Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Superior Spider Man, the final issue.

The whole thing is badass, but Normie's face is just priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Wonder Woman's costume has always been loving awful and we're probably never gonna escape it because it's too ingrained these days. I mean you still have people who want Batman to wear blue and grey despite him being in black for the entire holocene.

Jamie McKelvie had a crack at a redesign of Wonder Woman, just as a what-if.

Tentatively, I like it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Atomic Robo's web serialization has started The Savage Sword of Doctor Dinosaur.

Atomic Robo and a group of Action Scientists are exploring the ruins of Marconi's Nazi science city in Venezuela. Then, someone launches a rocket at them.

"I cannot possibly be the only one who wants to know where the rocket came from!"

"I wasn't not reloading!" is one of my favourite Doctor Dinosaur lines.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dolash posted:

Looks like a bunch of styrofoam painted with glow-in-the-dark paint, which I wouldn't put past Dr. Dinosaur.

Oh, they're real crystals. Used to mind-control the denizens of the Hollow Earth.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Yet Another Reminder that Atomic Robo is awesome. And free online.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Perry Normal posted:

"goddamn" instead of "fuckin'" IIRC, but regardless, agreed. That whole sequence is so perfect. "Yessir." *launches giant gently caress-off energy beam from his chest.*

Okay, you got me, I had to post that Top Ten sequence in the badass thread.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently FalCap hates tables just as much as he hates saving Spider-Man.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Marvel Adventures: Super Heroes #6

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Marvel Adventures: Spider Man #35

Venom wants to become a hero (well, a Lethal Protector), so Spider-Man agrees to take him on as a sidekick for one night. What follows is one part Lethal Protector parody, one part 60s Batman, and it is glorious.

Jeff Parker, Paul Tobin and Fred Van Lente both knocked it out of the park on Marvel Adventures and it sucks that marvel haven't put out more books celebrating the sheer joy of comics from them since.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I loving hate it when demons cue up Bohemian Rhapsody. Show some originality, dammit!

They would, but the tape's been in the car for more than two weeks.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The fact that we never got a Ghost Rider anthology featuring "Vengeance Spirits Through The Ages/Genres" is a goddamn crime.

Should be a series. The annuals should have them teaming up with that era's Immortal Iron Fist.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

dragon_pamcake posted:

Aww. I want to give Ultra Magnus a hug. :(

At that point their previous two interactions had both involved Ultra Magnus being a distraction (pronounced "punching bag") for the near-indestructable Galvatron, while other people worked on an actual plan. The second time the real plan failed, sending the people working on it back to the future but leaving Galvatron still knocking seven shades of poo poo out of Magnus, until the volcano they were fighting on exploded and they both submerged into molten lava.

I think he's allowed some robo-PTSD after that.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm a sucker for cops in space so I'mma definitely start reading it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

From The Fuse vol 2 (don't know the issue as I wasn't buying singles). The Fuse is a solar power station in retrograde geostationary orbit, the comic follows homicide detectives Klementina Ristovych and her new partner Ralph Dietrich. It's probably the best police comic you're not reading, managing as it does to capture the spirit of good cop drama. Unfortunately, that means it doesn't have many sequences that can go in the panels threads.

Gridlocking is the fine art of racing magnetized scooters on the surface of the Fuse's solar array. The #1 racer, Starlight, was found dead apparently after going on the grid during a meteor storm. Since she clearly wasn't an idiot, Klem and Dietrich get the case as a homicide.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Atomic Robo is brilliant. I'm amazed it doesn't come up every few pages of this thread.

It's also all available for free online, for those who hate paper and supporting good people.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

He's still fairly prolific in the Atomic Robo thread

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I've been burned on this type of thing before, read the fine print to see if there is any volcano surcharge.

Surcharge or not, their next-business-week shipping to all moon-bases can't be beat!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The best non-Jubilee vampire storyline remains Captain Britain and MI-13.

Crossposting from the badass thread (where it got lost amongst Hercules dick-punching Galactus).

DigitalRaven posted:

So lots of people are talking about Marvel vampires in the funny panels thread, but this doesn't fit over there.

This is how the real badasses of the marvel universe deal with vampires. I refer, of course, to Pete Wisdom and the rest of MI-13.

Dracula has a massive legion of vampires on the moon. He's taken out the only thing that can prevent his armies from reaching the UK, and in doing so has turned Spitfire. His scouts come prepare for landing.

Yes, he did just carpet-bomb Dracula's scouts with holy water. Because when you're the head of the UK equivalent of SHIELD, you can do that kinda poo poo.

That isn't the end of it (for reasons that are spoiler-y, and you really should read this arc). The vampires are still coming.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Brainiac: *Sigh.* For the forty third mission in a row, the machine has selected Attracting-Balls-To-Her-Face Lass to be the leader of the mission.

To be fair, she is very popular.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

His Password is just "RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS".

He changes the number of A's once a month.

That's okay. Ziggy always knows how many A's to use.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Good to see the Dredd talk in here, gotta love the Judge.

Judge Dredd: Case Files #2 is a great book to read, has the first two mega epics, notably extended stories that have long term effects. Plus they're just very entertaining stories, The Cursed Earth and the Day The Law Died. The writer who created Dredd, John Wagner, is still the main writer today, and my pick for best writer in comics. So whether you want to start at the beginning, jump around, you can't go wrong like everybody is saying. I'd definitely read Case Files #2, also the first couple Judge Death stories are must read, those are in a compilation called Death Lives if you don't go for the Case Files those landed in. Case Files 14 has the Necropolis epic, and the follow up to the Dead Man story mentioned earlier (available separately), really great stuff with watercolory color art. Even if you don't get that Dead Man story, that Case Files starts with a follow up of that explaining what happened.

