Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Shugojin posted:

Cole talks about lots of stuff that breaks the fourth wall. I caught him talking about the plot twist of Jade Empire at one point :v:

I've had him spoil the Sixth Sense and Star Wars. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AndyElusive posted:

loving LOL.

I just watched a clip of what I would assume is a post coital scene between a male inquisitor and Iron Bull where Bull is just laying around buck naked and Cullen, Josi and Cass all walk in one at a time and get completely taken off guard.

"Oh for gently caress'S SAKE!"

I need to see this, link?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lotish posted:

It would have been nice if he had some kind of victory post Haven. I mean, he forces us to sacrifice Hawke or Loghain, but they are hardly a part of the game. If he forced us to make a Ashley/Kaiden choice like Saren did in ME1, it might have felt more personal. At the very least he needed to get something.

Huh. I thought that the choice between Hawke or Stroud was fairly anaemic. I didn't even consider that Alistair or Loghain could be there instead, that makes it MUCH nastier!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pick posted:

Yeah, honestly it felt indulgent even in DA2. I didn't need to see Zevran or Nathaniel. Or Anders.

The three of them between them make up my top three favourite characters from Origins and one was a ten-minute worthless dungeon, one was a slightly longer, more fun dungeon, and one was Anders.

At least Nate showed up to give me a hand with Meredith. :unsmith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
In Wicked Eyes, how could I have reunited Celene and Briala? I got the locket, showed it to both of them, then when it came down to it took Gaspard down without implicating Briala. The game's acting as though I told Celene what Briala had been up to (had an option to apologise to Solas about it) and I didn't get an option to get them back together. Should I have gone with the three-way-truce?

Also why does Solas's formal gear hat clip so horribly through his face?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Reveilled posted:

It's a shame the events of both Origins and Inquisition, with how diverse the potential outcomes now are, mean he'll probably never show up again.

They put the effort in for this game and it won't be much different for the next. Alistair/Loghain/Anora as ruler, right? And mostly if Alistair's a Warden then Loghain's king. If Alistair's king then Loghain's the warden or Stroud is bland placeholder. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept on pulling out that bunch in varying combinations for a while (plus Hawke, who isn't going away any time soon unless you killed her off). Apart from that it's godbaby/no godbaby and they pretty much wrote that whole deal out.

Loghain even being available continues to be a delightful surprise to me.

Alistair being king really does neuter the Fade choice in Inquisition. Player character from last game (lovingly recreated in the new character creator, if you're anything like me) or, um, moustachey guy from the last game? Gee I dunno

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm doing Varric's companion quest and have I hit a weird glitch or did they forget to give Bianca a running animation. She sort of toddles around looking like she's walking doubletime.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Shroomie posted:

DA2 had it's problems, but I had a ton of fun playing it.

Played it for the first time recently and had an absolute blast all the way through. Got pretty bored of Sundermount by the end though and all the other maps

cams posted:

Good job.

Important reminder so players are not mislead, Tempests are absolutely better with daggers, Assassins absolutely better with bows. Do not let Cole and Sera mislead you.

I respecced them both as the thread has suggested and Sera is very obviously a killer but Cole seems to lag behind. What should I be putting points into along with archery?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of mages, I'm considering doing another full trilogy playthrough starting with a DAO mage nightmare run. Obviously my main spec will be Arcane Warrior because how could you not, but is it worthwhile to throw Blood Magic on as my second or should I just stick with Spirit Healer? The idea of wading into battle in full plate and exploding the blood of every enemy around me as I tear through them with a sword is appealing, and I have no qualms about rolling with Wynne for the actual healing, but I have no idea how well the two specializations actually synergize.

It wasn't on nightmare but that pairing was my first and only playthrough and it was a lot of fun. There's one particular spell that paralyses and does damage in a huge radius that I abused like crazy.

Blood magic is also great plot-wise as I guess after the shitstorm at the Circle the mage warden learns zero lessons and is just like "yeah that was fun".

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This newest patch did something to banter again. I've been tooling around in the Hissing Wastes for all of an hour and my guys won't shut up. They've never been so chatty.

