Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Holdbrooks posted:

It is Super overkill but i have a hard time doing anything half assed. On the up side I can do some video stuff that takes forever on my MBP, but mostly I will be using it with my projector to play steam games until I get sim setup with a few monitors going here soon.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
Graphics card: MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
RAM:G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
SSD: 512gb Samsung 850 PRO
Storage: WD Green 4TB
Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black

then some extra case fans and a dvd burner

The only thing here I'd change is the WD Green. I've not been too impressed with the greens' failure rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bolind posted:

I'll be damned if I know the English name, but this is a specific product.

Like the pic says, fish tape.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meltie posted:

Suck it, geeks! This weekend I get to borrow a Cray X-MP for an exhibit :v:

A complete one, or one that's been hacked up for display?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

I have been charged with refurbing my mother's old laptop to give to sort of nephew in-law to use for his school work as his parents are too busy buying poo poo for their new baby to care about the son they already have.

It's a Win7 machine, like 6 years old I think. Best way to wipe it clean?

Just get a windows 7 install iso, make a bootable thumb drive, and format it as part of the install procedure.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Don't I need a product key for that?

Is it not stuck to the bottom of the laptop? It left the factory with one. If it's not there, check under the battery or under one of the removable doors on the bottom. Sometimes they hide them.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Not seeing anything. There's a bunch of dry adhesive so it probably fell off.

Oh, that makes it worse then. Hope the hard drive never dies! Does it have a system recovery partition? Often you'll be able to press F-something to get to system recovery, then re-image the factory loadout onto it. Then you can prune the preinstalled shovelware. If it doesn't have the recovery partition, I guess you're stuck with manually removing everything and scanning it with your favorite antivirus/antimalware/etc tools. Unless there's a tool for bulk uninstalling that I'm not aware of.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

There are ways to recovery the key from the registry. It's been a while, but do some googleing.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Magical Jelly Bean

If it's still on its factory install (i.e. hasn't been reinstalled by his mom), this won't work. The key they're installed with at the factory is a bulk key that requires a special certificate that the OEM keeps control over. It's different than the unique key that (should be) stuck to the bottom, which works with regular media.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

The sticker was in the bag!

Too bad it won't validate. I keep getting an error message.

Maybe your disc is for the wrong version? Home/Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate etc.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

I swear it didn't give me that option but I don't ever do this poo poo so I probably missed it.

When it asks you where to install, and you select "Local Disk (C:\)" or whatever, there are options at the bottom of the screen (perhaps hidden under "advanced" or something) to erase the partition. Do that, and tell it to install into the unpartitioned space, and let it create the partition for you. This is assuming you booted from your install media, rather than running it from within the old OS.

Tomarse posted:

For future reference the certificate is called the SLIC and you can export them (along with the key) so that you can then flatten and reinstall the os. You then install the cert and activate with the OEM key.

We supply loads of hp machines and always flatten them first. Every hp device we have done over the last 12 months has used the same OEM windows license key (you have to export them as you no longer get a sticker) and the same SLIC.

Whoa, that's cool as hell. Does it work in XP? I wish I knew this when I was working at the local computer shop. Would have saved a few customers who lost their keys. That's slick! :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

General_Failure posted:

My Condolences.

Yeah. I lost my last grandparent a number of years ago, same sort of thing. Sorry, dude.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Same, 3 years ago in 3 weeks.

I gotta admit, that post hit me in the feels a bit. Sorry for your loss Viggen.

It was 7 years ago for me, and I still make myself sad thinking about it from time to time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CharlesM posted:

Guys, you can kill insects with soapy water. Spraying brake cleaner on stuff seems bad

But soapy water won't turn into a flamethrower when lit. :confused:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mariooncrack posted:

Hey 88h88, I was wondering if you knew how to make one of the following :

I've got some nicer headphones that require an amp and I was curious on how to make one of these bare wire to 1/4th or 1/8th connector.

The wiring part of this is easy, that connector is just tip ring sleeve (TRS):

Wire the grounds from both outputs to the sleeve, the right positive to the ring, and the left positive to the tip.

