Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Any ideas for painting the base of one of my Oath minis? Maybe just a decent recipe for a dirty ground, like in a medieval marketplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Who makes the best yellow that doesn't suck? Not like an ochre but a true primary yellow. My old Sunburst has given up the ghost and my old Golden Yellow is almost gone.

I'd say avoid the VMC Golden Yellow, I've had two bottles and they were very thin.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oh wow, that's a brilliant use of magnets :captainpop:

edit: Also I'm chiming in for Coal black, it's a fine colour.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What happened to Rackham? I've gathered they flared out quickly, but is there more to it than that?

JackMann posted:

Nearing completion on Demogorgon.

How stable is he? I've got Khanjira and I think he might need some pins in him to keep him steady.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

w00tmonger posted:

I've been doing my zenithal black to grey to white, but would it work just doing grey to white? I have some flying models and am worried that they're going to look a bit crap from the bottom given how vibrant I want to paint them

I did that for priming my Oath this month and it seems to be working out fine so far. The black would have played around with the other colours too much.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Signal posted:

If you're going to compare, find internet paint jobs from someone other than Angel :p

Speaking of, does anyone here recommend his painting book? I'm considering picking it up at Gencon but just wanted to hear from anyone who has it now.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good stuff, I might hold off on the purchase for now, or maybe just look around at basic airbrush tutorials.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JackMann posted:

Desert troll won! Huzzah! I'll be talking to the judge tomorrow about some of the things I could have done better, but mine was still the best of the five entries, and I won eighty bucks in store credit. Not sure what I'll use it on yet, but still pretty cool.

It's a pretty fresh take on the troll scheme.

Somewhat troll related, I bought a goofy mini to paint for a friend.

I gave it another green glaze afterwards, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I need to build a light-box for taking pictures.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

The Reaper models got a limited re-run a couple of years ago, I want to say for the Doom 20th anniversary commemorations. You had to buy the entire box set for like 100+ bucks and I was poor(er) then so I didn't really get to take advantage. :( I don't know why they can't just be licensed as part of Reaper's perpetual catalog. I can only assume that it's because Bethesda has almost as neurotic a relationship with their intellectual property as GW does.

Considering how fun they look, I'm thinking about emailing Bethesda, because that would be a great gimmick for a collector's edition.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any advice for my soviet general goblins? Anything I should fix or should I just go ahead and seal them?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dr_ether posted:

The fur trim looks a little flat, but that could just be the photo washing the colour out.

It is a little flat, would you suggest giving it some fur pattern with highlights?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great painting, but I also really like the logo you've got krushgroove.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Army Painter Dark tone ink wash does the same. Strong tone is meant to be good too but I've not tried it myself yet.

Their "Strong Tone" is one of the contenders to the former "Agrax Earthshade" market. It and the dark tone are great, but the soft/sepia ink doesn't really do it for me.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oaf Complete! I tried a tutorial for metallic painting on the bull, and while it's a little messy, I like how it turned out. Pumpkin beholder was tricky since I forgot how fussy orange paint can be, and the Necromancer half-orc is a great little mini. Also next month I've gotta get a lightbox.

BOO!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

Uh, Weirdo. I think you mixed up your threads :v: I was curious about the fact that your xpost isn't in a quote box like others usually are, so I checked, and you don't seem to have posted to the Oath thread yet, possibly having confused this thread for the Oath one. If you don't see this before tomorrow, I'd avoid editing your post, and post to the Oath thread explaining the mixup!

Oh damnit, that's what I get for posting on Halloween, but thanks for pointing it out.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 1, 2015

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

When it comes to greenstuff, the 4 things I learned that made it way easier to do:

1- Using vegetable oil
2- Waiting 15min after mixing
3- Clay loving shapers
4- Gluing it into place

I was tempted to try some olive oil for my molds, thought against it, but I'm glad to hear it's a sound option. Also waiting 15 mins is a tip I will have to try, thanks!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

Just leave Saitama's face on there, it's perfect as-is.

I was just thinking that...

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks great! Better than me with my dominant left :v: Do you make your own birch seedpod leaf litter or do you have to buy them? I live in Vancouver so they just fall in the streets.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rzal posted:

I don't recognize that miniature, but I like your color choices.

Looks like a kirin of some type.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

Finished up the Wights.

Additionally, I did some Revenant Kings using old Grave Guard models and a Bones model I had kicking around.

I'm reminding myself to get a third light to shine down from above. Two lights really isn't cutting it with this light box.

So Age of Sigmar guys, some skellies from Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts, and one sword looks like a Chaos Marauder. Did I miss anything? :v:

Great figures, I'm thinking of a similar blue colour for my Undead.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

welp looks like it was too good to be true after all

Felime posted:

Yeah, that's a shame. I was looking forward to getting those.

crime fighting hog posted:

Aw hamburgers. I ordered this too.

Hauki posted:

Well, Amazon cancelled my brush order for the cheap Windsor & Newton from a while back. Said they were "unable to obtain" them.

Good to know it wasn't only me.

On a different note, I'm looking to paint some mantic troopers in a 'Solid snake' style pattern and wondered if anyone had any advice for painting and shading blue-grey, or what a good basing scheme might be. Or just any fun Metal Gear ideas or models for inspiration :ocelot:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

"Mom! Dad! Don't touch it! It's EVIW!"

That movie is objectively terrible, which is probably why I enjoyed it.

*parents immediately explode*

Fantastic ending, Sean Connery leaving a small child alone on the street with the smoking remains of his parents.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I don't loving know, I just want them table-ready.

Here's some of my orcs, I used a desert yellow and oak brown theme on everything nonmetal or non-skin.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Been playing with OSL. My brushwork is messy as hell, but it turned out okay.

