Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i'm loving jazzed that this game unlocks at 3p PST in the US. this is going to be the only redeeming thing about getting a tonsillectomy over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Earwicker posted:

These games absolutely "work inside their own universe" without consulting wikis etc in the same sense that a game like nethack does. its totally possible but you have to be very patient and very attentive to detail.

yes and no. something like adaptability and attunement increasing your agility, and then realizing that there's certain agility breakpoints where you get more iframes on your roll, or that you drink estus faster, or etc. are not things that the average player is likely to ever notice on their own.

now stuff like "should i answer yes or no to the NPC who asks me X Y Z" you could reasonably expect the player to be able to figure out, although again, with DS1 the pyromancer actually worded his question so that you would answer it the opposite of what you might intend if you actually wanted to buy poo poo from him.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i'm mostly not digging the way the gui feels like it went back to demon's souls. it's hard to explain, but everything seems all minimalist, like the health and mana bars are really small and they don't seem to give any marker or indication of your general health level. also, i died to the very first boss and when i came back i was not beef jerky man and it didn't look like my health was any lower. i assume that's just a perk of the training area?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GreyPowerVan posted:

yeah i wish invading was random and not "prefers invading people who have phantoms"

that and matching the invader and invadee equip levels were some pretty basic ways to prevent SL1 dickwraiths, which was something that was hilarious to do, and something that few very people enjoyed having done to them.

i feel like poise is going to be relevant again? started as deprived, and if a monster tags me with one hit, i don't have the ability to roll away, they just get to unload their entire combo. made the first boss a game of rocket tag, especially with his double lunge thrust thing. it seems like in ds1 & 2 you had a quick window of time where, unless you were completely poise broken, you could always start a roll after taking a hit, but this time around if something hits me i'm eating the two or three stabs.

also lol they removed the ds2 qol change of being able to use multiple quantities of stackable items for what reason? oh no see it makes sense to have to manually eat 8 Deprived Souls one at a time in TYOOL 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the knights that look like a cross between the fluted armor from demon's souls and the alva armor from DS2 are completely pushing my poo poo in. if they tag me with any part of their combo, it seems like i'm instantly poise-broken and they just unload into me. i also had one of the sword wielding ones almost dead, i roll past him, and he two-hands his sword and does this huge chop as i come out of my roll that does 75% of my health and one-shots me.

between those fully armored knights and the dark monsters, what's the best way for dealing with all this stuff that seems to be able to kill you with 1 hit? i know the firebombs that get littered everywhere are for the dark monsters, but honestly i've just started running past them, because there's no way they're worth the effort it's taking me to try and down one of them. everything feels like rocket tag, except i am armed with a pea shooter, and while i keep chip chip chipping away, any single enemy is one hit away from just pasting me across the castle.

it seems to me that the loss of being able to dual wield whatever weapons you want was also a dumb idea.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

The Shortest Path posted:

How am I supposed to kill these blob things on the high wall? They oneshot me from full health and I cannot kill them in a full stamina bar, so it just ends up with me inevitably trying to dodge and poke which fails horrifically since their attacks are large and occasionally frequent.

if you are bad at the game like me (or picked depraved like me and are hesitant to level up because you fear picking the wrong choices oh god) you'd be surprised how many monsters you can just run past / away from and they don't aggro you through the whole level.

i'm only in the high wall area myself, but off the top of my head, you can run from both black blob hollows. the first one is only guarding some basic loot, and the second one takes long enough to transform that you can find the ladder to the next section without loving with it.

likewise, i've been able to run past all of the silver knights except the very first one after the dragon fire gauntlet, and only him because he runs out the door all happy to see you. the spear & shield one under the second black blob hollow you can run around and he didn't follow me down into the next building, and the three that are patrolling in front of the important looking castle can't actually fit inside the door, so if you run / roll past them, they just go back to patrolling. then, you can run past them again to fight the second boss, and after that you don't really have to deal with them again in high wall.

you can also just run around the fatty blue halberd knight in the bloody courtyard. he's also pretty easy to take out with ranged attacks, but if you don't want to bother, you can just run past him.

