Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

In case you were wondering, moderate Democrats are still terrible.

Hard to believe that guy's not in the leadership.

The good thing about alot of the NDC is that they don't have a spine, beat them around enough and they'll fall in line.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

The need of an outside force is a big flaw in accelerationism's reading of history. In the past there was a clear contest of narratives (free market west vs. communist east, segregationists vs. integrationists, etc) where the democratic process tries to find a third way.

Without a prominent alternative politicians just double down on their existing policies. Which is why we need a fascist party offering a constitutional convention and drastic change. It will put the spurs to the establishment politicians toward needed reforms.

My big problem with it is its ignoring of how people can make change if they actually try to build grass roots, yeah the system is against you, but its not Sissphyian to oppose it. People in general know the system is very sick and want it to change, and giving them the correct alternative really does change things for the better. Just look at how Neoliberals are being pushed in Chicago,neo Liberals can be put in their place within the party, and trying to only concentrate on getting the one true progressive(TM) elected president really doesn't accomplish the change necessary, the Dems will not have a Reagan like figure till the party as a whole has been changed.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Quidam Viator posted:

No, no! Trust in the people of this thread; our current level of activity and the intensity of our current actions, combined with our rosy prospects for 2016 are the best we can possibly achieve. You start acting like we don't have time or doom is impending and they might call you the A-word.

Yep lets instead just let the Kochs destroy the world. Rather than do everthing we can to undermine the "new de3ms". Take over the party, and do everything to take every state office we can while ruthlessly using the law to jail the GOP who are corrupt. Might even push the extreme types to try their second american revolution they threaten and remove a bunch of monsters from America permanently. No instead don't do anything and let these monsters have a stranglehold on America because obviously doing nothing ensures that when the poo poo hits the fan the people will come to us, and not some theo fascists.

About Florida, what I will say is we must accept it will fall, its just to little to late. What we must instead do is work to mitigate it, have refugee camps, and fine tun FEMA, while also realizing that voters do need to have a scapegoat for such situations. So the left must be ready to get some nails and some boards to crucify the libertarians when the poo poo hits the fan. Give people a reason to never want to fallow such a parasitic ideology again.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Quidam Viator posted:

OK everyone, this guy's an ACCELERATIONIST. I will assume now that I have no further work to do; the label has been applied.

PAGING OBDIKUT. Why don't you PM this poor sap like you did me, and maybe you can convince HIM to post an accelerationism thread, and all your masturbatory dreams will come true. Prepare your anus, Crowsbeak. UsPol is coming to tell you how poo poo you are for not just going along at the pace they're going.

Plus they have so MANY other viable strategies for "mitigating the damage". Be sure to ask them all about the plans!

Remind me, how is leash the New Dems, because they are a bunch of cowards who will move with the wind accelerationism? its how the parasite wing of the GOP took over. They took over the local and state party apparatus's in the 60-70s, it was only then that they could get Reagan. What I am arguing isn't accelerationist, its how you do politics. Now perhaps I am a bit of an accelerationist in the fact that I really do believe that America will not be safe till we have had some sort of attempt by the parasites to rise up, fallowed b the necessary security measures. But beyond that I really do not hold your views that we should do nothing and let the degenerates rule.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

DemeaninDemon posted:

Y'all need to drink some whiskey sours.

Just do what I do, and troll tea baggers on youtube. Whats great is when you out extreme them, suddenly they want to pretend to be reasonable and suddenly just want to talk. Really shows why most of them can easily be made to fall in line.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I thought that the moderate, third way democrat approach was decidedly out of fashion after the midterm shellacking last year. Being that red/purple state voters generally prefer to elect actual republicans instead.

