Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

King Crab posted:

Do people get so uptight about Snyder because he is handsome, buff and a big nerd who loves his work?

Are they all just jealous?

I honestly think this is part of it, while nerds instinctively like Whedon since, despite being wealthy and successful, he looks like the microwaved offcuts of Conan O'Brien

Cerepol posted:

Truly the most annoying thing about this thread, is the reversal into glorifying the human that is Zack Snyder instead of just discussing his work. Not that y'all don't do that, occasionally someone dips into how manly he is as if that is relevant or anything.

My director can beat up your director.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fact that the "Not my Superman" crowd think of him as "my Superman" is a big indicator that they had a sense of ownership over the character and were always going to measure the film against their personal pre-conceived notions. Any deviation from their idea of what the character must be like (even if he figured himself out and grew into the classic ideal version of Superman by the end of the film) was going to be seen as a betrayal.

Man of Steel is a movie who's critics hate it, but struggle to articulate why while proposing fixes that would inevitably make the film far worse. Glance at any Cracked article where the film is mentioned to get an idea.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Anyway Snyder's Big Artistic Film was Sucker Punch, a movie that pretends to do one thing while actually (clumsily) doing another.

I'm curious to know which was which.

porfiria posted:

Yeah? Well, the Jerkstore called and they want you back. There's a product recall on you, you're not jerky enough. You...you're a nice guy. You're really solid and there for your friends. You mean a lot to me.

A good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Almost every mainstream movie has done this for over a decade, it's really annoying, especially when kids movies do it. No wonder kids dont know how to handle sadness irl anymore

I remember back when kids were perfectly well equipped to deal with sadness. That was definitely a period of time that actually existed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Ah, my favorite American superhero, Korean Air.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Didn't he have some kind of scandal? What was it?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I actually kinda wish we got a bit more Henry Cavill as 18-year-old Clark in Man of Steel. We really only get the one scene in the car, and once the tornado shows up he kinda matures a little bit, but he really, really nails the snotty "i'm 18 and I know everything" bullshit. Him talking with his dad about not wanting to farm felt very real, especially bringing up the fact that his dad isn't really his dad. It's all vocal too, because they don't do a whole lot to make him look younger, but his voice has a deepness and maturity in the present-day scenes that's absent during that one scene.

it's definitely too late for that now, obviously. But it just further leads me to believe that Henry Cavill is really underrated as an actor. He's not given a lot of flashy scenes, and his one big "actorly moment" is the primal screen post-neck-snapping, but there's a conflictedness just under the surface and he doesn't overplay it, especially when he has to play the part of World Savior Superman instead of just Clark.

god man of steel is so loving good. I feel like I grow to love it a little more each time I watch it.

He actually plays Clark as several quite distinct characters through the film, often differentiated by little more than small changes in inflection and body posture. There's even a distinct difference between 'wanderer Clark' and 'rescuer Clark'

Cavill's good, and Man of Steel is very good.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 18, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's depressing that even someone as creative and interesting as Vaughn has such a loving boring vision for Superman.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I think every story seems really simple as an outline, until you actually try to execute. I realised this when I had a go at writing a revenge story, a pretty straightforward sub-genre. Until you have to fill in the specifics. Superman is the same deal.

So, he's perfect, morally. What story do you tell with that character?

CelticPredator posted:

Vaughn is speaking my language. I hope he makes it.

This is going to sound meaner than I intend it, but I'm really glad you're not the decision maker here.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

He's uncompromising and destroys all tools of oppression and inequality and brings humans back to the stone age. Then reeducates everyone to be pacifist.

This movie would in fact be fantastic. Like that episode of Futurama where Bender becomes wood, but longer. And probably more expensive.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

What if the woman made it optimistic instead of dark. What then CD!

Well, we've already had two really optimistic movies, Man of Steel and Batman Vs Superman that were also dark, which sort of suggests you're proposing a false dichotomy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Davros1 posted:

The Donner Superman on film is less played out than the Dark Knight Batman we've had for decades now.

Not really. Burton, Schumacher, Nolan and Snyder all have pretty fuckin' different ideas about the character, both cosmetically and fundamentally

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When SS Troopers came out, many many people did not get it at all.

