Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

calvus posted:

I love how once the guard gets the gate open he doesn't back up anymore, he doesn't seem concerned that its on fire

You mean the guard that waves him through just before you can see him run further away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

There was a mishap in the UK today at a power station being demolished. Sounds like the explosives went off early, 1 dead and 3 missing.

Pics and videos, nothing graphic.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-35641766

Pity about the people who died, but god am I happy that eyesore is finally getting demolished. The power station absolutely dominates Didcot, to the point where announcements at the train station tell you to move "towards" or "away from" the power station.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I got through page 1 of this thread before I realized I didn't take joy from watching people hurt themselves, potentially seriously.

Did you post on page 6 after reading to the end because you enjoy watching people hurt other people, potentially seriously?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

This guy is a grad student so fat chance there!

This is a masters project. He's not even getting a PhD from this.

Since it's Brigham Young University, his biggest payment would be going to Mormon heaven anyway, no doubt!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

S-U-P-E-R posted:

Got this one from my photographer pal on Facebook:

No hard hats, no high-vis vests, no steel-toed boots. :sigh:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Not too long ago, a 14 year old German teenager drove a WWII bomb to the fire station on his moped. :pseudo: I can't quite find a non-German source, but there is a picture of the guy:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Cumslut1895 posted:

I wonder if the cameraman was impaled

General Bullshit: WGBS Channel 4 - Your local news leader › OSHA - I wonder if the cameraman was impaled

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Wile E. Coyote approved.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

About 6 or 7 years ago some developers cleared a whole bunch of factories and built a massive amount of apartment buildings in my town. Then someone realised the ground was toxic as gently caress so they had to demolish and remove all the buildings and they then excavated the entire site (which was roughly an acre) and removed about 4 or 5m of dirt, treated everything that was left for several years and then refilled the site and built a whole bunch more apartment buildings. God knows where they took 5m x 1acre worth of toxic dirt.

Immediately next to the site is a children's playground and the carpark to the supermarket where I've been shopping almost every day for the last 15 years. :waycool:

This just reminded me of decontamination efforts in Switzerland, in Kölliken. They apparently used to just dump toxic waste up until the mid-1980s, and they have now errected a giant structure above the old landfill while they unearth, sort and (more?) properly dispose the things in there. I'm having trouble finding a decent English source, but here is a video (in German) that doesn't need the sound, just showing the initial construction of the containment building they had to errect before they could start digging up the ground: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoLwUFakxJ8

Google also brought up these (rather few) slides, which at least have a diagram: https://clu-in.org/athens/download/Unique_Settings/Switzerland-Bernhard_Hammer.pdf

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Do yourself a favour and listen to the sound as well. :3:

The Vodka Burner is rolling. We have Smirnoff.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Crazy Ted posted:

Didn't realize Grover built another house.

It's inconclusive, since we can only see one window.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do you ever get a pic where you aren't sure if it should go in this thread or the Schadenfreude one?

The reason these fire fighters are spraying water on the money transport van is because the driver managed to get himself locked up inside the secured part of the van. It's a hot day and that part has no ventilation whatsoever, so they're trying to keep it cool.

The company brought a spare key to get the guy out in time. He's doing "reasonably well, considering the circumstances". The company won't say how he could lock himself up, because of security reasons.

Also, I have no idea why the guy with the hose seems to be wearing just a shirt, instead of the fire fighting uniform.

E: the guys to the left dressed like bees are cops.

I presume that is the firefighting uniform, i.e. the thing they normally wear sans protective gear. As far as I know, the actual protective gear is something you can put over other things, which means you'd usually have t-shirt etc. underneath. If it's a hot day and obviously a non-dangerous situation (at least for him), why bake in the sun unnecessarily?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

wolrah posted:

Are these sorts of things pay-per-ride? If so I would definitely have felt like that family had wasted my money, but a few <insert currency here> isn't the sort of thing you assault someone over, especially a kid who's only vaguely related to the problem.