Also DLC, hooray! Not PS4, not hooray :sigh: Time to bow out of the thread for a couple weeks.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I've gone with mage for all three. After I had a mage Warden (which is the best origin I think) and a mage Hawke I couldn't see why I should change up.

So on that note, if I was to want to do a rogue inquisitor, having only played mage in the past, is it worth replaying 2 as a rogue to get a feel for it? (for what it's worth, I enjoyed 2 and want to replay it at some point, since romancing Anders and rivaling Fenris made me feel bad and I'd like to try the opposite).

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ApplesandOranges posted:

DA2 Rogue plays a little differently from DAI Rogue, although the fundaemntals are the same. That said DA2 Rogue is pretty enjoyable, you get quick melee-close ins as daggers and explosions and rains of arrows as Archery.

I think I'd go daggers because Varric's great and gently caress Sebastian in all possible ways. I didn't manage to make him hate me so I sort of want him around for my next game to get him firmly in the rival camp. Although I also lost Isabela post-Act 2 and I'll want to try and keep her for my second go.

It was a good time, by some decision at the last possible moment I got her friendship high enough that she left (because I hadn't done her Questioning Beliefs) but I still had her passive bonus for the rest of the game. Isabela's got your back! (but she is not here).

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Crow Jane posted:

Dagger rogues are also tons of fun to play in DA2, albeit a bit ridiculous. They kill things fast enough that the endless waves of enemies become much less of a hassle.

So, I'm kind of new to PSN, and I'm annoyed by this early access thing. Is there any word on when we can expect to get the DLC? I want to play through it with my current elf PC, but I'm right near end-game and would like to finish up sooner than later.

I'm in the same place on PS4, the only big things I have left to do is a dragon and the last mission. Also worried I might be overlevelled for the final boss, let alone the DLC. I'm level 23 or so. Not sure whether to finish it and do the DLC on another character, or hang around and do it with my current inquisitor, who is as far as I'm concerned the canon one (female elf mage romancing Solas) and the one who I'll carry over to future games. If it's a week I'll do it with her. If it's a month I'll maybe replay DA2 in the meantime and start a new guy, if I don't do a post-endgame one with my main inquisitor (Solas is a big part of my team but I guess I can go without)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Can anyone place who voices Seggrit, the merchant in Haven? He sounds amazingly familiar.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So I'm playing a stabby rogue and at level 5 in the Hinterlands everything around my level dies super quick (playing on Hard) but I've picked up the Skirmisher skill, the upgrade from Flank Attack, and is the stealth supposed to last forever? I've not tested it in combat but regular stealth wears off right? I'm having to activate and deactivate regular stealth or my character is a constant ghost just from killing sheep for the refugees.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Thanks for the rundown of the DA:O DLC. I'll look into Stone Prisoner and skip Witch Hunt. (Just going to hit the button to stab Morrigan on Keep for the full experience.)

Witch Hunt is real short buuut the mage guy you hang out with is one of the most annoying people I wish had shown up in future games, he's great.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Once again this playthrough I spent way too long tooling around in Haven and listening to all the little conversations and now I'm at Skyhold it's again a disappointment that all of the Haven guys get replaced and have one line before never doing anything again.

I always get quite attached to Minaeve, Seggrit and Adan, they have a lot of personality for such small roles.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So there are three dragons with names that don't in English describe their surroundings or elemental type:

Kaltenzahn (ice dragon; German - cold tooth)
Hivernal (ice dragon; French - winter)
Vinsomer (lightning dragon; ?)

Where does Vinsomer come from, language-wise? I can't work it out.

e: I forgot the Mistral but that's French for a cold wind so she's in the club. It's just Vinsomer I don't get.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cythereal posted:

It's very close to "vinsorme" or "vinsormr," which would make it roughly "vine serpent" or "pasture serpent" in Old Norse. Vinland was the Nordic name for the parts of North America they explored.

Sounds like that's it. Thanks!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

grack posted:

Don't get me wrong, I did the Templar quest on a playthrough but I haven't gone back to it since, as the quest sucks and how it affects the rest of the game is not to my liking.

