painfully for Milo as it did for Tom.

Frogisis posted:

I was always told it was the way he was a portrait of what amounts to Stockholm Syndrome (goodness it's almost as if slavery and oppression can warp people in many different ways).

People should actually read the book. It's very earnestly Christian in the way that American literature was at the time -- see also e.g. Little Women -- but neither of these critiques actually apply. The way it's used is that it refers to "member of minority <x>" who is a stooge for "establishment <x>," and that just doesn't make sense.

Zerilan posted:

Because there was nothing back then from stopping a bunch of shitheads from doing their own Uncle Tom's Cabin performances where Uncle Tom is practically the opposite of the original version of him until that version is the one that more people associated with the name.

This is plausible, though. But people really need to stop using the term.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Heresiarch posted:

It's not just plausible, it's documented.

Neato.

So people using the term pejoratively are adopting the language of racist shitheads. I feel like they shouldn't do that. "Quisling" doesn't entirely fit, most of the time, but c'mon, there's gotta be a better word.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

Malcolm X liked "house Negro" and its more vulgar counterpart, but I would advise those with white skin to use it with extreme caution.

That, at least, expresses a true meaning that "Uncle Tom" doesn't. I don't think calling Milo a "house homosexual" is outrageous, and it's a lot better than the alternatives.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If I make fun of Hermetic for his clear NPD would that be wrong from a PC standpoint?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hermetic posted:

As long as I can mock you for your sad attempts at armchair psychiatry. :allears:

Hahahaha you made another autistic joke based on my dumb AV that somebody bought me, then edited it out.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
All of a sudden I miss Cingulate.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

pookel posted:

I need to see this OKCupid profile.

It's philosophically interesting that I'm able to judge this statement false a priori.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Behold a man who finds ressentiment too subtle, and decided to go all in on pathological resentment.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Vosgian Beast posted:

HPMOR is so bad that I legitimately can't even get through Let's Reads of it or whatever they're called.

I have no idea why people bother arguing over whether it's scientifically accurate, or really rational, when just on a basic page-to-page basis it's the worst thing ever

I think it's kinda fascinating, because someone has created a didactic philosophical "novel," with an actual fan base, worse that Atlas Shrugged itself.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hahaha. holy poo poo. so the foxs are supposed be jews now. wtf. I thought it was kinda supposed to be the lesson of "everyone can be an intolerant dickhead, so try to actualy learn the truth and meet people"

This is probably the nicest comparison of Jews to animals an anti-semite has ever made. Foxes are cool as heck. Progress!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lottery of Babylon posted:

During the reign of Charles the First of England, there was a remarkable outbreak of holiness. By and large, the holiest people tended to get the preaching jobs in the Church of England, and, since there was not a whole lot of entertainment and social events other than going to church, they persuaded other people to be holy.

To some extent this holiness was genuine and sincere. On the other hand, since Church of England jobs had good pay and status, it was to some extent pharisaical, and became increasingly pharisaical. And this pharisaical holiness started to increasingly resemble nineteenth century leftism, alarming the King, so Charles the First set to appointing Bishops that opposed and suppressed left wing pharisaism – or perhaps Bishops that, like Charles himself, enjoyed a good time and were not particularly holy. And this led to civil war, which the exceedingly holy won.

And pretty soon each candidate for office was even holier than each of the other candidates.

I assume that's Moldbug, because it sounds like him. Holiness and pharisaism are apparently equivalent to him? Weird.

Also, "a great king." Charles I was grotesquely incompetent. But (assuming it's moldbug) this is a guy who saw the Revolutionary War as "evil" and who regarded the slavery issue during the Civil War as "eh, people can go either way."

Moldbug is an interesting case, because he's very well-read, and has an analytical mind, and is still immensely stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Count Chocula posted:

Just mosquitos? I got my redtext by asking why we don't eliminate all animals that pose a threat to indvidual human lives, only keeping DNA samples for study and maybe some like great white sharks in zoos. We're the top of the food chain - we shouldn't suffer a risk from ANY other species.

But apparently it's unfeasible. So start with the mosquitos.

Have you considered exposure therapy for your obsessive fear of death? Like, dying a bunch of times in succession?