Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Slugworth posted:

I actually really liked Coulson? He's a pretty strong supporting character (And as it turns out, not so great of a leading character on AoS).
Its funny that Joss' brother has done a much better job with a Marvel property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

parallelodad posted:

It's pretty good. It's gotten better as they've given up being a real part of the MCU and started telling their own stories. Likable characters, good intrigue, and most of all, Ward.
Yeah, plus I've been on the TVIV thread since the beginning of the show and I think watching the show live with the thread has helped my opinion on it along with what you said.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The MSJ posted:

I saw an article saying The Rock's response to Baywatch reviews sounds like Trump complaining about the media. He did say he wants to run for President.
Its not really shocking since Rock is a Republican too

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Equeen posted:

not quite CBM related, but Adam West is dead :smith:

Beware the Grey Ghost is probably my favorite BTAS episode so I'm pretty bummed out today :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was basically saying, "Why did they let me make it if they are just going to ignore it?"
Which is funny because AOU seemed to ignore most if not all the character development from Winter Soldier.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

If there's one character I hate more than Jason Todd, it's Superboy Whine Prime.
"I'll kill you, I'll kill you to death" will always make me laugh

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

Wakanda is essentially what happens when an isolationist african nation, isn't interfered with by European or any foreign interests, and thus advances technology, and culturally without any outside influences.

Now toss in a magic metal which supercharges their technology past anything in the outside world.
Basically its like Ethiopia in that it was able to fight back European colonialism except with magic metal.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Oh gently caress I want Kraven in Homecoming 2
He better have his airbrushed van too

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I can't remember what the knowledge driving him crazy ended up being, I think it was the location of an underground ancient Inhuman city, which; once found, his brain went back to normal.
Yeah it was because the Kree blood gave him a desire to draw the map of a city which had been the cause of all the insanity for the test subjects except for one, who used these urges to create a 3D sheet metal blueprint of the city which allowed him to stay sane and once Coulson saw this the urges went away.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

This is kind of incredible because it's a major plot point in Civil War that Tony Stark is working on a way to edit and replace memories in this manner. All he had to do was ask Nick.
I don't know if Tony would like having the top of his skull removed and having lasers shot into his brain

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, Guardians 2 was crazy. Five stinger scenes!?!?
Eh I don't mind them, honestly I like that Marvel adds stinger scenes since it forces people to see how many people worked to make the movie, that's probably not the original intent, but just my own personal observation

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

You know people are going to complain about these movies being overstuffed with characters, but really I'm all for it, hell make it six hours I have nothing else to do on Saturday mornings

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Vishass posted:

They probably know they're sitting on a shitload of money since Dr Doom is worth like a phase of marvel movies along with Annhilus/Galactus being worth at the least a GotG movie or two. Hoping to wait Disney out while they burn through Thanos and maybe try to come up with a good Kang story that isn't mind boggling.
Fox also has the rights to Kang

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mr President posted:

Marvel panel is live

Captain Marvel takes place in the 90s, she fights the skrulls and super skrull, she fights the kree too. nick fury has TWO eyes
Ant man: Laurence Fishbourne is Goliath and Michelle Phiffer is playing the wasp!
Also Michael Pena is there recapping the entire MCU at this point

Also have a Russian version of the new Thor trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47zRs6SPZM

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I appreciate this poster's message, that deep down we all have a little Jeff Goldblum within us

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

I feel like a loving idiot for thinking Thor 3 looks really, really good. Like, I've been burned twice and I'm definitely going back.
Iirc Taika has said he didn't watch any of the previous Thor movies while prepare to make Thor 3; I do like how this movie is adding more of the mythological aspects into Thor (ie Valkyries riding winged horses, Fenris, and Sutur)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

So Clancy Brown is voicing Sutur in Thor 3 so I have no idea who Sam Neill is playing, I'm going to guess a hobo hanging out with Odin on Earth at this point

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Cast of Black Panther goes nuts after seeing finished footage of the film for the first time.

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/8...r%3D432%23pti32
Meanwhile the cast of both Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Serf posted:

The Ultimates 2 gave us this. It is a comic where Captain America's nemesis is a kid from a Middle Eastern country that was invaded by America/the Ultimates and who now wants revenge and got the super-soldier treatment too. He is unironically the bad guy and is defeated by getting his hands cut off by Cap's shield. All of this is done without a hint of self-awareness.
Good thing Ed Brubaker came up with a good response to it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Burkion posted:

Honestly I liked the first movie a lot more than the comics from the same period of the story.

I couldn't tell you why right now don't remember either too well
I liked the animated movies as well, I'm still disappointed that Amazing Screw on head never got picked up :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/902306249575763970
Man this is going to hang a cloud over enjoying Deadpool 2 knowing they pulled a Landis

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

As a childhood Fantastic Four fan my take on Reed and the Fantastic Four is basically that the only thing keeping Reed from becoming a "greater good" villain like his ex buddy Doctor Doom is his family. If Sue, Ben, Johnny, and the kids aren't there to ground him and make him occasionally remember about people and ethical problems he'd easily go off the reservation. Doom's origin is basically that he's willing to risk anything and literally go to Hell to get his mother back and Reed's is that he'd probably do the same if he ever lost the people he loved. Maybe even be worse.