i think playing DS2 for hundreds of hours and trying to keep my SM as low as possible taught me to try and avoid as many superfluous monsters as i could, so now i'm just curious about how many things i can actually run past with no consequence.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if anyone if having trouble with the dogs that wander around, any amount of fire damage causes them to roll on their backs "to put it out" for like a solid 5 seconds or so. basically enough time that you can run up and finish them off. if you don't have fire bombs and aren't a pyromancer, putting a fire enchant on your weapon does the same thing (make sure you're aware of the drawbacks of putting fire on a weapon before doing it willy nilly). between the dogs and the black blob hollows it's looking like fire damage is a pretty significant thing in this game.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i used all 5 of the starting cracked red eye orbs and i was very surprised to learn that evidently everyone plays this game with 2 buddy phantoms at all times. getting stomped 3v1 is whatever, but i am amazed that so many people prefer to roll through the game the first time with +2 people watching their back instead of digging through the dungeons on their own. i always felt like white phantoms were more frustrating than useful in ds1/ds2 because they were either people who already memorized the level and ran through flipping all the switches and killing everything for you, which completely removed all the challenge, or they were complete idiots that would just die immediately to the first monster that showed up.

i think about 90% of my enjoyment is figuring out and mastering the content based on my own skill, so it's really weird to me that many more people than i would have guessed are running around with 2 extra buddies at all times.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Andrast posted:

You are only invading people who have used an ember and a disproportionately large portion of those are people who coop since you need to be embered to summon.

that's actually a great point and i didn't even think of it like that til you said it. i am used to DS2/SotFS style invasions where anyone can be invaded at any time whether hollow or human or whatever. i forgot that DS1 style was that you had to unhollow (or turn into the Host of Cinder) to even summon people. makes sense then it would be very unlikely to run into someone who is Host of Cinder but not bringing phantoms along.

pmchem posted:

I feel no pity for you or anyone like you. A lot of people just want to have fun with jolly co-operation at release, and people like the guy named 'Hitler' that just came in and stood by a miniboss waiting for me to progress last night are annoying trolls that deserve every 1v3 they face. It's actually quite fun to fool around with or as a white phantom early in DS3 when people have no idea what's going on. It's rewarding to help each other out and you can still lead the exploration if you prefer, too. Praise the Sun.

Also, I read that invasion mechanics prioritize invading people with more phantoms first, so that's why you're getting so many 1v3's. But, does reading it in spoilers instead of figuring that out on your own detract from your enjoyment? Philosophical question...

:qq:

sorry hitler ruined your night? i was more surprised at how many people were doing the whole game co-op mode, but keep raging all you need if hitler hurt your feelings

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Funkmaster General posted:

The mound makers covenant is a really cool idea with one major issue keeping it from working in practice: there's no reason for a purple phantom to help the host. In theory, purple phantoms are a mixed bag that can help the host or murder him, act as a white or red phantom, etc. However, the purple phantom gets covenant rewards only for killing the host or killing white/blue phantoms, and gets no benefit for killing regular enemies or even red or other purple phantoms. They also cannot enter fog gates, so they cannot help fight bosses (which would almost negate the purpose anyway since 90% of non-japanese players summon only for boss fights and not full area runs) or do the obvious-but-still-funny thing of killing the host just before they defeat the boss.

In practice it's just a different, albeit cooler, color to take on for invasions, with the added benefit that some players might summon you on their own because they don't know what a purple phantom is or don't realize that you aren't rewarded for doing anything but killing them.

since you can get an infinite use invasion item without having to go into any covenant at all, does being in a covenant just change the color of phantom you present when you do invade someone? i.e. if i am in pound mound and i use the REO do i invade purple? and likewise i drop purple summon signs with the white soapstone? can i invade golden with the jolly co-op covenant if i use the REO?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dandywalken posted:

There any trick to the bigass "I"VE GOT A 2 MAN SAW... BUT I'M A SINGLE MAN" lumberjack dudes in Undead town? Or just gotta take em slow?

