Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So I reinstalled CSGO last night and played my first game (apart from a single gungame) in something like 8 months. The game ended with me getting TK'd in the last round and two dudes on my team couldn't believe I kept dropping bomb near mid...even though they never called a strat and would just wander into B piecemeal.

:allears: It was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Buck Turgidson posted:

I like the crummy common skins way more than most of the really flashy ones. Plus people have so many of them that you can go on a server, beg for a skin, and someone will eventually give you one because they only sell for like 4 cents or something. Like the Urban DPAT m4a4 I got off some random dude in a DM server looks way better than most of the rarer skins I've seen.

I typically agree. The only ones I really like that are worth more than a nickel are P250 Supernova, M4A1 Guardian and the AK Laminate series. It always blows me away that people will pay $50 for a skin that looks worse than the default. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Admittedly some of them are so gaudy and garish that they start to look kind of good.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

How do weapon drops work? Even when I rank up and it says I'll get a drop...I don't. They're not attached to missions anymore either so are they just a lot rarer than they were for Vanguard?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm kind of surprised binds that actually affect gameplay are legal. Never realized that was actually a thing.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I was last alive and just dropped a 5k. Welp, looks like I can finally quit this game because I'm never going to top that.

\/ It was a B-rush on D2. I throw a frag pretty much every time I enter site (rushes are insanely effective at my rank, I'm GN4), hosed down two immediately and one more through smoke that my teammate tossed. Popped an AWP that flanked through mid and sat in window (still near B-tun exit) and then waited for the last guy to grab bomb before I dropped him. It makes me feel vindicated that I recently switched from the A1 to the M4.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 6, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

why would a jump throw bind be illegal

Because binds that buy weapons don't actually impact poo poo but a bind that allows you to ~perfectly throw sick smokez~ is pretty loving dumb. Just learn to be more consistent, learn new spots or don't throw it.

I'm also an idiot who always feels the need to do things The Hard Way, so there's that.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Antares posted:

these missions are hot garbage and i don't know if i can endure 50 casual and guardian missions for a shinier coin and literally nothing else

Yeah I wish I had actually read about this operation before I bought it. Maps I don't want to play, none of the missions give gently caress-all and a dumb coin I don't care about. Great.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xenaero posted:

At work today I saw a guy with a TSM Kinguin hoodie. It's super weird seeing CS in real life.

So naturally you doffed your fedora and bid him 'good day'? :allears:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

UltraVariant posted:

I gave up my hope for life when I saw the scope of some of these missions.

"Get 100 kills, each with a unique weapon."
"Earn $1,000,000 in Bloodhound Casual."
"Get 300 chicken kills or some poo poo. I dunno, we wrote these missions about 30 minutes before the operation came out."

:shepicide:

Is there any point to doing these missions? Are there hidden weapon drops you get or something? Because gently caress that poo poo.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

Glad this is the one operation I skipped

I'm glad I mindlessly bought it like the last two :qq:

The Blue Caboose posted:

Mp9=tmp without silencer.

The MP9 was one of my favorite weapons in source, it doesn't even feel remotely similar in GO. The MP7 is really, really good for it's price though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

holy poo poo scream what the gently caress

http://i.imgur.com/mWMkzFb.png

Are those just comp or ESEA stats or something? That HS stat seems so high it has to be erroneous.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Ah, being called a lowskilled noob with follow-up threats to report for griefing by a teammate for buying the SG553. I love this gun so much. Doubly sweet when you proceed to hella carry

I do really well with it until I forget it's not an AK and try to spray someone down. The thing is an insane headshot machine.

\/ I'm used to either straight up (M4) or to the left (AK). Anything else just fucks me up.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 9, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Man, the CZ is so lame now. It pretty much forces you into a spazzy spray-and-pray, has no bullets, and takes forever to switch to.

They should just make it CT only because anyone that chooses it over the Tec9 is a monster.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Blue Caboose posted:

Basically, the USP is great on pistol rounds and I need to figure out shadowplay and make some gifs.

