Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
There is a Hansa Teutonica big box on the way, but no estimated release date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've been thinking about Bus a lot lately. The rules are so simple and elegant for what seems to be a pretty deep game. I've even tried a solo 3p game on TTS, and again the mechanisms have felt really clever.

The only problem is that I'm not sure my group will take to such a potentially mean/cutthroat game. The game is pricey enough that I don't want to gamble on a potential flop.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I adore Spirit Island. My favorite coop game. I usually play it 2p. My two times trying it 4p (with 2 new players each time) dragged on for ages and did not go too well.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

threelemmings posted:

We've played 4p with several different groups and I think the problem is less the number if players and more that new players make less efficient moves, which makes the Invaders harder to root out and extending the game. Playing with the same people the second time was quick and after the third we are at the point to start upping difficulty to keep it interesting.

Guiding people's opening moves is helpful, there's a lot of spirits who only start running well when you get the basic cycle of one of their innates running. Lot of new players don't realize how core those are and focus too much on the cards.
Yeah, it was because half the players were new. But doing all the bookkeeping, hand-holding 1-2 new player(s) every single turn, while also having to deal with my own spirit in a timely manner was exhausting.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Ravendas posted:

The KS listed 200+, but Cole before said 350ish cards I think, so we'll see if they're some kind of fake stretch goal kinda thing.
You think people would do that? Just make up fake stretch goals on Kickstarter?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think people particularly want the engine and combos which are scarce in Castles of Burgundy. Rather, it is a worker placement game where the workers are dice.

(I was thinking of bringing it up too!)

And yet pulling off combos in CoB can be extremely satisfying!

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Just quoting this to clarify, for new players I will give the best advice I have regardless of how bad it will wreck me. It's only for experienced players I'll point things out less optimaly and more politically. I appreciate all the perspectives everyone has given, I'm glad there are multiple people on both sides of the argument and as I said on my initial post (at the end) I do intent to play less politically going forward because it was important to them.
I'll admit I'd be annoyed if someone kept giving unsolicited advice to experienced players that didn't need it, unless everyone at the table was on the same page

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Redundant posted:

The Root story brings up another etiquette question. I ended up teaching Root because the guy who owned the game barely knew the rules. They regularly referred/read from the rule book during the teach and couldn't answer questions when the game started. I could answer them and sometimes would and gradually questions became addressed to me not the owner. I felt like an absolute tool for doing it though even though they had made a handful of mistakes up to that point already and people were losing interest due to constant references to the rules. Is there a correct way to go about this sort of thing? Do you just leave people to flounder? Ask if they'd like you to take over?
I wouldn't play a game where the teacher didn't know the rules, especially not something of the weight of Root. When I teach, I make sure I know them so that things flow relatively smoothly.

This is kind of a non-answer because I'm the teacher/collector in our group :/

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
They should put that on the back of the Terraforming Mars box.
"Better than Everdell and Wingspan"

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Eraflure posted:

So my mom and sister are really enjoying Pandemic and Dead of Winter and we have a lot of time for board games, and I'd like to capitalize on that. They enjoy coop games but are not against competitive stuff, as long as it isn't much more complicated than DoW. I'd rather avoid heavy euro games, as they think I'm much better than them at that kind of stuff and tend to get discouraged very quickly. On the other hand, I dislike games with a lot of randomness, so it can be hard to strike a balance. Any suggestion for games that would fit the bill and work well with 3 players?

The Crew is a simple coop trick-taking game and has been getting rave reviews.

Quirky Circuits is a really cute light coop programming game.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

mellifluous posted:

Any recommendations for pick up and deliver games? I have The Great Heartland Hauling Co. (bought on whim to get an online order to free shipping status, and it's a fun, quick, small-box game), Istanbul, and Import/Export (haven't played this one yet, but I think I remember seeing positive reviews in this thread).

