Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I got the last New 3DS at the store, and when I got it home it skipped the setup to go right to the Sonic theme with four Miis created. No NNID though or anything. They did charge me full price for a new unit, I figure I can complain for a discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

What store did you buy this from?

It was a Target

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Just found a pre-owned copy of Kid Icarus at my gamestop. Now I can finally try it out:toot:

I found my missing-for-a-year copy of Kid Icarus last night while getting club Nintendo papers. Congrats, man, it's good.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Immer posted:

Bravely Default is good until it's bad.

It wraps around to good again if you power through

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Yes, please. Lockstep looks like it's coming back, too :toot:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

mycot posted:

Not everyone can be like me and read every Something Awful thread even for things you don't own.

But it's on the box.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The NNID is also shared with the Wii U if you've got one

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

So for the sidequests, just pick a poo poo ton up and assume I'll do some on the way to doing the main quests?

Basically! Just don't sweat it if you can't complete them all.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You should be using the Splatoon themes also so don't forget to do that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Also looks like it adds areas and monsters back from MH3?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Lemming posted:

Monster Hunter

To elaborate here, you'd want Monster Hunter 4U.

It'll be a while before we get Monster Hunter X but there's no point in waiting. Once it's out you can dress up a guy, girl, or cat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I searched around and found http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-cpu-clock-configure-plugin-for-ntr-cfw-new3ds-only.398462/ :stare: Sounds like people are having good success with it.

I can definitely see why Nintendo doesn't make it an automatic thing, but wow.

e; Figures I would've recently system updated, I have no idea if I can use this now.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 1, 2015

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

Wait, the 3DS can charge off a USB cable? This may revolutionize my life.

You have to buy a separate 3ds specific USB charger, since the charging port on the 3ds itself isn't USB the way phones are. Good news is that it's cheap.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Dehry posted:

I'm really liking this CPU overclocking on the New 3DS homebrew. Even Stella Glow is showing changes just with the sprites on the field.

Figures Nintendo would block this stuff the day I try to get it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Homebrew stuff has become a bit muddled when Nintendo fixed the browser/Youtube exploits, so most people are confused now on how to install the Homebrew Channel for region-free gaming, SNES emulation, or "speeding up" older 3DS games on the Nu3DS. Someone on reddit made a good flow chart to explain the current situation:

vvvv no, I'm sorry.

As it turns out, with some DNS settings, you can still launch browserhax (to then install ironhax or whatever else) even though it tries to block the browser as long as you're on 10.1.0 still. Worked great for me. The extra CPU really helps some games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NES and Game Gear games do local multiplayer via download play, Game Boy games don't do multiplayer at all.

Although the Pokémon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow versions for the 3DS will do it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

Re: "Played Monster Hunter for 45 minutes and was bored":

That's a totally valid complaint. Monster Hunter front-loads with boring quests for babbies to get you used to peripheral systems like gathering ingredients, crafting, the various town shops, and also to give you a chance to play around with the controls in a low-pressure environment. The first few "big" monsters you fight are usually lame, too, like just dinosaurs and large animals that are maybe 2 or 3 times your character's size, and don't bring much to the table.

I think the game is at its most fun and impressive when you're fighting actual wyverns and dragons, and other things that are like 10 times your size. It feels like a real boss fight, and the 3D effect on the 3DS is really good here at enhancing the sense of scale. They tend to open up the game with smaller monsters that end up being practically comedy enemies further on in, though. Great Jaggi, Kecha Wacha, Seltas, Lagombi; they're all kind of goofy little dudes with easy patterns, relatively low HP, a silly appearance, or a combination of those things.

I think it would improve the franchise's ability to pull in new fans if they had a more interesting "tutorial" monster than Great Jaggi. The Dah'ren Mohran during the intro doesn't count; fighting Dah'ren Mohran on a boat in a highly scripted event isn't representative of how the game is. I think MH4U could have been totally fine using Tetsucabra as its first large monster. It's physically large enough to feel like a big, impressive boss fight, its weapons and armor are really good for beginners, it has big, flashy attacks that it also telegraphs like crazy, it has multiple breakable parts... it's just more representative of what I feel the game is "about" than Great Jaggi, which is somewhere between an oversized velociraptor and a tiny T-Rex, has one breakable part, and doesn't do anything cool. Great Jaggi is a total joke, and any time he shows up in an Unstable mission, there's like a 50% chance that you'll either ignore him or take the 2 minutes required to totally clown him for extra Caravan Points. Even in multiplayer, where everybody is usually in a hurry to finish the mission, I'd say 50% of the time the whole party just drops what they're doing and dogpiles the Great Jaggi who wandered into the wrong neighborhood. I think new players deserve a more interesting introduction to the game than Great Jaggi.

I introduced my friend by telling him that today we were going to hunt a monster and then showing him Lagiacrus. He was hooked.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

jivjov posted:

All digital purchases are tied to your NNID.