Or did I totally misread the consensus after the midterms?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/234224-centrist-dems-ready-strike-against-warren-wing

The lickspittles are scared that the rank and file has decided it no longer needs them, so now they are whining to the publications that will listen.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

We all ridiculed him for thinking that wearing glasses would trick people into thinking he was smart, and then it worked :negative:

Who beyond stupid teabaggers thinks this?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

Just loving arrest the Congressional Republicans under the Logan Act, suspend elections and fix the drat country already Obama. He can assume the title of Caliph too, and use that leverage to reign in ISIS

Also open up the FEMA camps, and invite the UN to bring order.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Well two of the three are completely unabashedly loving over the American people, can you blame them? If theleft wants people to trust government it has to start locally and then work to change national ideas.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Well yes people cared, but did it have any actual negative effects? Did it prevent Cheney from continuing to be VP?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PDP-1 posted:

This lovely thing just popped into my news feed. It's for sure not going to pass, but it's amazing to see it even exists in 2015 and it looks like it'll be legally required to waste a bunch of time and money before it dies.

McLaughlin previously backed an initiative to make the King James Bible a literature textbook in California's public schools.

I know I am kind of to the right of the forum, but considering that we do get alot of our values from the KJV, I wouldn't be against allowing sections of it to be read in a literature class to study its effect on general English literature as a whole.

Although how is it legal to even gather signatures for implementing a law saying "kill this x group"? Although maybe someone should fallow the guy around in a brownshirt get up saying how they agree with the law and think it should apply to jews as well.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 23, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

in theory, I'm in full agreement. You could teach a course on idioms from the bible alone, much less getting in to its role in influencing wider literature, art, culture, law, and history.

In practice if you think it wouldn't be the same kind of thin cover that "teach the controversy" is for creationism, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.

I argue for it because I want people to have a good understanding of their culture. I certainly do not want it being taught in History classes that the founding fathers wanted it as the law of the land.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

People who say rights come from God should be detained indefinitely. I'm sure an army of forest critters will bust them out of Gitmo and the FEMA camps.

People who say rights are natural should also be. Both are really funny concepts.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Warszawa posted:

The major problem with this is "whose culture?", especially if you're arguing for the KJV in a country where the largest single Christian denomination in the nation doesn't use it.

Our culture, the anglo saxon culture that even when the country no longer can trace the majority of their genetic roots from Britain it still is subsumed in.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Warszawa posted:

That's a highly regionalized statement even if you accept the premise that immigrants and first-generation Americans are either equally subsumed or proportionally less of the country or the validity of the plural possessive pronoun. Compare the prevalence of Anglo-Saxon culture in Connecticut versus Florida versus California.

One of the awesome things about a country organized around a set of principles versus an ethnonational identity at the outset is that it allows if not mandates incredible diversity in the nation's culture--we should really be talking about American cultures, versus American culture.

Wait until they find out he was a founding editor of the Harvard Latino Law Review.

Alright please tell me how our culture is not a Anglo culture, seriously I would like to know because while WASPs may largley no longer exist the literature that WASPs brought forth and brought over still dominates our culture.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

As long as those ideas were presented equally, they were still of the opinion that the Church was right, they just were not willing to throw him into bondage over his ideas yet.

I mean, lest we forget Giordano Bruno...

Yeah being killed for being a closet Arian. The church killed him for a reason it killed alot of other people, not for believing Copernicus.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

What is the gay version of an Uncle Tom, I wonder?

A uncle Rohm.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
How is she racketeering?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Turnquiet posted:

QV's accelerationism may not be the answer, but long ago I realized that being a

is pretty much the only avenue left to affect change in this country and am not seeing too much evidence to the contrary. History has shown that when things gets lovely enough and the people are hopeless that they then are free to be what they need to be to cast down the oppressors, but it won't happen fast enough to save the country/world.

I long aqgo accepted it won't happen fast enough, but then I get alot of my ideas from Oswald Spengler.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Umm Pence also supports a needle exchange.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

You know, I've seen lots of stuff about "recall Mike Pence" on facebook over the Indiana discrimination law, but I really feel that this is losing sight of the forest for the single really tall tree. In order for the law to get to his desk it had to go through the Indiana Legislature first. If Indiana residents really want to show that this kind of law is not something that the state stands for then maybe they should make a concerted effort to get those legislators out of office.