I'm GN4 right now and it's difficult to figure out why some people call plays like they do. I just had a guy on cache insist that we push mid to A. We're vulnerable anyone holding mid-doors and sandbags, then we have to fight through anyone holding backsite, highway barrels or upper into A. Don't get me wrong, the glock owns but it's wildly inconsistent at anything more than 20m.

Playing pistol FFA really, really makes you realize how insanely good the USP is at any range but point blank. Even then it's more than serviceable. That said P2000 for me :allears:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Blue Caboose posted:

I am personally fond of mid to a on pistol round cache. You usually see a 2-1-2 split on cache, and the rotate from b to a is slower than a to b. If you smoke doors, you have to usually just deal with toxic and quad, and if you do 4 mid 1 squeaky you can flank them out. Even if you don't smoke mid it usually comes down to a 4v1 on the mid dude where you should be able to get him before forklift or truck guy gets to highway. Basically, the idea is that you avoid crossfire by good timing.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If you are going mid on cache you probably want a tec9 and a smoke. If CTs don't smoke garage you should be able to run out and get a pick pretty easily. And then most of the time highway to A is open, though sometimes B can be the better choice if CTs rotate too quickly.

Fair. I feel like all of this is requires at least a partially coordinated effort which sure as poo poo isn't happening in GN4 pugs.

I'm going to start considering my pistol buys a little more though instead of armor every time. Blindly doing anything, especially in pistol rounds feels like a mistake.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Elman posted:

Oh cool, Valve does give a gently caress.

Level 3 still seems low but they haven't added unranked competitive so that makes sense.

I think the reasoning behind this is it would imbalance ranks even more than they currently are. That and queue times for each would probably double and it's a pretty unnecessary addition because ranked doesn't matter at all.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xenaero posted:

k, taking suggestions, every few rounds I'll fire a weapon and it'll instantly drop my fps to 30ish. What do I do other than constant restarts

About to

Have you reinstalled recently? Whenever I reinstall a game my computer wants to run it off of my integrated card and not my dedicated, try that?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

dear valve if my mission requires me to be on the CT team on a map please stop auto dropping me into games where the CT team is full. it shouldn't be that hard, really

I figured out an easy way around this. Don't do missions.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Snod. posted:

Just don't play Counter Strike.

Peggle 2 or bust.

Also I got my AK tonight. Master Elite Supreme Global Knight here I come.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Antares posted:

I feel like I'm in control with the USP but everything else you may as well dance in circles spamming left click

The P2000 comes close but as soon as you join a pistol server it becomes painfully obvious how inaccurate pistols are. Virtually everyone uses the USP because it's the only one you can actually aim.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

e: Watching all of Dreamhack now that I have a few hours. Flusha is the weirdest looking person I've ever seen.

Xenaero posted:

It's cool that running and crouchspamming beats standing accuracy

Broken rear end game, you can't even fight it effectively

Care to extrapolate? I'm assuming you're referring to people crouching as soon as they see another player. Or does crouching+moving really not affect shot accuracy?

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 17, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Are there any good non-Valve 64 tick FFA/DM's out there? I'm very consistent in FFA/DM always able to do well and click heads and then I drop into a MM game and it just doesn't feel like it used to. The sad thing is I know it's not nerves because I don't really care that much but going to 64 tick is all I can think of that changes. I find myself relying on movement and SMGs instead of clicking heads in MM. It feels bad.

Danyull posted:

Has anyone been having really lovely lag problems since the last update? I pretty much lose every single fight that revolves around corners because people will just pop out about 5 feet away from it whenever they peek.

I had a few games where I would get matched, join and instantaneously lag out and get dropped. A few lag spikes in one or two games since. I honestly chalked it up to my lovely ISP though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I just aced twice in a match while sitting on my couch in my underwear. :smug:

I go to download the match and it's corrupted :qq:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

"Long" is the call when you want someone to know that long is one of the areas on dust2.

