Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

This is inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The farther I take DRK the more slow and clunky PLD feels. gently caress, I completed Excalibur Zeta last weekend just to finish up since the process was nerfed so much but I just don't know how much I will continue to PLD once I get the last five levels of DRK. I have been hesitant to spend Esos on any tank upgrades at this point since I now feel like there is a potential wrong choice to be made.

I dug the Paladin aesthetic and the flow of the combat skills fits me better than Warrior ever did but they just feel like a beta test for the release of DRK.

DRK is a good class even if they lack the usual l45/50 quest drops and the like. They do have primal weapons and poetics gear though so they didn't completely get overlooked in pre-HW content though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

I haven't tried out DRK, but I feel that I have more fun with PLD compared to WAR. The animations feel smoother, and having to worry less about keeping your two different debuffs (or three I guess with Fracture) up mean that you can learn to focus on the mechanics of the fight more clearly. Feeling like you can survive for days is also great. WAR is also good fun (and has a better storyline), but it doesn't feel as fluid as I would like for a tank class.

I do feel like they haven't quite worked out what to do with Paladin MP though. It's almost never an issue, which makes it kind of a waste. At least let me use it to power up my attacks in Sword Oath or something.

I would be curious how you feel DRK plays when you try it and get a few levels in. I felt very similarly to you when the tank split was PLD vs WAR.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Runefaust posted:

Alright! I've put in maybe 10 hours worth of gameplay total since I picked this up for PS4, and I thought I'd have a lot rougher of a time with using a controller. I was telling myself "I could never play FFXIV on a controller" after playing it on PC.

Let me tell you, I loving love using the dual shock controller. It feels beautiful. My only gripe is setting up the different options and configuring the UI to the way I like it took a while, but otherwise the controls for PS4 are phenomenal.

That reminds me, I need to see what the current state of DS4 drivers is on PC. Last time I tried (admittedly a long time ago) it felt like I was getting input delays I don't have with the wired 360 controller. Was using USB so it wasn't a Bluetooth issue.

Would love to be able to stop having the odd 360 dpad misfire.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

According to DS4Windows I'm always staying under 10ms latency via USB. I've certainly never had any trouble using it for anything, at least.

Yeah, went ahead today and updated the app (apparently a year and a half since I last tried) and it works great. Just had to switch the game to DS4 settings and not 360. Good stuff.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Griz posted:

dark matter 6 is available for some trivial amount of gil from the npcs in town who sell all the other dark matters

They are like 120 gil each. The standard FC merchant sells them along with the dyes and other stuff.

If you have the seals to buy dark matters or peppers just stockpile enough Ventures to last until 4.0.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

if you have cul desynth high enough you can buy 6 urushi for 3600 seals and turn that into a better crowned pie in mor dhona. These will desynth into a water cluster every time and randomly a tiny crown, an electrum ring, an FC2 Demi or an FC3 demimateria. Or you can flip coke on the mb.

True. The coke/potash market looked to crumble when they added the bulk ordering feature but I don't keep a close eye on it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Of course the only good looking one, Record Keeper, stays on mobile :v:

Probably for the best given how much a freemium P2W grind that game becomes.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pews posted:

One new primal fight that was good, QOL improvements, then a bunch of poo poo that was good for a week if you even cared about it at all.

Oh and vanu beast tribe dailies.

Good dungeons for sure and Void Ark has some fun fights IMO (especially as healer).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Velthice posted:

this thread got really loving stupid and unfunny. post pictures of your highlanders and roes. no fleabags and leprosy people allowed

Hornfroe

Bird Roe (also I love the localization team for this reference)

Serious Dark Knight Roe

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Meldonox posted:

I'm starting to feel the itch to resub, or at the very least make use of the four free days to knock out any events that're active once Starlight Festival starts, presumably in a week.

In the meantime, I was curious about what I've been missing. I heard the new dungeons and Vanu quests are good, but I haven't heard a lot of anything about Void Ark and Diadem. What gives? Are they crap? Or better yet, are they fun and good in a way that makes the peanut gallery mad?

