Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MinibarMatchman posted:

i'd love this. make it all even stupider and it's Day 1 for me. I love shooting a dude in the foot only to have the whole leg fly off like 40 feet behind him. I love having a whole town of retards come after me when I steal a fork from a diner.

make so that stealing anything, or opening any owned container, immediately makes all guards in all towns in the entire game aggro you, and they will just start running for miles to tell you PUT THAT BACK THIEF

at any point in the game, no matter what you were doing, a huddle of guards from across the map will bust into the scene to tell you PUT THAT BACK THIEF.

it'd be baller if this could even interrupt scripted events or cutscenes or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the "purists" have forgotten exactly what the base of the game is like. New Vegas is sort of the "true sequel" to Fallout 2, but its sheer amount of choice and the bare-bones backstory of the Courier is an outlier in the Fallout series.

i feel like a lot of people are forgetting that the company that made FO3 and is working on FO4 is not the same people who made FO1 & FO2. F04 is going to be more like Skyrim and every other generic AAA game released for a modern system because that is what the company that is making FO4 does. getting mad or surprised or upset or anything other than just accepting whatever news comes down the pipe is a futile exercise in impotent rage. if you loved FO1 & FO2 then you got New Vegas as your eventual follow-up. there might not ever be another FO game made by (some) of the people who worked on the first two ever again, but even if there was it's not going to be F04. likewise, the people working on F04 might take very tertiary learnings from what NV did well, but don't expect F04 to continue in the direction that NV went because the company that is making F04 has a fundamentally different philosophy for what kind of game they want to make

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Spikeguy posted:

I plan to shoot anyone who asks me to kill an innocent. I bet you didn't expect that when you called me over to talk.

And they did promise a mechanic in Mass Effect where the game would register if you interrupted people or just straight up left a conversation as rudeness. They stated later that they couldn't get it fun so decided to ditch it in one and went with the "right hook, left hook" options of 2 and 3.

the best part is that in the previous games your conversations with NPCs took place in some kind of sound and time vacuum of extra-dimensional space, so you have situations where the bad guy in the megaton bar asks you to nuke the place and no one else is concerned at all, and if you cap him in the bar everyone else gets mad at you

guys, i just put a 9mm between the eyes of a guy who was soliciting strangers to nuke your entire town. i find your hostility misplaced and overall judgement capabilities to be extremely lacking

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 23, 2015

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

frajaq posted:

Who are you to dispense justice when the town has a sheriff for it :colbert:

uh i'm a lone wanderer with a mysterious past who hails from parts unknown. clearly my every move is destined to become legend, and you should be so fortunate as to watch me write my grand narrative across the canvas of your town

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Azhais posted:

You misspelled "H Jon Benjamin"

got drat do i want this voice to be my dadroid now. kind of the bob's burgers subtle defeatism but every once in a while more like archer's WOO HOO when something awesome happens

edit: oh snap how awesome would it be if they embraced the VO main character thing in a 4th wall kind of way, and when it's inevitably revealed that you are an android, there's voice tapes you can buy or find to equip and it changes the dadroid voice. so you could get a zoidberg or a adam west batman or even a lady who only speaks spanish. that's why the VO stuff took 4 years!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

hemophilia posted:

then it begs you to shoot Vulpes and his guards who you may or may not be capable of killing depending on the difficulty and how long you waited to go to Nipton.

even if you are following the most direct main plot path to nipton, if you bothered to get ed-e and have kept even a few drugs on hand, i can't imagine ever actually losing that fight. i took away that vulpes is a metaphor for how cesar and his legion operate - they're all about intimidation and they're great at brutalizing people who can't/won't defend themselves, but all it takes is someone willing to push back (you/the NCR in the past) and they're immediately broken

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

King Vidiot posted:

But you wouldn't have the required Science and/or Repair skills by then, and the materials aren't that common on the road to Primm. You'd have to go way out of your way, like east to Repconn, to get the parts you need.