Not to mention that a recall would probably be completely ineffectual because the state democratic party will just flub it like Wisconsin did and it isn't a presidential election so the democrat voters aren't going to make the effort to go vote.

Which I think is kind of a sign of the big problem that the democratic party has(they really need a good abbreviation like GOP incidentally), in particular the DNC. They don't push to their voters how important all the small elections and lower positions are. They seem to focus 100% on the presidency while the GOP is buying smaller positions right and left and making bank from it. Look at Iowa. We have voted blue for quite a while in presidential elections but we have 2 GOP senators(one of whom is the most obvious and clear corporate stooge you could have for a senator), a GOP governor, and a GOP controlled state legislature. WTF are the voters in this state doing?

Maybe they need to be called the DFL?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

His Purple Majesty posted:

Why dont we just support the Green Party? They seem to have pretty good policy and they aren't ran by craven lunatics

Yes antivaxers who out of principle oppose our best way out of oil are a great people to support.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

What's the best thread for TPP chat? I'm reading that apparently a recently leaked and still-classified section will permit corporations to sue governments for impinging on profitability which is pretty nuts:

Article: Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) - Investment Chapter
From: Wikileaks
Date: March 25, 2015

If this is true all I can say is this is why I feel totalitarianism is fine in the defense of democratic values. If you really do advocate such insanity as this you really do deserve a decade or two behind bars, no questions asked.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Someone got their hands on a deathnote.

Really we should require these anti gay bills to say a business must up and say no fags on its window and website. I mean that's a nice compromise then their upfront.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I joined to take part in LPs,,

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

Indiana sentenced women sentenced to 20 years for miscarrying

Man, Indiana's really showcasing conservative policy lately.

Look I may be pro life but in these cases I will always side with the mother. Because what happened is between her and God. Seriously I hope they can get this law appealed and her a pardon because this is just outrageous. Best of all even if someone would support this lovely law the prosecutors had no actual proof that she intentionally miscarried, I mean in this case all you have is that state saying "she miscarried", no actual people saying that she told them she was planing on killing the fetus, because we say without any corroboration this is not proof. Seriously gently caress this law.

Fried Chicken posted:

The trial is way WAY more hosed than that short article makes it appear. The police interrogated Patel sans Miranda after she'd just gotten out of emergency surgery. They then got a warrant and searched her cell phone and found texts in which Patel expressed a strong ambivalence toward her pregnancy, and a desire to end it, and these were used against her at trial.

That's right - if you didn't intend to get pregnant and make mention of it, this can and will be used against you in a court of law.

Did she say, I want to end my pregnancy? Becuase if not, thats not strong evidince. Also Sans Miranda! Seriously wtf is up with Indiana.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 1, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

their "evidence" that it wasn't her miscarrying was that she texted the father about how she was scared and she didn't know what to do, that her family was upset, that she hadn't planned on getting pregnant, and she wasn't sure if she should have an abortion or give it up for adoption or carry it to term.

This will send her to jail.

How is that evidence? Especailly when they couldn't find any of the drugs they claimned in her system. What rational person in a jourey would convict with that? Seriously the police that interrogated her and the entire prosecutorial team should be fired. That reads to me like a women was confused, not someone who really wanted to kill her unborn.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

Well her friend also offered to buy her abortion drugs.

"Abortion drugs" being the term that appears in the news reports. And again, the toxicology report showed she hadn't taken any.

Welcome to Indiana. Where The Handmaid's Tale is a guide, not a warning

But she didn't buy them. If she didn't buy them, they have no case. Seriously how can you with this ridulous law in place prove beyond a reasonable doubt she did this? I mean beyond, dead baby and she didn't go to the ER with it? THats preety haky if all you have is dead baby.

Also good on the SEC, make them squirm.

  • Locked thread