Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

flakeloaf posted:

The student union at Carleton voted to stop supporting cystic fibrosis charities because that's a disease of white men.

As a current student at Carleton, I can tell you that the campus unions drive more people away from voting with their obnoxious hallway campaigns. Constantly harassing people trying to get to class is an easy way to breed contempt for whatever you're trying to vote on.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should leave his corpse on display like he's Lenin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ikantski posted:

Storyland freaks me out every single time I drive past it to get my cheap french beer.
Ah, another patron of the Portage du Fort Dépanneur.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jordan7hm posted:

Should've done this before the election.

Men with beards can't be trusted.

Excellent native cockney wit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cultural Imperial posted:

And this is why all Canadian journalists deserve to live out of social housing and eat out of dumpsters

Speaking of journalism, Carleton university just kicked a hornet's nest a couple days ago. The school of journalism and communications faculty is in a pissing match with students over comments made on a Facebook page called spotted@carletonu. Let's you post anonymous comments about the school for random crap.

Basically the faculty only has one advisor on staff who only has three office hours a week to cater to hundreds of journalism students. So someone made an anonymous post to the page saying they wished there were more advisors or office hours to handle the demand. The faculty caught wind of this and issued emails to every person who liked, commented or was tagged in the post, telling hem they violated the schools harassment policy. They then issued an order to everyone to attend a mandatory meeting about the harassment policy or face a monetary fine to their student accounts.

Naturally the students affected are loving pissed about this, and believe that the faculty is overreacting by stalking ever person involved to issue these email threats.

Stay classy Carleton.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Violet_Sky posted:

A friend of mine lives somewhere around the fire area and I'm really worried. :ohdear:

One of my friends runs a store in Downtown Fort Mac. I asked him how things were going. He replied: "In front of me it looks like an everyday traffic jam. Behind me it looks like the apocalypse."

His house is probably on fire right now. The whole loving city is going down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DiCaprio was the genius who thought that Chinook winds were proof of global warming.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The cbc new update says that "all efforts to suppress the fire have failed". It's currently over 10000 hectares on fire

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We should all help bail out Bombardier so they can invest all their money into a water bomber fleet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah much as I sympathize with my friends out there whose houses have burned down, I'm not sorry the city is gone. The "poors " in Fort mac are still better off than a lot of people elsewhere. Also it is Damm satisfying seeing an oil town go up in smoke.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So an body dead yet?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Out of the ashes of Fort McMurray comes first, sorrow. Then, ANGER.
Wild Rose Supporter: "The only good government is a Conservative government!"
In Ottawa, the Federal Government convenes.
Trudeau: "We must meet the threat with our valour, our blood, indeed with our very lives, to ensure that Canadian civilization, not Albertan, dominates this country now and always!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://globalnews.ca/news/2681326/former-alberta-ndp-candidate-criticized-for-calling-fort-mcmurray-fire-karmic/

quote:

Moffatt, who ran as a provincial NDP candidate in Lethbridge-East, said his comments were taken out of context.

“That wasn’t my intent when I said karmic, I was thinking of a bigger type of spiritual event, sort of a planet-wide karma, not an individual blame of people,” he explained.

The Dippers aren't above taking potshots on this one. Climate change, boosh.

I don't get the people who are yelling that a State of Emergency wasn't called sooner. What exactly would have changed had it been called earlier? It's not like the fire was going to slow down, and that 88000 person evacuation was handled on the municipal level, not the provincial or federal. As far as logistics are concerned, that was a goddamned amazing feat to accomplish with only two fatalities.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 5, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This fire was probably caused by some dipshit throwing a cigarette butt out of his f350.
In an ironic twist, the lack of production going on in Fort mac actually caused oil prices to rise nearly $1.50 a barrel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I was reading it apparently started with a fire in a trailer.

Obviously a liberal/ndp plot if some of the radio interviews I've heard are to go by

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ceciltron posted:

Northwest passage would make a good replacement national anthem for Anglo-Canadia.

