Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ramba Ral posted:

And what about when you get four points in it?

Saint-of-killers.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PantsOptional posted:

The EotE campaign I'm in is ending soon, and the GM is going to be doing AoR next. I've already got a character lined up, because "R2 unit starfighter ace" is the best. Just stick some frumpy human dude with a mustache in the pilot seat and let him think he's doing a great job.

Nah, your pet human (fellow pc if you can swing it) is a Rebel Intelligence counterspy posing as a snubfighter jock because Command has evidence of an Imp mole in the squadron. He can't fly for poo poo, but you're his robeard because otherwise they'd never let a droid fly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm potentially getting into a game coming up, and looking through the rules there's a lot of ways to inflict strain on enemies: stun damage, Influence power, various Talents, etc. So how effective would be a combat strategy that focuses on doing stun and strain damage? Would it require the whole party to do the same to be good, or could a single character do that in a party of people dealing wound damage be flailing around uselessly?

I don't necessarily want to make a character who is a pacifist, but might be against senseless killing, and it seems like a character focused on nonlethal would also be set up well for "face" stuff.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

homullus posted:

It would be effective, and many enemies you will face only have a single damage track -- regular damage and strain both reduce it. You would not need the whole party doing nonlethal to be effective.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that, thanks. What about on Nemesis-class enemies? Is dropping strain for Talent and action denial a viable tactic for a fight or would that be a time to whip out the blaster and go to town?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fuzz posted:

Hutts are technically Force blind, depending on the source.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beldorion

:reject:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Does Niman Disciple still use Willpower for saber combat? That struck me as a weird choice.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would probably go for multiple Imperial Remnant factions too, and the First Order is just one of them.

Same - they would be the most dangerous, since they use the Knights of Ren and can invent and build new superweapons and have Snoke in charge, but you could have other remnants with different strategies and advantages.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Requesting some advice on character building for a Rebels-era game, supposedly starting at Knight-level XP.

The basic idea is an older former Jedi who, while not quite renouncing the Order, felt like Jedi shouldn't be fighting a war. So as soon as he was made a Knight during the Clone Wars, exercised the Right of Denial, turned in his lightsaber, and went to go work with the AgriCorps settling a frontier world. Immediately after the knighting ceremony. Annoyed the hell out of his master.

Order 66, he goes underground, fuzzed out his connection to the Force as best he could, and has been a nerf herder ever since. Like, actually herding nerfs. I have this mental picture of him as a ranch owner, taking in troubled young folks and helping them get themselves sorted out until they're squared away enough to move on with their lives.

Anyway, Empire trouble happens, and he gets sucked into the campaign and taking up the mantle of a Jedi once again.

So I'm looking for two pieces of advice.

1) How to make him seem less derivative of Kanan Jarrus and Ahsoka Tano.

2) How to build him career/specialty wise. The suggestion has been made to go Consular/Niman Disciple picking up Beast Rider and focusing more on the latter set of skills, going back into ND as the game progresses. But I'm wondering if Seeker/Pathfinder might not be a better starting point, going into a lightsaber form later. Also looking for build synergies that work with the concept.

Any thoughts? Or have I just found an insanely complex concept that can't be modeled right off?

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 24, 2015

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ramba Ral posted:

I don't have the book on me now but here it is off the top of my head.

If your GM allows EotE careers, here is what I would suggest: I would pick something from Edge of the Empire for your main farming stuff, like colonist, then take force sensitive exile. Your GM should allow you to take up F&D specializations as you start to get back into it as the campaign progresses.

You have the ability to work with the force but you left it behind and instead tried becoming a farmer until life called you back.

I had looked at Colonist, but none of the specializations really applied. Which seems like an oversight, not having anything under Colonist that would make a good pioneer type, but whatever.

On the other hand, a fresh look at Bounty Hunter/Survivalist shows a lot of the skills and talents I'm looking for - emphasis on tracking and wilderness suvival, but I can make that work. So yeah, that plus FS Exile may be closest to what I'm looking for, going into Pathfinder and maybe a saber form (Shien? Depends on what my best characteristic winds up, probably) later once I get a saber.

