Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

My thing is, he's such a putz. I mean, like Cruz, he's obviously the kid that got beat up in school repeatedly for telling on everyone else and had no friends. He just reeks of it. I can't believe anyone is inspired by either of them. Charisma factor of zero. I think that's how low the bar is. Dubya and Mitt and Huckabee seem charismatic compared to this crew, which is probably why these guys never make it to the top of the ticket.

I can't get over how Cruz always looks like he's about to burst into tears. And not compassionate, moving, men-can-emote-these-days tears. Really whiny tears like he's throwing a tantrum over not getting to stay up late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'll miss Romney. In a field of cranks and psychopaths, he was an everyday oligarch who just wanted to buy his family a presidency for Christmas. :unsmith:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The government shutdown was immensely unpopular and his name was all over it. He is unpopular with the Republican establishment. Presidential primaries tend to be won by moderates and general elections moreso.

It's not happening.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I can't wait for a bunch of rich dudes to make a shitload of money on ridiculous geoengineering boondoggles after delaying action on climate change long enough that ridiculous geoengineering boondoggles are our only hope.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Please tell me has no realistic shot.

He's the favourite.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

what a blessed day that was

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I wonder what's on the mind of these non-Bernie challengers. They must know they have no hope (Sanders also does, but has different objectives).

I guess they can build profile for 2020/24 and be there to catch the ball if a death or omega scandal hits.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Anybody remember the lily-white camp of Hillary voters who switched sides to McCain in 2008?

No.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

yes yes yes

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

what'd he actually do to the BLM folks again

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm at worst slightly miffed that the Bureau of Land Management supporters hijacked the mic, and mostly pretty pleased because, hey, Bernie added that racial justice stuff to his site and at least seems like he's going to add that into his talking points. I guess we'll see tonight. Can't fault the BLM protesters for doing that if it got something done.

The race stuff was obviously in the works before the rally crash, there's not enough time to prepare it between the events, but it would have been in response to previous black criticism. So arguably they were just late.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

RE: what happens if Sanders does well, if the UK is a guide he'll come under great hostility from liberal media outlets as soon as he threatens to win rather than be an entertaining novelty. However I don't know if your liberals have the same messianic delusions as Blairites, so the UK may well not be a guide.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mrit posted:

Looking back over the past 40 years, the most charismatic candidate is almost always the winner, regardless of background/skill/intelligence. This is why GWB won over Gore(barely) and why Trump will be a thorn in the GOP's side for quite awhile.

This sounds more like the aura of success contributing to the perceived charisma of a candidate, and vice versa for failure.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/has_the_donald_peaked

New Rasmussen poll has Trump at 17%, down from the 26% he had in their last poll. Somebody tell me it isn't the end.

If this turns out accurate it could just be a reflection of the debate and its high ratings giving the other candidates a relative exposure boost.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

nominations arent endorsements and corbyn was treated with hostile contempt by the labour party establishment throughout the campaign. the insane attacks on corbyn were far above anything sanders has seen from the democrats. hes so far off labours status quo that there are fears of him splitting the party because the neoliberals are too butthurt

if sanders starts looking remotely as threatening as corbyn the knives will come out

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

trump is possibly more honest, but ethical and decent is a hard sell for a man in the running for the republican nomination

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The tweet thing probably won't do much damage to Trump, but it's true we haven't seen how he works in an environment where he's not benefiting from the self-fulfilling aura of the frontrunner pulverising the opposition. Slipping in Iowa isn't a big problem for him in itself but if it changes the media narrative he feeds on he could have some trouble.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jeb won't drop until he doesn't have to say he dropped out before Bobby Jindal, and not a minute later.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

RZApublican posted:

Are there breakdowns available for what each campaign is spending their money on? Because I honestly want some numbers to account for Trump's campaign having nearly the lowest amount of cash on hand.

They're not getting a huge amount of of donations IIRC and presumably Trump can cut himself a cheque as needed.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Bob Ojeda posted:

If Rubio/Bush can't win, it becomes really loving difficult to figure out who can win besides Trump or maybe Cruz. Kasich would be a decent general election candidate but he just does not have anywhere close to the necessary support from or appeal to the base and the activists. And everyone else is obviously flawed.

As faddish, flashy candidates drop out under scrutiny, the stage is set for Gilmorementum.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's right. My mother voted for Bush, admitting that we went to war under false pretenses, because "maybe Kerry wasn't the one to get us out of this."

People still hate change, no matter how rapidly it occurs.

Somewhere there's a person who thinks Obama is a Kenyan Muslim and is voting for them anyway because they seem like they're doing an alright job and those other guys seem pretty sketchy.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

Jeb! It connotes craven pandering to the religious right.

If the greatest political crisis of his career is failing to be nominated for President, dude needs the reality check.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pohl posted:

Nope, he's a crazy person and I often feel bad about making fun of him.
The sheer volume of material that he manages to post almost completely excludes him from being a troll and puts him in the crazy person scenario.
He doesn't just post a lot, every post is a longform gem.

Smooth Toblerone.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

I'm willing to believe that Trump is playing by his own rules this cycle, and the surge->scrutiny->decline cycle we saw in 2012 doesn't apply to him, even though he still won't be the nominee.

How do you see his decline working? What's the actual mechanism that'll propel Rubio or Bush or whoever into the lead once the powers that be finally decide to back them solidly? Genuine question.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't see how Rubio positioning himself as an outsider conservative could last longer than one of his rivals for that position mentioning immigration.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

By the Pope himself.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Everyone from Huckabee down should really be at the kids table debate, just for the sake of logistics.

