Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
In case you guys were watching, Netflix's new Drew Barrymore show The Santa Clarita Diet is terrible. I don't think I"m even halfway through the first episode, and I want to turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Baronash posted:

Love is good? That honestly comes as a shock, because the first season trailer did it no favors whatsoever. All I remember is some Woody Allen lookalike chucking a box full of rom-coms out the window of a car because THEY LIED ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS MAN!"

Heh, I've been surprised by all of this talk too. I like the cast, but the show just did nothing for me and I turned it off before the first episode ended.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GonSmithe posted:

So not only did they add season 2 of The Great British Baking Show to Netflix, they also added season 3!

I watched some today, and it turns out what Netflix calls season 1 of the show, is actually the 5th season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

drunken officeparty posted:

I've never seen Jurassic Park. Is it worth watching nowadays because I assume it didn't stand the test of time.

Just buy a copy. You won't regret it. A couple of the CG scenes haven't held up (I'm looking at you gallimimus), but it's still classic Spielberg with revolutionary special effects. His mix of CG with practical effects means that at times the movie looks better than the recent Jurassic World.

I was also reading something recently, I can't remember if it was an article or a comment on reddit, in that what was so special about Jurassic Park was that all the heroes were intelligent and used their intelligence to win the day. Comparing that to Jurassic World where the protagonists were a brawny jock, a ditzy corporate executive, a teenage boy obsessed with girls, and his annoying little brother, and their solutions were to just blow poo poo up. Jurassic Park is the better movie.

You can skip Lost World. There are some good things, but watch it with some trepidation. You can skip Jurassic Park III. It basically took story elements from the first two books that didn't make it to screen, and added an incredibly stupid twist.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

McSpanky posted:

FX's Legion is now available Sundays on Hulu. It's pretty amazing.

It really is. I've never seen anything else like it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just love the line, "They have tickle cells all over the U.S. They're everywhere!," so much. So so much.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Viacom is leaving pretty much every streaming service in order to try and launch their own that nobody is going to watch.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Filthy Hans posted:

I finished Iron Fist, it starts to get better in the second half and then sinks back into mediocrity. Ward is the only character worth watching.

What really sucks is that The Hand are the thread tying together the various Netflix Marvel shows, and it's hard to think of a more boring antagonist than the inscrutable, mystical ninja menace.

Yeah, the first half was absolutely terrible. The only reason why I didn't turn it off was because I was too hungover to really care.

But then at some point it started to actually get good? I almost started to like it? But then it had a meh ending ruined by a lack of special effects budget.

Just the whole season was plagued by inconsistent tone and plotting, nebulous bad guys, and ridiculous subplots.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Guy Mann posted:

Y'all are crazy, S2 was great aside from the "Tina Fey takes down a strawman of people who complained about S1's Asian jokes" episode.

Yeah, season 2 was great. Not as strong as season 1, but still really, really funny. And yeah, while that Asian jokes episode was awkward, the song was really beautiful. And I cried at the end of the season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Snowpiercer was bad

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

actually, it was good

It was okay.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hi there this show about a woman dealing with abuse and PTSD focuses too much on her dealing with those issues. I'd prefer she fire laser beams and sing songs and fight villains. Also that bitch needs to smile more

Yeah, these criticisms of the show are bewildering. And there are tools you can buy at a bodega to help prevent you from becoming susceptible to mind control, did you know that? Everybody does, apparently.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Pss.

You.

Hey you.

TPB have always sucked.

Correct answer

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

K. Waste posted:

Oh, awesome, The Eyes of My Mother and The BFG got added to Netflix streaming U.S.

The BFG was... embarrassing for Spielberg.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DeimosRising posted:

World War Z has two other memorable moments: when the Israelis get killed because they let in Muslims and got too chummy with them, and the Pepsi machine.

They just need to remake it into a tv series, with each chapter from the book working out to one episode. Dear god they hosed that movie up so much.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Sing Street is on Netflix. You should watch it. It's from the Director of Once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

drunken officeparty posted:

I have half a season of 30 Rock left and I don't know what I'm going to do with myself when it ends.

