Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got (officially) fired last week. Got a call for an interview just a little while ago :toot:

Of course part of the interview is giving a lesson to administrators pretending to be students. I actually interviewed with this school about two years ago, and it remains the absolute most bizarre interview I have ever gone on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Coredump posted:

Yo real talk the way pizza franchises charge me a fee for delivery and that fee doesn't go to the driver blows.

That and how their hourly wage is cut in half while on deliveries.

I'm glad mine isn't cut while I'm running parts.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Don't gently caress with HIPAA

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got fired from my school last week. Interviewed for a new position this morning, got the job this afternoon. Gainful employment :toot:

Then I got to put a battery in an immaculate 92 F150 that a guy bought from an old man that only drove it to church on Sunday. Looked like it just came off the lot.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Magnus Praeda posted:

Congrats! My wife's been subbing for two years trying to get a full-time position, but our market is way over-saturated, so it's been really tough.

Thanks! It's the hiring time of year, so good luck to her.

Pizza chat: i dont care so long as i can cover it with hot sauce :colbert:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm sitting here still thinking about which organs he punctured and wondering how many surgeries it took to patch that poor dude up.

Looks like he probably kept both of the "boys" though.

And all that area exposed to whatever was on that rod opening him up to massive infection.

Hope his tetanus shot was up to date :ohdear:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

InitialDave posted:

Hyacinth Bucket as Immortan Bouquet.

Holy poo poo that would be amazing

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

some texas redneck posted:

The hosed up part? I was attending a state university at the time. One of my instructors told me I would lose up to 20 points off of the next exam if I missed classes to attend the funeral,

This is already messed up...

some texas redneck posted:

and actually suggested I have a family member use a phone to take a video of her funeral.

...and this is where I would have probably caught an assault charge. Maybe it's the lack of caffeine in my system right now, but that poo poo makes my blood boil. As an educator, self important teachers like that need a good sock to the jaw.

Couch chat: There's never too much couch. Ever. My recliner puts me to sleep nearly every night. It's comfortable, I'm usually tired...a lethal combination for sleep.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
06 F150 V6

Truck has been sitting for about six hours now. It's about 90 degrees out. My antifreeze should still be between the cold fill lines on my expansion tank, right?

Cause it's not even close, and afaik I don't have any sort of leaks...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

MrChips posted:

You guys talk as if Discovery hasn't been poo poo for a long time already. Remember American Hot Rod? aka Boyd Coddington Yells At His Staff.

My favorite Boyd Yells at Staff Moment (as I remember it, anyway): He orders a ton of chicken wings for his shop. Two guys don't like wings, so they quietly slip out, get some lunch, and come back without saying anything. He yells and calls them ungrateful or some such :v:

I think I'm going to try sketchy drive thru chinese for lunch.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Oh man there is no one at this place....

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Backov posted:

There's no such things as boneless wings. You're eating chicken assholes pressed into a form.

Boneless wings that aren't bargain bin nuggets are made from chicken tenders :confused:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That's a pretty cat

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Have I mentioned how much retail is obnoxious?

Highlights include:
-5 to 7 batteries installed in the heat (not obnoxious, really, people are generally cool about it; it's just hot as balls is all)

-Person calls the store, "Hi, my a/c isn't working in my car. Can you run a diagnostic on it?" "No, ma'am, I'm afraid we don't do that." "Oh. Do you know what a shop charges for that? I don't want to get taken advantage of!" "Ma'am, I'm afraid I don't (I honestly don't know, if I did I'd be glad to let her know)." "WELL THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!" *click*

-Man comes in smelling of alcohol. Buys license plate screws. I offer him a screwdriver so he can put them on. "Yeah, I ought-tah. Been ridin' around with my license plate on the back seat and I don't wanna get pulled over." "No, sir, they'll give you a ticket for it, ha ha." "Yeah, and I've got a nasty habit of drinking beer."

-Free lunch :toot:

-Being slammed from 6 until 8 meant that those two hours flew the gently caress by quick, which is nice.