The DVD commentary by Verhoven (all of his commentaries are worth listening to) opens with the story of a review that says 'It seems to think war makes facists of us all, but they were probably to obsessed with special effects to think of that.'

The whole 'the really overt themes were there by accident is not a new thing, thankfully.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Confession time, here's what I've got: never seen Blade

Confession: I kind of liked Blade Trinity.

Also, yeah, Blade is really good. It's a bit too long and a little too exposition heavy, but that's easy to forgive, it was 1998, there was a lot less data on what audiences would be fine with and what they'd need explained. Like Megaman said, everything is in the first ten minutes, but we get exposition throughout.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just hope every goon that defends 300 as satire is also willing to put their lives down fighting for Sucker Punch
and boy are things gonna get interesting ITT if Zack ever makes that Ayn Rand movie he wants to do

Do you periodically black out? People here have written long screeds on Sucker Punch. It's a good movie to think and talk about.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

:frogout:

Edit: There was a germ of a good idea in there, and if they had followed through on Del Toro's original idea (basically I Am Legend, except starring Blade) I think it could have been a good movie. But holy God, Goyer is such a terrible director, and I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse on-screen Dracula than Dominic Purcell, outside of maybe Richard Roxburgh in Van Helsing.

Yeah, I'm aware that it is a bad movie. There's just enough good bits scattered throughout that I can throw it on in the background. Blade tearing his way effortlessly through hordes of yuppie vampires at the end was pretty cool, and Jessica Biel being on her iPod the whole time was hilarious.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm sorry you wrote all that, but Snyder said that his work on Wonder Woman was limited to consulting on costumes and continuity issues related to Wonder Woman and that the credit was mostly perfunctory like Stan Lee's producing credits.

Nah, he definitely had a hand in the setting. Apparently Jenkins wanted it to be the Crimean war, and he pushed for WW1.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Looks like John Wick with a smaller budget and a worse cinematographer based entirely off t-shirts sold at fairs in the late 90s.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This looks so good. Finally they can move away from "fist fighting punching guy" and do some gunplay.

Given how loving terrible all the gunplay in Daredevil was, I have no idea why you'd be optimistic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

My favourite part is that the guy just keeps stabbing the book in front of his chest. The book that the hero makes no effort to move at all.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have a trailer here with some dope rear end gunplay in it.

I must have blinked.

Serf posted:

This is absolutely true. There's not enough meat on them bones to go for 13 episodes. I think only Daredevil S1 justified every episode, and even then I think you could trim it down to 10.

Daredevil still had two or threee episodes that were almost entirely flashbacks.

Burkion posted:

The thing is, Daredevil DID have good fights.

Daredevil had good fights for a TV show. The most impressive fight (the long take, obviously) killed its own energy with its gimmick, as you watched the stuntmen lie down, recover and stand up again. This isn't unique to Daredevil. I always thought long, single take fight scenes were actually kind of overrated.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The next Superman movie should be about an American president who's a huge goddamned idiot hurtling towards nuclear war through sheer hubris and incompetence but Superman doesn't want to get involved because interfering in politics isn't his place, then billions of people die and he feels bad

"They always do their best to keep me apolitical"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

Depends on how buff you believe RDJ and Edward Norton to be.

RDJ is a lot buffer than a former alcoholic in their 40s should be.

Ruffalo's the real outlier for buffness

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

What the gently caress is this? That first part is astoundingly stupid as past addiction doesn't preclude someone from fitness and a huge amount of former users actually run toward the gym.
It does kind of preclude a large gain in lean muscle growth late in life. We're not talking about him being good at jogging.

cvnvcnv posted:

The second part is also very moronic as 40s is not old, especially in light of 40s being as far removed from a man's physical prime as he is in his late teens and early 20s and to speak nothing of many men being capable of getting and staying in shape well into older age.

In your late teens, your body is flooded with testosterone and you start bulking up when you get a gym membership. This does not happen in your 40s. It doesn't even happen in your 30s. Which is why even in shape 30 year olds don't look as good as they did when they were younger

Those older men are on steroids too.

