Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'd suggest that the OP include a link to the Wargames thread - the two hobbies are so closely intertwined that it probably merits a redirect, especially when someone more or less new walks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

electrigger posted:

Mind writing up a bit about why you think its good? I'm on the fence about diving into this one and i've watched videos of it but it seems like it could potentially be rather shallow, I don't want to end up with a lemon.

It's really, really outstanding. You've got a lot of the depth of a miniatures game without all the empty calories. Everything you need for reference is right there. You still need to be able to guesstimate if you're gonna get whacked or if it's the enemy who'll have to suffer the first hit. Races all play very differently and there doesn't seem to be (at least inasmuch as our group played it) any obviously overpowered or unfun ways to build your force. It works really great as a 1v1, and since it plays (and army builds!) a lot faster than a miniatures game, you can usually play a game, come up with an idea for a new force, grab an entirely different bunch of units and play another game that won't be anything like the first. I'm really hoping for some more expansions, because it's the bomb, and you don't need much to get a lot of people to have fun with it. I've posted about our mini-tournament in the last thread, you've probably seen it, because I literally can't shut up about it. We ran it for eight people with just two core sets and one box of each of the expansions, and with a tiny bit of proxying (and most people just doing their own thing, so very few armies were doubled) it worked.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

electrigger posted:

So I guess I'll post this trip report on Diskwars. Finally pulled the trigger on this one since I'm such a big fanboy for the Warhammer fantasy universe. It's pretty satisfying. Plays in about 1-2 hours once everyone knows the rules. It is essentially the tabletop wargaming experience stripped down and made to be able to fit in a tube of pogs. Have played two games so far, one where I closely beat one of my gaming friends and another where I lost horribly like 31-5 against my wife who managed to somehow pin 1/3 of my army under a Bloodthirster. Don't let 1/3 of your army get pinned under a Bloodthirster btw.

Actually collecting a real warhammer army and paying the requisite million dollars and million man hours of painting time doesn't appeal to me at all so I find the diskwars experience very enjoyable.

I only have a couple of criticisms. One, shooting seems like for lack of a better phrase: a crapshoot. Either you make good rolls and you manage to snipe key units off the board and secure a good position, or you roll bad and don't. From what I understand about the real Warhammer game this is an accurate simulation of what goes on.

The other is that the game looks like its ultra dead so if you are hoping for a local group to game with or even for some new expansions beyond what is already out I suppose you are just out of luck. The game is going to be one where I only get to play when others use my set, and this is a tragedy because this game would be freaking awesome in a league/tournament setting.

One of us, one of us

And yes, it is virtually incredible in an organized play setting, but like I said: you just need to lure in a few friends and convince them to play different armies, and you can be playing two games simultaneously without issue. And that's enough to get a little tournament or a semi-regular meetup league going. Getting a theme helps.

And yeah, shooting is a bit... hit or miss. But I think that's okay, if you have a reasonably balanced army, bad shooting rolls won't do you in, and if you have a ranged-based army, probability dictates you will eventually hit a bunch. The upside of that is that as long as you are well-positioned, you're hardly risking anything in exchange. In melee, trades happen more often than not. In ranged combat, you instantly know the results, and don't really get hit in return.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fat Samurai posted:

I pitched the idea to a friend and he immediately asked me if I wasn't too old to be playing with tazos (Pogs). It's kinda hard to convince someone to play.

Tell him you don't want to play tazos, you want to be the master of Tazo Libre.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

When I got started into the hobby, I played Arkham Horror and bought Star Munchkin and the Munchkin Western version. I remember also buying one of the Arkham Horror expansions (Dunwich?) even though I didn't own the base game. I also really liked Fluxx as well. This must have been about 8 years ago. Well that's my story :tipshat:

Pretty much the same. I got roped into the hobby by Arkham and Munchkin, and I own a copy of each to this day, because I never throw or trade anything away. I don't regret buying AH, because for all its flaws it's really given me a lot of fun time with friends. I even still drag it out to the table with some of them, even if more and more ironically these days.

I do regret buying Munchkin.

I also regret that both are in better shape than my ten or so years old copy of Neuroshima Hex, which I bought even before those two, but it doesn't count because I bought it for the Neuroshima label.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Poopy Palpy posted:

Woodcutter is a bad card.

Thought we were in the Netrunner thread for a second there.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you ludoholics think about Pret-a-porter? Looks like it's super out of print. I have some friends who I think would be really into the theme

I've played it a couple of times at cons. I don't recall much about it, other than going into it mostly for laughs.

There's a funny story to it, though. The first time we played it, we sat in the convention games room and started grabbing at the cards. After a couple rounds, someone posited an important question:

What the hell is boho?*

Nobody at the table knew, and - as it always happens when you're with friends at cons, it seems - with every passing turn it became more and more of a joke. Suddenly, we noticed the designer passing by, so we called out to him. He comes up, we exchange some pleasantries, yeah, game is nice, we're having fun, but Mr Trzewiczek, what the hell is boho?

