Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I finished the demo and... I'm kinda surprised to see all the praise? I don't know what I'm missing.

Pretty much everyone was quickly killed by a dash behind and then three light combos from high stance, levels were ugly, and the level layout was bland. Worst is just that the combat feels limp and floaty, animations just lack any oomph or feedback. Like this is everything I didn't like about DS2 amplified, more or less.

I think the first boss is where it just completely lost me. He spins those big metal balls and... they kind of just slide around soundlessly without much feeling of inertia or momentum? If they hit you you lose health but your character doesn't flinch? It just feels so amateurish. That had better just be the alpha nature of the demo, and not just the demo being called "alpha" so people will forgive such poo poo.

Sucks because the *idea* of a samurai Souls sounds great, and the stance system is a solid concept... but the execution is just so flaccid. If it's truly an alpha then maybe the combat will become more engrossing by release, but I think that would probably require a pretty major reworking of the animation which certainly won't happen. If it's released in winter or later I'll give it another look... but if they announce a summer or fall release then I'll know there's no way they've fixed things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

So what is the actual difference between stances? I 100% specced into maxing out mid-stance sword but I think it was stupid on my part

High stance has slow heavy hits that stagger and deal a ton of damage but leave you open, low stance does really fast hits that you can get in between dodges, mid stance tends to work a bit better for blocking and its wide sweeping attacks are good for crowd control with some weapons. So high is heavy offense, mid is more defense, low is dodging and rolling.

I kind of wound up using high like a two handed greatsword in Souls, mid like a claymore, and low like daggers. Not that the play styles wind up being exactly 1-to-1 between the games, but they feel similar. The fact that you can rapidly switch between the three, as well as have weapons at any given time allows for a lot of rapid changes in combat. You essentially have 6 different move-sets a button press away at any time.

I didn't really branch out from katanas and axes though, and axes I only used in high stance to deal lots of damage against demons. I'm probably missing a bunch.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

First boss is easily killed by doing on heavy high-stance axe attack, running to the other side of the room, then running back in tor one more heavy axe attack, and keep repeating. In the second phase you just keep running behind him until you see an opening, then do a single light high stance axe attack (can't reliable get a heavy off).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I couldn't find a way to reliably dodge his balls if I was in range of them, iframing through attacks doesn't seem to be a thing here and those balls cover 360 degrees. So I'd get one heavy attack in, then dash to the opposite side of the room. It's pretty easy that way.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Were the perfectly timed ki pulses super hard for anyone else? I completed both the alpha and beta demos a few times, but could just never get the hang of pulsing when the ki makes a circle with any kind of consistency. It's something that's made me probably unreasonably nervous about the game, since pulsing correctly is such an important mechanic for fighting demons and such.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alteisen posted:

I found her pretty easy to be honest, though I did have experience with her from the beta. :sweatdrop:

Key things are her biggest openings is when she swoops at you and when she does her little combo with kicks but ONLY if she attacks 3 times, also remember to stay in low stance when she's shooting crap at you as that stance has the highest I frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTHh5heTcI

Here's me killing her on my first go, she got me once with the paralysis.

Does anyone know what the variable is that causes paralysis to last longer/shorter? When she gets you with the paralysis orb, it only lasts a few seconds. When I get hit it's long enough for her to fly across the room, do two full combos, and take me from full health to nothing. Seriously, it lasts for loving eveerrrr.

It'd be an easy fight without that BS, so I'm wondering if I need to be mashing buttons (That seemed to actually effect stances and inventory so I hope not) or equipping/unquipping something?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Genocyber posted:

They were using anti-paralytic needles to cure it.

Ah, I completely forgot that I've been picking those up. Thanks.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

None of those things define Dark Souls on their own, but in succession they amplify how plagiarized it feels which is exactly my point.

Not really. Not at all.

But those things in succession were in the Koei Tecmo's own pre-DS games? Did those things in succession make DS a ripoff?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

I'm not sure that tha kodama are mission specific. My kodama blessing is never reduced when I start a new mission, and I think you can select kodama blessing at the Starting Point shrine.

They aren't mission specific, they are region specific. You travel between several different regions of Japan, each of which serves as a sort of chapter with many missions. When you start a new region/chapter, you start your kodama collection from scratch. They're worth finding because the final fights of each region are seem balanced for having at least the extra healing item stock they give you.

Is anyone else feeling like they nerfed the difficulty a hair too much from the beta? I briefly got hung up on batgirl, because I didn't understand the paralysis mechanic, and then had a tough time with optional boss at the end of the first region (The lord you duel in the tall grass. He was great but honestly seems out of place difficulty wise). But other than those two fights I've been cruising without much difficulty. I just finished the boss in the mines in the second region... and I haven't upgraded or switched gear in forever because I already feel overpowered. I'm not even learning half of the mechanics because mid-stance axe is just good for seemingly everything.