Then you'd have literally dozens! of people complaining that Stan Rogers glorifies an absolute shithead like John Franklin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

flakeloaf posted:

Now it's time to play "Guess the newspaper"

Come on, quoting The Sun is cheating. That reads like a Mike Strobel piece.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ikantski posted:

Get on their email list for the real crazy

To be fair to Lisa ritt, when the conservative "surplus" amounted to twelve dollars in a piggy bank, it was kind of inevitable the liberals would blow through it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Perfect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress ghomeshi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cultural Imperial posted:

At least Justin Trudeau is the most beautiful world leader

Only until prince Harry comes to power after his immediate superiors meet suspicious ends.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or money for nothing because it has the word human being in the song.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My coworker was actually legitimately angry this morning that JT "lied" when he told the Russians we didn't need help. :rolleyes:

Did you explain to him the massive can of worms allowing Russian aircraft access to our airspace would be?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cheryl Gallant Unloads On David MacNaughton, New Ambassador To U.S. posted:

]OTTAWA — Canada's ambassador to Washington was appointed as a cushy reward so he could lobby for his former clients, claimed outspoken Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant Monday in remarks the Liberal government said amounted to character assassination.

Gallant, the longtime MP for Renfrew—Nipissing Pembroke, told the Commons the appointment of David MacNaughton was simply outrageous. He is the former chairman of the Toronto government relations firm StrategyCorp and a former principal secretary to Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty.

"This is one at the same level as appointing a family member, like a nephew, to such a position. It is who one knows in the PMO for the government," she said.

"His appointment at taxpayer expense is his reward for having sat in the same office as the prime minister's principal secretary, the individual who controls everything the prime minister says and does," Gallant said, referring to Gerald Butts, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's best friend and trusted advisor.

Butts worked for MacNaughton in McGuinty's office — later replacing him as the principal secretary to the Ontario premier. MacNaughton was also the one-time boss of Trudeau's chief of staff, Katie Telford, who worked at StrategyCorp prior to becoming the Liberals' campaign co-chair for the 2015 election.

Gallant went on to suggest that MacNaughton was the "prime minister's bully" and was given the job to line his own pockets. She referenced how he was named in a $1.5 million lawsuit by a disgruntled ex-Liberal candidate.

"Is this the way the Liberal Party is getting the taxpayer to pay MacNaughton's legal bill?" Gallant asked. "Give him a cushy job in Washington where he can lobby for his lobbying clients and add to his clientele list."

'Character assassination'

Liberal MP Kevin Lamoureux, the parliamentary secretary to the government House leader, suggested it was a good thing Gallant was standing inside the chamber — where parliamentary privilege protects her from slander lawsuits — rather than outside of it.

"Wow, what a job on character assassination."

MacNaughton's appointment was subject to the appropriate controls of the ethics commissioner, he said, and the ambassador had ensured all of his previous business arrangements were, and continue to be, in compliance.

Lamoureux noted that MacNaughton, who is well regarded in government and business circles, had a wide breadth of experience both in working with Liberals as well as Conservatives, and with governments abroad, including at federal and state levels in the United States.

"Ambassador MacNaughton brings with him an expertise that will provide the Canadian public, businesses and governments at every level a deep understanding of the various systems and leaders that will help Canada champion its interests in a renewed spirit of co-operation and promotion of every aspect of that relationship," Lamoureux said.

"His resumé speaks for itself. He has worked with various industries, sectors of our economy, key stakeholders, public and private alike, and countless governments from coast to coast to coast. He will do a fantastic job representing our business and stakeholder interests abroad."

The Trudeau government is focused on improving the Canada-U.S. relationship and MacNaughton will play a key role in strengthening that partnership, Lamoureux suggested.

Ex-U.S. ambassador Derek Burney, a former chief of staff to Progressive Conservative prime minister Brian Mulroney, told the Ottawa Citizen earlier this year that MacNaughton had the most vital ingredient for any diplomat in Washington: access, through close connections to Trudeau's inner circle.

"His asset in Washington and in Ottawa will be the fact that he is known to have the prime minister's confidence and to have the ability to get to the prime minister without going through a lot of filters. It will strengthen his capacity to get the job done," Burney is quoted saying.

But Gallant would have none of it.

Unlike prime minister Stephen Harper, who had appointed an NDP premier to Washington — Manitoba's Gary Doer — Trudeau had made a "sordid," "unethical" political appointment, she said.

