Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ChickenMedium posted:

They just added Point Break. What more do you need?

Original or the remake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Anyone plowed through Dark on Netflix?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yup, that ending ruled

Yeah, most of it kicked butt. But holy hell, you had to pay attention 99.9% of the time watching it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i got two episodes left, so dont spoil it, but is this show a one off? will there there be a season 2? i prefer a one off tbh.

Hasn't been announced but I'm going to say "probably yes".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It could stand on its own, but leaves enough loose strings that could be revisited. At least that was how I viewed it, leaving the door open for another season. Sorry for being cryptic, trying not to spoil things.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 6, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

thank you. im a little sick of shows that overstay their welcome. i also hate when people beg me to watch a show and it has like 7 seasons. holy poo poo that is too big of an investment.

Understand that one. Unfortunately (and I'm guilty of this) one can reach the sunk cost fallacy. Three seasons in and "I'm not giving up on it now" type of thing. For me it was 'Sons of Anarchy'. I had to see it to the bitter end. Along with 'True Detective' season 2. Both of those were brutal, but I had to do it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

When watching SoA it helps to view it as a comedy. That's the only way to make it through. It was probably the most ludicrous shitpile of a show ever. Sutter sure is full of himself.

And to think he dragged his wife Peggy Bundy into that other series where she was a witch and no one could understand what the gently caress anyone was saying.

Last I read he was trying to resurrect SoA focusing on the Mayans. Good god.

e: Yeah, ramming yourself into a semi driven by a former cast member/friend was indeed a Wile E Coyote moment.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 6, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Sagal's death was so poorly done too, it was laughably bad. Sutter actually did manage to build up a lot of different compelling plot lines over the course of the show and it's amazing just how few of them went anywhere or had satisfying conclusions. The last successful arc that had a solid beginning middle and end happened like 4 whole seasons before the show actually ended.

What arc are you talking you about? I'm actually curious.

With the FBI agent?

My favorite of Sutter's masterful writing was the cliffhanger when the bar blew up due to some explosives strapped to a beer keg. When going through the finances the next season they realize their auto repair place is somewhat keeping things afloat.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but this small town is more dangerous than Somalia.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Exactly correct. I think most people would agree that the Agent Stahl arc was probably the last really solid one they did.

What was Sutter's fascination with the Irish and the guns, stealing the baby, yada yada. That was a slog.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

OldTennisCourt posted:

So here's what I've got:

We've got 4 timelines:

2019: Mikkel goes missing, he's already dead because he killed himself after leaving that note to his future son.

1986: Mikkel appears, two other kids go missing. Mikkel apears, falls in love grows up with nurse as mom.

1956: Bodies from the 80's appear, Noah has his bunker.

Future: ????

Noah seems to be killing kids for his own strange ideals of introducing humanity to time travel. The hooded man is trying to stop Noah?

Like all time travel lines it becomes a convoluted thing with hand waving and everything else. I have to say I did like when they would do the split-screens of past and future people.
The family tree becomes more complicated than something produced from Kentucky.

I could nit pick a bit more, but the one thing that bugged me was the cave. It was taped off for an investigation yet no one could find the cast iron stove doors. And of course left or right.

Eh, it's like Lost.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sir Kodiak posted:

You know, folks, there is a Dark thread.

What year is the post?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm watching it right now -- just finishing up episode five as we speak -- and it's really great. Shame it got cancelled.

We enjoyed JCVJ. In fact going to watch Timecop later today (should have watched it before) for the helluva it. I've seen it before a long time ago so who knows how many references I might have missed.

I will say his line of "No one has looked for me here in twenty years" and then panning to the location was the funniest drat thing I've seen in quite some time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m at work right now and we’re all watching the 80’s Family Feud. It’s a great show when you have a bunch of people yelling jokes and answers at the TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpSbeiPLB30

precision posted:

70s Match Game is better (and on Prime)

Best part of Match Game was you could tell what part of the day the show was filmed by how sloshed everyone was.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DeathSandwich posted:

I actually really, really like Vaughn in these harder edged roles. He's a big guy and he can be a really imposing figure when he wants to be. He was 100% my favorite character in the second season of True Detective, which isn't saying much given the quality of that season, but still.

I like Vaughn. But True Detective was such a dumpster fire and I always thought he looked wooden and forced in it. I can't remember how he did in 'Domestic Disturbance'.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Future Man on Hulu is pretty good.

Just be up a little on mid 80's stuff. Never knew I could laugh so hard at a volley ball scene remake.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Alterian posted:

I haven't laughed as hard as I did when they revealed that final Trump cake in a long time.

You knew it was going to be good just based on a couple of those sugar cookies portraits. Also got a good laugh with the cop and his shark cake.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Binged watched Insatiable on Netflix. Somehow I feel dirty.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Filthy Hans posted:

Fear of a Black Hat is on Prime. Imagine This Is Spinal Tap but it's about a bunch of NWA wannabes. I used to love this movie and thought it had been lost to time. Take 3 minutes out of your life and watch this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JsKq--e0QQ

I was always partial to their public service scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WFA0liN1o

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Unzip and Attack posted:

Miami Vice is a pretty superb film with amazing casting and some of the best gunplay in recent cinema. Colin Ferrell's mustache is pretty top notch as well.