I don't know if that was the original plan with Reed when he was written as the guy who endangers the people who love and trust him the most by doing an unsafe thing because he's so sure he's smarter than everyone else and then being a dick about his name, but I think it definitely became the idea of Reed somewhere around the 3rd, 4th, or 10th time they introduced an alternate reality version of him that was a villain.

Or sometime around him becoming part of the Illuminati and shooting people into space.
You'd love Hickman's run of FF then, hell Hickman's run on everything was pretty great in Marvel, shame they burned all the goodwill they built up Secret Wars with Civil War II and Secret Empire

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

I want a Sandman series dammit
Same my friend, though I don't know how you can do a live action version; gently caress it have Bryan Fuller do it after he's done with American Gods

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, I think the MCU Punisher is fine, but the comics absolutely need to play with this a little.
Just have him kill corrupt cops and PMCs instead of street level petty criminals

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Burkion posted:

It's almost like you could have partnered up with literally any company that actually focuses on that instead of these fuckheads.

"No, no, we wanted to team up with the KKK because we wanted to explore the deep, rich history of the united states!"
Yeah if they wanted to teach kids STEM they could have just partnered up with I don't know NASA or hell I would take Elon Musk and his dumb bullshit over war profiteers

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Nah not even Elon Musk.
Yeah its hard to think of any good STEM focused private companies because wouldn't you know they are run cold sociopaths and workers are treated like garbage.

But yeah stuff like NASA or NSF could have been made with no backlash whatsoever except for I don't know flat earthers and climate change denialists who say that NSF bribes scientists with funds to make up bullshit data.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

We need to keep taking pills instead facing the reality of the world around us so we don't go insane and murder people
Appropriately enough that host of Venom is an army vet who got his legs blown off

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Justice League used him well as a mix of 'the outsider' (given he's the only proper alien on the team who isn't really at home on Earth, compared to Superman being raised there and Hawgirl... well, she's another story) and basically the team's psychic, since DC is actually pretty scarce on heroic characters with pstandard psychic powers. That and the shapeshifting and phasing, his strength tends to be more 'Oh yeah, he can do that too'. He's the tricksy one. The cartoon also differentiated him by having him be the last Martian, the rest being extinct. (Comparisons to Superman were indeed brought up)
And yet for how OP MM is there is a pretty long supercut of him getting electrocuted and groaning and fainting since the writers clearly didn't know how to write around the fact that MM could solve everything.

One of my favorite JL episodes has to be the christmas episode where Clark takes him for Christmas Dinner with the Kents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZV4EL5wjC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcT_A0H_SFc

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I always found the old Romero movies to be kinda slow and boring. It always pays off though once they do that shot where a bunch of zombies rip apart someone's guts while they are awake to watch.
The commentary much like the MCU's quips are on point though; Romero's career is kind of depressing though considering he could have been so much more than just the godfather of zombie movies, I mean people barely know about the movie he considers his best, Martin.

As for better zombie movies than Snyder's Dawn of the Dead I would go with Shaun of the Dead.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Spacebump posted:

That's why other Flashs and Green Lanterns are cooler characters than those two.
Yeah Wally is a much better Flash and its really no contest, but that's probably nostalgia talking

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

He had a big line for Steel City Con, mostly of Walking Dead fans too. He had to be on something because he was really energetic and loopy, wearing sunglasses indoors, writing a love letter on one of the female guests autograph photos, and saying dirty jokes with kids around as his handler just facepalmed and went "Oh god". Really nice guy though, it was nice to see one of the options for the photos for him to autograph was Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's Snyder, I think. He loves all these stories and wants to direct as many of them as possible. That's why his Superman movie is Superman 1 + Superman 2 put together.
I can't really fault him for this, I mean if I had talent and wanted to direct a Superman movie it would just be a really condensed version of Superman TAS, then in the Batman vs Supes meet up movie I would directly adapt World's Finest Parts 1 & 2 and then for Justice League I would just adapt the pilot of Justice League.

CelticPredator posted:

It's fine to trust critics when it comes to going to a theater. Which includes paying for the gas, and the ticket. Food/drink/candy is optional, but still. You're looking at a 20-30$ night just to see something you may not like for 2 hours. Plus lovely audience members around you talking and being entitled pieces of poo poo.

If seeing films isn't your passion, that could seem like a real chore to do.

And hey, you can always catch it later at your house on Redbox, and maybe you'll enjoy it! Who knows!
This is why I trying watching all my movies Saturday morning or at a Midnight screening when a big release is debuting (ie how I watched Logan Lucky with my brother by ourselves while everyone was watching it), only time I don't really care is for Marvel movies or if it is something special like going to a 60 year old 4 screen theater to see Bladerunner 2049.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Timby posted:

He's made an impressive turnaround, considering how terrible he was early in his career.
Its kind of crazy that the role I first remember him in was a terrible retelling of Theseus vs the Minotaur on the Sci-Fi channel

• Locked thread