Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

GotLag posted:

There's also the classic case of Derek Kieper, the anti-seatbelt campaigner who died when he was ejected from a rolling SUV. The two other occupants were wearing seatbelts and survived with non-life-threatening injuries.
https://www.snopes.com/autos/accident/seatbelt.asp

They both died doing what they loved: being irredeemable idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

`Nemesis posted:

Looks just like the process they use for marble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du9_Kn2y2VA

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I've never seen a man suplexed by a truck before.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yep! Called the Leidenfrost Effect. But for fucks sake don't wiggle your fingers when you do it. Just do it like most goons have sex. In. Out. Done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect

Wiggling your fingers is exactly how most goons have sex.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/v4kkwAR.mp4

They should have just lowered the road.

*David Attenborough sotto voce*

The pack surrounds the isolated prey... And pounces. The feast lasts for two days. And the circle of life continues.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Platystemon posted:

There were a lot of red flags.

boo_this_man.gif

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

weg posted:

His body was first a problem, then a solution.

Oh, that's good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm betting whoever built the laserbong had enough experience working with lasers to know he'd better include an interlock, because people do dumb enough poo poo when they're sober.

Lockout/Tagout, mannnnn

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nth Doctor posted:

You missed one

Eh, one will neutralize the other. Problem solved!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bum the Sad posted:

Do the Harlem Shake

Circuit Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Platystemon posted:

It’s a three‐centuries‐old trip hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryNkMhYpsY

This poo poo looks like something you'd see in Warhammer 40k.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

At least the guy seems to be taking the "Call a professional" advice to heart.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I spent a year there one weekend.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sagebrush posted:

Forgive me for being blunt but I think that working at Los Alamos in 1944 and dying of cancer 63 years later doesn't really imply causation.

I was about to say something similar -- at the risk of sounding like an insensitive jackass, that's a pretty good freaking run! I would figure that radiation-induced cancer is something that shows up and kills you relatively quickly.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Wall Balls posted:

and finally age 18

:golfclap:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah okay, until you Yankees get your own poo poo(lol) in order, you don't have any ground mocking the South.
Fix your own problems first.

Still gonna take poo poo Francisco over KKK.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

It's me, the old man at the bottom of the screen, pointing at the woman under the truck but not breaking stride.

https://i.imgur.com/jLIKZXZ.gifv

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezf5oeP3eRE

:v: "Dude that sucked!"

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

highly toxic it's lead you retard!!! You know the stuff that a lot of older city water mains are made out of the stuff that was common in water lines and homes up to the 70s the stuff that any older building is painted in!!!! highly toxic try again retard!!! lead is mildly toxic at best!

OSHA: mildly toxic at best!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nenonen posted:

How did you attach the machete to the trimmer?

Is this a pitch for Jörg Sprave's next video?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Buff Skeleton posted:

How would fire escape work in a rotating skyscraper? I imagine you'd have the actual fire stairwell in the center along with elevators (and all the rotating machinery), but if there are any interior walls up against the central column, then bad times happen if your floor's fire doors are obscured. So I'm guessing no walls against the center, and a 360-degree radius around it which is all open so you can always access the elevators / doors regardless of rotation.

There was a documentary about this kind of place already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWSkYqqkMA

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's not like he is some cackling evil scientist. Everything he did worked really well, for what it was intended for.

Well, yes, but being such a huuuuge net negative to society kinda overrides that.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Was about to say the same thing... RIP that person.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ The cameraman says something along the lines of "last/final time". I think he was right!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Oh - kaboom!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjyitKg45OU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

a sexual elk posted:

I just started as a longshoreman at the Los Angeles/ Long Beach ports, what you got for me OSHA thread?

I'm afraid I don't have anything, I'm just kinda surprised your job still exists. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I was under the impression that the container + automation had pretty much wiped out longshoremen.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm not a woodturner so I gotta ask is this man a dumbass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6bkaVGnvpE&t=400s

Skip in to 6m40s if you like, but actually I have questions about the whole video. Also that's part two. Part one also gives me the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Mod_92VZA

I've only turned a handful of things and therefore am hardly an expert, so: I don't know if there's a better way of clearing out the inside of the cone. It's basically the same way you'd hollow out a deep vessel, with the tool rest going well into the form itself, but taken to the extreme while... uh, sitting on the tool rest? I guess if you're dead-set on doing this, you kinda have to do it this way.

That said: holy poo poo does everything about it seem unsafe. That thing seems to spend about 80% of the time out of round. The fact that he had to suspend it from the ceiling for support... I don't even know. I'm mostly amazed at the faceplate and bolts which managed to actually hold the stock.

Good on him for wearing a face shield though! :thumbsup:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Grem posted:

American made, Saudi fired missile.

There was a wedding in the area and the default programming kicked in.

:drat:

Alternatively, :boom:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Karate Bastard posted:

I thought one should take care to stay clear of the tool in case it snags and kicks up and hits you in the whatever you didn't clear? Also I thought you should keep the tool rest close to the work piece in order to minimize the risk of that happening? Whereas this guy actively leans over the handle of a tool that goes halfway past the rest so if it snags it will probably fling him into an active tornado of maple and tools? Or am I being a wuss?

No, I think you're right on all of the above. I don't know if the lever action would be strong enough to fling him in case of a catch, but it would sure leave a nice impression as the handle wallops him. There are so many things that look incredibly dangerous there that I don't even know what to look at anymore. I'm imagining the bolts letting go and then the massive goddamn tree just steamrolls anyone nearby.

In unrelated gifs, this turbo sucking in an air rag was posted on Jalopnik:

followed by this in the comments:

The guy survived with minor injuries, apparently. RIP the turbo and valves though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Gorilla Salad posted:

You need a low pitch, bass sound or they won't even stir. A recorded voice clip is even better, preferably a mature woman.

There was a business school case study about a company that wanted to sell exactly that kind of product, allowing parents to record a clip in their open voice so they could use their kids' names, personalize the alert, etc. The incumbent fire alarm mfgs got spooked and fought them tooth and nail through lawsuits, lobbying, FUD. To the best of my recollection, the product never made it to market.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

A freaking plane and it injures just his foot? I don't know if he's super lucky or super unlucky.

Also:

quote:

"The patient, an adult male, had suffered a serious lower limb injury and, after treatment by our crews at the scene, was transported by Air Ambulance to St George's Hospital at Tooting."

:haw:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

chitoryu12 posted:

This has never happened again since I got a phone with Google Maps. It often gives us a route that bypasses the Beltway altogether.

The only winning move is not to play.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Relentless posted:

I think having criminals ride that, while perhaps not cruel, is definitely unusual.

Maybe they should move it to a special Death Penalty Amusement Park. Get this, some old condemned wood roller coasters, some spinny rides with no safety bars...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Strong nuclear force -- surprisingly strong!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Powershift posted:

I'm sure they do, but only use it to train the algorithm in general instead of targeting specific spots. They probably believe they can fix all corners based on what's learned from a few, rather than needing the data to fix that specific corner.

There's a "corner case" joke in here somewhere.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Turns out Disappointment Island is real and has wonderful Google reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
At least one of those people learned their tall-thing-falling evasion techniques by watching "Prometheus."