Having Cole around early is good but Dorian is mad at you and that's not a worthwhile tradeoff. I enjoyed the quest itself, defending the great hall is real tense when you don't know it's coming or the consequences. And Barris is a good bro.

The mage quest is absolutely better though. I much prefer Samson to Calpernia and killing Fiona made me feel like poo poo.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

pmchem posted:

ugh well then I guess I'll figure out what chest farming should be done. I'd much rather be repeatedly killing dragons or demons for new schematics but that's not possible/practical?

Most schematics you buy or pick up organically. I've never needed to cheese chests to get gear. Either way works just fine. Just play the game, quit stressing.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I just did Here Lies the Abyss with Varric along and left Hawke behind. I've never felt so guilty. Last time I left Stroud but this time it was between her and Alistair. It was ok until Varric came running up. "Where's Hawke?" poo poo :smith:

At least I got to give him a hug after.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Wasabi the J posted:

Nearly ALL the Iron Bull and Blackbeard dialogue clicks so much more.

But the dialogue where he talks about the false calling having no power over him I got chills unexpectedly. Totally changed the tone from badass with new knowledge and an iron will, to an almost resigned sadness.

Oh and to the guy not recruiting Sera, her messing with Blackwall is the best sometimes.

He's also great for the Nightmare. "Ah, there's nothing like a Grey Warden. And you are nothing like a Grey Warden..."

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Warmachine posted:

it's been forever since I heard Alistair be incurably stupid on screen.

For my second DAI playthrough I had Alistair as the Warden ally and it was a real downer to hear how much the guy is phoning it in. He doesn't do much voice acting apart from the big role as Alistair and seems to just do bit parts in dramas, but his job in DAI is really lacklustre. It's especially bad when compared with how decent DA:O Alistair was. This time, really boring delivery with huge random pauses between sentences and even words. The voice direction in the game is mostly good so he was particularly disappointing. Al wasn't even stupid. He was just... dull.

Loghain is miles better.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Blackwall spoilers: if you listen to him and read all the codices his lie becomes really apparent by the time you reach Skyhold. He says he was in Ferelden during the Blight, which is a red flag for anyone who played Origins anyway, since Alistair was pretty sure there were no other Wardens around. In Skyhold where Leliana hangs out there's a codex entry that's just another letter... from Warden Blackwall just after Cailan died, stating that he's stuck in Orlais with the other Wardens.

It's so unsubtle and I'm sure everyone else took note of it but I didn't first time through.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Nasgate posted:

So after watching a bit of gameplay and reading how much you guys seem to enjoy it, I am planning on getting Inquisition. However, I want to beat at least Origins first since i own ultimate. Are there any tips for what to do/what to skip? I've already done the raising an army for redcliffe, Dalish, and the Circle. In the middle of the Dwarf one. And any tips on making a broken PC in case i want to start over and make different choices? The combat is ok, but rarely gripping, so id like to power through poo poo when i go through with Hindsight.

You're most of the way through the game. Orzammar is the longest of the four big setpieces. What origin are you playing? Mage is the most broken in Origins and II I think, not so much in Inquisition. The Keep lets you set your decisions to import into Inquisition if there's anything you regret and/or don't want to play.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Rinkles posted:

So I was supposed to randomly waddle east until I came upon a dragon, or did I miss something?

Have you got all the key fragments? There's five. The end of the quest is where the dragon hangs out.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lotish posted:

• Enhanced Studies (never tested to see how useful the XP boost is)

For what it's worth this one puts a guy in Skyhold who gives a fetch quest around the keep, for if you haven't had enough of exploring it at that point.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Stroop There It Is posted:

Varric's card looks like that if you left Hawke in the Fade.

I think it always flips to the sad card at some point - either what you said or after his personal quest?

Man, Varric is real sad in this game. :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Is it like the DA2 plot dlc where if I go post endgame I can take certain unavailable characters?