Knowing in-advance that you're going to repair ED-E is different from a first playthrough where you won't have that stuff on hand. Me, I never bothered with ED-E until a bit later in the game, then I'd come back and get him. It wasn't until my TTW playthrough where I already had the required skills that I got him on my first arrival at Primm.

the materials aren't that impossible to find on a direct path from good springs > primm > ncr outpost > nipton. everything you need to repair him is just junk items that can randomly generate in containers, and IIRC the rarest item in his repair list is the 2x sensor modules. scrap metal/electronics isn't something you'd be hurting for unless you just never picked any up, in which case you can just go back to a few trash cans and grab some. i know for a fact one of the trailers in good springs has one sensor module every time on a fresh start, and between all the merchants and all the containers on a direct path, you'd have to be either very unlucky or intentionally avoiding buying one to not have two by the time you hit primm, let alone nipton.

i think if anything the reason someone might not slay vulpes outright is that they're hoarding drugs / explosives that they could really just use with no downside. i know standard RPG logic is that you have to hoard your best items for the last boss, but that's not really how NV plays out. hell, i am fairly certain there's a guaranteed container of turbo in the bison steve, and popping that right before the fight makes it almost impossible to lose

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

QuantaStarFire posted:

I dunno. I think NV has shades of that as well, but mostly at the beginning because they really want you to head south and see all the poo poo down there before you turn back north for the other half. If you try to head north to Vegas from the start, you're blocked by Deathclaws in one area, Giant Radscorpions in another, Super Mutants near the mountain, and Cazadors if you try the alt path out of Goodsprings. If you decide to try and cut across to the east after Primm, there's a Deathclaw in a narrow passage to dissuade you.

That said, it's not impossible to get around any of those things and get to Vegas early, but chances are you'll be clenching your sphincter trying to pass them, or you'll need to exploit terrain and/or spend a bunch of resources to get past them.

I think the difference is that in NV the stuff is intentionally placed to tell players "don't go this way you're too weak" without actually stepping out of the rules of the game and just putting invisible walls or some other kind of BS barrier. it lets players who really want to break the flow do so, but it also creates a more natural barrier to sequence breaking for people who decide "i'm not loving with this poo poo, time to go the way i keep getting told to go". there's also a ton of in-game justification from NPCs who tell you all about why the 95 north is blocked and how it's a big pain in the rear end for all the humans involved, and then there's even quests relating to those blockades (the deathclaws in the quarry, for example) that challenge players to eventually overcome them. it feels much more natural than having some kind of leveled monster list attached to a random encounter generator and having 1 of 4 possible monsters (mega deathclaw / horny yaoguai / super mutant i'm the boss applesauce / a fuckload of enclave dudes) randomly spawn 20 feet ahead of you every X feet traveled. it's actually one of my biggest complaints about the NV DLC that honest hearts and old world blues use randomly generated leveled monster lists because holy gently caress do the monsters scale extremely poorly w/r/t player level. at or near max level, monsters just soak up bullets to the point that combat ceases being fun

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i still don't understand why a robotdad would need powered armor. the main idea is that human flesh is puny and a suit of steel is better protection, but wouldn't robotdad already be made out of sturdier stuff than human flesh? it's like building a bigger tank that is big enough to contain an m1 abrams or something. why not embrace the robotdad motif and have you be able to directly integrate different weapon / armor systems directly into your robotdad body? that'd be way cooler imo

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Minorkos posted:

As far as I know, the androids in Bethesda's Fallout universe are pretty much identical to humans in every way. The android you find in Fallout 3 doesn't believe that he's an android since he's so much like a person. He says something along the lines of "I cut myself shaving this morning" so they're pretty humanlike

The concept of an android that's identical to a human is kind of difficult to believe but then again so are a lot of things in Fallout

no problem just use terminator logic that the outer layer of tissue can bleed or sweat or whatever to better mimic humans, but the inside is still cold, unfeeling steel

basically i want to be t-800 dad

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Azhais posted:

All video game characters should be asexual

this guy gets it.

it isn't like there aren't enormous online communities dedicated to exploring what it would be like if princess peach grew a dick and cornholed a goomba or whatever, if you absolutely need to know that kind of thing about a video game character.

personally i blame custer's revenge for starting video games down the path towards horribly erotic in-game content

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i demand the ability to explicitly define whether my robodad is circumcised or not and i expect this choice to have valid, plot related consequences. anything less is bethesda playing at some kind of elaborate penis-normative propaganda in their make believe game about mutants and robots and gaping metal holes in the ground

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Melee combat was total crap in FO3 and only slightly better in NV. For FO4 it depends on whether they have enemies react to getting hit at all.