As an aside, does anybody know why Soresu Defender uses Intellect for Lightsaber, when nothing else about the career is in any way Intellect-based? Seems like it'd be more appropriate for it to use Willpower, and make Niman Disciple use Intellect since Consular stuff is much more reliant on that. Every other lightsaber form specialization besides those two is well-matched to their skill use.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epi Lepi posted:

Double check the colonist sourcebook if you only looked at the core eote book just in case one of those fits better. Not saying one will since I can't remember what's in that book but there might be something.

Doctor, Politico, Scholar, Entrepreneur, Marshal, Performer.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

Well if you want to include Clone Wars and the two Ewok movies, this is number 10

Regardless of what you think of the prequels I think this is something we can all agree not to do.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That Sentry write-up sounds like Jedi Daredevil.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Speaking of non-combat characters, what's a good way to make a mechanic viable? Like at all? I'm not necessarily talking in a combat sense since i'm not worrying about that. But i mean like outside of upgrading the group's stuff and maybe making the ship (which since space battles suck we hardly use for more than a taxi) better, they don't get to do very much? At least the commander in AOR could give inspiring speeches to people for a free blue dice.

This is working with just EOTE books and the mechanics source book that came out a bit ago by the way.

You said not necessarily combat, but in that regard: Mechanics get Brawl, and the crafting rules in Special Modifications let you build your choice of neat poo poo into your not-quite-Shock-Gloves. Alternatively, Modder gets Gunnery, and you have a couple options there: Gyrostabilizer to reduce the Brawn needed to shoot the big guns, or the Repulsor Rifle from Lords of Nal Hutta which has no Cumbersome rating.

I've been thinking a bit lately on how to do a heavy-stun gimmick. That Repulsor Rifle looks mighty tasty, and if I want to spend points on Melee (or a specialization that gets it), there are a lot of ways to cram stun damage fun onto a crafted Powered Melee Weapon as per SM.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 12, 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheTofuShop posted:

So I've finally been able to wrangle my friends into another FFG SW game, and this time people want to play space wizards.

I'm planning on cribbing an idea I read here first (I think?) and we are looking at doing a post Order 66 campaign with the players as Jedi Knights on the run.

The hurdle I'm running into is figuring out how much experience to give them after creation to get them at a power level that's strong but not gamebreaking. I am well aware of the gear/power creep that comes with time in this system, and I think my players are building more flavorful characters than the min max standard a few of them have.

what do you all suggest?

You don't have to have them build actual full-fledged Jedi Knights to have Force users running from the Empire. Suggest to them a mixture of "auxiliary" Jedi such as the Medical Corps, the AgriCorps, or other members of the Jedi Service Corps, who are less powerful and skilled in the Force than a Prequel-era Jedi would be. Of course a half-trained padawan or two. Perhaps someone could be a representative of a non-Jedi tradition who was in town on a cultural and knowledge exchange program at exactly the wrong time.

There are all sorts of folks who would be on the run from the Purge. Even if they weren't the original targets of Order 66, the Empire would likely want to kill or recruit Force-users still at large in the galaxy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Otisburg posted:

In the US a lower to middle ranked officer pulls in considerably less than the median national salary. And that's in a standing army of a superpower that doesnmn't experience the kind of disruptions and shortfalls you'd expect of an insurrectionist movement.

Dude, an O-3 (Captain except in the Navy) makes at least $62,000 annually before you even take into account the above-mentioned room and board and other benefits, with increase in pay based on time in service.

Median US household income (note - not one person but a whole family) is just over $51,000.

There's a reason enlisted personnel see officers as living the high life.

Although this isn't applicable to a shoestring ragtag Rebellion.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Servetus posted:

According to the Bloodlines novel most troops and junior officers don't get separate quarters. In a lot of Rebel bases they just convert a hanger or other large room and everyone gets cots.

Yeah, I doubt many ideological insurgencies wind up living in the lap of luxury. You make do with what you can scrounge.

I feel like a lot of Rebellion supply acquisition runs would be indistinguishable from highway robbery, so long as the Empire is the victim. Which is great for an AoR game.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Force-Sensitive Exile gets a career book before Bounty Hunter, calling it now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yousa think yousa can make funname just cause mesa got a "silly" accent? Weesa gonna see how silly yousa sound when yousa jaw be bombad broken. *cracks knuckles*

Also, as potential inspiration.