I'm absolutely loving the game, but I could do with having it be just a touch more lethal. Probably midway between the beta and the final build would have been ideal.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Harrow posted:

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

That's kind of a shame if it's that much easier. Maybe it's just that those of us who played the demos have something of a head start on learning how things work, so the early/mid-game is a lot easier for us? Someone earlier in the thread said that enemies start to get a lot more lethal past the halfway point of NG, but I'm not sure if being at the "second region" means you're already past that or not.

If nothing else, what I've seen from people who made it to NG+ suggests that it's going to have some pretty crazy challenges in it, so if nothing else, there's that to look forward to.

Nah, I think I'm still pretty early on. The second region is maybe five main missions in? Like I've played a ton of hours, but most of that is side missions (Which get much better, with their own large unique maps and NPC storylines. Not just reverse routes with harder enemies).

It probably is just that I'm not that far in. Would make sense for the beta to have early levels tuned to mid-game difficulty, so as to give Souls veterans an idea of gameplay without giving any spoilers.

Anyone know how many regions there are in total?

EDIT: Okay, I don't know how many regions there are, but there are 20 main missions. So, I'm like a quarter of the way into the main story and barely into the full content if you include side stuff. Either way, definitely not at the midpoint.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 8, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I love how the localization team appear to be excellent translators who just do not understand gameplay mechanics at all. Like, all the narrative stuff, all the descriptions of regions and history, and all the unlockable biographies are totally fine. And grammatically all of the item and ability descriptions are correct too. They just don't reflect what any of those really do.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I feel like this game wasn't balanced for people who do every single side mission as soon as it's available. I feel like I've been super OP for most of the game. Haven't had a really challenging fight since the dude in the tall grass in the first region. It's still fun and good, but I'd like a bit more tension in the challenge. I guess I should have been less of a completionist? But it seems like if I'd skipped the side stuff for later, then that would have been too easy upon returning. Hrm.

Also, a bit over 3/4 of the way through the story missions and I'm still only using mid-stance axes (Except during a couple of bosses that move too fast for it. I briefly switched to low stance for them). I have the problem in all the Souls games of just rocking the greatswords and never branching out. The mid-stance axe feels about the same as those in terms of range, speed, and arc... so the same problem is following me to Nioh.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many levels are there? With all these sub-missions it seems like even if there aren't that many locations, I will be playing this for a while. I always like that with Souls-type games I spend more time trying to beat the first area than I do with some whole Call of Duty campgaigns

There are 15 story missions, and a ton of side missions. Each story mission has its own zone. It seems like there are one or two side-mission exclusive zones (as in not main mission in reverse or remixed versions of earlier side missions) for each region. So probably a little over 20 unique zones total, which is on par with a Souls game. Most of the story zones after the first region are really big too.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

If you think its too easy just stop leveling up or changing gear. You can keep doing side-missions just don't necessarily take advantage of all the extra amrita. Pretend you died or something :shrug:

Yeah if I'd known that would happen in advance I would have done it. People said that enemies became much more lethal at the halfway point, though. So, I was nervous about being gimped going into it. And I still am hesitant to stop leveling because I'd hate to run into a final boss that will require tons of grinding because I hadn't been leveling as I went or something.

That kind of self-imposed handicap really requires advanced knowledge of how the difficulty will scale. Not really feasible for a first run.

Also, there are missions that require stats to be at a certain level to unlock... so I'd have to skip those.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you are looking for a challenge isn't that what New Game+ is for? I mean, I've died 170 times in the first two levels so I'm kind of glad they have some kind of curve to things

Hopefully it's what the main game is for? If I have to play 80+ hours to get to the level of challenge I want... I don't have that kind of time.

Like, I want the tension that Bloodborne gives you when you're going up against its bosses the first time through. Nioh's all go down a bit easy for my tastes.

I'm still loving the game, this is just one disappointment I have with it.

Edit: To clarify, the first region was tuned just right for me. I died to the bosses I hadn't already learned from the beta a few times, which is what should happen. Everything after that has gone down in one or two goes without much trouble, though... and that's just a little unsatisfying.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 10, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ To add to what Zaphod said, you can tell he's going to do his laser when his "mouth" is on level with the floor. If it's higher up he's just going to shoot debris or yokai realm clouds.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lots of other people are massively struggling. Its hard to make something one-size-fits-all. Hopefully the campaign isn't a complete breeze for you, or you're a god like belzac I guess :v:

Soloing twilight missions should give you a pretty good challenge as well as NG+, and doesn't take quite as long as getting all the way through. Today's twilight missions are some of the earlier ones unlike yesterday where it was late game missions, so everybody should have them available.