Worth noting that eShop balances are also bound to NNID.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Quidnose posted:

Oh well boo then :(

No boo, unfortunately :(

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Sharla+ Seven + Rikki is your ticket to taking on bosses above your level.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

flyboi posted:

Wait that's a thing?! Now I regret buying FE:A digitally :sigh:

Or does HANS finally work on downloaded titles?

Has since several months ago from what I remember.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There is the good xcom style ghost recon game, and then a different and bad one that released around the same time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Louisgod posted:

No, it had a really high attach rate, especially when you consider that Nintendo included Wii Sports into their overall hardware/software attach rate, which means Wii Sports coming with every console skewed the ratio. People bought a lot of Wii games.

Phone posting, so I can't verify, but disincluding Wii sports the attach rates were like 8 for Wii, 9 for that PlayStation, and 10 for that Xbox.

They were very close last generation.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Okay so I fired up Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm running through the field killing rabbits and poo poo.
PLEASE tell me it gets easier to see enemies.
I'm having a bitch of a time discerning objects in the field.

Early on there are short enemies in tall grass so it can be tricky, but don't worry. Some enemies will fill the whole screen from a distance.

Got a solution for you though, you can optionally go into the settings and toggle an option to always put a little colored icon (based on level difference) above each enemy, along with a marker for if they react to your sound, sight, arts, and/or will attack as a pack. If you're having trouble making out enemies or telling what they are, you should definitely go turn this on until you get a feel for things.

Might be a good habit to periodically tap the target buttons if you think you see something still worth checking, you can always push B to abort starting combat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Homework Explainer posted:

infinite space is on amazon new right now for $25 and gamestop pre-owned for $26. is there any reason to mistrust these sellers

There was some article recently about a bunch of original DS reprints, including infinite space, saying it was the last batch of DS games minted

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It sucks that Platinum hasn't and won't ever make a handheld game. (Infinite Space doesn't count.)

It sucks that there wasn't a 3ds version of Infinite Space since it has tons of scenes that would've looked great.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

There isn't any kind of option to like...merge 3DS accounts or something is there? Due to...unfortunate circumstances...I have a 3DS now that belonged to someone else. I was considering just wiping the data and putting mine on, but that is kind of sad and also they have money in their store account that was donated to them by friends so I don't want it wasted.

I know I can change the Mii and display name, but I imagine that's it?

I think if you do a system transfer in some manner it can merge the software licenses. Jivjov would know more on the specifics, or call Nintendo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Terper posted:

Then why not use a weapon with fast animations??

Dual swords all day every day. You're doing flips and poo poo while sprinting up to monsters while looking on fire and dicing monsters nonstop.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

you are using the internet and have somehow never heard of emulators

yeah but that 24 hour limit is a bitch for playing RPGs

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm not a fan of the time management gimmick and the 24 hour cycles are just brutal.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

raditts posted:

I didn't like it at all and the rabid following it seems to have baffles me, but nowhere near as much as learning that people think FF9 is the best Square game.

FF9 was what a lot of people wanted FF8 to have been.

If you didn't start the series at FF7, like many did and thus its massive nostalgia, it's also the game you wanted FF7 to be.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Out of nowhere Inti Creates just announced they have acquired the Blaster Master license and are making a new game for the 3DS comes out in Spring 2017, Blaster Master Zero

More here:
http://inticreates.com/blaster-master-zero-3ds/

This is excellent, I just finished axiom verge and it gave me serious blaster master nostalgia. The old Wii shop spin-off wasn't that great but it sounds like this is taking the right direction.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

A local target was sold out last night until a worker unloading baby products walked by with a basket full of about twenty of the things. They kept getting more.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I got 40 bucks sitting in my shop, any must have games, or games on sale, i should be looking at? Currently have:

Card pocket jockey
Rune factory 4
Fire emblem: awakening
Phoenix Wright trilogy
Mario kart 7
Mario golf world tour
Monster Hunter generations

Rhythm heaven of course.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can you gift other people games uae the shop?
Need more people to play gotta protectors with

You can buy them as a code from the website for your region then send it via email or text or whatever, but not from the console interface itself.

Make sure you're getting the code because the other option pushes the download to your system directly.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

If you're even passingly interested in homebrew, get a New 3DS. You'll be able to play older games with the newer hardware unlocked. It's great.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Scylo posted:

I'm looking for something to play in between birthright and conquest campaigns in fire emblem, should I play steamworld heist?

I've been having a ton of fun with that. Each particular level isn't too long but you could binge on it easily.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Ryoji posted:

I have not updated my N3DS since several month, I heard about some possibilities with an older firmware.
Are there any real reasons besides piracy not to update the system? Thanks

Streaming gameplay on Steam so people not in your monster hunting party can watch is pretty fun

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Zore posted:

I still dont understand people who actually keep the sound on when playing video games

I bet you post with your eyes open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Even if you did homebrew malarkey, just copy everything to a new card exactly as is.