"Meesa gonna cut yousa a new set a' gills."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
With the crazy digitized noise they make I think Death Troopers are droids - or we're maybe supposed to be at one point in production.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FuriousAngle posted:

So I ran into something interesting tonight. I rolled both a Triumph and a Despair on an attack roll.

My understanding is that neither Triumph nor Despair can be cancelled. Unless I'm misunderstanding it completely this raises interesting questions. So here are a few:

If a character makes an attack roll and receives three successes, one triumph, and one despair, does this mean:
1) The attack succeeds because it has more net successes?
2) With how many successes? 3 or 4?
3) Does the character both suffer a despair and enjoy a triumph? Like they crit but also run out of ammo?

What if the attack roll had just one triumph and one despair? Would the attack succeed, enjoying only a single success while critting and running out of ammo?

I appreciate any help on this matter. The dice system is fantastic because it gives so many options, but in some cases its open-ended nature makes it difficult for me to fully grasp without asking for help.

As I understand it:

A Triumph also counts as a Success, and a Despair also counts as a Failure. The Success/Failure component can be cancelled out, but not the Triumph/Despair component. So, you failed the roll (no net Successes) but had both a Triumph and a Despair.

Your questions, in order:

1) Yes
2) 3: 3+1-1
3) This is correct.

Let me know if I've got it wrong.

EDIT:

Crumbletron posted:

Triumph counts as a success but a despair does not count as a failure. They do give separate effects, so you could crit and run out of ammo.

The bolded part is not correct.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 25, 2017

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Covok posted:

Mechanical. Like, if you want to be a Sith Lord, you get a 15 XP reduction to buying the basic power of Heal/Harm, Misdirect, and Protect/Unleash, minimum cost 5XP. However, you got a drawback: whenever your morality drops, double the amount it drops. So, if you got Conflict 7 and roll a 3, you go down by 8 morality instead of 4. You can buy this drawback away by spending 30XP. You know, if you ever want to be redeemed. Frankly, sounds like a hell of a deal to me, especially since it doesn't require you being dark side to do it.

All the force traditions do that: benefit and drawback. Except for Jedi. They claim the Jedi option is choosing a Jedi mentor in the corebook (5XP reduction to all basic powers). One could argue the drawback is the opportunity cost of the other chargen benefits.

The ones included are:
Baran Do Sages
Dagoyan Masters
Gand Findsmen
Sith Lords

This is on page 79.

I could post all their benefits and drawbacks, but that could be :filez:

It might be, but the "I have it" thread in the FFG community forums has all that and a hell of a lot more detail, so people can find it there if they want to go check it out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Aw, I wanted it to be titled "Many Bothans Died".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

You may be joking, but some kind of world-eating Dark Side machine planet waking up and going all Galactus might be a pretty cool Star Wars campaign

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Iceclaw posted:

Ah, yes, the notion that the Empire is some kind of gambit to "make the galaxy thougher" to resist their invasion", the crown jewel of EU silliness. Empire fanboys ruin everything.

This is like an abusive father's excuse for why he beats his kids while drunk.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

kingcom posted:

So it doesn't always work with the group but on knowledge checks i've always left the threat/advantage part up to the players. They invent new information that they think is interesting to interpret that result and the GM can shift that around to be a boon or a burden to whatever their goal is later. Go all in on the metagaming rather than the false information (also its tough coming up with two truths and a lie on the spot half the time), have the player contribute to your world building at the same time.

This just popped into my head so I don't know how it would work in play, but: Have the players make up as many facts as the roll has both Threat and Advantage, and the GM decides which of them are false, up to the number of Threat rolled. So with three Advantage, two Threat you'd have the players make up five facts and not tell them which two you decide are wrong.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If you can't find a reason to upgrade difficulty on a cargo hold full of high explosives then you aren't really trying.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arcturas posted:

Not really. Reskin any blaster rifles as the new blaster rifles, reskin stormtroopers as first order soldiers, make up a stat block for the swinging lightning things that Finn always throws about...