Heh, I mean I don't think I'm an amazing player... but maybe I've just played these sorts of games too much. DS3 had the exact same issue for me, so it's possible I guess. I haven't tried twilight missions yet, I thought they were for coop. I'll give them a shot during my next play session though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 10, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

HellCopter posted:

Re: Umi-bozu, I don't recommend dipping your sword in the braziers. The flames auto-kill the adds that the boss occasionally summons, but using them on your weapon puts them out (until you respawn).

If you imbue your blade with the braziers the adds go down in one hit and they only do chip damage anyway... Autokilled adds are nothing compared to the damage boost an imbued blade gives you against the boss.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

How the gently caress are you killing the adds in 1 hit? With my bade on fire, in high stance, with a weapon damage of 270, it takes me 4 hits to kill an add.

Edit: somtimes they randomly pop in 2 hits, but I could never figure out why.

Guess I dumped more levels into my damage modifier than is maybe typical. That's normally the first order of business in Souls, so I did the same thing here.

The two hit pop is probably whether or not you're hitting them while their core is exposed. The axe is helped me there because it nukes ki/whatever-the-yokai-version-of-ki-is-called quickly, making them vulnerable rapidly.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Axe is nice because in addition to a wide sweep and the ability to keep enemies ki at 0, it's second swing on medium or first on heavy lines up perfectly with yokai horns, so they're always debuffed and spend a lot of time stunned.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Welp, finished the main story, epilogue, and every side mission... except the two post-game impossible boss fight missions that seems to be there to encourage you to play NG+ missions in order to level for them. (Has anyone taken down those duos with just their post-game character?). I also played a couple of the NG+ variants of early missions.

Verdict: Game is fantastic. Like I said earlier in the thread, I do wish the difficulty was tuned a little higher (The NG+/Beta enemy placement during NG would have taken it 90% of the way to what I wanted. Some trickier move sets on bosses would have sealed the deal), but I think I'm in the minority and the game is still great as is. The approach to NG+ is really awesome as well. Not just remixed levels, but also new mechanics to play with and improve as well. Plus it's designed in such a way that you'll have to explore standard NG abilities that you didn't learn the first time because you need every tool available to stay alive. Really forces you to explore the full depth of the combat (and it is deep.)

Bombadilillo posted:

Boy. This plot sure just bounces off my brain. I have no idea what's going on.

Cliffnotes:

William was saved from death as a child by a guardian spirit born from his prayers, it makes him immortal in the Dark Souls sense and also guides and absorbs a magical stone called Amrita. The stones grant magical power and are being used for war in Europe by an alchemist called Edward Kelley. William thought they were just a monetary thing, so when he learns their true purpose he refuses to continue helping find it. As a result, he is imprisoned and his guardian spirit is stolen so that Kelley can find Amrita himself. Japan has a lot of it, so Kelley goes there and William chases in an attempt to rescue his spirit.

Then, by pure chance, Williams chase for Kelley causes him to rub shoulders with every notable historical figure from the period and participate in every major battle and political plot from the era. Also, all those historical events were actually powered by amrita, spirits, and demons. Who knew?

There's an in-depth recap and some biographies that are unlocked as-you-go in the map menu.

(It doesn't matter very much though.)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Byolante posted:

For the life of me I can't kill onrikyo (the first boss). I completed all the dark souls games and bloodborne but this seems a fridge too far

If you've come from From games then Onryoki has some attacks that will feel counter-intuitive to dodge because you need to run, not dash/roll, from them. The first is his 360-degree ball spin, which can be dodged, but is easier to run from. Just be aware of where the walls are and make sure you're running to the furthest one, not just away from him. The second attack is in the second stage when he throws balls. This one must be run from, because it actually homes in on your position like a missile even if you dodge behind him. It cannot be dashed or rolled from, but if you run parallel to it then it will never hit. I personally think that attack is bullshit which is only acceptable because the boss is kind of weak. Fortunately, the game doesn't really pull that kind of trick again.

Otherwise, make sure you ki pulse to clear yokai realms or you won't have enough ki to dash/run. He gave me hell in the beta, but once I figured out the pulse and the run he's not so bad. Everything else is just standard attack baiting (Stand in front to get his forward slams, roll behind as he slams, do damage, run away because he will always spin when you are behind him. Try to be on the back right side, because he has a fast partial spin that can get you on the back left.)