seriously, melee combat was so unsatisfying because every fight was like punching a brick wall that would punch you back until you magically reduced it to 10% health and then the brick wall would either cower and whimper or just take off running in a random direction. like maybe if you used a power attack and knocked a guy down he'd be out of the fight for several seconds but if he had gobs of hp he'd eventually get back up and you'd keep punching that brick wall.

if they really want to make melee combat a really valid option they'd have to make 3rd person the default perspective and maybe remove first person view entirely (except in like scouting mode or whatever). my dream would be a fallout with a melee combat system like dark souls, but that didn't do ranged weapons very well. maybe something like saints row 4, i feel like that did melee + guns pretty decently.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah, but then Ron throws a ton of loving shade at you in the 'ending' narration for not being willing to 'sacrifice' yourself.

fine you big babies, you want to use the game's own internal logic to thwart our attempt at a compellingly linear narrative? we'll rewrite the ending so that everyone in the wasteland calls you a pussy for not dying pointlessly and even your robo-butler will disown you and women NPCs in the game will endlessly remark about how small your penis is.

also give us $10 for the privilege of this experience

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Psychotic Weasel posted:

New leaked screenshots of actual in game footage from the game:

drat, look at those sweet next gen graphics. Thank god this game is going to be super story rich.

like even for a troll pic, that pic had to be taken with the game running in the lowest detail possible mode. i feel like it's so lovely that it gives the joke away

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

computer parts posted:

No, that's just how New Vegas looks.

i guess i've been playing it with too many mods on my PC because i don't recall the game ever looking like that. maybe like a ps3 screen shot, but then there'd be no way to mod that in :shrug:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Remember that quest to get the Deceleration of Independence in the National Archives? Expect more of that.

i'm really excited that you wrote deceleration of independence and not what you meant to say, because now i'm imagining some kind of metaphysical concept that slowly erodes individual agency in those who possess it, and considering how cool it would be if a concept like that was in fallout 4

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Nevets posted:

I think for a proper comparison, you'd need to go back to the Chicxulubian-Meteor war of 66,000,000 BC. We lost that one too.

dinosaur parachute account spotted

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

New Leaf posted:

I can't wait to see if removing one item from a table makes all of them start to float around, or if walking over a ribcage makes it spaz out so much it eventually flings itself into orbit.

and potentially renders the ribcage into a lethal projectile that will instagib you if it rockets up through your player model

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

New Leaf posted:

Oh god, my favorite is the pre-sprung swinging I-beam trap in one of the vaults of New Vegas (think it's the one where they were all killing each other and set up sandbag fortifications all over the place), then having your companion run through ahead of you chasing down giant insects as it swings back and takes your head off.

i had a similar experience in FO3 where the first supermarket you raid has empty carts lying everywhere. one raider saw me and started to charge towards me but ran into a cart that was between us, which caused the cart to rocket at me at subsonic speed, slaying me upon impact. i was confused as gently caress because it was like an hour into the game and i wasn't sure if the cart had killed me or what had happened.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Moridin920 posted:

Didn't that only happen with mods though? Which is why it was happening on PS3 because you could get some mods to work with it?

Although now that I think about it yeah there was an issue with item references duplicating or something.

i originally played FO3, NV, and Skyrim on a PS3 when they were all released, and I can confirm that all three had the same issue where a large enough save file would eventually become unplayable. as far as i am aware, there was (and still is) no way to get mods working on any of those games on PS3 (maybe if you hack your console? i'm talking intended console usage here).

even better was that if you tried to start a new game and just saved over the old bloated save file, you new game would inherit the same problems and turn into an unplayable mess much sooner. the solution was to never save over an existing save file, meaning you always made a fresh save for every character every time you wanted to play. this wouldn't prevent the memory error from occurring, but it would give the game a longer lifespan before it went totally bonkers

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

J-Spot posted:

For the Fallout games I didn't really have much of a problem on PS3 until DLC started getting added to the mix. I had a New Vegas save with over 100 hours that had no problems until Honest Hearts came out. I had to revert to an older save to run through the later DLC, and new games poo poo the bed much earlier with all DLC installed. I'm gald they never introduced a "get to level 50" trophy since I doubt it would have been possible.