Any recommendations for network/route building games? I have Hansa Teutonica (love it) and Gold West (a good amount of meaningful decisions in a short playtime).
Bus is an excellent route building pick up and deliver games. You build bus routes and pick up passengers. You can encroach on other players' routes and steal their passengers too.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Eraflure posted:

Alright thread, you've already helped me out the other day and so I come back with another request. Please give me your best fantasy games for 3 players that don't devolve into constant backstabbing. It would ideally have enough depth to be interesting without being completely obtuse, and have some theme and storytelling to it. I think Gloomhaven would have worked, but is not an option because reasons. 2 of those players haven't played a ton of board games, so you can go wild with the elves, dragons and other clichés other players would be sick of.

Legends of Andor is a nice euro efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy adventure. The story is not the selling point, but it is enjoyable (but generic fantasy). The whole trilogy makes for a satisfying journey. Rules are fairly simple, and scenario 1 is a tutorial you can quickly jump into.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

uncle blog posted:

What are some good solo-able games that are great for isolation?
Spirit Island
Mage Knight
Leaving Earth

grassy gnoll posted:

On that note, is the Clockwork expansion for Root worth a buy if I thought Mechanical Marquise was kinda lackluster?
You could try the PnP Better Bots Project first, which that expansion is based on.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

mellifluous posted:

Yes! I forgot to mention this; maybe I unconsciously repressed it. It just makes me wonder which poor intern/peon has to clean it up.
It's his kids.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I actually find the bookkeeping/admin of Spirit Island fairly light relative to its weight.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

nessin posted:

I'm looking for some games that are either 2 player specific or work best at 2 players that play reasonably fast (under an hour) and aren't too simple? I picked up a few games that I made sure had a 2 player option, like Bargain Quest (which probably falls into the too simple category but I like the theme), Kashgar, Race for the Galaxy, and The Crew, all of which I've enjoyed but are significantly less interesting/enjoyable as a 2 player game. Doesn't have to specifically be a card game either, even though I just noticed every example I listed is one.
Did you play with the 2p advanced rules (play 2 phase cards per round) of Race?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

That's a good price.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

Would love recommendations for a relatively lightweight 2p co-op game. The sweetspot in terms of difficulty / complication has been Pandemic - we've just started Pandemic Legacy after playing the base game a dozen or so times and they're loving the discovery process.

I'm looking specifically for co-op stuff because Magic has been the top choice for directly competitive. Although I'd love to grab Spirit Island, after playing it on TTS, it's definitely too much for them to keep in mind at once and still enjoy. Space Alert has been a little too anxiety inducing with the time limit, so I'm trying to figure out what the options in the middle are.
Aeon's End is a medium-light coop deckbuilder.

Quirky Circuits a light coop action programming game

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Kerro posted:

Dinogenics - I loved the theming - it's basically Jurassic Park the board game, and does a really good job of pulling it off as a mid-weight worker placement game. A few years ago I would have loved something like this, but now it felt a little too generic with so many more innovative worker placement games on the market. I think it would be a good alternative to Viticulture as it's about the same weight, and has similar gameplay in many ways (with some of the same problems of card-draw affecting the gameplay quite significantly)
I would love it if Uwe made a game like this.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Plenty of optional entanglement in Concordia. Just leech off other players' provinces and profit from their prefecting.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
To be honest, gaming has really helped me take my mind off things lately. I've been feeling a lot of anger and hopelessness this past week (and I'm speaking as someone in a position of privilege not from the US who can tune out at my leisure). Gaming has been my escape.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

Would be nice to have another coop that isn't Shipwreck Arcana, Codenames Duet, Hanabi, or The Mind. Something like Schotten Totten sized, around 80 cards and a few tokens, is about max capacity. I have no clue how I got Las Vegas or Shipwreck Arcana in.
Sprawlopolis is only 18 cards and is a great coop city-builder puzzle.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Did think about it. Wife wasn't too keen - given that fact and its putative timesink status it's behind a few other options for now. Maybe not quite apples for apples, but I prefer the look of Mage Knight for something heavy and time consuming that I could play with or without her.
Mage Knight is a much better solo game imo (I would never play Gloomhaven solo).