Also, the first regions bosses are the hardest imo. Maybe I got good, or maybe I out-leveled the game by rarely losing bloodstains and doing all side content. But, after the optional final duel in the first region, I never died to a boss more than three times. Don't let the difficulty of the beginning bosses put you off the game though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 12, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah maybe distance is also a solution, but my Soulsborne brain forces me to stick my face right into every giant monster's backside.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Some of you guys mentioned that spears make the game easier. I did my entire NG run with axes 'cause they felt like Souls' Greatswords, but decided to give a spear a try during NG+ since I had decent stats for them. Instantly see what everyone meant. Against human enemies this poo poo just feels broken. Even NG+ dev revenants are trivialized.

katkillad2 posted:

I'm 2/3rd's through the game according to the mission total, I don't want it to end :smith:.

It's actually a little longer than the mission total would have you think. Also, unlike From games, the NG+/post-game experience is really good.

Snak posted:

the first bosses thrown balls can be easily dodge, you just have to dodge after he throws. If you dodge before, he'll just re-aim.

Not unless he is different in NG+. The balls will literally change trajectory, to the point of reversing in air.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 12, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alteisen posted:

What part of him is giving you trouble exactly?

When he's chained he tends to smack you with the balls and spin around if you get behind him, he's quite slow when he's doing this and dodging is not really that hard, the tell is huge from when he swings to when it actually connects and his spin is so slow that even if he guard breaks you he can't follow up.

When he breaks free of the chains then he starts hunting you down a bit more, this is the point you wanna get a hit or two in and back off, especially if gets behind you cause his counter attack for people behind him is really fast, his dangerous move is when he sorta flails left and right then does a spin and lands on the ground, the body splash can one shot, but the tell for the attack is pretty obvious and it doesn't track either so just keep an eye on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42w9_0_v0_g

This is from the beta and how I managed to take him down after tons of tries like the description says, its about as safe as you can get, give it a try.

Oh wow, he has a different throwing animation and the balls move way slower in that vid, was that how NG was too? When I fought him in NG+ he threw underhand and loving fast with almost no startup animation. When people were saying "just dodge late" I was like "there is no late... it's instant?" But seeing this the recommendation makes more sense.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Punching looks cool. But popping 3 buffs for ultra damage and not getting cool new weapons seems a boring way to play.

Eh, it's smart to pop damage buffs for any class and movesets are the same for every weapon in a class? So unless you really like weapon skins, it's not really different.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Holy poo poo the Sekigahara mission is my favorite so far. Mission/story spoiler: Sneaking behind enemy lines in the middle of a war and using the sneak talisman and axing everyone in the back was :black101:

I'm not sure I get the complaints about level design in this game. There's lots of variety, I've even got lost a few times and that's never happened in Dark Souls.

That was my favorite level in the game by far. A totally different sort of map for a Soulslike, but it worked incredibly well with the mechanics. Choosing how to navigate through the different hazards was awesome. There are several different paths through it, all formed by enemy placement rather than geometry. It's kind of what From was going for with Ariandel, but executed far better.

I do think most of the levels rank are a hair less below average (Non DS2) Souls map, but it also never has the lows of Souls worst areas either. Also, a lot of Nioh maps are recreations of real-world locations, which is both very cool and somewhat limiting.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I get the impression that it's a sort of common knowledge history thing in Japan. Similar to that Assassin's Creed game about the Revolution (but not terrible).

Yeah essentially. You're a dude searching for a McGuffin, and the hunt takes you to both every famous person and every notable event from the era, and the levels include detailed recreations of famous landmarks. Just remove the future scifi bits and replace them with a heavy dose of folklore.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There is a door that must be "opened from the other side" in the big boat the coastline side map. I have been running around this empty map for like 15 minutes and I cannot see a way to get to the other side. Anyone know?

The last kodama is in there :argh:.

Edit: Figured it out. You break the floor above it. Didn't know you could attack floors.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 13, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lol, the first side mission on the shipwreck coastline map has a bullshit ending in NG+. Not only is the final fight really tough, but every enemy in the zone will follow you not just to, but through the boss door. So, unless you fancy fighting more enemies than the engine can properly handle at once along plus the boss, you have to kill everything on the way to the boss door every time, and there is only one shrine at the start of the map.

Gnumonic posted:

Man Yamato No-Orochi is incredibly frustrating and kind of bullshit design. (Sure is fun to try to avoid attacks from literally every direction at once while praying that the heads decide to wiggle within range of your attacks.) Really wish the game would have just ended with Nobunaga.