It's peak Michael Mann in the best way. It shares a very similar look and feel with Collateral. It's a love letter to dimly lit urban landscapes at dawn/dusk.

Thank you, couldn't have written this better myself.

Collateral was a great film. But perhaps I was biased due to Heat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

InterrupterJones posted:

My father-in-law recommended Future Man which I felt indifferent about upon seeing the preview for it. I have to admit...it's not perfect, but it's surprisingly funny.

I'm super late to respond to this but you have to be over 40 to really appreciate it.

Saddens me given your response I could be your dad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Well I'll be damned. It sounds so much like him. It also sounds a lot like Troy baker (The dude that is in literally every video game)

Eh, don't feel bad...I thought the same thing. I think I'm about 3 episodes in.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It’s not the effort but the cost, the effect is relatively simple. Practical squibs require multiple copies of the shirt in case more takes are need and you can only do as many takes as you have outfits. On top of that, even though it’s relatively safe, it still shoots up insurance premiums for the movie.

Interesting, can you expand on that a little. I know it is boring minutiae but it is something I never really thought of before.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Add Runaway to the list.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Frog Act posted:

Thanks dudes!

There is also Demon Seed. That's a weird one.

I suggested Runaway because I actually watched it a month or two ago. It actually held up better than I expected and was quite prescient for its time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

It was pretty uneven overall, but I enjoyed the first season of Future Man on Hulu quite a bit. Derek Wilson as Wolf in particular is amazing, I really wish we could get an 80s spinoff show featuring him.

If one grew up in the era of Top Gun, the volleyball scene made my cheeks hurt. That and the James Cameron house episode.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Out of curiosity watched Bird Box. My god it was worse than I imagined.

Did laugh about the vest though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's good, and seems pretty faithful to the book. I'm almost 60% through. It's about 3 hours and 20 minutes long, chopped up into 4 episodes.

Is it as brutal as the original?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thom and the Heads posted:

i cant get over how bad Bird Box was. It really feels like they spent all their budget on getting Sandra Bullock to star. the whole thing just feels cheap - scenes of eye-rolling exposition, questionable CGI, 50 percent of the movie taking place in a house. gaaarbage

What CGI? The guy's supermarket vest? Or the shadows you see? But yeah, it was a dumpster fire.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

While it ran its course wish Znation had another one. Stupid, yet funny campy crap.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I love black mirror but there is something so inherently unappealing about a CYOA movie to me

As a dad with a couple kids...When one of the options said 'Kill Dad' I was like whoa know, this hits a little too close to home here. :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

maybe the new true detective will be good.

It's not like it can get worse. I was amazed after S2 they said they were doing S3.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Medullah posted:

I'm 10 minutes into the last episode of Future Man s2 and this is going to end up being a game show, isn't it

I loved S1. But the first few episodes of S2 didn't really do it for me but I'm sitting at #5 or #6 and it is starting to be more enjoyable for me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Filthy Hans posted:

Watching the Fyre doc, is it wrong to hate the influencers more than anyone else?

I'm somewhat of a luddite, but understand things. The influencers thing basically begged to set myself on fire.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought the 2nd season was largely okay, but definitely less focused and definitely a step down from season 1. Season 3 feels like a conscious effort to return to season 1 form, right down to the framing device, relationship between leads, and case theme. Season 3's plot hasn't been as engaging as season 1's, but Mahershala Ali has been absolutely stellar and, unless they completely flub the landing on sunday, is worth your time.

Just finish season 1, jump straight to season 3, and then if you really want to be a completionist then watch season 2.

Yeah the acting in 3 is phenomenal. So is the make up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SirSamVimes posted:

Definitely watch that story, it's arguably the best.

The last one is my personal favourite, but that's a close second (tied with the prospector one).

They are all pretty good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Glottis posted:

I guess I'm the only one that's super duper unhappy with True Detective season 3. It feels like nothing happens and I actually think most of the acting is extremely hokey. I actually laughed out loud when I saw that the finale was this weekend because I feel like they've barely done anything. Season 1 had a very surreal and immersive vibe and so did season 2 in a very different way, but I'm just not getting that with this season.

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I thought S2 was a dumpster fire. It was an overconvulted mess. As for S3, I'll say the documentary poo poo is hokey. I will say he goes out of his way to paint everyone as a flawed character. Which is fine, we all have flaws. And detective work combined with cold cases can be boring which I feel he is trying to get across.

Tough to strike a balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Filthy Hans posted:

A.B.C. Murders was a disappointment, Malkovich and the prime suspect were both really good in it but it was a rather boring mystery and it was 3 hours long when it should have been 2

also they retconned in an alternate universe backstory for Poirot and it adds nothing to the story

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's great but I've wasted three hours on much more trash. My main problem was After the 2 or 3rd murder you realize he isn't the killer because they never show him doing the deed.