Gloomhaven has less rules overhead (especially for the players who don't do all the admin/bookkeeping). I find myself checking little exceptions or specific rules in MK more often.

Mage Knight has WAY faster setup. Gloomhaven feels like a chore sometimes.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
BGG and Tom Vasel and the likes are more interested in the absence of tension than in anything else.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

https://twitter.com/wizkidsgames/status/1272608147962822657

Looking through the games, it's not like, a big deal, but worth sharing at least.
Looking at that list, easiest boycott ever.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Publishers get a pass constantly. Whitewashed games like Macaraibo still get released to this day, and the predominantly white male gamers who bought it are the ones who want to keep 'politics' out of gaming.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

What is some good new hotness that's on TTS that's good at 5?
Hansa Teutonica is getting a new big box soon. That counts as new hotness, right?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Let's not forget that the British Empire waged war against China just so that it could sell opium that China didn't want.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
My favorite small game is probably Sprawlopolis. It's a surprisingly (coop) clever puzzle city-builder. The variety of objectives makes it very replayable, which is remarkable considering it's only 18 cards.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Is first Martians worth picking up cheap from a friend who is moving?

It's not about something being cheap. Ask yourself the important questions: if someone asked you at gunpoint to choose between First Martians and a bullet, which would you pick?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I kind of feel dirty playing WW2 wargames now, knowing the crowd that also likes those games.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've played a lot of WW2 strategy games and sims online over the years. I've always been fine playing both sides, because for me it was more for the military history, the what ifs (and also the weapons, the technology - "playing war", I guess) - but never about glorifying the war itself, because of course war sucks and of course Nazis were bad. There was never any debate to be had. With neo-nazis coming in the limelight more and more, it's not so clearcut anymore.

There have always been Wehraboos in WW2 online communities. They love to brag about German technological superiority and complain about Russian bias when they lose. I like to drop a 'Rommel was a war criminal' in the chat once in a while, nothing gets them angrier.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

I've enjoyed Trial by Trolly, because you get to build little narratives about what's going on on the various trolley tracks, and then a bunch of people get run over by a train, which gives you that naughty fun without actually being racist trash.

I like the boomer variant https://youtu.be/DFMS9AVE2Fw

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Anyone here with strong opinions about Troyes? I've been wanting a new game that's a bit more interactive than my usuals (Concordia and Castles of Burgundy being my most played at the moment) and it looks like a pretty good fit, but I'm happy to entertain anything that fits into the general category of "Euro game that is less complex than doing your taxes and isn't multiplayer solitaire"
For more interactive euros of similar weight as Concordia and CoB and very simple rulesets: El Grande and Bus! Both can be taught in less than 10 min.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
You need to be on a route to be able to build. Colonists in cities can't do anything.

Remember, you get X moves (being the number of colonists), so just move one colonist twice.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Gloomhaven narrative campaign/story: Never in the history of boardgaming has so little been done with so much.

And I say this as a Gloomhaven fan.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I love Fields of Arle. Definitely my fav 2p euro.

Bear in mind Concordia 2p plays best with the Creta or Corsica expansion maps.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Cervixalot posted:

Any recommendations on Euro-style board games to ‘graduate’ to after Settlers of Catan for a group of 3-4 people?

My friends and I recently started playing Settlers again during the pandemic on colonist.io, and will probably mess around with the expansions when they release on that platform. We’ve played Ticket to Ride before, but not much else in the vein of SoC.

Online is a must, as we live in different states.
El Grande on yucata.de
Very simple ruleset for its weight.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
For coop, I'll also recommend:
-Aeon's End
-Legends of Andor
-Robinson Crusoe
-Gloomhaven: Paws of the Lion
-Quirky Circuits or The Crew for lighter fare

I feel like having to go from Spirit Island to Pandemic would be a massive disappointment for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Concordia's strength is in how elegant it is. Play one card, perform its action. That's your turn.