Maluco Marinero posted:

It's not at all a secret that some folks work hard to get the shirtless movie body, and some folks juice, but most all of them do things that are not the perfect picture of health to get the shape for the shoot. The bodies themselves are as much a fiction as the movie they're in.

Hell, I feel like this discussion was already had 10 pages ago.

It's a false dichotomy. The people on steroids also work hard. That's the benefit of doing steroids, that you can. That a 40-50 year old man can hit the gym as often as RDJ (or Stallone, for a more extreme case) does. I'm 30 now, and working out and recovering is a lot harder than it was when I was in my 20s. I can't wait to be well off enough to start doing steroids.

sassassin posted:

Tony Stark uses steroids.

Absolutely no doubt, yes he does. So does Evans, who was probably on synthol to boot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

That statement is equitable to saying, "Drew Barrymore is a lot better director than someone who smoked crack at 12yo and famously later hosed a lot of dudes should be." It's stupid as poo poo and deserves to be pointed out as so.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It really isn't, because gaining a bunch of lean muscle has a very small window in which you can do it naturally. It's from when you're in your late teens through to your late twenties or early 30s if you've got good genes. After that, you can maintain, but it's too late to start, because the body just isn't what it was, in a very tangible, literal sense.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

Nice double-dip lmao which ignores completely your allegation that alcoholism will blow out your knees and break your back,

Didn't say or imply that. Alcoholism does have massive debilitating effects on your physical recovery, though. And RDJ was a serious drinker at the age when his body was best able to produce muscle.

cvnvcnv posted:

Also cool anecdote about your recovery time kicking your rear end as though that proves something. A man in his 50s on testosterone replacement taking him to normal levels who also adheres to x y and z can get RDJ's bod, forget steroids.

Testosterone Replacement Therapy is steroids you dumb poo poo. It's literally chemical assistance that aids massively in muscle growth and recovery.

I hate to be unpleasant, but you did start it. And 'he's not on steroids, he's just on TRT' is a spectacularly stupid position to take while being unpleasant

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 1, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

This is wrong. Or at least mostly wrong. It is more difficult to build muscle in your forties, much more in some ways. But, impossible without steroids? Nah. I don't know what pseudoscience you're reading, or who's telling you this, but don't spread it around, because some gullible person might read that and actually take steroids because they heard it's "too late to start". Nonsense.

Cite someone who did it in their forties, having been a heavy drinker in their youth, and provide your reasoning for why you think they did it clean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

Here is a study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387379

Of course, this study doesn't include details of the substance abuse history of those involved but it does show that building muscle is quite possible at that age, and I cannot find any study or evidence that suggests that previous alcohol abuse is like a magic switch that means the effects of the study above no longer qualify.

Anecdotally, although I am not in my late forties (late twenties), I have had issues with repeated excessive drinking AND have managed to build muscle. I have no doubt that my progress would be far superior had I not drank. When (if) I reach my forties though, I don't think that my body will magically just stop being able to build any muscle (which is your claim, that it's impossible without steroid use) even if it does become more of a challenge, or I hit a genetic limit.

Alcohol can lower testosterone level which can be a big hindrance, and it's ability to disrupt rest is very damaging. But if you partied hard in your twenties, and want to build muscle in your forties then no it is, of course not impossible to do so naturally, especially if the heavy drinking is in the past, as your bodies ability to heal itself and adapt to a new way of living is quite remarkable. Even if you have had very serious drinking problems, you can turn your life around, and your claims that it's impossible and too late are in direct contradiction of the science. Unless you have some research to back up your claims:

I checked, and I never implied or said it was impossible to build muscle.

But building a lot of lean muscle and maintaining it from a cold start, having spent your youth abusing your body, in your early 40s and maintaining it into your 50s, which is what RDJ has done, and doing it to the schedule required by a series of big budget movies is pretty loving close. Unless he's got some absolutely fantastically athletic genes that utterly failed to manifest in his 20s.

They're all on steroids, which is fine. Movie stars cheating to produce their exceptional physiques is not a reason for anybody to not look after themselves generally.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 3, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

I'm not sure how else to interpret this.