If long isn't a call why is this important? :smug:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

prom candy posted:

What's the appropriate call if you hear enemies but don't know how many or anything? "Footsteps"?

If it's one, call one. If you hear more than one at the same time say at least two. One could be a lurk but two means it's either a split or a push. Both ways it's solid info.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

bpower posted:

Silver aim + good calls + 4 or 5 useful nades = MG1

This is an eerily accurate description of my play. Though I have a bad habit of playing when I'm not able to use a mic (people sleeping in the house).

Knowing when to walk, peek, play time and lurk helps too. You don't need the best aim in the world if you outplay someone and you're looking at his back.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

dex_sda posted:

I guess. I'd take an annoying sperglord with great calls over a no-mike though.

I disagree.

I'd take
"firebox lit
^
^"
any day over obnoxious idiots even if they have good calls.

Then again I play this game because I'm bad at aiming and pretty decent with gamesense and I find the challenge in trying to win this way fun.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^Elysiume, missions are not worth it breh.

I just discovered that there was a Hotline Miami music kit. See ya later $2.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

I have the Hotline miami music kit and while it's pretty good, I had to turn it off because the last thing you need after you've planted the bomb in an intense 1v1 is fukken M.O.O.N - Hydrogen drowning out any other noise except the pulse pounding in your ears

You can adjust all instances of music independently. Bomb plants, round starts/ends, menu music, etc. all have individual sliders. Otherwise, yeah, it'd be annoying as gently caress.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

J posted:

Oh hi you posted another demo. I wrote a whole lotta words for the other one you posted and that is real time consuming so I'll just answer your question by rattling off some things you'll need to work on to get to DMG+ in no particular order from this demo without going into round by round details:

:words:

This all seems like pretty good advice for everyone in general.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I'm bad at this game. gently caress advice, shoot people in the head ya goofball. Also elo hell was a real thing

its all of matchmaking

I'm bad too. Using goon advice helps me maximize My Fun.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Blue Caboose posted:

It sure does, but in lieu of having a non competitive matchmaking system where i can go to play an actual real game of counterstrike without feeling the need to push myself to try and be as good as I can.

Matchmaking is casual. It's not the fault of the game mode if you view it as Try-Hard-Mode. Change how you view the game, not the mode.

I've probably said this once or twice now but I play CS with my laptop while sitting on my couch. It's fun because I'm bad at aiming and I enjoy still trying to win games. Just have fun.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

All they play on campus is that game and while running around as Marth is cool and all we're still playing a game based on "what if donkey kong and mario...beat each other up?"

And CS is "what if we made a game about us shooting browns?"

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jellidelic posted:

step up ur game up

What the gently caress how can you even play like that. Left handed model freak.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

down with slavery posted:

accepting this is the first step to enjoying the game fyi

now just stop caring about winning

you're so close

Just had a solo queue where two dudes and myself pretty much dicked around over comms the whole time, still made callouts and occasionally tk'd each other. We won 16-4. It was fun.

Also the "turn your sens down it's too high" mantra is sage advice. I even occasionally get kills with rifles that aren't the M4-S.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm MG1 and I literally can't remember the last time I played someone and knew they were smurfing.

The only times I can even remember getting poo poo on has always been due to stuff like no one else on the team having in-game comms. I'm not saying smurfing doesn't happen but at the end of the day it's a nerd sitting at a computer just like me. If I'm losing to him I'll eventually get better for it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Alighieri posted:

I should probably do this as well since I have been messing up pistol rounds a lot recently.

Just find a pistol only DM. I'm better with pistols than I am with rifles because I don't have to worry about recoil, just natural deviation, and movement is such a loving huge factor.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I also feel it is their fault that steam lets anyone log into any account with no password.

Pretty much this.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

bpower posted:

You should treat randoms like NPCs in a rpg.

But when I TK them in spawn they don't drop skins :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

dex_sda posted:

goddamn vp is the most inconsistent team

Judging from all of the comments about c9 I've read in the past few months, eh, I don't really think this is the case.

• Locked thread