keep in mind they have way more stamina (assuming enemies have stamina) than most other foes, so they will swing those loving saws like 6 or 7 times before running out of steam. the first time i fought one i counted three swings and then stepped in to stab him and boy did i learn a lesson! also, same thing with their crushing move, they will crush between 1 - 4 times before it's really "safe" to get too close to them.

has anyone else noticed that all of the bloodstain ghosts don't have any animations? like, they're all stuck in the default 3D poser T-shape (like jesus on a cross) and they just glide around the area willy nilly, and they don't have a death animation, they just disappear. this is happening across multiple zones now. at first i thought maybe one guy was a hacker, but i no longer see regular death ghosts from bloodstains and it's weird as hell.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

homeless poster posted:

has anyone else noticed that all of the bloodstain ghosts don't have any animations? like, they're all stuck in the default 3D poser T-shape (like jesus on a cross) and they just glide around the area willy nilly, and they don't have a death animation, they just disappear. this is happening across multiple zones now. at first i thought maybe one guy was a hacker, but i no longer see regular death ghosts from bloodstains and it's weird as hell.

okay it's now all other human NPCs. the last three times i invaded someone, the host and his phantoms would were still like statues and their models just floated around the map. they still had sound effects like running or rolling or swinging weapons, and i was still getting hit or backstabbed or whatever, but my computer doesn't give any visual indication of what other people are doing in game. am i the first person to hit this bug or is there some kind of easy fix that someone can share? it's so weird to watch; it's like a bunch of mimes that are not bound by gravity or friction sliding all over a map and then inexplicably one of them does a death scream and just fades out.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im trying to make a miracle woman as my first character, when are all these points in faith actually going to start paying dividends? Right now I'm just smacking things with my dark axe, would like to cast something that actually hurts for once.

i don't think you're the right build for that. miracles are mostly healing / buffing. there's some lightning spells, but none of them are before the midpoint of the game (that i know how to get). you probably want to do sorcery or pyro if you want to be a zappy shooty woman.

BlackFrost posted:

So is it just impossible to invade someone if they're by themselves? I don't summon much and haven't been invaded a single time. I just tried to invade five times and each time was against a team of three people, which isn't even remotely fun.

right now it's really unlikely for a lot of reasons. you have to be human (or embered or whatever) to be an invasion target, and right now the only people who are consciously doing that are either doing it on purpose to co-op with friends, or they're doing it because they can't beat something solo and so again they're looking for help. on top of that, the matchmaking is setup to assign invaders to other games with more people before it gives you over to a solo player, so the odds of you getting the drop on someone without at least one buddy is low.

give the game a week or two to die down in popularity? right now almost everyone is low level, so it's trivial to find low level help, and if you're doing low level invasions you're also going to run into a lot of 3v1 scenarios.

i'm still trying to figure out what the non-antagonistic purpose of team pound mound is. you can't help with bosses, and unless the person seeing your summon sign is truly playing the game with no outside info, they either have no reason to summon you, or no reason not to just immediately jump you once you're summoned.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

GreatGreen posted:

So I have a question. Is it actually possible to beat the second phase of the Abyss Watchers fight?

Because I don't think it is. If so though, how the hell do you even start to fight a guy with a fire sword and apparently infinite stamina who literally does not stop attacking ever?

try co-operation...

also does the watch dogs covenant do anything? i alternated between that and the blue cops for a 5 hour play session and got gently caress-all for summons. is pvp not happening unless i am personally invading? i loving know there's some 3v1 bullshit waiting for me in that situation! how is it that i can invade into a pile of white phantoms, but the actual pvp covenants don't seem to do poo poo?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

f#a# posted:

Gundyr is easy enough as Deprived. The Lothric Knights, though...made me reroll a Knight.

starting as deprived is great because it teaches you that you don't need to actually fight every monster and hey maybe avoiding / running past monsters is a valid option and then you try it and then it works and then you add that to your skill list for the rest of the game.