it was possible, and it was painful. i had one playthru that was from 1 to 50 with all DLC complete and I had to specifically choose which quests i wanted to do in which order, because just playing the game as a new person who was going to randomly discover everything would crash you hard way before you got close to finished. iirc i played the character to level 5/6 and then went into Dead Money and just ran thru all the DLC in a straight row after that. i hit level 50 right before the end of Lonesome Road, but it wasn't even that exciting because the high level perks that they added were mostly jokes, so you'd get all the good perks you wanted capped out in the 20s and then have another 30 levels of meh to choose from.

this is on top of the hilarious glitches each of the DLCs had. in Dead Money you could trap yourself in the theater with Dean Domino if you answered his questions wrong and didn't have the skill to pick the locks / hack the computers. in Honest Hearts you could fail the entire DLC almost immediately after the intro sequence ambush if you were too trigger happy and shot things that moved before they could speak to you, because a plot critical NPC does just that about 5 minutes into the DLC. Old World Blues has the looping conversation with your brain that never ends and forces a re-start, and the teleporter gun that warps from the Sink to the Mojave is finnicky as hell and could just crash the game randomly on its own.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

they should have made it so that you can always try to manually pick any lock or hack any computer but the skill thresholds or talent ranks just give you auto success. example: if you have 48% lockpicking you can just automatically open things that are locked that are Very Easy or Easy, but you have to do the minigame for anything above that. get 2 more points in lock picking and you can now auto open Average or below! also the locks or computers scale the difficulty of opening relative to the delta between the required skill level and your current skill level, so someone with 12% lock picking has a hell of a time even trying to set the pins for a Very Hard lock or whatever

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ImpAtom posted:

That effectively makes lockpicking worthless because rather than being an investment it becomes a punishment for being unable to do a minigame. Unless the minigame is absurdly difficult or impossibly designed it just means nobody will ever take the skill.

1. there are a lot of people who, like me, are lazy, and would put points in the skill just for the convenience of being to open poo poo no questions asked
2. in a game (FO3 / NV) where it is trivially easy to max out every single skill within 30/50 levels, there's almost no chance that you wouldn't end up maxing lock pick and science at some point. unless you were doing some kind of self imposed challenge run where you purposely didn't use those skills

i heard a similar argument from sawyer on these very boards when NV was new-ish when someone asked why you couldn't use explosives to open locked doors / boxes or just muscle them open with a high STR and a solid weapon; his response was something like well if you could do that NO ONE WOULD EVER TAKE LOCK PICKING! hmmmm yes there's literally no way that a game designer could otherwise enforce negative consequences to blowing open / forcing open containers. no way at all. it isn't like you could make explosions extremely loud and alert all hostiles in the area to come figure out what the gently caress, and it isn't like explosives wouldn't damage a ton of whatever was inside the box you were trying to open. there's no way that you could make the lock picking approach completely silent or allow it to otherwise bypass alarms. nope, being able to force locks with bombs or a sword is just too unbalanced to ever be considered. it definitely makes much more sense that the flimsiest wooden door in the world should be able to withstand direct hits from a rocket launcher

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Alain Post posted:

It still marginalizes the skill. The only thing that lockpicking does is allow you to pick locks. That's it. It's not even like Science, which synergizes well with Energy Weapons, has a significant amount of dialogue checks in the game, and even allows you to open certain locked doors (Lockpick has like, one speech check in Dead Money, and maybe a few specific perks that are garbage). It's not like Repair, which has one of the best associated perks in the game, and helps out combat by letting you make powerful ammo. It is a skill that really does one thing, and the fact that it really has no use other than that one thing already makes it one of the worst skills in the game. Like, even if explosives had the effect of breaking stuff in crates- giving it a "Lockpick but 50% as good" effect still makes it a better pick than Lockpick considering all the other good effects Explosives and associated perks have.
this is just bad/lazy game design. the only reason there's next to no skill checks or skill synergies or related talents is because the designers chose not to incorporate those things. there is nothing inherent about naming a skill Lock Picking that suddenly causes any game that includes it to say WELP ALL THIS SKILL CAN DO IS PICK LOCK FURTHERMORE ANY OTHER ATTEMPT AT MAKING THIS SKILL USEFUL IS MAGICALLY NULL AND VOID. think of it this way, in most games that feature Lock Picking, there's also a key or key card or switch or some other way of opening (most) locked objects - all Lock Picking is really doing is allowing you the player to save some time and/or effort in not having to track down a key first. on the flip side, there's also usually containers that magically break the internal logic of the game and are INACCESSABLE no matter how much Lock Picking skill you have invested, either for plot contrivances or other reasons. now, you're telling me i just put a bunch of points into a skill with a very narrow range of use, and then it can't even do the intended function at the developer's whim? what an amazing way to structure the mechanics of your game!