The problem, like 88h88 mentioned, is the impedance. Looks like those headphones are 32 ohms, so it will depend on what loads the amp you use is rated for. Parallel some power resistors with your signals to drop the impedance, or series them with the load to raise it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KozmoNaut posted:

it is [...] utterly free from noise

So it runs the opamps at absolute zero, does it? :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tusen Takk posted:

My wife noticed I have a few weird looking freckles/moles and I was like oh I've had those a while and she suddenly looked really worried and made me swear that I'd have it checked out this week :ohdear:

I hope that I'm as immune to the sun as I thought I was...

Well, keep in mind that UF is still alive.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mariooncrack posted:

Thanks for the picture, definitely helps out a lot. I forgot that there multiple versions of the headphones I have. I actually have the 250 ohm version.

OK so the problem I see with trying to drive 250 ohm speakers with an 8 ohm amplifier is that the impedance is so different. If you balance it with resistors, you'll only have a tiny amount of current going through your headphones; most would get wasted in the resistors. If you don't do anything and just plug it in, I'd expect you would get reflections back at the amp (and I'm lead to believe they don't like this) due to the impedance mismatch. Can someone else who's actually an EE chime in on this? I've only had one electromagnetism class, and I'm not sure I have it straight.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I was under the impression that when a traveling wave changed from a low impedance to a high impedance medium, it would reflect some of the signal back, depending on the media.

KozmoNaut posted:

I think you're confusing a few things. Impedance generally isn't matched in audio applications. Ideally you want the output impedance to be as low as possible.

The output impedance on a power amplifier is usually less than 0.1 ohm

ok :kiddo:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What's worse... A jaguar x type with a bad transfer case, a discovery with a bad head gasket or a bitchin camaro with a wheezy v6.

Or just stabbing myself in the dick

Camaro, then fix the V6 problem.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The foreman on this job is really making me scratch my head...

We need about 60k more feet of CAT5E and he won't order any. We only have 16 boxes over 250' which is only enough to pull two rooms at once -- instead of the normal 4. After that I'll only be able to pull a few more rooms before I am all out of cable...

Why are you even installing 5E these days? 6 isn't that much more of a pain to punch down. Is it prohibitively hard to run in the quantities you're dealing with?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

Penny pinching.

Just seems like the labor is the expensive part, so it's not worth doing twice when you decide you want to run faster speeds in 5-10 years.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

I need to stop looking at cars on eBay. They're cheap, but they're all so far away.

Someone explain to me why I shouldn't buy a 1966 Galaxie wagon with no engine in California. (I'm in FL BTW)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321692493301?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Because it's not a '64.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Got emails today through row52 that two LS trucks hit the yard this morning. So I head over there, about two hours after opening, and both motors are hanging from hoists. How does anyone say with a straight face that these motors are junkyard plentiful? I've only been looking for a power steering pump/bracket/alternator for one for, oh, five years or so. :mad:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Specifically LS?

Because I have been to two yards so far today and walked by like 30 or 40 LM7s, LTs, probably an LQ or two, and whatever else vortec. Maybe an LR4 or five but who gives a poo poo about those?

This is the one reason the rustbelt is great. Drivetrains last longer than sheetmetal.

Nah, these were LM7. I actually prefer the truck accessories. Not a fan of the power steering pump above the alternator on the F-body motors.

That's a good idea, though; what happened to that junkyard parts wanted thread we had? I don't suppose aluminum lasts very long there without getting all oxidized and poo poo, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I never ever ever have seen one in a yard in a truck, even the 350 Vortecs and LT1s are usually pulled. There's usually one, maybe two of those still there per yard, though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Same here in Iowa. TBI and the vortech 350s all day long. LSx motors are showing up on a regular basis now, along with the trailblazer 4.2 atlas 6 bangers.

I wouldn't mind the atlas motor, but not sure what I could stuff it in, its a pretty tall motor, plus they were only mated to auto boxes.

There are aftermarket bellhousings for them, and I think the I5 bellhousing can adapt them to other stuff. Neat swap that I was looking at the other day, since they're a 295HP aluminum block I6 that would be pretty drat sweet; too bad they're so hard to fit into sportscars hah.

Thanks

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They have gobs of torque too. If they were slanted over around 20 degrees or so they would make a killer swap. I believe they are variable valve timing as well.

If anything it would be pretty cool in an old C10. But at that point just go with a v8.