-And my biggest pet peeve is this poo poo here. Phone call, "Hi, I want to get a price check on a fuel pump for a 85 Mercedes." "Gotcha. What model Mercedes?" "1985." "Right. What sort of Mercedes is it?" "...A 1985." "...No, is it an E300..." "OHHHh...." Ah yes, the venerable 1985 Mercedes, such a good model - and this happens all the drat time with any make or model car. Before anyone asks, no, it's pretty clear that I understood the year and make. I even repeat it sometimes, for example, "85 Mercedes, what model/type?" and they still, with complete confidence, state, "1985."

There's perks, too, like getting regular customers and helping them get exactly what they need. Or helping Hispanic customers get what they need since I speak Spanish. Honestly, the helping people part is pretty swell, but dealing with alcoholics or ignorant people is tiresome.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Black88GTA posted:

Oh, can I play? Holy poo poo, someone else knows the "counter monkey" experience. Have you ever gotten yelled at because someone came in asking for a part for the (very) wrong model year car, you get it, and they come back a couple hours later super pissed off and yelling to your manager because "this idiot gave me the wrong part" when their shitbox is 3 years newer than the part they asked for? And then get blamed for it? Because I have. Holy poo poo gently caress working at a parts counter.

I've had that happen or they intensely argue that I've found the wrong part for their vehicle because what I have doesn't look like theirs. Then they restate the vehicle and, hey, what do you know, it's a 2003 not a 1993 all of a sudden!

There's also the loving morons that don't understand how a warranty works. I've had several in the past couple of weeks that want to bring in a part on a warranty claim and get their money back. Whose warranty works like that? You want to use our part for a year and if it breaks, get your money back? Every warranty there is replaces the product or repairs it for free. No one gives you money back.

MustardFacial posted:

I always walk into a parts store with a piece of paper with the part number on it. Hand it to the guy and just say "I need this." Not because they're stupid or I think they'll gently caress up, but because I figure this is the easiest way to make their life and mine a little bit more simple.

I don't mind this a bit. Hell, I've even used facetime with a customer's husband to make sure it's the right part :v:

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddammit, this week sucks. First James Last dies and now Christopher Lee as well :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjuKIg6Tx0

Rest in peace, Dracula/Scaramanga/Lucifer/Saruman/that creepy dentist from Willy Wonka/etc. etc. etc.

Seriously, just look at this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lee_filmography

He also recorded two heavy metal concept albums about Charlemagne. The first when he was 87 and the second when he was 90. He had a fantastic fantastic voice even at that age.

What? poo poo. :(

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Holy crap today is an onslaught of loving morons and touchy feely people. Don't loving touch me. :stare:

Highlights include a guy not knowing his own name, a woman touching all over me, and a separate woman trying to hard to make witty remarks about every little thing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

fjelltorsk posted:

Sorry for the E/N, i just felt like sharing

Good news like this should always be shared!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Pham Nuwen posted:

It was actually a cowboy hat.

I feel like men who ride horses are pretty normal but that contact with horses does something to the female brain. Horse women are the weirdest people on the loving planet and they revel in it.

Bullshit, sign. Bullshit.

I rarely, if ever, say stuff like this... but yeah, that one's pretty much spot on. Horse women are a whole barrel full of insanity.

Spent a good couple of hours out of my morning fishing and wading in a lake. Clear water, a nice breeze... No fish, and I got cut short by rain. Can't win them all, but a bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Shot of the lake as the storm rolled in.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

You Am I posted:

An Australian White Supremacist has been busted by the police for selling weed to local Aborigines. Here's his garage:

:stare:

I don't know that I've ever seen more obvious evidence against the argument that the Confederate* flag is about heritage and not hate. I mean, if a white supremacist on the other side of the world recognizes and identifies it as being on par with Nazi Germany and white supremacy...

