Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeeeeeeesssssssss

New bounties are everything I wanted, I love the art on that one page breaking down the various factions, stark black and white is so badass, MORE LUCCI?!?!? I'm so loving hyped for the next arc! Pity we started the new thread early, I'm sure someone clever coulda worked up something with Game of Thrones as the thread title.

Allarion posted:

I love One Piece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Usopp's evolution :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

Ichigo has never had any real time to mature, or even have a personality anymore.

Time was not the issue, he's had over a decade's worth of that. It's just that all the character development and poo poo went to the side characters instead of the main character. And all that development is usually ignored once it's done anyway, as if growing as a person has an endpoint and once you get there you are defined by your single most prominent trait.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I'm kinda hoping that this arc is gonna be just wrapping up the B-Team's adventures and moving on without a huge, climatic fight first.

That's what it feels like right now, something huge happened and the Straw Hats got involved, defeated the big bad and saved the day. So all the fighting is already done and most of what's left to do is party, pack up and leave. Well and I guess find that Wano guy the other samurai have been looking for, and hopefully not start another fight over that potential misunderstanding. Anyway, point is, I think is has the potential to be a shorter arc than the last. Not hard since Dressrosa was possibly the biggest arc the series has had, but still, I don't think we're gonna be on this island long.

I give it three months, five tops.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

That's basically how I felt about Punk Hazard and look how that turned out

Why would you think that about Punk Hazard?

The only reason I'm thinking that about Zou is because Sanji and Co. have already been on the island for a week, but Punk Hazard was brand new and untouched until Luffy got onto the island to mess things up, so of course that spiraled out of control. Things have already cooled off here, so I don't much see why we'd stay here beyond picking the crew up and tying off loose ends. Kinda like another Sabaody, only with more flashbacks.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > VEGETA > One Piece Manga Thread 13: think of a woman's proportions as "three circles, one X"

Also some sites are hosting chapters that have watermarks from both MangaPanda and MangaStream and it annoys me incredibly. Is one of the two just outright stealing from the other now?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is there such a thing as a hockey manga? I've read football, soccer, volleyball, boxing, baseball and basketball manga's, but never hockey.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RC Cola posted:

It would be so easy. There's already checking and fights in game. The drama is there. Throw in a girl pretending to be a guy and you've got a manga. Also haki slapshots

Google brings me to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Heavenly_Hockey_Club

loving shoujo hockey manga. I must read it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

We finally get a moment of reflection from the "Adults" of the crew and they gently caress everything up

You all had one loving job, guys, come on!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="456853675"]
How is Oda stalling? It's literally been 3 weeks since the Strawhats left Fishman Island.

You say that as if measuring time in the actual One Piece universe matters in the slightest.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Luffy still managed to punch out a Sea King setting out from Foosha (Fuschia?) Village as a babby newbie.

That wasn't a Sea King, that was a really big eel. Actual Sea Kings are way, way bigger, like Laboon sized and up, and hang out in the Calm Belt.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, there goes any chance of Sanji going back without a fight.

loving hell, Zou is over already?!!? So drat good, every chapter, best arc in a while, and the way things are building up now, the next are is gonna be awesome, too.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Desperate times... desperate measures... got a good laugh out of me. It's not just the plot, the comedy has been really on point lately as well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Let's see, stopped reading the manga sometime last May? But I heard there's gonna be a One Piece magazine now or something? And that's it's officially 20 years old now?

Jesus Christ.

I should probably catch up. Last chapter I read was when Luffy nearly killed himself and then Sanji's siblings found 'em and saved him, anyone know what chapter that was?

Eh I'll just start at 800 and work my way through 'em all tonight.

EDIT: "Let us play a game of Death!" yeah that's not creepy at all

EDIT2: Oooooh so that's why there were a bunch of giant kids on Punk Hazard. God drat Ceaser was jerking around Big Mom, Kaido AND Doflamingo? Either he had massive, massive balls or had no idea how in over his head he really was...

Also loving lol Luffy rounds up a bunch of clones because of course he does

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 16, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 838: :stare: holy gently caress it hasn't even been ten chapters and they've already hosed up in every possible way. also it looks like Big Mom's intel network can talk directly to her hat... jesus, put a lamp with a soul on a marine's desk, make one of the sails of the Thousand Sunny alive, her spies could literally be anything... she's basically omnipotent

Chapter 839: :catstare: excuse me the gently caress is that

Chapter 841: I see the efforts to one-up the last childhood flashback are still in effect. Though I'm pretty sure Law's "I hid in a field full of dead children" is still on top of that pile. also luffy what the gently caress

EDIT:

Chapter 844: my emotions

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 16, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tsob posted:

Don't her homies all have obvious anthropomorphic features like faces? Can't really see them as good spy material given how simple it is to tell when one is around if that's true.

when they have their eyes closed they blend in pretty well

Chapter 847: that box is going to be opened at the tea party and it will be glorious :allears:

Chapter 848: :yohoho: Soul King :allears:

Chapter 850: I'm listening to the ost as I read this and naturally this song was playing during the Pudding reveal and I'm so frucking mad right now

EDIT:
Chapter 851: ouch holy gently caress my heart I can't take this reading this much one piece at once was a bad idea JINBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Chapter 854: "Bropper are you okay?" no he's clearly not. also Brook managed to score some hits on the sun, noice

Chapter 855: oh a fly :catstare: and holy gently caress Brook is stealing the god drat show this arc

Chapter 856:

Chapter 857: WHY DID I STOP READING THIS loving COMIC EVERY drat CHAPTER IS A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE OF EMOTIONS HOT drat

Chapter 858: wow there's a lot of "milk" in this chapter

Chapter 860: I have to say, more than anything else the causal cannibalism is still creeping me the gently caress out

Chapter 862: ... I was wondering why the thread title changed...

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 16, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 867: :stare: :stare: :stare: okay big mom wins the most hosed up childhood flashback award :stare: :stare: :stare:
I had this music playing and it loving sync'd up way, way too well, the final drum hit exactly on the double page spread when she finished eating and I'm way too sleep deprived to handle this right now I'm honestly shaking and need to go for a walk

EDIT:
Chapter 872

... oh god I thought there were way more chapters to catch up on... one year is not good enough, I need more

EDIT 2: Reading the thread cause I'm too full of adrenaline to bother sleeping and:

Bisse posted:

That one time she wanted to eat Créme Brulée and noone had it and she ended up eating her entire home island.

:allears:

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 16, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GodFish posted:

Foxy and the DAVY BACK FIGHT is the best arc :colbert:

two fillers arcs and a movie later...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I remember I was babysitting a kid, and we were watching TV because I didn't know how to babysit kids, and 4Kidz had this new show One Piece, and I thought it was charming but nothing special. I remember we saw the episode where Kuina died, only it was incredibly obvious that the show was being rewritten/censored in some way, kinda like Naruto was which at the time was the cool anime everybody loved. So I got curious, went out and found subs for the Japanese version, and I watched up to episode 19 and cried like a baby, and then I kept watching up to when Luffy beat Arlong and gently caress it, I was hooked for the long haul. And I kept up with just the anime until episode 290, which at that point I had caught up to the anime as it was airing, and gently caress waiting on that cliffhanger for more episodes, I dived straight into the manga and never looked back.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Has it really been that long since then? How long ago does that make Impel Down?

Wiki says that chapter 523 was released on Nov. 22nd, 2008.

So a little less than 9 years ago.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ChubbyThePhat posted:

MAN it was that long between the two? poo poo feels like last year. I feel my retrospective grasp of time is... bad.

I know what you mean, going by the date I would've been in college at the time but it feels like it was a hell've lot more recent than that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pineapple is fine so long as it's thin slices of juicy fruit goodness.

But some pizza places give you giant chunks of frozen pineapple cubes that just overpower the other flavours like it's a loving hostile takeover.

It's like putting whole mushrooms on pizza, there's no point when it just chokes out the rest of the ingredients.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's been a long, long time since I've thought "oh god they're so hosed" over anything Luffy and the gang has done for a while now. Even during Dressrosa, at best, they were creating chaos but it never felt like they were too in over their heads.

This right here though?

oh god they're so hosed

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

the actual reason is that toei and the animation industry as a whole have a small pool of extremely talented animators and they're all working on twenty shows at once

anime has reached a point where you need to produce as much as possible as fast as possible to be successful. Even when series go on season breaks their staff is working on something else at all times.

when there's spikes in animation in a show like One Piece and your thought is "Where was that the rest of the time??" the answer is it was in Tiger Mask W or Pretty Cure or Dragonball Super or so on and so forth because a handful of really good dudes are drifting through all these series as their schedules allow

And it's only getting worse as almost every studio that used to actually hire and keep it's animators have gone under, so most studios are contracting their entire team on a per anime basis. I think Kyoto Animation still has a full staff?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm still not convinced about Big Mom eating Carmel

lol

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

largely because it begs the question as to why she was shown as secretly being evil

Probably because having big mom eat the most genuinely kind and caring character in the manga would be an actual tragedy, but having Carmel literally be devoured by her own ambitions is poetic justice.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I feel that Sunny being shunted aside is just another casualty of the huge cast. Like, we're at the point right now where we need to leave crewmembers behind on other islands just to be able to tell the story that needs to be told, honestly the last two arcs have been the best One Piece has been for a while and it's partly because we dumped half the crew at Zou and picked up a few guests along the way to Whole Cake, both giving the main cast room to breathe while also spicing things up with new characters for them to interact with that aren't hostiles.