Other must reads from the 90s would be America, The Pit, I like Case Files 21 which has Wilderlands, and in general I'd say from Case Files 27 upward is great. And the latest stuff is weekly in 2000AD and monthly in the Judge Dredd Megazine, both are collected in the Case Files, just a couple decades behind. Some later trades you'd want are Origins, the Tour of Duty ones, the Day of Chaos ones, and Dark Justice.

https://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1906735999 (Case Files 2)

2000ad.org is a great resource, here's a page that lists everything John Wagner has written for example. http://2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=johnw

You have to read either Death Lives or Case Files #5, in order to get The Dark Judges. It introduces Judge Death's three minions (Judges Fear, Fire, and Mortis), and gives context for the greatest single panel in the history of comics.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

UWBW posted:

I'm going through Judge Dredd for the first time and... This panel... Jesus.

Very little beats Judge Death on stage in Gotham, singing his take on Sympathy for the Devil

from Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Joe Fisto posted:

Death’s Head II

The bad version of Death’s Head.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

I thought Meggan conquered and/or liberated Hell because Brian Braddock ditched her. She came back because Dr. Doom helped a fellow Romani get out so they could shoot vampires at the Moon, or stop them from bombarding Earth from the Moon. One or the other.

Both?

She was in Hell because she sacrificed herself to allow Captain Britain, Psylocke, and Rachel Summers to hold off the damage to Otherworld caused by the start of House of M. Projective empathy plus continued hope meant she was able to recruit a demon army and liberate large chunks of Hell, because why the hell not?

Flash forwards: Dracula is trying to invade the UK with a vampire army, and cuts a deal with Doctor Doom for non-interference. The slight problem is that Drac's a hugely racist prick, and Doom just plain doesn't like him. So, Doctor Doom does as Doctor Doom does, and pulls Meggan (who, like Doom, is Romani) out of Hell in order to gently caress with Dracula.

T'be fair, that was just one of the many brilliant "gently caress you Dracula" moments in that series. Another great one:

Captain Britain and MI13 was a loving amazing series.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Read Captain Britain and MI13. It's really goddamn good and one of the few times I've ever liked Marvel's vampires.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I want to add that after Dracula's orbital armada was decimated, he and his loyalists retreated to his castle on the moon where they were destroyed either by SAS soldiers in powered astronaut suits or holy water mist pumped through an inter-dimensional gateway.

Not just the SAS — they were backed up by a bunch of Marvel UK heroes who hadn't been seen in goddamn ages.

I'm amazed nobody had used the Tangerine/Mandarin pun before.

Though it's the bad Death's Head, seeing "Surprise appearance, yes?" for the first time in loving ages was a massive thrill when I first read it. It also marked a revival of the character; the good Death's Head would go on to show up in Kieron Gillen's work (including SWORD: No Time to Breathe, and the space-based bits of his Iron Man), and then a bunch of space-based Marvel stuff. Then, both DH and DHII featured in Revolutionary War. I loving love Death's Head, yes?

quote:

Read Captain Britain and MI:13.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Funny accents and nobody's posted The Filth yet?

The main difference between that and whatever mangled bullshit Claremont claims is Irish or Scottish or whatever is that Grant Morrison is writing his local accent and actually knows what it sounds like. Which still looks mental written on a page, but it's authentically mental.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Comics dogs rule

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Chuck Austen.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pretty sure that's somewhere in Marvel continuity.

Probably somewhere between construction of Dracula's moon base and his vampire missile barrage burning up on reentry because Captain Britain revoked their invitation to Earth.

It was Pete Wisdom, not Captain Britain.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ElNarez posted:

oh if we're gonna talk about American Kaiju we're gonna need to get the origin story of American Kaiju, from New Avengers Vol.4 #9 (Also yeah his first name is Todd, it's important)

How do the Avengers (well, Sunspot's New Avengers) fight a goddamn Kaiju?

With a giant robot, of course.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I loved the bit in 52 when Black Adam is heading to gently caress up the Mad Scientist Lab they had built and everyone is losing their poo poo because Black Adam is coming to kill every single one of them but Sivana is just going "Pffft, Shazam and his Marvels. Just another one to get out of my way." and casually pieces together a contraption to deal with him while in the middle of a pandemonium.

I thought that was T.O.Morrow. "gently caress you, I've gone up against the JLA before, this is just one dude. Aaaand I've just opened a football-pitch sized tesseract in his brain."

I could be wrong. Morrow (and Doc Magnus, obviously) got so many of the cool bits of the Mad Scientists of 52.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

This seems like a super overpowered ability

What if he read a card that said "My sight returns permanently"?

He can't control his power — it's the first three things he reads each day. And a lot of the time he does use his powers to "see", just via his dog, Forey (though Reader's power doesn't seem to extend to reading through other people's eyes).

Relatedly: Do not gently caress with Reader's dog.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

New Mutants #1

Sunspot's got form for saving the day. We need more of his ludicrous New Avengers/U.S.Avengers management style. Or at least more of him written by Al Ewing.

(Avengers #688)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Oh my god, is Roberto's space lawyer Murd Blurdock?

Can't wait for this to hit Unlimited...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Avengers & The Infinity Gauntlet (2010)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Isn't current Tony literally a robot? And there was a whole thing about how he legally didn't have a soul, so his brother took over Stark Industries?

Comics are weird.

Yeah, but that would rely on anyone giving a poo poo about Dan Slott's Iron Man, which at its best is beyond aggressively mediocre.

Aaron's done more interesting Iron Man stories in his Avengers than Slott has managed in his entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Who's blondie? Angel?

I thought Longshot, by the ponytail. But Angel would probably make more sense...