He's actually really easy. The first two phases are straightforward and the trick to the third is to stay near the edge and kill the heads one by one moving clockwise. The stones will protect you from the only other head that is not blocked by the roof, and you can bait the one you are fighting into a slam attack that stuns them long enough to kill them. It's kind of a trivial victory lap once you figure it out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alright, what are everyone's best techniques for cheesing yokai? Two of the ninja yokai on ng+ in an enclosed space that require refighting the entire map for each attempt is just too much.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 13, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

Can we also stop spoiling the cool surprises of ng+?

That poo poo would have been hilarious if it had happened to me and I wasn't expecting it.

Game is dope, thread is good, just, lots of people play at different paces.

I'm pretty sure the boss door letting normal enemies through is a bug? Are bugs spoilers? The fight is the same as NG just harder.

Edit: One detail might be different, I'll spoil it just in case. Also, finished it with sloth. Thank god for sloth.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 13, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I'm at Mt. Hiei, how far into the game am I at this point?

Pretty close to the end. Three or four main missions if I recall correctly.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

So I found this loving sweet gun and set, and I've been completely destroying levels. It auto-targets weak spots, gives life back when you hit a weak spot, and the 7 piece bonus is crazy good. Add that to the ninjitsu that lets you get bullets back when you headshot people, and i'm just waltzing my way through levels with my stupid good gun.

I'm a good way into NG+ and have explored every area thoroughly. I haven't seen anything like this, though. Jealous.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If it's not green I just convert to amrita :v:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^ I did, but by gaining levels and abilities in NG+ and coming back, plus using sloth on one with lifeseal on the other.

RatHat posted:

You should probably disassemble them/sell them to the Blacksmith. As you use her you'll get points you can use to unlock discounts, extra items in the shop, ect. The amrita conversion rate is ridiculously low anyway.

I'm more than halfway through NG+ and have not used the blacksmith once :v:

I have got received a ton levels out of amrita conversion, though.

I don't like messing around with equipment and there doesn't seem to be a need. Just putting on whatever has the biggest numbers, or has an awesome perk, has done me fine.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 13, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

When you start messing with gear synergy, things can get really silly. I'm up to about 120% damage hitting enemies from the rear, and 40% bonus ki damage. Big Yokai go down in seconds.

I was already disappointed by how OP I felt in the late game... so I'm kind of glad I haven't touched any of the blacksmith stuff.

I have sooooooo much gold though. And nothing to spend it on.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Also he looked like something off an 80s metal album cover. That's not a bad thing but weirdly out of place.

Gashadokuro are a staple of Japenese folklore. :eng101: Traditional illustrations of them do look like 80s metal albums, though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man some of the NG+ stuff is just straight-up unfun bullshit. Hey, let's add raven yokai to boss fights in tiny arenas with deadly ledges!

Christ man. I've platinumed every one of From's Soulsborne games, and NG was a bit easy for my taste... but I am not going to be able to finish all of NG+. I can't take this poo poo even when cheesing with magic.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 14, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xalidur posted:

Just beat the frog boss. I loved the design of his entire level, enough that I wish it had been longer. So far this is surely my Game of the Year, and I might even like it more than a couple of the Souls games. I mostly use axes, with a spear backup for when I need more range and/or cheese. I recently started "perfect" ki pulsing way more frequently instead of just dodging, and it greatly improved my axe-murdering experience.

Anyone that has finished it have a %completion estimate for me? I really don't want this game to end and the plot makes it seem like I might be closing in.

You've still got a good chunk left to go.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Harrow posted:

I found that it started to pick up again in the last few main missions. Where I am now, enemies have a lot more health and come in groups much more often. And apparently NG+ just gets completely bullshit, according to another poster on this page.

I think that was me. FWIW, the main missions of NG+ are fine. Even runs into the same issue of the last half being easier than the first, like the NG. Some of the side missions have some real bullshit though.

I think the latter half being easier is largely the got gud effect, but because there are no new enemy types. By mid-game you've learned how to fight every enemy, so there's little challenge. Even the bosses are really similar to fight. In NG+ it's the same because you've learned how to deal with the new enemy combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I loving hate these guys. I have no idea why because they telegraph most of their moves really well but I have the worst goddamn time fighting them.

They're fine on their own but awful in groups of any kind. Super mobile, 360 attacks, ranged attacks, and a lot of health for a common enemy. The first three points mean they're really lethal and hard to avoid while picking off other enemies. The final point means that if you try to take them out first, you have to avoid the other enemies attacks for a long period of time.

I'm glad sloth exists, because "Just add a couple Raven Tengu to the group" seems to be the devs' favorite way to spice up NG+ side missions. I'm pretty sure I've died more times to Raven Tengu groups now than I have to all the bosses combined.