then later in the game when you really realize there's zero penalty for dying, every time you get to a new area you do a couple suicide runs for all the loot, then another suicide run or two to learn the fastest route to the boss door, and then however many runs it takes to beat the boss. repeat ad nauseam for the rest of the game. seriously i haven't bothered to kill any regular monsters since the road of sacrifice and it's enhanced my experience 100%, and i strongly recommend you do this at least for the very tired blight town 3.0 zone that i guess miyazaki is forced to include in each game under penalty of death or something.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also maybe version matters? I bluecop constantly but am on console rather than PC

i am on pc with cross-region enabled and i promise that blue cop and wolf boys get no hits. it's so disappointing.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RBA Starblade posted:

He respawns don't worry, but examine his cage later.

specifically examine his cage before you even challenge the area boss once (win or lose) or else you lock yourself out of joining a covenant until much later in the game.

if you care to spoil yourself it's the purple mound builders.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

oh my god i was wrong about pvp this whole time. you just need to be in the purple pound mounds and go to the sacrifice road and go to the third bonfire (the one in the swamp proper) and then use your REO. i was getting invasions almost instantly every time, and getting a ton of 1v1 action. also, by that point in the game, you can also get fun stuff like blue cops and wolf boys up in the mix, and you're all chasing each other around this giant loving swamp! the only thing i don't like is that the game considers the normal swamp and the poison swamp to be one continuous zone so if the host decides to transition from one area to the other and you haven't found them yet, good fuckin luck the areas are huge. one time i found out that the host had moved to the lower, poison swamp because we all got the cutscene for him extinguishing one of the torches for the door!

my favorite fight that i won was a 2v1 that went longer than 15 minutes where i just kept wearing down the host and his sunbro, going guerilla style in and out of the swamp and trying to get them to aggro anything else that i could, and finally once they had burned all their estus and miracles i was able to swoop in while they were fighting a pack of those tree-pole hollows and kill the host. totally worth it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

double nine posted:

PvP talk - has anyone had succes on low-level characters invading? All I've found is babbies who have 1 or 2 white phantom meatshields (and I'm not effective enough to get around those).

don't waste your time right now. low-level invasion is really friendly towards the defender and the game is new enough that there's no lack of low level people throwing down summon signs to get cinders or sunlight tokens or whatever. wait a little longer and then start invading around sacrifice road or beyond - the areas are much more open which makes it much easier to pull shenanigans and there's far fewer people throwing down piles of signs, so you get less 3v1 stomps.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Nuggan posted:

Does hollowing affect your multiplayer ability? I've heard both yes and no.

i've looked online too and there's not a ton of info about what hollowing does; it's possible it does next to nothing outside one NPC's plot (and ending) and one type of weapon enchant. the hollow enchant gives you a bonus to your Luck if you have greater than 15 hollow but nobody is listing a specific amount. as far as pvp goes, it doesn't seem to change anything. you have to be cinder form to summon others, but you do not have to be cinder form to invade or be summoned by the pve/pvp covenants, and i don't think hollowing changes that (or if it does, nobody had related that online in any measurable way yet).

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

cathedral of the deep is loving video game vietnam. the entire run from the starting bonfire, up through the maggot graveyard, up across the entire roof of the building, down into the chapel, and far enough in that you can find an elevator that loops you back to the bonfire you started at was supremely unfun. it was just a boring checklist of bullshit:

did you bring a bow and x99 arrows?
are you willing to move forward in zoom mode 1 inch at a time, scouring the underside of every wall and tower and archway to make sure you're picking off the gremlins before they drop on you?
hey it was a pretty cool surprise when they did that a few times in the undead village right, so it must be super cool if we do it every 10 feet of the loving roof of this castle!
literally every enemy that is visible has between 1 and 4 buddies positioned in such a way that no camera angle will reveal them on approach, but trust us they're waiting for you. this is tactic is never not used, so it's never actually a surprise, and it never messes with your expectations, because it happens with every encounter.
seriously, if you think you're going to move faster than a methodical crawl, joke's on you! a shield is optional, because there's enough trash monsters here to stamina drain you anyway.
BONUS: none of the loot is noteworthy or even worth risking the effort to take. we've made sure of that!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