He looked at my sister, who was playing with us, and went "Well, the lady ought to know!", then he hosed off to do something else.

We still don't know.

*this term may or may not be present in the English version of the game

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I know nobody cares, but Lichtenstein has just announced Reikland Invitational is coming up! I am so excited.

Just have to not die until May.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Countblanc posted:

I've never played it, but Warhammer Diskwars gets mentioned every once and again and uses that sorta mechanic.

Did someone say Diskwars, aka Best Wrestler Simulator 2014?

(coming soon)

(no, I'll never stop trying to get people to try Diskwars)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Megasabin posted:

How is Warhammer Disk Wars? I feel like Tash Kalar holds the crown for my 1v1 gaming needs, but I just love the Warhammer lore so much, and I have no desire to actually ever get involved with miniatures. This seems like a nice way to enjoy the world without really getting involved with the miniature game itself.

It's a great game. How much of it will allow you to experience the world of WFRP is probably another matter, but it's okay, just fill in the gaps with your own devices.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
This is honestly my second favourite picture from that afternoon.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mister Sinewave posted:

Oui SVP, enfin

gently caress you, I hate you.

Content: I think alt-art Tragedy Looper is a good idea as an alternative, but not as the only option, and I doubt anyone will ever consider it sane from a business point of view to release two versions of the same game on the same market.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 4, 2015

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

silvergoose posted:

Would love to see you try that in Napoleon's Triumph. :3:

Grand Strategy is deciding which games to play.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I really need to find someone who'd explain to me what exactly is wrong with the new ruleset, aside from those silly mustache rules, since it sounds like a magnificent trainwreck, but I'm not that well-versed in WHFB to tell.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Kai Tave posted:

Imagine a wargame where there are no points costs for units and no preset armies to deploy which means that basically everything is down to a gentlemen's agreement between players as to what constitutes a "fun and balanced" game because there are no guidelines and no real rules preventing you from fielding nothing but 10 enormous super-tough and incredibly deadly demons and then if your opponent fields a larger force than yours you get to choose special victory objectives for yourself that will let you insta-win the game if you complete them because the only factor that matters is number of models. So I bring 10 Bloodfucker Facesmashers and you bring an army of 10 Goblin Shitpickers and this is considered a balanced game. Or you bring 30 goblins maybe and oh dear, you outnumber me so I get to choose a special "I win" condition, maybe it'll be the one where all I have to do is survive for five or six rounds and I win the game.

No rules for flanking, no rules preventing shooting into (or out of) melee, no more ranks or formations since it's now a skirmish-style game instead of a mass battles wargame like it used to be, you roll for initiative every round which means it's eminently possible to get back to back turns, a "unit" is a nebulous term defined as "any number of models" which means that there are some things which allow you to summon additional units mid-battle and therefore you can just plop a hundred additional models, and the fundamental building-block of gameplay is simply rolling buckets of d6's over and over again.

:allears: I'm just glad I never really got into miniature wargames.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Some Numbers posted:

My first game, I was the USSR and my opponent conceded under those circumstances.

The problem was, the way he explained it, I thought that the player who caused the DEFCON to hit 1 would lose, so I said "there's no way I'd make that play."

He refused to continue playing, because it was the correct play for me so I had to win.

Yeah, in my experience, 95 times out of a hundred newbies understand it that way unless you specifically point out the interaction (and possibly also explain the concept of Defcon Suicide cards).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lichtenstein posted:

Then, remember there is only one difficult thing about this game: understanding the definition of an engagement.

Coming to terms with the fact that we're not getting more of it is also difficult :smith:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Yeah, right.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Malloreon posted:

it's so good though

I sometimes wonder if anyone in the west actually ever played it and what their reactions to the theme were because I am a vicarious attention whore for pollackness.

Also rule of thumb on Polish designers:

- Oracz is good
- Trzewiczek is garbage, but I kind of like him as a person

E: - LICHTENSTEIN IS THE WORST

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lichtenstein posted:

Games don't cheat people, people cheat people!!!

*plays FoF for 20 minutes*

"This would never have happened if he had a cheat"

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I am a Tabletop Simulator hater, seeing as it does nothing VASSAL can't do aside from monkeycheese (FYI this word is no longer underlined by my Firefox spellchecker) and costs money, so when a Steam acquaintance of mine tried to get me in on a four-pack of those, I indignantly told him to stuff it.

His response was "BUT VASSAL DOESN'T HAVE MGS-THEMED RISK!"