Alain Post posted:

Lockpick should have just been combined with Sneak and called "Stealth" or something. Or even combine it with Repair and rationalize it as being really good with tools, though Repair already is kind of super good.
ding ding ding this is a much better idea. if you have a skill that you, as a designer, have interpreted so narrowly that it's either mandatory or nigh useless, you have done a bad job designing said skill. rolling the function of that skill into another broader skill makes much more sense than keeping some vestigial legacy mechanic because a previous game almost 20 years prior used that mechanic. see combining big guns and small guns into the same skill, etc.

personally i think they should have streamlined it further and done more cleanup, like make energy weapons either part of guns or part of science, and stick lock picking in with sneak, and make unarmed and melee the same general skill and then use the weapons or the associated perks to let you specialize, etc.

edit: the melee and unarmed split was also an egregiously bad design decision, because in practice you had to max out both skills anyway if you wanted to make a character who was viable in melee combat. oh, you want to be able to consistently knock foes down, and also be able to bypass some enemy DR, and maybe get some general bonus damage too? lol good luck buddy you have to skill up two separate skills because half of the melee combat perks are arbitrarily gated behind the opposite melee combat skill! oh also did you fantasize about being a big strong man/woman and punching or stabbing monsters to death? lol you better not tank your agility score because the designers also decided to gate some of the best melee combat perks behind an attribute that doesn't really benefit a melee character, now that the game is no longer turned based!

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 19, 2015

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Inacio posted:

Bethesda is so beautifully lazy.

i guess that kind of makes sense in-engine, because now i can't recall either FO3 or NV having any kind of movable object that does horizontal or vertical movement. any time you "use" an elevator it just teleports you to a different cell, and other than certain doors being able to swing open, there's not another situation where you even see a movable object.

wait, in NV, there's a quest in Camp McCarran where you have to do something with the monorail that runs between the based and New Vegas. do you ever get to ride it or does "using" it just teleport you to the opposite cell in New Vegas? i only ever tried the quest once and it got hilariously bugged so that as soon as i finished talking to the quest giver the bomb always went off immediately, so i never really got to interact with it

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's interesting because the Ayleid Ruins in Oblivion are full of traps that rely on large areas rapidly ascending/descending into spike pits, and I thought some of the areas in the planes of Oblivion had elevators or columns that ascended/descended.

the only thing i can figure is that in all of those ruin traps, the actual geometry is just expanding / contacting, but the overall effect is that a square peg just gets a lot longer briefly. this is probably a lot less technically intensive than have to create a separate object that behaves believably within the context of the game relative to gravity and x/y/z motion and etc. i mean hell, horses in skyrim at launch were all terrain vehicles that could climb 90 degree inclines, so i can imagine trying to create anything more complicated than that would be too difficult for t-hod and crew

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the funny thing is that image kind of implies they'll use both systems. it looks like pieces that count as armor are modular, but your regular clothes are just one single outfit. kind of a bummer that you might not be able to customize your appearance as much outside of your armor suit

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bubonic Plagiarist posted:

With the return to a more Morrowindy armor layering style, I hope Bethesda also brings back levitation ("atomic levitation") and spellcrafting ("radiationcrafting").

if i am remembering right, wasn't the removal of levitation from oblivion and skyrim due to memory limitations on the PS3 / 360, because they wanted to keep cities as their own interior cells and if you included levitation then you also have to allow the game to display for a player an entire city if they decide to fly up over it? in that sense, the next elder scrolls game might won't have levitation included, because the memory issues are less of a problem on the ps4/xbone

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

cargohills posted:

Bethesda said it was because levitation limited their design, allowing players to bypass any sort of vertical traversal challenge by just floating to the top of a cave or a tower.

ah bloo bloo bloo encounter design is hard what if players use tools we gave them to overcome a challenge we should make sure we only give them a hammer so that they have to sequentially hit every nail instead of being able to engage the game on their own terms

b-b-b-but how will they be forced to enjoy our heavily scripted set piece scenes if they can just avoid them at will