for anyone having trouble with the skeletons in the catacombs, i noticed that weapons that deal strike damage tend to splinter the skeletons on the first hit, and you can keep whacking them while they reform, and kill them before they can do anything about it. this seemed to work on all types of skeletons (even the more advanced ones with better weapons / moves). also, you can tell if a skeleton is really dead or not if it gives you souls, so if you "kill" one and your soul counter doesn't change, don't go running off, because it's going to get back up in about six seconds and run at you again - the good news is that every skeleton only needs to be killed twice.

the indiana jones traps hurt all of the enemies in the catacombs too, so use that to your advantage. the invader that comes after the second boulder if you are in ember form is especially less threatening if you fight him in the boulder path and just roll back & forth while the boulder makes the loops and let it slowly flatten him. if you fight him again later in the boiling lake zone, you'll encounter him very near a lava pit, and it's an instant kill if you can maneuver him over to it and knock him in.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah I did that. Was just referring to the ruins area.

there's a poo poo-ton of fake walls and stuff to find, not to mention items sitting in the loving lava though, so being thorough about getting everything takes some persistence. it is ultimately an optional / dead-end zone though, and if you aren't interested in pyromancy it's arguably skippable.

also purple invasions continue to be the best thing in the world. even the 2v1 or 3v1 situations aren't so bad once you get out of the high wall zone and your gear and build options open up and you can lead people around on a merry little chase and let the local fauna do some of the lifting. best fight of the night so far was a 3v1 in the chapel where i had to run the long way (up thru graveyard and across roof and back down inside) to catch up to a team of three and i caught them by the second giant and managed to kill both phantoms by wading into the poo poo under the giant and letting him tank their hits. feels good man. :getin:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tarantula posted:

Well that's disappointing i'm sucking bad on the Deacons fight.

that fight is not a bad area to bring a weapon that does a wide arc with each swing (like a great sword) so that you're smacking multiple deacons with each swing. narrow poke weapons like a spear or a rapier are not as good for that fight because they let the rest of the pack swarm around you while you're trying to stab the red ghost deacon.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tarantula posted:

Yea I've gotten the fight down to 1/3 of it's health a couple times and just get unlucky with some of the fireballs/curseballs (?), also I'm not very good at these types of games too ha (which is why I love it dark souls such a great challenge).

if you didn't know, the second phase can also heal itself, so if you get a couple smacks in and then have to pull back and heal or whatever, it can actually recover its own health, which is super frustrating. it's also not a bad area to pick up at least one other phantom so that you can keep the pressure on the second phase

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tiler Kiwi posted:

attn: dude who i am invading

i am waiting on top of the ladder at the end of the level. i know i made you waste five estuses even with your wierd dumb phantom buddy who was really bad at playing defense

you have not moved from spawn in around twenty minutes. i made some tea and i am now going to take a shower while it cools off.

i have noted that you have dismissed your phantom pal and then resummoned him, presumably as part of a clever ploy. this is a dance with which i can guess that you are well practiced, but i have two monitors and thus am impervious to your tactics.

your move, creep.

i've noticed a lot of people who get invaded are very happy to try and just sit at a bonfire and hope you go away for eternity rather than engage you, and you really have to work at pissing them off enough to get them to chase you or otherwise do something. if they do summon phantoms, the phantoms also do not want to engage you past the host, so you get this group of 2-4 people all huddled around a bonfire, abjectly terrified of having to engage 1 person, when in all likelihood they could very easily overwhelm you in short order.

then, when they finally do creep out as a squad, they get immediately distracted by the first pack of monsters or whatever, forget they're supposed to be protecting the host, and you can just run past them and backstab the host to death. it makes no sense.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm getting really bored of straight swords, I'm not a huge fan of the super slow greataxes / UGS either, anyone got some good recommendations for weapons I might try out? I used to love GS in the previous games but the damage output compared to straight swords is just horrible.