None of them have a real chance except I guess Kasich or maybe Christie if sane Republicans need a plan D.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Base Camp Blanket posted:

Why do people in this thread keep arguing with a poster who is obviously either a troll or schizophrenic?

he transitioned smoothly from promoting trump to promoting carson the moment carson looked to have taken the #1 flavour of the month position, it's actually fascinating that people kept arguing seriously with him

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

what did trump do to kasich exactly

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Dolash posted:

What amazes me more about this cutting out of the RNC is that the other candidates would ever cooperate with Trump to stick it to their own party - I mean, I could see Carson and Cruz going along with some outsider's rebellion thing, but what are the C-listers and even the Establishment reps doing handing Trump a gift-wrapped win? It's too late for them to play the outsider card and pushing away the RNC just puts them all onto Trump's turf of anything-goes zaniness. The best I can figure is the only thing scarier than siding with Trump on the debate format is siding against him and losing when the networks are more interested in carrying the rebel debate than the sanctioned one.

I think we might have to admit that Trump may actually be a pretty good negotiator. He may not be diplomatic, but he's playing these guys like a goddamn fiddle.

He's doing well but the thought of him doing this with guys who have military arsenals and national economies is their hands is a little alarming.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

How is BC still in second place, he's just saying the most retarded, factually wrong things that he can come up with.

Faced with the terrifying prospect of his publicity tour actually making him President, he is trying to sink his campaign as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, he didn't reckon with the fact that he was running in the Republican primary.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Montasque posted:

Trump is actively attacking him pushing a 'snake oil' salesmen angle.

I dunno, this doesn't strike me as a good line for a Republican primary.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Manos: Gifted Hands

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The liberal media had better watch out or Carson will pray them into the cornfield.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Trump can excite people and Cruz can, in the end, fall back on being a Republican politician when habitual Republicans get to the ballot box and have to make a decision. Carson is insubstantial and plain unfit even by the standards of this Republican field and I think if he somehow bumbled his way to the general it'd be a disaster of a different level to the others.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Joementum is wrong to say Trump has zero chance or an infinitesimal chance since there isn't enough data to be that confident in the model. But Trump still hasn't yet delivered anything more than lasting somewhat longer than a normal clown candidate. His showmanship and a hungry media converts this into a narrative of him having already turned the world upside down. It's a marketing angle just as much as 'Make America Great Again' is.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The only actual poll of where Carson supporters would go that I've seen had them splitting between several candidates in rough proportion to where those candidates stood in the polls, rather than all flocking to an understudy. Unfortunately I forget what poll it was. My guess this is because polling is roughly proportional to media coverage and people are going for the guy they've heard of.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

"somewhat longer" is a laughable understatement. At this point people like Joe are going full scale Ron Paul poll skewing, it's pretty funny.

I agree, Giuliani will definitely be the nominee, or I guess maybe Thompson.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Brannock posted:

I still think it's funny that people are still trying to characterize Trump as lasting "somewhat longer than normal for a clown candidate". He's been leading since the end of June. He's almost singlehandedly destroyed Jeb and is in the middle of removing two more candidates from the race. The only person to even come close to challenging him got exposed as a fraud and is sliding in the polls. What more do you want to see?

You're assuming Trump did all those things because he shouted loudly while they were happening. Carson would definitely have imploded all by himself, he's followed a normal arc for a joke candidate. It's plausible that Trump contributed significantly to Jeb!'s vicious circle, but all that shows is that his showmanship can amplify some media spirals, not that he is going to win the nomination.

What more I would want to see is Trump maintaining his leads into the voting season and toward Super Tuesday. Right now, there's not much evidence that he's going to be the nominee, because early primary polling is not a good predictor of the nominee. Of course we won't have that information until much later in the race, but that's why everyone speaking confidently about how Trump has turned the world upside down is wrong: because it's not possible to know that yet.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Brannock posted:

It would take multiple establishment candidates dropping out and consolidating behind either Rubio or Cruz, a brokered convention, or a (several?) surprise defeat for Trump in one of the early states scaring away the fairweather voters. Are there any other reasonable scenarios?

Sure.

The political machines in the early primary and Super Tuesday states finally swing into action behind someone or someones. This turns out to be effective. Remember that Bush doesn't actually have many endorsements yet. We haven't seen what happens if the party decides on someone.

Trump finally says something so stupid, evil or liberal that he can't phase through the backlash, and he enters a downward spiral. He's seemed invincible so far, but it could just be good luck. There's not enough evidence to say.

Trump's numbers suffer a decline as voter and media fashions move on, or voters approach the race differently with voting imminent.

It's not difficult. Trump just has to lose. Like, regular lose, in all the ways candidates lose despite having a lead in the polls at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

You think this coin will average out to 50-50 if we keep flipping it? It just landed on heads three times in a row, at some point you have to ask if there's any plausible scenario where it comes up tails.

KaptainKrunk posted:

That strategy is bound to fail. They could box either Cruz or Trump out, but boxing both out will be next to impossible. Assuming Fiorina, Bush, and Kasich's supporters all switch over to Rubio, and Cruz and Trump quickly cannibalize Carson's supporters, you're still looking at a three-way horse race where each candidate polls roughly the same.

Those aren't reasonable assumptions. Voters don't sit and move around in solid blocks like that.

• Locked thread