I sympathize with the guy's anger, though obviously not his chosen way to express it. It seems like terrible ride design to have a ride where the fun comes from speed but the person on front of you has control over your maximum speed. If one person doesn't want to go fast the next few riders all get their fun ruined by having the thrill ride become a traffic jam.

The same guy who runs into peoples' spines because he is an impatient man-child would surely be completely relaxed and happy to wait for every single person to go down the whole track individually before they let the next person even enter at the top.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 17, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

I didn't expect that to actually have a parachute, to be quite honest.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Powershift posted:

There was nothing in the manual that specifically said not to climb on and off with the controls tied full forward. time to lawyer up.

I am honestly disappointed that he isn't standing on a little ladder up there to reach that light more comfortably.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Fortunately they didn't find anything of note and I grew up just fine. I grew up just fine. I grew up just fine. I grew up just fine

Don't worry, we can all guess how hard it must be to keep those three hands with 7-8 fingers each coordinated.

fake-edit: Everything I know about long-term exposure to radiation comes from the meticulously researched documentary "The Simpsons".

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's 7PM, they've predicted a snow storm for tomorrow, I'll just go out into the driveway and put on four snow tires, shall I? I am certain this would actually happen. The alternative is mandating that everybody buy snow tires, put them on in [say]December, and take them off in [say] April, which would be wildly unpopular in places that get snow for three or four days a year.

As far as I know, winter tires do not just help with snow, but they use a different rubber mixture and tire profile, which means they perform better in colder temperatures, so even if you do not get any snow, they would probably still be a sensible investment if it gets cold at all where people live and drive. It probably doesn't help that many people call them "snow tires" rather than simply winter tires. After all, why would I need snow tires if it never snows?! :byodood:

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 6, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

VectorSigma posted:

but he didn't fall off

Not all of him, at least.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Jeremy Clarkson was right!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

Is there anything good online about the management failures? All I hear about are striking workers.

I'm not sure how easy it is to find online, but the BBC had a programme called Das Auto - The Germans, Their Cars and Us a few years ago that looked a bit more closely at this, ostensibly driven by the question "Why do Brits now drive German cars, instead of British cars?". The documentary came in a wake of similar "Germany"-related topics pre-Brexit vote, which was a bit odd, but it was really rather interesting beyond just that point.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Speaking of, a patient got crushed by a radiotherapy accelerator there yesterday.

Seems like it accelerated alright, then.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48648769

quote:

Seven people have died whilst cleaning a hotel sewer in western India, according to local police.

The four sanitation workers and three staff at Darshsan Hotel fell unconscious and died on Friday night after inhaling toxic fumes.

Their bodies have been recovered in the village of Fartikui, and the hotel owner has been charged over the deaths.

quote:

the village of Fartikui

quote:

Fartikui

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

ExecuDork posted:

A can of beer would get you in trouble, but not instantly fired (unless it was wedging down the throttle on a forklift or something), because nobody is going to screw the wrong brand of beer onto their mask and then die choking on their own bloody vomit.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Christoph posted:

I saw a new car fall off of a transport truck yesterday, but went by too fast to take a pic. Someone is probably getting fired for it,not sureif it wouldthe trucker or whoever put the cars on.

They are often the same person!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Can you imagine if you ordered a pizza, the guy drove to your house, and just baked the pizza in the street and brought it right to your door. That would be pretty neat.

Late for oven chat:

Their pizza was good.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

How about this crash? Guy lived...somehow
https://i.imgur.com/edp2y0Y.mp4

The sole reason he lives is that somewhat silly looking steel halo in front of his head. I suppose that actually means that was a good addition to these cars, despite the looks?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

ChickenHeart posted:

EOD

[...]

Easily the most popular piece of equipment when we do school visits.

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

razorrozar posted:

imagine this dude in history class

"why would you give us this list of all the presidents?! you've spoiled who won each election for us! how are we supposed to appreciate the subject now?!"

Thanks for calling it World War I, you've spoiled the outcome!!!