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

bobvonunheil posted:

I don't know what world you live in where this game looks less terrifying than Chaos in the Old World

These animals all look like they were stolen from The Peaceable Kingdom, the lion could just as well be traced from some versions.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fat Samurai posted:

What happened to your Russian Civil War with Vodka and a crocodile AAR, BTW?

It turned into a vodka and vodka LP. The crocodile went on to have a career in pro wrestling.

None of this is a joke.

Durendal posted:

You should do an LP of Fields of Fire.

He did. He managed to get to the second mission before deciding he's unable to process the situation on the board after three MGs chopped the company to pieces.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

StashAugustine posted:

-I was interested in the art for the Polish edition, it should be possible to make that work with English speakers if you print out the rules, right?

The Polish edition is actually mostly language-independent, since rules text has been replaced with icons AFAIR (pretty lovely ones, though, I had played Coup before and could not for the life of me deduce which PL card corresponded to which original card). The only instances of text on the cards are the card names. As long as you print out the rules and possibly cheat sheets with appropriate colour-coding (since I am fairly sure PL edition has different colours on specific roles), you should be good to go.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
/\/\/\/\/\ :argh:

Jedit posted:

LUDORUM BABYLONES EUNT DOMUS

Of the games the Babylons, they go the house?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Mantis posted:

God drat you FFG just sack up and make my Forbidden Stars race expansions.

and yes I know about that Reddit thread and yes I know they've probably already abandoned it but God damnit

They'll get on it as soon as they're done printing Skaven for Diskwars.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

StashAugustine posted:

don't toy with us

It's true, Lichtenstein's uncle works at FFG and he told me

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh, God, I'm going to play Android this Saturday. I don't know whether to be excited or terrified. Should I try to make any sense of the manual beforehand, or is it a lost cause anyway?

From my experience you should not focus on trying to understand the rules and use them to win, since the game, unfortunately, is a hot mess. Just lay back, focus on the cool theme and think of Fun.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Pictures page?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, FFG have officially announced they will no longer be allowed the Games Workshop license.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

This means all GW-affiliated products will be discontinued from February 28 2017 onward.

This includes Warhammer: Diskwars.

:smithicide:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

StashAugustine posted:

Does Diskwars need multiple cores or expansions?

You can get by with one of each, but two Core Sets are definitely recommended. Expansions come with full playsets and there is no need to buy more than one copy.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I've been playing Pandemic Legacy with a couple other people and so far we've been doing great! We've won all three of our games so far (the last two have been somewhat close, if only since we wanted to eradicate a disease before ending the month) - and haven't had even a single Outbreak. This last part actually bothers me - is it normal? Maybe we've missed something in the rules or it was mistranslated? Also, is the Researcher as bonkers as I think she is?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

SilverMike posted:

Doesn't sound normal, after three games you'd have a pretty large chance of being in trouble for at least one of them. Researcher's drat good with or without Legacy rules though!

Okay, so walk me through, where can we make a mistake? At the end of each player's turn, we draw 2 (later 3, later 4) infection cards from the bottom of the deck, then discard them. When an Epidemic comes up, we ramp up the number of new infections, then draw one more card for the big infection and discard it. Afterwards, we shuffle the infection discard pile and place those cards on the top of the infection deck.

The net effect is that the infection deck cycles through its entirety a little bit before the end of the game, so as long as you break up the early game 3-stacks, you're in the clear on Outbreaks.

We've been close to losing via running out of red (Coda) cubes twice, but spamming Quarantine helped prevent a disaster both times.

So, where are we making a mistake?

EDIT: I've been diligently throwing Funded events out, so that's not the problem.

EDIT2: we've also messed up trading cards during our learning play (non-Legacy rules), but we've learned from that and we've had no issues on that front since (also we've only played without a Researcher once, so it was much less of an issue).

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 13, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Sokani posted:

You should be drawing from the top of the deck. You only draw from the bottom for the big infection. You should be drawing the same cities over and over again, not cycling through the deck.

Edit: The infection deck

That's it. I just checked the manual, somehow I must have misread that several times (in my defence, Epidemics have been much more prominently marked out with the "draw from the bottom" part in nice red letters, so that's probably why I missed that).

I knew something had to be wrong, I just kept forgetting to ask. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Played John Company for a second time. First time I felt like the whole retirement thing made no sense compared to making a ton of money last turn, that not running the company into the ground was next to impossible, and that I had no idea what was going on.

The second time I felt exactly the same going into the demonopolization stage, except the company was doing great and I felt great being the chairman of such a prospering business.

Then the lead player bought a Scottish island, flopped his company, then another player emerged as frontrunner, then the remaining three of us banded together into a consortium to buy up all the ships because he had none, then he could not get enough cash to sustain his business, so that flopped too, then crazy shenanigans galore.

I am now in love with the stupid thing. I might say it works better with 4 than with 5? Less downtime that way, I suppose.