Void Ark owns. If you like difficult content it also sounds like the new bard mode is very good.

Diadem is, uh, there? You can get a Pegasus mount and potentially really nice i210 gear. It may appeal to you if you are the kind of person who can run repeated boss FATEs for an extended period without going insane. Goon interest fell real fast though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Granbar posted:

Thanks for sorting me out! Now I'm ready for anything!!!

You fit the DGKK spirit well with that set.

When you hit trials and story quests feel free to see if anyone in FC chat is available to come along with you. Trial-wise pubby groups these days are just going to blitz through them super fast without explaining fights so those are easy to just solo queue if you want. The two mandatory dungeons are both fun though so you can probably get a group together without much trouble (especially since they give xp at 50 now).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Unless you forgot to do the quest after you get your Zeta in which case you're not flagged as able to purchase a replica. See this OF thread.

Like me! :downs:

They'll patch in a fix at some point, no big deal.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Don't just quest to the exclusion of everything else. Unlock and run the level 50 dungeons to break things up. Do the original relic chain up to Zenith level and see the trials. Hop into groups running Crystal Tower/Coil/EX primals.

Grinding nothing but a year and a half of patched in story quests is a lot to plow through. Check the other content they added as they went along!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

I just got this from the humble bundle cause I always wanted to try it. Is it painful to level?

Nope. Roll on Excalibur, join one of the goon FCs, bullshit with us in chat as you go and ask for company and help as you get to the point where you run group content. FFXIV goons are pretty drat helpful.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Despite all the doom and gloom in this thread, I still strongly recommend giving FFXIV a chance if you have never played an MMO or are otherwise sick of WoW. It's in a rough patch of late but I would still vouch for it over any MMO on the market right now if only for the unusual amount of effort put into its presentation and writing.

Also if you are just starting up you are at least three months away from starting to be affected by said rough patch, if not longer. So yeah, give it a go.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sunshine Bandit posted:

I haven't really played an MMO since poopsocking in Everquest 1. Is it possible to casually play and enjoy this game (2 little kids, limited time) or should I just save my $30?

It can be super casual. You can also get it right now for under six bucks with a free month in the current Humble Bundle. Go for it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

Looks like the next content patch is bringing us the best update yet.

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/

Hell yes, Gamera turtle.

I have wanted this since they announced flying mounts. Awesome.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

temple posted:

Yes. I'm surprised by the patience FFXIV players have. I've gotten better as I play and it made me very patience in return when I see and understand why other players make mistakes. As opposed to WoW where there is a simmering hate for everyone and everything waiting to erupt.

FFXIV in general just has a design slant towards non-competition and rewards helping folks who need it. It is hard to get too nerdragey about a MMO with a healthy respect and embrace of the silly and absurd (fat chocobo, Hildibrand, goofy gear glamour, etc).

I also think the armory system is a hidden key to the community as well. You don't have the semi-anonymity created by folks having multiple alts for playing as different classes so good behavior is a bit more incentivised.

And yeah, goons in general have a healthy appreciation for the glory of Roes. I put a year in the elf mines before I saw the light and haven't looked back.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

PSN has a bunch of free FF14 PS4 avatars right now, for those who need to rep Hildy.

Sold!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Where's a good place to fight NPCs in Triple Triad, when all you have is the starter deck? The Golden Saucer ones kick my arse all over the place.

Go to FFXIVtriad.com and start with the lowest MGP cost NPCS, work from there. The milestone is 30 cards to unlock 4 2-star cards per hand. If you have MGP to spare the cheap card packs help too.

Also, thanks to his cards and ruleset you can actually win fairly consistently against King Elmer with the literal starter deck. Play heavy into the corners, look for combo triggers, and you can farm him for Godbert and Bahamut cards for early firepower.

Edit: Cheesing Elmer aside, Jonas is probably the only Saucer NPC worth trying to farm right off the bat. The others have decks or rules that are not overly friendly to starter decks.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 7, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Visor has tons of little applications, like swiveling the monocle on the SCH Eso top hat or even hiding the Rudolf nose on the holiday reindeer antler set. More common than you might think.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No, and thank loving god for it. That's one of the worst aspects of modern game design. "Well, let's assume the player is an idiot and can't read or navigate."