Yeah they are. First GM motor to have it on the exhaust, IIRC. Plus, DOHC. Neat motors, poo poo packaging.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mooseykins posted:

I have 3 points for speeding, for doing 110mph in a 40

Whoa, I hate to be that guy, but what the gently caress is this? 110 in a 65 on the freeway is one thing, but in a 40? :catstare:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tusen Takk posted:

IDK why the display looks like it has dead pixels there but it doesn't :v:

Probably is using PWM to dim the display, and updates the display in rows. Like a CRT scanline, kind of.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

Stop buying teenager fashion jeans and they'll last longer. And fade better.

/denimsperg

I had a pair of regular Levis 501s that wore out super fast. I replaced them with a pair of shrink-to-fit ones that seem to be doing a bit better.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

T1g4h posted:

Re: Denimchat, I just wear some random generic carpenter pants. It's hard finding stuff that is loose fitting (baggy as gently caress) and long enough for my giant megalegs. Not many companies seem to make loose fitting stuff in 36/36. Though in all honesty I need to go to 36/38 because the legs on these are ever so slightly too short.

It's worse to be tall *and* skinny. I'm like a 30/34, but in Levis for some reason a 34 is too short. But 36 is too long. Aggravating.

iwentdoodie posted:

Quality denim is so, so worth it.

It's alright, but I'm not convinced that they're really any better than my Dickies.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamnit. Something is lagging the (household gigabit) LAN so badly that I can't even watch TV, and can barely pull up web pages, and my antivius and firewall are both going apeshit over incoming "attacks".

A quick glance at the switch told me what's going on - the port stepdad's laptop is plugged into is lit solid. Unplugging that port brings me to 75mbit on speed tests instead of 0.02bit. Last time I fixed his computer, I told him it was the last time I would ever touch it.

You can't fix stupid <tm>.

Sounds like your mistake was treating him like an adult who gets to make his own decisions. If you do decide to touch it again, lock that poo poo down tight. There are a few free Deepfreeze alternatives that will let you lock the system down from changes; whether you give him a thawspace for documents is at your discretion.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

chicago

Anyone I missed?

sperglord firecock :getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Hey what happened to Pham Nuwen organizing a southbay goonmeat/drive? Did I miss a thread?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Das Volk posted:

I don't think he ever did but between James Brooks and my friends and I we have done most of the AI stuff around the bay for the past year.

Speaking of people named James, that reminds me: what happened to James Woods? I assume he just has real life poo poo to deal with as a result of success, and not from lack thereof.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mainly it's because I pulled the windshield off my Midget, then found that the windshield frame was kinda hosed up in places, then decided to start prepping it for paint while I figure out the windshield.

I've found a guy with another frame to sell me, so hopefully I'll get that poo poo wrestled back together soon.

Still need to order those rubber pieces I forgot the first time around...

Ah right. Guess I haven't really kept up with your thread. It's all good, anyway; I've been too busy with school to do anything in the last month or so anyhow.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Where are these haters of the challenger? I dont think there are any in AI that car is pretty rad. :thumbsup:

I guess I'm one of those. Other than it being a Chrysler, the main thing I don't like about the Challenger is styling. Plus it's just too drat big. But the styling really really doesn't work on a car that size. It's like they took the '70 Challenger, and when they had to make it bigger they just stretched it down. The tail lights are way up at the top of the rear, and under them should be the bumper and then no more car. Instead, what you get is another foot of "why is this here" where the license plate is. Here's an illustration:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

1500quidporsche posted:

The Challenger passes an important test that the Mustang and Camaro fail miserably.

If you were meeting somebody for the first time and they pulled up in one of those cars, would you roll your eyes or go grab a drink with them.

See, I don't think so. To me, the Challenger is the one you get if you want one that "looks" like a muscle car. The Camaro is the one you get if you want to mod it to 4-digit horsepower. The Mustang is the one you get if you want a sports car. :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

My mustang tells good jokes.

Hopefully no knock-knock jokes :ohdear:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SFH1989 posted:

That's an neat car, I don't think they sold them in the US. I am actually considering a 5.0 Mustang for my next car as a daily driver. I've been driving a Fiesta for three years and it been way to sensible.

What motor is in your LTD? Isn't it a 429 or something? Why not build that up a bit and have fun with that instead of getting a boring modern car?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Seems to me like the price difference between what you'd sell it for and what a new Mustang costs would pay for a lot of suspension parts, but I guess it's fair to want something smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

You're out of luck then because they've never made a manual Charger?

Not recently, anyway.

• Locked thread