*I know it's actually like the VA army flag or something, but that's just what everyone identifies it as.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Lightbulb Out posted:

Yeah that's what we're trying to attempt. I'm not really ready to add a 3rd cat to the household but I can't turn this one away :smith:

Thought about putting up a picture on a local FB group? There's a few lost/found pets local groups for where I am, and they seem to allow "free to a good home" type posts, too.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I get enough monitoring poo poo on my cars at work, I don't need it at home.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Enourmo posted:

Why exactly is "The confederate flag represents racism" such a difficult assertion for some people to accept?

I mean even the General Lee has it covered up in most car museums and I wholly approve of that tbh.

It's super popular among poor whites because waaay back in the day, conservatives did an amazing job of convincing poor whites that they were better off than poor blacks. Like, an amazing job. Living in the South, it's really unreal to see people of the same socioeconomic status do the same poo poo, yet call blacks some racial epithet for doing it. I mean, in the media you kind of expect it because the media is really sensational; but what's sensational in the media for most of the country is Tuesday for us here in the South. It happens all the loving time and arguing against it is an exercise in futility.

Pro-tip: When they say, "I mean, I'm just talking back about the good ol' days of the South..." If you respond with, "What, back when cops beat up black people for no reason?" or "Back when there was human enslavement and abuse?" They get real pissed off. Doubly so when you try to argue that Mayberry was a work of fiction. :v:

E: They really can't grasp that the heritage thing is about like flying a Nazi flag and arguing that it's about industrialization and efficiency or something.

E2: What's the easiest way to get pictures from my phone onto here? I see some poo poo at work that I'd like to share here and in the horrible mechanical failures thread and I'd rather go directly from phone to post instead of downloading pictures to my laptop then uploading then posting.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 19, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Cakefool posted:

If I moved to the US it'd be a hard choice between a Comanche and a Crown Vic for the first car I bought.

I had a 91 CV as my first car and it was awesome. My grandmother had an 03 that my parents now have and I'd love to rescue it from them. I really love em and wish they hadn't discontinued them.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hope this works...

My old CV. I sold it for my Ranger years ago. I'd like another one, but I'll probably never find one in not beat to poo poo condition.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I don't usually have a lot of AI stuff to contribute, so have some Mercedes I found:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Inspection and tag renewal today, then an oil change in my truck and hopefully the wife's Kia.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Jesus gently caress now there's poo poo going around on my feed about how since SCOTUS allowed gay marriage we should also be allowed to conceal carry guns everywhere we want. :psyduck:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SFH1989 posted:

As someone who thinks I should be able conceal carry everywhere I go this is some dumb loving logic. It's not going to make people agree with us, it just sounds stupid.

Combine it with being in the South and the flag bullshit and now it's all "omg states have no rights now! Muh states rights and muh guns!" I'm not drunk and haven't had my coffee to deal with this bullshit.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I am allergic to cats.

My wife has finally broken me down with cute kitten pictures and the fact that her coworker can't keep them any more and the shelter will kill them please save the cuteness.

It is one goddamned cute catte though. :3:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
We'll see how it goes. She's been wanting one for years and said this one would be an outdoor cat once it got big enough. I don't know how I feel about that.

Been doing some reading. My allergies aren't too extreme and many people are saying that they went away after a while. Right now I'm popping Claritin and going to see how it goes.

E: I couldn't say no and let this guy go to a kill shelter.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 27, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'll talk to a doctor at some point. For 7 years now I've said no, absolutely not. I'm not sure why I said yes this time. He is one cute ball of fur though...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I was told that once it enters the yard, they won't let you have anything with the VIN on it. Is that not the case?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Wife got a raise, I'm not suffering from allergies, and we are talking with banks to get a mortgage and buy a house.

The house is a family member's. It has a paved driveway. Such luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

kastein posted:

I don't have a garage. Hell I don't even have a paved driveway or a paved road. Whatever that nasty rear end lovely asscheek-sticking-together weather is outside? Yeah that's what I'm wrenching in.

gently caress heat. I can dress for cold. At a certain point if I try to take more off to deal with heat, I either get indecent exposure citations or die of shock/blood loss.

After two years of working in a gravel driveway, I think I would rather work in mud than gravel. At least it's soft.

• Locked thread