You're also not providing any evidence for your claims.

The study you provided gave a 2.4kg (roughly five pounds) increase in lean mass over 8 weeks. That was the higher end of gains. For Iron Man 2, he gained more than 20 pounds of lean muscle in 3 to 4 weeks at the age of 45 working out three times a week.

Looking after yourself later in life is great, but if you think that result is possible at that age, in that space of time, you're loving kidding.

EDIT: My mistake, it was actually three months. The first thing I read had the wrong timeframe.

That still doesn't make it plausible.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/iron-man-workout#2

Not the most scientific source, sorry. But, unless the numbers of his weight are completely fabricated, RDJ is on gear.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 3, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

That's not the claim I was arguing... you've moved the goalposts.

Robert Downey Jr. may well be on steroids - if you're sole claim was "I doubt what RDJ did for Iron Man 2 was done naturally" I probably wouldn't have taken issue with what you said.

Once more, I took issue with this:

Which is, for reasons I have explained, backed up by the study I posted and quite obvious if you think about it, wrong

Okay, I'll concede that the phrasing was ambiguous, if you assume that everyone that isn't you is a moron. The implication, which should have been pretty loving clear from context, was that 'building lean muscle as Robert Downey Jr, the subject of discussion has done, has a very small window in which you can do it naturally.'

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Most importantly, what the gently caress does any of this have to do with comic book movies, take it to YLLS or the TCC roid thread

Robert Downey Jr was in several comic book movies. You probably heard of a couple of them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Natural Born Killers is better than any marvel movie

So very true. It's a deleted scene, but Ashley Judd's scene in the courtroom is probably the best thing Stone filmed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All that muscle talk and still no explanation how the Avengers are not fascist.

They are. They are explicitly facist. They're certainly villains. Especially as of Spiderman Homecoming's opening.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

This is why i will never bother watching it

It's the most astoundingly nothing movie I've seen. The broader point about oversight makes no impact on the plot, but neither does the personal struggle between the two men, since Cap forgives him at the end.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Just have him kill corrupt cops and PMCs instead of street level petty criminals

This is more or less the theme of Ennis' incredibly bleak run. He just keeps killing his way up the food chain.

Seriously, it's great. It's fully aware of what a horrifying concept and nihilistic figure Frank is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's been talk of them wanting to ape Marvel. Now they can ape the 'enjoying it, but weeping for what could have been' aspect of the MCU.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I realize you're not arguing in good faith but CP's got a point, dude

people walking on eggshells regarding any ultra-hosed-up topic is kind of a new development

The rad thing about this is that literally everyone looks back at a slightly earlier time and is like "oh, people didn't get offended then."

I heard someone say that about the loving nineties, when the concept of political correctness, as it's now discussed, was actually crystallised. Mad Magazine did a thing on what a politically correct James Bond would be like where he can't say midget or Asian. It was exactly as funny as you're thinking it is. Brad Sherwood used to blame PCness whenever he hosed up a joke on Whose Line.

The thing we could be nostalgic for, if we were all about 60-70 years old, is the idea of us, as a society, having a cohesive, shared response to anything. Plenty of people have always been offended by jokes. It's just that the joke survives and can be viewed later, while the outrage doesn't.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 13, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Hangover 2 sure got away with a big one. And a "trans people are gross" one on top of that too.

I feel like Family Guy does these whenever they don't have any other ideas. So, like, a lot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

That second one sounds awesome tho

I always thought it was dark as a matter of being "mature" but in the way an adolescent boy would think is grown up and "deep" because life is poo poo and the good guys don't always win. Like needless gore and depressing crap happening etc.

I think it has its uses but a lot of times it gets overused to bash movies with the slightest bit of pathos. Like I don't understand how the xmen movies are in any way "grimdark"

Yeah, it's stuff like Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, which is a pretty straightforward fantasy story, but everyone's an rear end in a top hat, they swear and no one does anything sincerely. It's like an extremely cynical offshoot of post modernism. It's books and films that are terrified of sincerity, and so cover it up with violence, rape and violent rape.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's in my estimation two iconic Aquamen. The Momoa long haired badass warrior King, and the current comic one which is more of a King Arthur type figure working as a peacemaker and diplomat trying to reconcile two worlds.