Parks & Rec? Kimmy Schmidt?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

flatluigi posted:

Person of Interest absolutely goes in a different direction than that you're worrying about.

Is the fact that it's on CBS seriously not a concern?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

flatluigi posted:

I don't really follow your post, but it's a finished series so I'm aware of how it ended. It's one of my favorite modern TV shows.

CBS tends to lean towards procedural dramas, or broad situational comedies. They don't really program cutting edge television, they just look to appeal to the broadest audience possible. Their shows tend to be simple to follow, and are as easily enjoyed by 70 year olds as they are by 8 year olds. They're the highest rated Big 3 network for a reason.

Generally, their shows don't appeal to me, so given their track record, I would suspect that Person of Interest would fall into the same category as Cold Case, Blue Bloods, and Elementary.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sand Monster posted:

My main complaint about it is how they shoehorned in the Maya Rudolph character. I've detested her since her days on "SNL", so I'm probably biased, but I felt like her character was completely pointless and unfunny.

Today I learned that there are people who hate Maya Rudolph. I didn't even know that was possible.

Martman posted:

I swear to god, the moment I started watching The Discovery, Netflix showed a 4.5 star rating. As soon as I finish, it's at 2.5 stars. Is this their way of trolling me?

Either way, it was a pretty boring slog that had some hints of an interesting mystery but mostly devolved into a montage of generic melodramatic moments.

Yeah, it's a fascinating concept, but I grew bored by halfway through. I looked up the story on wikipedia, didn't enjoy the ending, so I just turned it off.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also I didn't realize American Gods had started airing until I was looking up articles on The Handmaid's Tale and found cross-links to articles complaining that American Gods is "confusing," no doubt a good sign. :laffo:

I think it starts tonight.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Is Dear White People as good as the movie was? Not that the movie was amazing, but it was very solid, just asking for a general barometer of how the two compare.

I've seen both. I think the show is far better than the movie, which was good. The show really gives them the opportunity to explore the characters with added depth, as well as the heavy issues they discuss.

Watch it. It's good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

magnificent7 posted:

Dammit. That's the whole reason I GOT amazon prime in the first place. You can't get HBO GO by itself. Dammit.

You're really missing out if the only reason you got Amazon Prime was for 15 year old HBO shows.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If you don't like watching Mary Berry politely poo poo on Paul Hollywood, I don't know what to tell you.

Seriously. Even though you can tell it's scripted, they still have such great chemistry together.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tweet my meat posted:

I really can't recommend Agents of SHIELD enough. It's really grim in the first few episodes, but it's an absolute treat from the back half of season 1 onwards, and it really keeps up the pace with exciting plotlines. Just about all the characters are interesting as well with good arcs, even the ones that were lame in the beginning.

GonSmithe posted:

I can't recommend not watching Agents of SHIELD enough. It's not a treat at all and is a steaming pile of dogshit through and throughout.

Most of season 1 is a slog to get through, until they tie it into Winter Soldier. After that, it becomes an incredibly fun show to watch, with interesting storylines and characters you really grow to love. Then they make the mistake of writing off the two best characters on the show for a spinoff than never aired. It was still watchable, until the back half of the current season, which is just awful awful awful and I'm ready to give up on the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Who was this?

Bobbi and Hunter were written off the show to give them their own spinoff called Marvel's Most Wanted, that ultimately wasn't even picked up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't understand this. Mallory Jansen has been wonderful and they handled the "Hydra-run world" concept way better than the actual comics have managed.

An imaginary, digital alternate universe where nothing that happens there affects the real world? I have a hard time feeling invested in what's happening there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Who else is binging master of none 2 this weekend

I accidentally managed to finish it all last night. My favorite episode was the Thanksgiving one. The season overall was fantastic, although it ended rather suddenly, and I don't know if I really bought the romantic interest of the season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BrainDance posted:

Yeah I finished it all, and I absolutely loved it but I don't think I fully understood a couple things. So. very final moment of the final episode spoiler, and some stuff that happened before that too, some stuff didn't actually happen? When she completely rejected him and he woke up. That was all a nightmare or something? But how far back didn't happen? I think his text message is supposed to be a hint as to how far back his nightmare went. But then, the very ending is the same poo poo right? But still I don't know how far back it rewinds the whole thing.