even between heavy weapons they all have different swing speeds for their attack patterns (for example the black knight weapons feel especially slow). try out a few that seem cool and you'll be surprised. although heavy hammers and axes tend to favor strength almost exclusively, there's a few greatswords that favor dex, so you can even mess around with that.

other weapons entirely, the butcher knife is cool & good and starts w/ A STR scaling, and the bandit axe is also a good axe that isn't a heavy axe if you don't want to deal with that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RBA Starblade posted:

Where should I put my sign down for Abyss Watcher fighting? The bonfires aren't working, people just go fight the giant mages instead.

either the bonfire that is much closer to AW or closer to their fog wall? if you're putting your sign at either of the 3 bonfires on the road of sacrifices or the upper crab swamp, it's not surprising people might juke you out for the crystal sages.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

finished grinding out purple mound invasions for the max covenant pyro reward, and i actually think the mask you get from pickle pete the crow with your 31st pelvis bone is the real max rank reward.

overall the purple invasions are a lot more fun and a lot less work than i was expecting. just don't do them all in one sitting because that would be maddening, and try not to do them in a huge zone because that sucks too. people are going to summon other phantoms almost immediately as soon as you pop in, but keep in mind if it's 2v1 you "win" no matter which person you kill, and the host will generally do a lot less work protecting the summon, so often if you go after the phantom you can get an easy kill. also people will heal, no big deal, use your undead hunter charms if it bothers you that much, or just punish their heal with your weapon's heavy attack or kick them or whatever.

one thing that was weird, it seemed like certain monsters would still damage me even as a purple invader (which they are not supposed to do afaik). they wouldn't target me per se, but if i happened to be in range of their attack while pursuing the host, i would still take damage. specifically, the grave wardens and the giants in the chapel area would both deal damage to me if i got too close to their attacks. is this a bug or are those two enemy types special or something? they're the only two that i've noticed can damage an invading purple phantom.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also what is the deal with Mound Makers sometimes wanting you to kill multiple phantoms for your vertebrae? They wanted 3 phantoms dead in that match, which is kinda ridiculous.

mad phantoms must kill everyone else in the world, or the host, you pick. if you don't want to kill 3 other phantoms, i guess you'd better kill the host.

if you're mad about the host making the odds 3v1 mad phantoms might not be for you. 90% of the time the host will do this as soon as you pop into his/her game. it's a pretty great rush when you win a 2 or 3v1 match-up, because you only have to kill the host.

fwiw if you learn the zone you're invading you can turn a 3v1 into a very manageable encounter - just lead them into a narrow hallway or stairwell or something that funnels them into more of a straight line. they can't clip thru each other, but if you use a big enough weapon, you can sometimes smack 2 or 3 of them at once! also the host is notoriously bad at protecting the phantoms, so if you go after them first you will usually kill them and get your win and the host won't do poo poo to stop you because they are expecting you to go after them.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Section Z posted:

"Hmm, I'm at full health, but I'm not sure if I can quite survive this fall. Better use a prism stone. Oh good, it landed intact with a clank so I should barely survive like the last three times I've done this"

You Died

Prism Stone, I thought we were bros?

i had no idea that was a thing. is that a thing, that a prism stone can gauge if you can survive a fall?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The lake? Yeah I discovered that back when it was relevant. Oh! But I never did deal with that ballista, couldn't find a way up.

if you beat the area boss behind the lightning worm then turning off the ballista isn't really a big deal, unless you're trying to get some of the "all pyro spells" achievement, because you have to explore the demon ruins pretty thoroughly to find the path back up to the ballista, and there's several pyro spells scattered throughout the area

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Decrepus posted:

Thanks, I will push through it then. I figured it would have been further.

just beware that joining the covenant that allows you to respec and actually using said covenant item to respec will permanently make one of your firelink NPCs hostile for the current playthrough. it's the lady who is a member of the darkmoon blades. so think about whether you care about that or not before you respec. in general this game is not so punishingly brutal that a few points that weren't spent 100% optimally won't break your ability to beat the game, just roll with it.