Yeah, you just have to find the red quest area circles on the map and navigate there yourself.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

Yeah, I'm flying through quests getting Dragoon to 50 or 60 or whatever, and I was wondering how leveling will work out with follow up classes/jobs.

Just slapping mobs around without something like a quest giving me the illusion of a point to it will bore me to death in about five minutes because I am an idiot baby.

Challenge log, FATEs, roulettes, hunts, etc

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

what's the popular voice client for when doing goon raids/parties?

Mumble. Connection info is on ffgoons.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Is your weapon up to date? It's by far the most important piece of gear, even on healers.

This and Cleric Stance are the biggest potential causes. Also make sure your gear isn't broken.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It is well worth rerolling on or transferring to Excalibur if you just started. FF goons are awesome goons and super helpful.

Also please don't feel bad asking for help or folks to run content with. Worst case you just solo queue for a dungeon anyway but you can often get folks to come along especially if you make it known it is a newbie run. Older content is incentivised for people to run with new players and the class switch mechanic means that far more players than you might expect have classes that need leveling at the same level range you do.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Drizvolta posted:

When you made your character it asked you to save appearance data, so you could load that data and just remake him name and all :v:

This is true. Paid transfers do seem get around the server creation caps, so it boils down to your personal time vs money calculus.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
100% armory bonus is kind of absurd with alt classes pre-50 and HW dungeon XP is fantastic when you get there (plus lots of FATE parties, Vanu dailies, hunts, 50DR, etc). I still prefer the LDR a day method but if you want to poopsock then it is pretty drat fast now.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Also, is mind useful at all for me as a thaumaturge? I've gotten a few quest rewards with mind and vitality but the character screen implies that mind is only a healing stat so it seems like a waste of quest reward.

While your question was already answered, I will note that prior to 40 or so the armor breakdown is fairly limited; there is a tank set, a physical DPS set, and a generic caster set (so it has both mind for healers and intelligence for DPS casters). There are a few exceptions mainly centered on Lancers that aren't worth covering.

Beyond that point they refine it appreciably into seven set archetypes.

Fending is tank/vitality gear.
Maiming is Dragoon strength gear
Striking is Monk strength gear (much lighter armor than Maiming)
Scouting is Ninja dexterity gear
Aiming is Bard/Machinist dexterity gear
Healing is Astrologian/Scholar/White Mage mind gear
Casting is Black Mage/Summoner intelligence gear.

Accessories basically are more class independent so you just pick the main stat you want. In most cases that matches the armor main stat but tanks often mix strength jewelry into their sets for more damage and healers mix in vitality jewelry in PvP.

Weapons are of course class specific. The only real thing to note there is the weapon damage value is essentially the single biggest multiplier to your skill or spell potency. If two casters have identical intelligence and substats but the first has twenty more damage on their weapon they are going to do much more damage per cast. I mention this because it is not immediately apparent for mages why you would care about a staff or book with higher weapon damage; you aren't generally hitting things with it after all. Every tank has a horror story of that group with a white mage with their level 5 quest wand because lol I don't need weapon damage I am a healer.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

DRG is the class most likely to get you killed playing it correctly. This combined with it being enticing to small children makes it lol drg. Thankfully Ninja came out and though they might not get themselves killed as much they're usually played far worse.

Dragoon also used to have an effective penalty to defense against magic, so they also were very fragile in some circumstances.

Even Square got on the loldrg train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg44MVJLrw

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I excitedly await more dungeon stories. I can't see myself ever switching over to healer. Not that I'm not a team player, but that seems like the #1 job to gently caress up.

You would be surprised. If healers are going to fail it is generally because they are trying to do too much (DPS and healing together) and having problems accordingly. It is hard to gently caress up healing if you are purely focusing on healing, and as you build confidence then you start expanding from there.

Keep in mind you have 15 levels in a class before you can take it into a dungeon, plenty of time to get used to the skills you have. The first few dungeons also have huge margins for error.