Yeah, that was a little unclear to me as well. I don't know if it was a matter of poor editing, or a stylistic choice.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

fish school dropout posted:

Do I need to be caught up on Twin Peaks to watch the new season? I stopped watching a few episodes into season 2.

You should really finish season 2, and watch Fire Walk With Me.

Just skip any scenes with James in season 2.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

Was Lynch involved at all in bringing her in to S2 in the first place? Maybe he's ditching plot threads that he didn't come up with.

She was in the movie, I don't see why that would be a reason.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

coyo7e posted:

Drop everything and watch Creed immediately. It will renew your faith in movies being something good and worthwhile about humanity

Jesus Christ, it's a really good movie, but not THAT good. Way to overhype something to the point that people will go in with expectations that are far and above too high.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Moon Unit's novel is one of the worst most self absorbed piece of poo poo put to paper.

Fully 90% of it is about how hard it is to be the weirdly named daughter of a famous person because you never have to work and there's just no sense of self awareness at all.

Oh yeah, she's the one who dated Marc Maron for a while.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I watched Catfight which was equal parts horrifying and hilarious

You should really listen to the episode of Doug Loves Movies guest starring Sandra Oh, Anne Heche and the director Onur Tukel. Onur was on an episode previously, and was kicked off for being an rear end in a top hat. He apologized, and asked to come back, this time to promote Catfight. Not only did he get kicked off again, but Anne Heche also got kicked off for being a blathering idiot, while Sandra Oh just sat there in awkward bewilderment at the mess around her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I still watch Orange is the New Black, and I thought last season was the best after season one. I still haven't watched the new season yet though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Thwomp posted:

So I stopped watching House of Cards in the middle of Season 4 last year not because I didn't like it but because I got busy with other stuff and wasn't compelled to get back to it. Underwood just recovered from his transplant. I remember it kinda lagging that first half. Did it pick up? Is it worth going through all of it through the new season?

It picks up steam from there, and season 5 is pretty good all the way through. Season 3 was the lowest point for the series for sure. But I have to wonder how much longer this show can keep going. Wasn't it originally only supposed to be 3 seasons?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mysterious frankie posted:

Rent Southland Tales on Amazon. Every once in a while I re-recommend it, because it is THE best adaptation of a Philip K. Dick novel he never wrote. If you're in the right frame of mind it's pretty funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7aS01JpK0

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So everything I've heard about American Horror Story makes it sound like an entertaining trainwreck. Am I wrong?

Season 1 is good. Season 2 is great. Season 3, if you like high camp, then maybe you'll like it. I didn't.

Season 4 is an absolute mess.

Season 5 probably had the most fully realized story since season 2. I liked it. A lot of people didn't.

Season 6 was a stray from formula, I give a B for effort, and a D for execution.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

What are the highlights of Showtime streaming? I'm considering adding it on to Hulu for Twin Peaks but I'm not sure if they have anything else worth watching.

I also got it so I could watch Twin Peaks.

All Showtime shows have one common theme - they have an interesting enough of a premise to be good, even great, for a couple of seasons. Then they all go off the rails and turn into crap. I can't think of a single Showtime show that I've seen where this doesn't happen. So if you're going to do it, I guess the key is to find out where the turning point is, and as much as it pains you to stop watching while you're still in love with the show, just remember that whatever comes next will ruin the series for you.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That doesn't seem surprising, as every single person from The State seems like a massive headcase.

Most of all Kevin Allison. He burned bridges with the cast when the show ended, and based on what he says on his podcast, he was an absolute mess for years and years. Every now and then he'll have someone from the State on his podcast, and it always seems like they're doing it more so out of pity for him. He never had much of a career after things were over beyond cater-waitering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

His podcast fuckin OWNS.

I listen to it every week.