In other news: Found Blackwall's VA in Witcher 3. He doesn't even try to sound different :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So for the first time I might have a Blackwall problem? Spoilers for his personal quest I just got back from the Winter Palace, having done Adamant beforehand, and he's still here? He won't take me for a drink like he usually does and then disappear? I'm not romancing him or anything. Can I kickstart his quest somehow? I've zoned out and in again to be sure and yeah. I'm sure he should be thinking about leaving at this point, right?

e: on console

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 19, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Bored posted:

That quest has bugged out on the two playthroughs after my first. He just keeps hanging around and I have decent approval with my warrior even if it was a problem with approval on my rogue. He didn't leave until the 3rd act in my first playthrough, where his quest worked. That's after you go to the fade. I don't think you can get to that quest until after you do the winter palace, either. So you might just not be far enough along.

As I said I just got back from the winter palace and did Adamant/the fade beforehand. My next main quest is What Pride Had Wrought, the temple of Mythal stuff. Me and Blackwall are pretty good pals I think, I exiled the Wardens but kept him around, and got Celene killed which he didn't like much, but apart from that we're on decent terms.

Blackwall's page on the DA wiki now says his first name is Gordon which I think is great. Warden Gordon. Is that name said in the game?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I've been to the Still Ruins in the Western Approach a bunch of times and every time I wander a bit and look at everything. The area designers really had fun with that place.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I didn't have much banter on my last playthrough but this time I've had a ton. Taking Blackwall and Dorian out together a lot resulted in a nice relationship. They bickered nonstop for eighty hours then eventually called a truce after Blackwall's personal quest. :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kajeesus posted:

-Is there any way to sort the order party members appear in the member select screen and the Skyhold inventory? I like to add party members in order, and Iron Bull is all the way at the back while Varric is near the front. I also don't want Sera's fuckin card to be the first on the list.

-Is there ever any need to hold on to crafting materials? So far, I've just made stuff whenever I get a better schematic, and I haven't been short yet.

-Is there anywhere I can buy keep furniture? My Bed and Drapery sections in particular are rather barren.

E: Also, my DAO Warden got the Ultimate Sacrifice ending, and then went on to do stuff in Awakening anyway, because that was the style at the time. How is this handed in DA:I? Can I assume the Warden is dead and the Amaranthine stuff just kind of magically happened anyway?

Nope.

No point not keeping 'em! They don't take up inventory space, so.

Val Royeaux, there's a shop on the market that sells beds and windows and drapes and so on.

Yeahhh I think that's probably the case.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh boy, same release date for all platforms. That's nice.

Looks pretty cool, I still really like the Deep Roads.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Geostomp posted:

I'm still not seeing it on the site or the PS4 itself.

Me neither in the UK. :sigh:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I just read the codex entry for Storvacker and it's incredible. Not at all the reference I expected to see.

quote:

She is the hold-beast of Stone-Bear Hold. All other bears in the area are mere imitations.

Storvacker. How do I even begin to explain Storvacker?

Storvacker is flawless.

She has two ancient elven trees for claw sharpening and a silver honey dish.

I hear that her claws are valued in Denerim at 10,000 sovereigns.

I hear that she sells her shed fur to Orlesian master weavers in Val Royeaux.

Her favorite story is Hard in Hightown.

One time, she met Alistair Therein [sic], fabled warrior of the Fifth Blight, and he told her she was pretty.

One time, she clawed me in the face. It was amazing.

—From Ruminations upon the Avvar and Their Customs by Reginald de Gorge

:haw:

e: The Descent is great so far. Always loved the Deep Roads. Found a brief mention of a pair of old friends down there. On a mug if you're looking. Bodahn and Sons Quality Wares and Enchantments.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I found a few new Bianca schematics which is great but everything so far results in a straight damage drop from some uncommon arms that I picked up god knows where :(

I'd never seen Arms VII before but even with dragon bone it doesn't get better than what he's got. 215 DPS is good enough I guess. With +5 guard armour he holds up just fine.

Relatedly do staff schematics ever end up with 200+ damage? I can make a ton of staves but none are that impressive. Dorian's falling behind in damage though that's not really why I keep him around. Meanwhile I've got a pair of 450 DPS daggers and shred everything

• Locked thread