The lovely phone photos actually make it look better than it does in person, though it has fully desaturated the dark blue I used to highlight the shadowed areas.

Ok? I think it looks great! I'll have to try something with my Frostgrave soldiers.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harkano posted:

What's a good wash for going over Gold? Working on these guys - http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/trollbloods/warlocks/hoarluk-doomshaper-dire-prophet

I have the full Army Painter Coloured tones set.

Strong and soft tones work much better than the dark one on gold. Purple or green are fun for giving it a magical tint.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I used to do watercolor and pencil sketching regularly but haven't enjoyed freehanding on minis that often because of the curved areas. Thanks for the pro-tip about sketching with a pencil though. Never thought of that. I just used a permanent marker to outline my graffiti-laden space truck before:

Is that Bossk's ship? I didn't expect him to get big into spice, but it wouldn't surprise me what with the crowd he hangs out with.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I came home from work to find this:

Why, it's the can of Quick Shade I ordered! Hooray! :suicide:

The guy sent a can of stain in an envelope. What the gently caress.

The best part is that it was almost dry by the time I got home!

That's grody, I'd offer to send you my can of mostly unused shade, but shipping that stuff across borders isn't easy.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LazyAngel posted:

Completed the build stage of Project Battlewren with a quick trip to pick up some Scibor dwarf and celtic shields and plates;

Painting next, likely appearing in the Oath thread in the near future.

Fantastic. Is he going to be a dwarf berserker lord for Kings of War?

fwiw: If the army painter tone gets too watery it doesn't pool as nicely as some of the GW washes. Completely anecdotal of course, but it's a great cheap mucky shade if you haven't made your own yet (which will be my next step as my kickstarters roll in).

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 7, 2016

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

I am intrigued and demand pictures.

Here ya go. Great little company, I ordered some figures from them and they sent me a bonus ranger.

Also cat emperor is a fantastic mini, I've painted one as a gift to friends, and a second one needs finishing on my desk.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Eyes come with time. It will take a while. The best way I've done is to paint the entire eye black, then paint on two white lines in both sides. It helps prevent the tunnel vision effect.

I just painted up some more Empire of Dust for Kings of War. Not as quickly as I hoped, but progress is progress:

Flying Pharoah:

Regiments of Scavengers:

Horde of Chariots:

Love the dusty basing scheme.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GoodBee posted:

I'd imagine that depends on your local tap.

Yeah, water nerd here, certain areas have more trace metals and minerals in the tap water that might interact with various pigments. I've never had it happen, but a friend on Salt Spring Island used his sulfur-rich well water to paint some minis, which now smell faintly like eggs.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm painting noted chill pilot with the callsign "Wampa"

If I were an imperial pilot, he'd be my go-to guy for where to find space weed.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

:same: If anyone has recipes for vallejo colors, I'm specifically looking for those but any are good.

I like the scibor tutorial.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

So after I dip my models, I could then matte-varnish and in theory go over the top - for example, to make metallics pop again or paint areas that I don't want shaded with brown?

I've been playing around with the army painter dip, and this method works well. Look for the zombicide painting tutorials on youtube, they go over this exact style of painting, and it really looks nice. I don't always dip the figures, I also use a larger brush to apply the varnish, but you might want to use an extra dryer brush to help get rid of excess liquid, since the varnish can pool up like a wash.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I would highly recommend watching Sorastro's Black Plague tutorial before starting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMOTmOchKyQ

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking of! Really a great tutorial.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dr_ether posted:

WIP on the Kingdom Death Dung Beetle Knight

Using a combination of Vallejo, P3 and Scale 75 paints.

They have some really nice models, and the colouring is great, but yeah you should change the img tag to timg.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

poasting to confirm this did not work. Tip is still hosed.

I've got a blue bottle of "Brush Restorer" by Vallejo (~$10) which has helped me reshape a few points on my brushes.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

So my dad wants me to paint something for him as some kind of token he can have in his house. I need some kind of a suggestion of a 54mm or bigger thing to paint that isn't expensive as hell but also doesn't have Bones-style gaps all over it. What's a good website for this?

If your dad is like my dad and loves historicals, you might want to browse some of the products from Young's Miniatures. I'm not too sure about ordering from them, but you can find their products on ebay.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd add a tattoo on one or more beserkers and some blood to the orc heads:orks:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

I took your advice, and this is what I've got so far. I don't want to make much more work for myself, but if there are any specifics you can think of for a final flourish I would greatly appreciate it:

Obviously very WIP.

I am really digging the multi based berserkers, I know they look fiddly to assemble, but my KoW dwarves and abyssal dwarves could use some more berserker troops :black101:

Also for the ironclad I would suggest a brassy or golden colour on some metal accents, like the stars, to help break up the iron a bit. The purple hammerheads would look nice alongside a few warmer gold details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Not painting related, but its a pretty solid deal so I figured I'd share:

Star Saga by Mantic Games has two days left, and the core pledge is currently $100 for 83 miniatures (some look quite large), 40 pieces of sci-fi scenery, some generic space station floor tiles, and a full fledged 1-4 player game.

I'm currently on the fence since [for me] its a big price for something I wont see until october '17. Can anyone with experience with Mantic describe the quality of their minis, their games, what other games they're in scale with, etc?

I backed the fantasy game, Dungeon Saga, and am happy with my pledge. Mantic are firmly a 28mm scale type company, and from what I can tell these figures can be used in their Deadzone and warpath games (much in the same way the Dungeon Saga minis could be used for Kings of War). You can google pictures of the figures from the Dungeon Saga kickstarter, but they are on par with their Mars Attacks! line, and the scenery was very well done.