If you want to try healing, go ahead and put some levels into a healer. When you get to dungeons, grab some friendly folks who know you are new to the whole group healing thing and can help you learn. It really is not bad at all. Same thing applies for tanking.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

I get the appeal of the cross class skills but having to grind THM to 26 for one skill that apparently I'm useless as a whm without kind of sucked a lot of fun out of this game for me. Dungeons levequests and guild heists were fun until they became a chore I need to tick off before I can go back to my main class.

And apparently I'm not done since I need ancarnist at 34 now for eye for an eye

Swiftcast is not "stop playing if you don't have this" but is a hugely useful and handy quality of life skill. Don't grind THM to get it right this second but put a bit of time in here and there. Hell, just do the guildhest roulette on THM and run the odd roulette or dungeon on the class and you will hit 26 pretty fast.

I don't think anyone is going to give a poo poo if you don't have Eye for an Eye. It makes your life easier, that's all. gently caress, until they added in Deployment Tactics for SCH I usually forgot to cast the drat thing anyway.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

It gets a lot more involved. Don't judge a class by its early level abilities.

In fairness Lancer has the dumbest, least involved rotation in that level gap between Impulse Drive and Full Thrust. It gets much better.

Pretty much all the physical classes lack the third part of their base combo/priority system before 26 but Lancer is the only one where you can just get a drinking bird to sub in for you.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Pick up 2 or 6 levels of archer and then you get to also shuffle straight shot and venomous bite. Makes it a lot more bearable :v:

Also true. It may not be as efficient to cross class poo poo like venomous bite or fracture but gently caress it, have fun with it. Lancer gets pretty fun at 26 and you get jumps as soon as you hit 30 and go DRG so if you like the class concept or just want to pogo around the neighborhood then getting over that hump is the worst part of the whole run.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, DRG is in some ways a very pure physical DPS. You don't have branching combos coming from a single starter, you have two distinct and non-overlapping combos that both see use. The complexity comes from maintaining your DOTs and off-GCD skills while you do those two combos. If anything it actually gets a bit simpler at 60 (excepting Geirskogul) without feeling like it lost anything in the extra 10 levels.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

I'm playing Lancer too and at level 14 I'm just constantly doing the True/Vorpal Thrust combo with the occasional Leg Sweep thrown in to interrupt enemy specials or up my DPS for a turn. I'm guessing this pierce-debuff everyone means is actually the Disembowel/Impulse Drive combo?

Yep. Impulse Drive comes shortly and is just a medium potency attack (our comments about Lancer being boring is that Impulse spam is higher DPS than True/Vorpal without also having Full to finish).

Disembowel is the debuff and chains off Impulse. Chaos Thrust is a very high potency attack/DoT that finishes that combo but you don't get the ability until 50.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Selling from retainer storage directly? There is going to be a fire sale on old crafting materials people have been too lazy to remove and sell (like me).

Sounds like a good patch though. I look forward to uncapped Esos when they add the new tome, I have seven farthings I haven't bought pieces to upgrade yet.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I always forget list from retainer inventory is a separate menu option, but straight to vendor works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

How paranoid should I be about leveling new classes in the future? I'm trucking through the starting line in Gridania and snapping up every quest I see, but of course when I want to swap out this hard leather Lancer fetish wear for something a little more flattering that means no quests to fill the gap. Are guileves and hests enough to make up the difference, or should I start leaving non-story sidequests undone to pick up later?

Do them now and if you need gear for alts down the road you can easily craft it yourself or get a goon to hook you up.

Also once you are comfortable with play and your limits you can basically take classes from 1-15 using just the weapons you get from class quests and whatever glamour l1 gear you want without issue. Battle chocobo aren't required for that but they are a huge help in that effort once unlocked.

Keep in mind that classes in the 1-50 range that are lower level than your main get 100% bonus xp, plus 50% rested XP. And each class has their own hunt logs, class quests, and first time guildhest completion bonus. Getting alts to 15 for roulettes goes really drat fast especially when you have a few extra cross class skills to help.

Edit: Yes, careful synthesis 2 straight up obsoletes basic and careful 1. It owns.

• Locked thread