on a different note, what on earth is the typical strategy for beating the two wolf-lizards at the bottom of the ladder before the faithful covenant after the pontiff? i can pull just one or the other no problem, but the space you have to fight them in is so small, the camera goes bonkers and their attacks seem to just clip through geometry and they eat me for breakfast before i ever move on to the second one. what are people doing to make this easier?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

hoo boy after having to get gud enough to grind out 30 pelvis bones for the purple invasion pvp, where the baseline encounter is 2v1 against you, switching into the aldritch pvp is like a loving cakewalk, because the baseline flips to 2v1 in your favor. i think in at least 8/10 aldritch invasions i've done there's already another aldritch invader, and it makes the whole thing super simple. i have to imagine anyone who wants to max out this covenant could do so easily, because it really heavily favors the invaders.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ShadowMar posted:

a lot of poo poo needs to get buffed but the estoc r1 spam desperately needs to get nerfed because having to rely on janky rear end online parries to be able to do anything against that poo poo is garbage.

stack poise > use a heavy weapon (great sword, etc.) > learn where your hyper armor starts in your attack > walk into the poke and smash their stupid faces in :getin:

also the dacing queen has cost me the most deaths bar none. i've got to the point where i can get her to second phase pretty much 100% percent of the time, but i just can't seem to find a safe time to attack second phase. i once got her health down to "of" in her name, but that's the best i've done. as a melee dude, when is it safe to actually smack her in phase 2?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's a ton of fun Darkmooning it up in Irithyll. I hope there's some way to get it working for everyone soon because it's the best poo poo.

when i found the aldritch covenant, i literally could not climb the ladder out of that place without being summoned to invade. 10 invasions in a row for my first 10 dregs, and every time i got back to my world, i could not get my guy up the ladder back to londor before i would be asked to invade again.

i maxed out the purple invader covenant and i never had to wait more than 30 seconds to get a hit. no problem invading whatsoever.

otoh i have worn both bluebro covenants and the wolf covenant for some combination of 20 hours across multiple zones / character levels / equipment levels and i have never once ever been summoned to help someone. i have no idea what sorcery is actually required to be summoned as bluebro / darkmoon / wolfboy but apparently it's not in the cards for me for darksouls 3. the frustrating thing is that this gates off two cheevos, because you need the darkmoon to get the miracle cheevo, and that to get the "every other cheevo" one

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zaphod42 posted:

Wolves at least that makes sense, nobody goes back to Farron after they're at a certain level.

wasn't wolves supposed to be (in theory) like the forest cat covenant in DS1? how did they gently caress it up so bad? only people of a certain SL were ever going thru the garden to fight Sif, but there was a ton of action with the cat covenant. i don't remember, but could you get invaded by the cat covenant without having to be human form? i guess that could be a big difference, since in this you have to be in ember mode to get any invasion style PVP hits.

i guess it also doesn't help that the garden in DS1 was a cool, mysterious area that had great ambiance, and farron's is loving blight town 3.0. i guess i can see why everyone is like "get me through here and gently caress if i am ever coming back for any reason"

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

WaltherFeng posted:

The greatest invasion I've done. I love this stupid game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gC08c6Y8uY

l love that rather than just fight the boss and send you back to your world, all three of them decided it was a better idea to leap to their deaths. they were literally standing in front of the fog wall!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cyberventurer posted:

How is everyone else's success rate when they try to PVP? Because I think I've gotten 1 kill in the last 20 invasions, and that one wasn't even really my fault. I was hyped up when I started but the constant stream of failures is being a buzzkill. :(

you're kind of at a disadvantage because the host is in cinder mode so they have 40% more health than you and 2x as much estus and they will likely have 1-3 phantoms on their side as well. you have to learn what kind of stuff people don't look for and exploit that, because rushing head first into a 3v1 is guaranteed to end in failure. assuming you're doing it purple, keep in mind you can kill host phantoms and get credit just as easy as the host, and the host will usually not go out of their way to protect the phantoms, so sometimes it's easier to kill them instead. also, i've found great weapons and/or weapons with larger swinging arcs tend to work better because you might catch more than one person in each attack, and i won a fair few invasions off an unintentional hit on the host where my sword tagged them by luck when i was chopping at a phantom or whatever.

