Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

OSI bean dip posted:

A refresher on what is going on in British Columbia as we speak:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/email-scandal-1.3284856

This is in light of the fact that the BC Liberals in 2013, went on a tirade about former NDP leader, Adrian Dix and his doctoring of an internal memo when he was working in the previous NDP government. Of course, news articles about the attack exist but campaign videos have been removed.

I don't know why the BC Liberals are in such a hurry to cover this stuff up; between the medical researcher they fired and that poor kid in the motel last month, the government's only real accomplishments since being re-elected have been driving people to suicide, so why not throw a few murders in there for variety? Would it really hurt Christy's re-election chances? It's not like those women are building LNG plants up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Reminder that we're a year out from an election where Christy is going to run on "the NDP is saying no to all these LNG jobs that are coming ANY MINUTE NOW," ie her exact platform from 2013, and she'll probably win on it too because she's basically running unopposed at this point. Unless she manages to kill a player for the Canucks instead of her usual targets (lazy union employees, mentally deranged teenagers, etc.), then people might get mad.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

ocrumsprug posted:

The infinite LNG jobs was the greatest election promise ever made. They get to hide the failure behind the global price of energy, foreign companies not getting around to building anything and the NDP/enviromentalists/feds standing in the way for everything. It is perfect deniability.

Also the Childrens Ministry is all but murdering children in care and they are blaming people criticizing the ministry for the deaths.

I am trying to get comfortable with the fact that the BCLibs are going to be around for awhile yet.

Over 100 deaths a year, but you know, the real problem is that lady who keeps pointing them out. Christy has already said they're not getting any more money so I wonder which recommendation she'll focus on?

I also like how Plecas wants to replace Turpel-Lafond with someone who can gain the trust of the public, like they don't trust her now. She's pretty much the only highly public, trustworthy person associated with the provincial government, including the opposition.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Cultural Imperial posted:

Hahah did that op-ed really happen?

That sounds like the Province, all right. Any time bike lanes or transit come up the guy who runs the editorial section starts going on about how comfortable and convenient his car is and how dare Gregor try to take it away from him.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Hexigrammus posted:

Hey, B.C. had a Throne Speech today!

Highlights:

- will do something Real Soon Now about the Vancouver real estate market.

As noted in the debt thread, the "something" turned out to be "blame the city of Vancouver and do nothing otherwise".

Also they probably won't get that nurses' contract done anytime soon, nobody's in a real hurry to strike and while they'll probably have to give retro pay eventually, in the meantime it's not counting against their budget. I imagine the nurses' union would rather wait until the election for maximum leverage.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

It sounds like it could actually be a good deal for Alberta regardless of the pipeline situation but even the NDP happily puts the oil patch first so oh well.

The funny part is Alberta probably would have at least one of their pipelines started by now if they'd just played ball with Christy and kicked her a couple dollars to help her balance the budget. That's all she ever wanted, it's not like she's some kind of environmental ideologue. They'd have just run hard on the "Christy says YES to jobs" line and the damage to the party would have been minimal by next election. But the oil companies had to have it all.

Likewise, Christy might have been able to make a deal to bail out her completely botched LNG plans if she and her dumbass finance minister hadn't spent the last few months making fun of Alberta's budget, which impressed no-one, and made everyone there even more furious at her.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Cultural Imperial posted:

Hey guys apparently Mike de Jong doesn't use email

so there's nothing to FOI

Good news, it turns out Christy Clark is illiterate, so she couldn't have written or read anything incriminating. Another brilliant political move by the BC Liberals.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lng-canada-kitimat-delays-1.3674798

I was in Kitimat a couple weeks ago visiting family. They're still charging ahead on hotels, work camps, apartments (one of them is being built on what's essentially a flood plain, I don't even know what the idea was there)... meanwhile, houses don't seem to be selling anymore and the one hotel that did get finished is mostly empty. The other hotel in town got converted to low-income housing a while ago. Anyway, it was all going to turn around when those LNG proposals came through...

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

http://www.theprovince.com/news/national/98two+wheeler+preachers+sanctimonious+scolders+vancouver/12066830/story.html

quote:

A staff report delivered to city council this month recommends that any newcomer seeking a city parking permit in the West End be slapped with a 700 per cent fee increase. Current permit fees for existing residents are far too low, at $80 a year, explain city planners. Better to charge incoming residents at a “market rate,” which the city has determined to be $50 a month, or a punishing $600 a year.

%600 a year?! Living downtown will become unaffordable at this rate.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Oak Bay's greatest collective shame is that they ever allowed for any rentals to be zoned. If they pretend the renters just aren't there it's easier.