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Rutibex posted:

My sentiments exactly. Oh players can fly at high levels? Well then maybe you should design some dungeon to take that into account! Instead of removing it they should have doubled down on it. Wizards flying around in the sky, guards with bows/flight magic, vertical mazes or whatnot that can't be done without levitation, etc.

no poo poo right? how much cooler would dragon battles have been if high level battles involved you flying around and stabbing / shooting them in the loving sky! alduin the destroyer of time is felled by a mortal who in entirely imprisoned by gravity. HOW EPIC INSTEAD OF LETTING PLAYERS FLY WE CAN JUST GIVE THEM A POWER TO MAKE FLYING THINGS LAND :downs:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bholder posted:

If it would be like the Levitation was in Morrowind, it would be awful.

that is true, but i like to believe they could have come up with a better implementation of in-game flight than their previous attempt that came out like 12 years prior if they really wanted to

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bholder posted:

New Vegas better than 2? That's rich.

it's not a high bar to clear, but the interface for FO2 and the underlying game mechanics for FO2 are worse. the story might be subjectively better for FO2, but the actual game part of the "role playing game" isn't very much fun to interact with. any system where the amount of actions you can take is directly tied to an attribute or skill that the player can manipulate (or gimp) is poor design in TYOOL 2015. having an inventory that is difficult to navigate in a game that puts the player in a position to accumulate lots of gear is also poor design.

now if somehow beth were to contract an HD update for FO2 from Obsidian and they used something like the engine from Pillars of Eternity, well :getin:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sylink posted:

I kind of want to switch the audio so the PC speaks some random language I can't understand, like Polish or whatever and leave the rest of the game in english.

set it to russian and you can pretend you're playing Fallout: Stalker Edition

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing's happening! :stonk: Yet more win from the geniuses at Bethesda. :allears:

i seriously wonder how much of the disappointment some people are feeling is due to the fact that they're moving out of the target age-range that the game is being developed for, and the frustration that comes with realizing that something you loved as a kid is no longer meant for you to enjoy.

most of the poo poo they're revealing sounds awful to me too, but now i'm a dad with a wife and a mortgage. i'm no longer in their target demo of pre/teenaged boys ages 13 - 19

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

This makes no sense because they could just write something good for the game targeted at whatever demographic, instead of bad.

that's my point. the quality of what they're doing is static and unchanging. it's just your perceptions that are changing because you are no longer amused by / interested in the same things that you were when you were younger. on a nostalgic level, for example, i can enjoy the original live action TMNT movies because i saw them in the theater when i was a kid. i can't / don't enjoy the newest michael bay interpretation, because i've moved past being entertained by the kind of stuff that i would have enjoyed as a kid. it's not that the children's movie from 1990 is better than the children's movie from 2014, it's that kid things aren't entertaining to me personally any more

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

How else would you steal the Van Graffs' entire inventory without having to murder them at level 8?

real talk you just open the door near the back of the shop and Q+carry (or whatever key you have bound) every item around the wall where no one can see you. 100% HIDDEN if no one is looking at you. you can do this at any level, and you can bring along a locksmith's reader or whatever if you need help picking the lock

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bholder posted:

Becoming a citizen meant absolutely nothing other than they letting you inside their Vault (and I think you can get inside in a different way)

look at how wrong you are. there were tons of things to do both in the vault and as a citizen. iirc you got a unique motion sensing attachment for the pipboy that was only available if you did enough quests for the vault security team.

also you could jerk off into a cup and get paid to do so

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Man Whore posted:

While I think its cool that you can sneak north to new vegas, it does seem kinda high risk for little benefit.

EDIT actually not even little benefit, it seems high risk and harmful.

if you really want to min/max your dude the idea is you sent your INT to 9 and then hoof it to New Vegas Medical Clinic at level 1 and grab 4000 caps from somewhere in NV (likely stealing from Silver Rush) and then buy the +1 INT upgrade, so that you have 10 INT starting for level 2 and maximize the total number of skill points you can get over 50 levels.

you know, in the game where even with no DLC there are enough permanent skill books lying around to max out any/every skill anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

bonerlord bonghitler 420

• Locked thread