does the armor reduction percentages the game show you matter, like at all? my dude is in medium armor right now and most bosses (dancer, consumed king, yhorm, etc.) can sometimes 1 shot me, if not 2-3 shot me reliably. in a lot of cases, it seems like once they tag me, i just get into a loop where there's not enough of a break to heal before i eat another attack, so i need to heal, eat an attack, etc. repeat until i am dead. do i really have to wear something like smough's armor before i see some survivability, or does even the heaviest stuff not really make a difference in how many hits it takes a boss to wipe you? i ask because it's super frustrating to more or less have a boss pattern down, but still take a bunch of attempts to win because the boss tags me once and whoops i am dead.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if i am reading the sparse info online correctly, then the "armor" value that you see when you are comparing pieces of armor (3.1 or 12.5 or 9.2 or whatever) is the flat reduction that is taken off of each attack. so if an attack does 100 damage and you have a total of 20 armor, you take 80 damage. then, the percentage that you see after the armor number is additional mitigation that gets applied to this reduced number, so if you have 20 / 20% and you take 100 damage, you reduce the damage by 20 first, and then reduce the 80 by another 20%, and that's the total damage you take.

the thing is, it seems like there's not a lot of variation between the armor value on the lightest, piece of crap armor, and the heaviest fat-rolling armor. for example, the lightest headgear has an armor score of .5 (pyro crown) and the heaviest has an armor score of 5.8 (havel's). assuming the game rounds fractions up to nearest whole numbers, on a 100 damage attack, that's the difference between taking 99 points of damage, and taking 94 points of damage. chest armor gets a little more competitive, where the lowest armor score is 2.7 (master's) and the highest is 16.2 (havel's again) so on a 100 damage attack, that's the difference between taking 97 points of damage, and taking 84 points of damage.

now, that might seem like wow, if you just stack all the heaviest armor, you could get a 100 damage attack down to less than half the actual damage! which might be true, but keep in mind that's a 100 damage attack, and the damage reduction from armor is a flat reduction. most boss attacks (the damage most people would care the most about) is dealing way more than 100 points of damage per hit. taking a 1000 damage attack and reducing it to 944 damage doesn't seem like such a big deal, especially if you don't even have 944 health while in full ember mode.

so to me, all this is showing is that armor is somewhat useful if you expect that your enemy is going to be using light weapons with fast, low damage attacks, because the flat damage reduction gets you the most bang for your buck there, but it's pretty much useless if you're more interested in trying to protect against bigger, slower power hits, because the flat reduction is less beneficial.

there's poise too, but again from what i can glean online, it seems like poise works differently than other DS games / than people would expect. people are thinking in DS3 poise is just added to your iframes if your attack offers hyper armor (say a greatsword r2) so that your attack now has slightly more hyper armor and so if you go to trade a hit with someone, you're more likely to win the trade and now you can follow up with the rest of your combo. but it doesn't seem like poise is actively letting you just walk into an oncoming attack and ignore said attack and start up your own attack animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Viperix posted:

I'm beginning to wonder how viable a light armor/heavy weapon, no shield character is. It just feels like everything has more poise, is faster, and does more damage. I'm also wondering if a pure sorcerer is viable for the same reasons. There are some bosses you simply have no time to blink, let alone get a spell or heavy attack off.

Thoughts? Also, on the heavy weapon note, are the Great/Large clubs still good?

light / med armor and greatsword and no shield is how i've played DS2 & 3. it's extremely viable, you just have to get on point with dodging and you'll probably have to make several attempts at each boss unless you get a lucky break on the first run through, because you have to learn their patterns well enough to know when to dodge and what way to roll, because you can't actually take a hit for poo poo and especially the later bosses in this game (everything pontiff and beyond) hit like loving trucks and if you misgauge even one attack it's YOU DEAD run back from the last bonfire try again.