This is one of the reasons they chased the residential care facility there out to Quadra Village; all those stroke victims and dementia patients don't own their hospital rooms, they're just paying month to month.

The other reason was that inexplicably, there were a lot more people who needed residential care bads in Oak Bay and they made the mistake of trying to build a slightly taller building to house them all. Having to let all those kids go to that new high school was bad enough.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

I'll believe that moratorium is happening when it actually happens.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

I highly recommend this week's Conrad Black column, as Connie no longer even acknowledges that Trump could have flaws, so perfect and wholesome have his last few weeks been. It's the most entertainment you can get out of the Canadian media. I'd say he's angling for a pardon but he might have figured out he has a shot at a cabinet post at this rate.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

The Butcher posted:

In the hopes of currying favour to secure some concession, anything at all, they carry with them crates of furs and jewels, the finest spirits, and of course, more gold to bestow upon him.

It turns out we were bestowing the wrong kind of gold on him.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

THC posted:

For decades, the National Post has been making principled stands on the issues that matter. Let's have a look back at some of the moral victories they've scored.

- They were big proponents of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. They furiously criticized Prime Minister Chrétien for his decision not to join the invasion, calling it a huge mistake and a betrayal.
- They were dead against gay marriage. It would undermine the sanctity of marriage and pretty soon we'd have people marrying their cousins, total moral collapse!
- They endorsed Stephen Harper's Conservative Party in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, and 2015. They endorsed Stockwell Day and the Canadian Alliance in 2000.
- They published a false report that Iran was going to start making Jews wear badges
- They've backed Israel 100% in every situation forever
- They think BDS is the worst form of anti-semitic censorship. Meanwhile, blackballing anyone who supports BDS is a moral imperative.
- They've published editorials defending Michael Vick, Bill Cosby, Jian Gomeshi, Conrad Black, and that guy who was recorded beating his dog on an elevator security camera.
- They published articles personally attacking a climate scientist, who later won a defamation suit against them.
- They think trans people should not be allowed in public bathrooms or to really exist at all
- They publish a regular column by Rex Murphy

Don't forget Connie's ongoing Trump rehabilitation project, where Trump is popular and--well, he's GOING TO BE popular, any minute now, and he's fine and reasonable and there's nothing weird about anything he does and he's definitely going to give me a pardon any day now.

Also, the climate scientist was an MLA, a Green Party MLA no less, and if you can't even talk poo poo about the Green Party without getting sued and losing you blew it pretty badly. Corcoran didn't even lose his job for it!

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Helsing posted:

THC isn't that climate scientist Andrew Weaver, the guy you were just saying sucked?

does THC actually stand for Terrence H. Corcoran????

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

So the situation in BC as far as I can tell is that the BC Liberals left a spreadsheet full of personal information sitting in an unprotected Wordpress folder on their website. People found it and they had to apologize, but then Christy Clark blamed it on the NDP hacking them, despite admitting she had no idea how to prove that. Now they're claiming one of the attempts to hack them came from the legislature building, which isn't particularly helpful or damning, and that the Province was the one who accused the NDP in the first place, although Christy also still thinks the NDP did it. It's so ridiculous, even the Sun/Province aren't going along with it.

I don't know if this is supposed to be some kind of Trumpian power move or what, but Christy may have finally done something so dumb not even the BC NDP could fail to capitalize on it. I look forward to them proving me wrong.

James Baud posted:

A sister's still pulling ~60/hr as a regular employee / retail pharmacist in a mid-sized BC city, so the wages haven't gone through the floor or anything... at least outside the big cities.

I quite envy the portability of healthcare jobs to lower cost of living locales.

It can be nice in a lot of ways (I people at Island Health who've ditched Victoria for identical jobs up-island at half the rent), but if you go to a smaller town you're also facing a considerably more dire health care situation. In larger cities the long-term care facilities don't meet quality standards. In smaller cities the long-term care facilities can't meet demand, and everyone is stuck in the acute care unit. In the smallest cities and towns there just aren't any beds and the sick and elderly just lay there in their homes and hope the home support worker scheduled to come once a week and bathe them doesn't call in sick. You could be that home support worker!

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

does hootsuite news (and if this doesn't count as news, what does) go here or in the real estate thread

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

https://twitter.com/Abbynews/status/837071374644436994

guys, we need to open a dialogue with the working class white trash because

Many of the trades unions in BC are increasingly uninterested with solidarity outside of their specific trade. I wouldn't be surprised if others followed, maybe even Unifor or the nurses (who are also currently busy trying to fight the other unions instead of for their members). Anyway putting your trust in Christy Clark to look out for your best interest is definitely a good idea and has definitely not backfired on anyone else in the province, so look forward to those "poor starving tradespeople looking for work" stories in a few years/months.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

THC posted:

BC Liberals announce $30 million in road improvements for Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows. All driver safety improvements nothing for anyone else even though it's one of the most dangerous areas for pedestrians/cyclists. Families first.

maybe the cyclists need to bike on down to the next party fundraiser and buy some loving tables if they want to not get run over

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Elections BC is investigating the BC Liberals now, so expect a very sternly worded report from them that everyone in BC will ignore.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Powershift posted:

And a $2,000 fine, payment of which will be optional, of course.