"Cronyism is at its finest in the Liberal tradition," she said.

Gallant was particularly incensed that MacNaughton, someone with ties to the McGuinty Liberals, would be given a reward.

"MacNaughton is cursed by the taxpayers of Ontario for his time spent as principal secretary to Dalton McGuinty," she said, blaming him for Ontario's high electricity rates and large debt.

"Anyone whose name is linked directly or indirectly to former premier McGuinty should be disqualified for life from holding any government position."

She then went on to read comments from readers on a Postmedia story about the appointment, such as: "Way to go junior you've shown us that you really are ready to pork-barrel as well as anyone."

Lamoureux said it was "amazing" that Gallant felt she could come into the chamber and besmirch the character of an individual who had done so much serving his province and the country.

"The manner in which the member has brought forward issues, which are so beyond what is good parliamentary decorum, is completely uncalled for," he said. "There is no foundation in truth or merit to her arguments. I highly recommend that the member do a little more homework and look at what this individual has done for our country."

Cameron Ahmad, Trudeau's press secretary, told The Huffington Post Canada via email that the prime minister was "proud to appoint Mr. MacNaughton as Ambassador to the United States last fall, and is confident that he will continue to strengthen the Canada-US relationship moving forward."

Gallant keep Gallanting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let's go back to Maple Leaf Forever, and while we're at it, let's call it Dominion Day again. gently caress the french.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trou d'eau is sinkhole

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Leofish posted:

Time makes fools of us all.

Haha, the cons want their f-35s so bad. Anything would be better than those fat dumpster fires on wings. In all honesty much as I like the Rafale the super hornet is our best bet so I don't know why the opposition would be mad about getting a good long range bomb truck

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MA-Horus posted:

This is what the Superhornet isn't. It actually has terrible legs.

I thought they got those conformal fuel tanks for extended range?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MA-Horus posted:

those cost money

Compared to an f-35 even with fuel pods a super hornet is far cheaper and more reliable

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a buddy who is o sessed with guns and he constantly spews this rhetoric about how the government is going to steal them all after every mass shooting in the u.s and I have to remind him he's Canadian. Gun owners feeling persecuted for laws and crimes from a different country confuse and baffle me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

namaste faggots posted:

All Canadians should kill themselves

We do when we decide to stop living. It's perfect

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

the trump tutelage posted:

The Toronto Star has a headline right now that reads "What’s stopping the Dallas shootings from happening in Toronto?" ugghughuhghu

Our gun laws, perhaps?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ikantski posted:

I like Yakabuski provincially. If there is some supremely unlikely ONDP surge, I'd vote for them too, ABL.

I like how the rumor turned from buying them drinks to sneaking them in and getting them blackout. One of you guys should just post the whole story.

Yakabuski is the one saving grace for the cons in Renfrew county by virtue of being a decent human being while our mp is a raving lunatic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A Typical Goon posted:

lol just lol if you've ever voted for a party that was later elected

So vote green or ndp is what you're saying

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress nationalism. Hip are okay but stop making it about Canada we're embarrassing ourselves

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cheryl Gallant opens mouth, inevitable says something stupid.
This time, she's saying that political correctness is responsible for horrific crimes and immigrants raping children.

Never change, Renfrew County, you backwards cesspool of ignorant hate. You elected this woman. Again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ikantski posted:

Renfrew County is alright. Pembroke people are weird. And jesus christ Cheryl has a lot of time to post on facebook, https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.gallant.92?fref=nf

Pembroke is weird even by the county standards. And Renfrew itself is full of grumpy old people. I'm glad I left.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The USA election was so horrendous that I've stayed away from politics just about everywhere since I've been so sick of it all. So getting back into canpol is nice because as bad as our own nasty politics can be, at least we're more polite about it in comparison. I just hope Leitch's desire to import trump political styles to Canada doesn't take hold.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yesssssssss... a... referendum...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ontario conservatives really like picking poo poo leaders don't they? Granted Wynne is hot garbage but at least she wasn't that nutjob Tim hudak. Just sucks that it means Brown will be in next due to all the crap the liberals pulled and the nonexistent ndp.