Isn't that bigass stun baton already in Disciples of Harmony?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

They're all but invisible on-screen, and of course they're only named in the Visual Dictionary, but The Last Jedi has a shout-out to FFG

Given that there's a d4, d10, and d20 there I'm not sure it's an FFG shoutout in particular.

EDIT: Okay, the name I guess.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
So, character build question. Not optimization, just looking to not waste my time.

I've joined a new in-person game with a Besalisk Mechanic, and I like the backstory and personality I've made for the character: basically a blue-collar football hooligan in space. So I've been (prematurely I admit) pondering development paths for the future.

I was originally thinking straight Mechanic, filling out that tree, but some of the other Technician specializations (Modder, Outlaw Tech) also look like fun depending on how deep I get into crafting stuff. However, it doesn't look like anyone in the party is really focused on combat capability so as the person with the highest wound threshold and a rank in Brawl, I sort of ended up in the thick of the fight.

So now I'm pondering at some point cross-speccing into Marauder to be a better brawler (my Agility is crap so melee and ranged stuff is right out). I can't find a lot of discussion but it seems at first glance that there's a bit of unappreciated synergy there - Hard Headed, bunch of Toughened, Enduring.

Thoughts? Am I way off base here and this is just not a great use of points? Or could this have some legs?

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 23, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CaptCommy posted:

For those of us who didn't watch it, what was the explanation?

Kanan's dying act was to hurl the rest of the crew away from an explosion. If they pulled him out before he did that, the other rebels would have died. Ahsoka was pulled out of the encounter with Vader at Malachor V, also during an explosion but after she'd done the critical thing so pulling her out didn't cause a paradox. Didn't seem that eye-rolly to me.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Azran posted:

Any prewritten adventures to avoid in particular? Which one is the best starter to introduce a bunch of people to the game?

Dice equivalent to two packs SHOULD be fine, right?

When you get to high XP play you might need as many as three or even four red dice, but two sets is definitely enough to start out.

I (through no actual intention on my part) have somehow acquired four sets and it is too drat many to have on the table. It gets unwieldy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It'd be a duplication certainly, but I'd be willing to shell out for: a complete species/career/specialization/talent reference book (perhaps with some updated talent trees for some of the earlier, now-underwhelming specs and guidelines for making your own), a vehicle and equipment compendium, and maybe some other sorts of massive all-in-one-place tomes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

They're not bad when they're actually talking about the RPG. They just spend WAY too long on the whole "Gamer Nation" network stuff and whatnot.

Yeah, I skip straight through all that stuff.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Halloween Jack posted:

"Gamer Nation." In 2019, I can't think of anything more appealing that "gamer" as an identity, and tying it to the idea of the nation-state!

They probably feel like they're stuck with the branding. Their podcast network is "d20 Radio" and they originally started with one of the WotC Star Wars games (Saga?) way back in 2008 when it was much less embarrassing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Halloween Jack posted:

For trees, you may want the Death Watch Warrior spec from Collapse of the Republic. It's a frontline fighter tree with some talents based around jetpack combat.

Isn't that a universal spec, not a starting one?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Servetus posted:

I think the trick with Starfighter combat is that there is very little the ilot can do to make themselves harder to hit, which makes actions like Gain the Advantage inferior to just shooting every round. Which oddly enough makes Gunnery more important than piloting for your pilot. There just aren't that many talents that work like Dodge or other defensive talents that are usable in space combat. The rules actually do a decent job of providing tasks for the rest of the party to do if you're on a freighter, but flying snubfighters just isn't all that because of the vehicle combat rules.

There's a house rule called "Snap Roll" that helps with this. It got turned into the "Barrel Roll" talent for the Clone Pilot in Rise of the Separatists.

http://fragmentsfromtherim.blogspot.com/2015/02/suspending-rules-snap-roll-action.html

EDIT: Wrong book.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 21, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Whoops, yeah, wrong Clone Wars era book. Sorry.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leif. posted:

Is CotR the latest book, or has there been another since?

Gadgets and Gear I believe was released after Collapse of the Republic.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Covok posted:

Yo, who else wants to play superhero Jedi in the High Republic? Going around with a laser sword killing space vikings in an era when everyone was actually not a fascist rear end in a top hat.

Oh is this an interest check? Because hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hopefully it doesn't just mean a D&D 5e conversion.