They'll just get a mining lobbyist to drop off a cheque on the way to Christy's victory party.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

THC posted:

https://twitter.com/theprovince/status/838919346470649860

"An honest error". Why am I having trouble believing that.

Much like the BC Elections probe, it will be quietly buried somewhere safe (actually, they let Michael Smyth write about the probe, but he assured the reader that Rich Coleman personally told him it wasn't a big deal)

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

The Butcher posted:

Ugh this is like watching an NHL player running sick dangles around a wobbly 6 year old. Over and over again.

I can't stand the BC Liberals but I do have to give them credit for having their political game on lock. Always multiple steps ahead of the BCNDP.

Not gonna cry any tears for taxi drivers though. Rude rear end, dangerous driving motherfuckers.

This is every Michael Smyth election column ever. Christy did something. If the NDP takes a stand, they fell into her clever trap. If they're cautious, they fell into her devious trap. Do not consider at any point whether what Christy did or said was good or useful in any way; secret BC Liberal sources, who are definitely not Rich Coleman, assure Michael that this was all according to plan and therefore Christy is a brilliant puppet master and the NDP are foolish saps.

Then in a couple years, when things go south and there's not an election imminent, Smyth and Vaughn Palmer can write righteous stories about the liberals' incompetence. It's not like they approved of those things, they were just talking about her political acumen. They could just write that Christy's full of poo poo and cozying up to a terrible, company about to collapse under the weight of its own malevolence towards its customers and employees, but I guess Postmedia isn't interested in that story for some reason.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

I don't think this got mentioned earlier but apparently Postmedia employees had their benefits gutted to pay for Paul Godfrey's next round of bonuses. Half the execs who received "retention bonuses" a few months ago are already gone. Watch out this weekend for the Terence Corcoran column about how the free market has wisely decided none of his co-workers deserve a pension. It couldn't happen to a nicer group of papers but I hestitate to call it a good thing.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Rime posted:

I am going to laugh my loving rear end off if the NDP lose the election because they oppose Uber, which the Liberals then bring in (in the typical half-assed BC fashion), and which shortly goes bankrupt and pulls out due to the crushing lawsuit from Alphabet which is currently pending.

loving hell I hate this province so much.

The thing is though, they're not going to lose the election because of Uber. They'll lose it because they botch the housing affordability issue somehow, or because everyone forgets the NDP was even running in the election, or... I mean, the mind boggles at the possibilities here. But I don't think anyone outside of Greater Vancouver cares, the audience is limited even within Greater Vancouver because they wouldn't give up their cars anyway, and even the papers here seem pretty half-hearted about it today. They already wrote their "THE NDP BLEW IT ON UBER, WHAT FOOLS" columns a couple days ago, when the story was "The NDP are spineless and indecisive", not "The NDP is backing the wrong party". I am loath to defend the BC NDP, but they were going to get it no matter what position they took--defending the evil cartel, selling out to silicon valley tech scum, pathetic fence-sitting. Their best bet is to just move on, keep pushing on the issues they're still strong on (education, housing... for now) and try not to gently caress up too badly.

Yes, I'm aware that's asking too much of them.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Please, there's as many Tim Hortons in downtown Hamilton as there are mosques in that photo. I think the Canadian mosque:donut ratio is safe for the foreseeable future.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

We had almost all the south Island NDP candidates at our union local meeting on Thursday, and they (I think it was Rob Fleming specifically) pretty much admitted they wouldn't be able to change the system anytime soon. They felt defunding private schools immediately would just cause chaos and the public system wouldn't be ready to absorb the influx of new students right away. So it doesn't look like the Catholic schools are going anywhere.

Whether the public schools improve enough to attract students back is another matter--anecdotally, quite a few 40-50k a year employees at my hospital are coughing up for private schools because the public system got so bad. They'd probably love to move their kids back if they saw any reason to.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy gently caress, gently caress the BC Liberals so loving much

Sounds like you have an anger management problem, this is why we need a strong stable jobs like Christy "Jobs" Clark protecting our jobs.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

With the nonexistent state of polling and how shockingly dull and quiet this election has been I could imagine this happening. I have absolutely no sense of how this election is trending.