That seems like a good fit for the beautiful caramel man. I always thought it was a pity he didn't get a better Conan movie, because, as bad as that movie was, he was a great fit for Conan. Now he gets to be Conan but underwater

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

Joe Abercrombie is not grimdark. Not saying it doesn't get grim sometimes but it has tons of humor cool inversions of the genre.

What inversions are there? Aside from 'everyone is bad instead of only one side being bad'?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

UmOk posted:

Inversion was probably the wrong word cause I don't talks no goods. I guess I mean it plays with conventions.

The brave noble knight who is actually a coward who only wins fights accidentally.
The kindly old wizard is actually a homicidal maniac with a temper.
The stoic warrior who wants to do good but tends to go into rages and kill his friends.
The hardened torturer actually has a heart.

I'm sure there's more but I haven't read it in a while.

Functionally, narratively, those things work exactly like the thing they're inverting. The noble knight still wins the tournament and leads his armies to victory, he's just a puppet. The wizard is still always right and defeats his rival. The stoic warrior still defeats his rivals and unites the north just in time to counter the invasion. It's just that nobody does anything sincerely and the book itself works hard to maintain a cynical detachment, but we still hit all the conventional beats of the story. He's a good writer, and I read five of his books before I got sick of his style, but it's cynical take on the same fairly standard story.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I could maybe see a Cinematography nomination, as it's a rather pretty movie. But there's no way in hell it would win. Blade Runner 2049 alone would kill it's chances, and I'm sure there are others I haven't seen.

Remember that Lord of the Rings 3, one of the most amazingly ponderous movies ever made, won best editing.

Get On Up, the James Brown biopic with almost pornographically recreated sound design, based on years of research and meticulous work, was not even nominated.

The Academy does not know what the gently caress it's looking at.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

He's really not and he's making good points. I agree with him about BvS and Lynch. Mullholland Drive is one of the worst "it's so hosed up, it must be genius" films I've ever seen - weird for the sake of being weird - and it's loving horrible. See also, Eyes Wide Shut and, for that matter, Naked Lunch since someone brought up Videodrome.

I like weird movies and I enjoy being intellectually challenged but when art gets into "you're just not smart enough to get it" territory, I check out. It's like certain aspects of modern art where someone squirts toothpaste in a shot glass or puts different colored bowling balls in a fishtank filled with 7-Up and if I call bullshit, I'm the plebe.

I have had BvS explained to me, and I even got a lot of it. I just thought it was poorly conveyed and the movie loving sucked. People saying "it's all right there!" are basically calling the majority of people saying "I don't see it" stupid even when they clearly point out the problems they have.

Mulholland Drive is an astoundingly simple film if you go into it with the slightest willingness to engage with it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

So when I rented it and sat down to watch it with an interest in David Lynch, you're saying that was an unwillingness to engage?

Edit: this is exactly the sort of smug attitude I was attempting to describe.

This is going to surprise you, but you can voluntarily watch a film without being willing to engage with it. I mean, if you actually want to talk about the film rather than our assumptions about each other's motives, let's do that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

So principal filming on this wrapped in October .... who wants to lay odds on how much reshooting they'll be doing in the wake of Justice League's reception and who wants to lay odds on the film not even being released?? :v:

They've got at least 4 other DCEU films in pretty deep pre-production which have been assigned release dates, at least 8 more films in development that have had directors, writers and producers attached to them and at least another half dozen that are in the early planning stages. Everyone involved must be pretty loving nervous right about now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe#Upcoming

Wonder Woman just made a bajillion dollars. Everything else they've released has done really well. Justice League is the first real hiccup, and it's got some pretty specific asterixes over it. How the gently caress does everyone in this thread have such a bad memory?

And why would they not release it? The gently caress is this post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

'Hiccup'. :rolleyes:

They hosed up really, really badly.

And that doesn't establish a pattern. Everyone was banging on about how BvS meant the end of the DCEU, only for SS and WW to massively outperform expectations.

poo poo, almost like extrapolating from individual data points is a bad idea.

• Locked thread