Merry was part of a small, tight knit group that struggled constantly to move forward and had more than a few scars along the way. Sunny is part of a larger, more confident and capable group, built of tougher stuff and repaired off panel.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Not to mention the fact that the crew has gotten even more bloated now that Jimbe has officially joined up (I forget, is Carrot a permanent new addition to the crew or is she more of an "honorary" Straw Hat like Vivi was at this point?).

Vivi is a proper Straw Hat and Carrot is just a guest.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

One of the best things about One Piece is the lack of constant power ups.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Begemot posted:

He was an orphan, and after that he was a bounty hunter until he met Luffy. I've always thought the bounty hunting thing would come up again. We really see hardly any bounty hunters at all in the whole series, considering what a big deal bounties are. Zoro, the people in whisky peak, that one gladiator who was good at throwing....

Also Zoro's pals who stuck around til the end of Arlong Park.

Anyway, I imagine we will eventually get some kinda backstory for Zoro. We know he made a promise to Kuina, and that's important to him, but we don't know, for example, why he was traveling to that dojo, or why he worked so hard to be a swordsman even before he was friends with Kuina, or where he came from before getting to that dojo, or why he has a family name?

At some point another Roronoa character is gonna pop up, even if only to say "dammit Zoro you're ruining the family name now everybody thinks we're pirates!"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't his power literally just the candy guy's from the fourth movie? Dunno what's so hard to understand, he's a candy man.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

IceBorg posted:

I actually had a theory for a while that the Katakuri we see is a fake body made by the real one and that is why it works in a logia way because it's a body made of candy and that's it.

Bonus points if the real one's character design is really diferent in a really ugly non-badass, kinda like a reverse of that other Big Mom captain whose real body was a "badass design".

We already did that this arc.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Aren't the anime and the Japanese manga both currently on the Whole Cake Island arc at the moment?

yeah but one's at the beginning and the other is wrapping things up

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fowl posted:

I had not idea there was so much money on the scanning-end of scanlation.

There's a ton of money being made on illegal manga and anime sharing sites, most of which is leeching money off the people who actually do the work, including translation teams. Think MangaStream gets a cut every time their translation shows up on KissManga? Naturally they gets their scans from one of these guys in Japan posting early releases, who are also profiting from Japanese readers wanting to read free manga.

It's a pretty big spiral of thieves profiting on the backs of creators, both legit and questionable.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rudoku posted:

And it pays for itself if they release a decent Yu-gi-oh card with it. The last one is sitting in the 70-100 dollar range.

... wouldn't Yu-gi-oh players just sub to WSJ? Or are the cards you get random?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Brett824 posted:

Does anyone else feel that LuNa shippers are just not reading the same material as us?

was wondering why the thread title changed

also it's obviously gonna be Boa, because it's her DREAM and little things like Luffy explicatively saying no mean nothing to a woman determined to live her DREAM

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tsob posted:

Sanji is the bassist, because it'd be just a bit worse than Zoro.

yo what the gently caress

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conversely, the next arc could be even more bogged down with characters.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even see how they're gonna survive the next two chapters, much less twenty. It's pretty great. :allears:

My own thoughts on the Yonkou rankings, Big Mom could be at the top for all we know. Like, she's the one we've seen the most of, and has anything we've seen pointed to her being behind any of the other emperors?

She's got the largest number of territories under her control, she's got an absolutely huge crew, basically an army, and the top four range from giving Luffy a really hard, hours long fight to basically curbstomping him effortlessly. There are a number of ways she directly controls and influences Whole Cake Island, first through simple ruling and taxing, then through additional DF stuff so she's able to grow her own soul harvesting abilities far beyond what they'd be capable of normally, and finally through arranged marriages. Germa 66 were setup, but political marriage into Big Mom's crew is seemingly a normal thing, and we don't know how the extent to which she's used those marriages to control other crews and possibly countries. All that, and the strongest one-on-one fighter is still herself, by such a huge gap that everybody in this thread agrees, there's no way Luffy or the crew is doing anything but escape for now.

So... why can't she be number one? Because it doesn't make sense narratively? Because other Yonkou were called "Strongest Man in the World" and "Strongest Creature in the World"? Because it feels "too early"?

Blackbeard is obviously the weakest, and we have no idea what Shanks actually capable of, and for all Kaido looks invincible he hasn't done anything yet so who knows. Just based on what we've seen so far, Big Mom's crew looks like it could go toe-to-toe with the world government and it'd still be a close thing, closer even than the fight against Whitebeard's crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TriffTshngo posted:

I made a clean break from the anime at the time skip and my only regret is that I didn't do it after Impel Down. I'd like to go back and read through Marineford someday because loving yikes it was bad in the anime.

Do it. I did the inverse and jumped off around the middle of Thriller Bark, occasionally checking back and binging episodes, and the quality difference between reading Marineford and watching it is measured in orders of magnitude. It was the hypest poo poo in the manga, and I literally could not be bothered to watch the anime version.