Someone on twitter was talking about a tied poll today with the Greens at 20% but it wasn't clear if that was BC or the Island or what, and then they never backed it up. It wouldn't surprise me.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Christy on Facebook live update: the NDP may not have said the things I said they said, but that just proves they're flip floppers who'll say anything. Then I turned it back off

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

THC posted:

It's cool how the media devotes 40% of its election coverage to the BC Greens because it's only fair that this totally serious major party be given the hearing it deserves. Meanwhile the federal NDP was lucky if it got 5% time back when it had "only" 20 seats in parliament

Remember when Adrian Dix refused to go negative and he got called pathetic and a wuss and lost his job instead of being called the bright future of provincial politics

Part of me hopes the Greens keep picking up steam, so that they become inconvenient to the BCLP and the media turns on them. Weaver thinks Postmedia was mean to him before.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

The NDP has run the vast majority of this campaign running on health care, affordable housing, and the general awfulness of Christy Clark, all of which is fine, and they've certainly done a better job this year than last election or... well, pretty much any other election in my memory. Although that's a low bar to clear.

The narrative, however, has been all about the Greens and what a breath of fresh air they are and how Andrew Weaver is a force to be reckoned with, since the NDP and Liberals are equally bad if you really think about it. This is a all completely organic and genuine, and just because every newspaper immediately and almost unreservedly endorsed the Liberals after a month of fawning over the Greens doesn't mean you should doubt their political clout. I'm not sure what good "communicating better" does when the message is filtered through an entirely hostile lens. The thing I've seen Horgan take the most heat for the last couple weeks hasn't been renters or tolls or ferries, but the idea that he might secretly be planning to raise taxes on everyone after the election because he's NDP and he loves taxes.

I mean, if policies and how you communicate them mattered, how did the Greens keep being taken seriously when they didn't even release their platform until two weeks in?

edit: Since I typed all that in the past tense and the election is, technically, not over yet: the Greens almost always underperform their polling. I think they've become normalized enough here that people aren't going to be scared off, plus half the province already voted a week ago, from the looks of it. If it does, then the NDP will probably pull it off because I don't think any disillusioned Liberal voters are going to drift all the way to the NDP at the last second.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 9, 2017

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

THC posted:

I bet the greens gain zero seats

I thought they had Gary Holman's seat in Sidney locked up, but it looks like the NDP has pushed back and, uh, it might go Liberal.

The nice thing is, if they do blow it, Weaver promised he'd quit as leader, and he's a paragon of honesty and integrity so you know he'll do it.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

The amount of whinging dippers do because the 10% of actual voters who vote green, presumably because the NDP isn't their first choice, won't listen to their clearly superior superior logic, while ignoring the 45% of non-voters is pretty lol.

I think it'd be fantastic and well-advised to focus on those voters and craft a platform to bring more people into voting and address their needs, but we're talking about the BC NDP--it's already sort of impressive that they showed up with their pants on the right way.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

If that happens, Andrew Weaver a) gets to decide the premier and b) promised to retire in shame for not winning a second seat, so who the hell knows.

edit: Oh, is the 1 seat not Weaver's? Well, it'd be Liberal darkness until the next byelection... that'll be a pretty interesting byelection.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 10, 2017

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

As an Albertan who has been paying zero attention to this election until right now, is the BC Green party as crazy as every other Canadian Green party? Their platform looks pretty solid, but the thread seems real down on them so I'm guessing there's been no shortage of candidates saying crazy things to reporters?

Most of the crazy stuff has been, like, the MLK incident or calling their leader the Canadian Barack Obama. The media doesn't want to question their policies so the cancer wifi stuff stayed in the background this time (although it would be hilarious if that's what they used their minority powerbroker status to address).

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Falstaff posted:

How's Clark doing? Does it look like she'll lose her seat again?

She's in Kelowna now, it's a safe riding. Well, I guess Point Grey was a safe riding once, too.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Tsyni posted:

If greens support the liberals do they not gently caress themselves in the next election, or is there a lot of green/liberal overlap?

You'd think it would be an issue, especially since realistically, the Liberals are going to do SOMETHING dumb within a year or so that Weaver's going to have a hard time supporting, especially if it's some kind of environmental disaster. I imagine there's someone in the party with some kind of authority who'd advocate for cutting a deal with the desperate NDP.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Scorchy posted:

Eat poo poo Suzanne Anton and Fassbender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Terebus posted:

Lol, I was only half listening but if I heard right some school board member is a liberal supporter and he was talking about how disappointed he is, this was on CBC. Why would a school board member be a Lib party supporter :catstare:

They're elected positions, sometimes you get Christy supporters. Probably worried an NDP government will be too busy buying teachers new cars on the taxpayer dime to teach our children once they ban Catholic schools.